Wiper relay replacement

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Re: Wiper relay replacement

Postby ravi261 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Gizmo's right. I checked the continuity of the all the wires that go to the wiper motor between the connector at the motor to the quick disconnect in the body (It's right behind the jack compartment where the factory trailer wiring harness plugs in). Sure enough one wire was getting no signal no matter what I tried.

The wire in question is the light green with black striped wire. I believe this is the ground signal from the rear wiper relay, hence the reason the wiper keeps going simply because it's not receiving the signal to stop.

Haven't replaced it yet because I have to work late, but hopefully I can do it tomorrow and report back from anyone wondering. I plan on just replacing the entire wire from connector to connector, but reuse the pins that go on the wire into the connector.

The odd part is the harness is perfect. No scrapes or tears on the surface anywhere. So somehow only one wire in the entire thing got ripped apart or something.
ravi261
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 67 times

Sponsor

Postby ravi261 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm

I got a chance to look at it a little while ago, and it was the green with black striped wire. It somehow managed to get cut perfectly in the wiring harness. I opened up the harness and looked at all the other wires. Good as new. Puzzling in my opinion. I located the other end and after some solder and heat shrink tubing it was as good as new. Man was I happy when I turned on that wiper and it worked correctly haha. Wrapped up the entire harness with thick electrical tape to make sure it would be good and put it all back together.

So if you're wiper is continuously moving back and forth regardless of whether the switch is pushed or not, check the light green wire w/black stripe. It's probably the culprit.
ravi261
Donor
Donor

Postby roving4s » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Bringing a old thread back to life.

Got a similar problem with a 98 rodeo, front works perfect. Rear has to be disconnected or it never shuts off, changed the switch still doesn't cut off. I've read from page 1-7 before I decided to track down the issue, just looking for idea's. Or solutions from people who have had the same problem.
roving4s
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Tonythefish » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Seems mouser is out of stock and discontinued . Does anyone have any relays ?
Tonythefish
Drives on Pavement

Postby ravi261 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 pm

roving4s wrote:Bringing a old thread back to life.

Got a similar problem with a 98 rodeo, front works perfect. Rear has to be disconnected or it never shuts off, changed the switch still doesn't cut off. I've read from page 1-7 before I decided to track down the issue, just looking for idea's. Or solutions from people who have had the same problem.

Read the post right above yours :D

ravi261 wrote:So if you're wiper is continuously moving back and forth regardless of whether the switch is pushed or not, check the light green wire w/black stripe. It's probably the culprit.
1999 3.2 V6 4wd Rodeo LS 178k 4L30-E
For the 1st time since 2006, everything works! (including ABS :) )
ravi261
Donor
Donor

Postby Amigo-2k » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 pm

So the non-stop rear wiper thing started happening on my hard top Amigo tonight ... reading above it looks like I need to look for a break in the back and green wire ... otherwise I'm probably going to pull the switch and just pop in a blank ...

I replaced the circuit board about 9 yrs ago ...
Amigo-2k
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Danny1976 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Does anyone know where I can get the relay FTR-P1CN012N? I cant find it anywhere.
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dingbat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:42 am

That seems to be marked as obsolete by Mouser, maybe FTR-G1CN012W1 would work as a replacement?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fuj ... cWQA%3d%3d
1997 UCS7VF (Rodeo / Passport / Frontera)
Wry Wench build thread
3-inch Calmini Lift Kit, Indy4x 1.5-inch Leaf Lift
Dingbat
Trail Master

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby Danny1976 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Dingbat wrote:That seems to be marked as obsolete by Mouser, maybe FTR-G1CN012W1 would work as a replacement?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fuj ... cWQA%3d%3d

Thanks for the reply...I am not sure, since the specs on amp and volt are different and also the shape is rectangular and not square. The shape may not fit together with the other relays. Althought the pins apparently look to be in the same location. I am going to email them to see if it could be used as a replacement, but thanks a lot for the reply.
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dingbat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Going back to the first few posts here, it looks like the "inner" relay which is wrapped in rubber is still available, not sure which of the two listed would be what you want. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... FBR51ND12W
Wry Wench build thread
Dingbat
Trail Master

Postby Danny1976 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 pm

would that relay replace the FTR-P1CN012n?
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Danny1976 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Dingbat wrote:Going back to the first few posts here, it looks like the "inner" relay which is wrapped in rubber is still available, not sure which of the two listed would be what you want. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... FBR51ND12W

For what I can see the FBR51ND12-W1 is a good match for the FTR-01CN012N. The only difference I saw was on the Coil Current which is 35A and the original one is 30A. But I guess that would not have any effect. Thank for you continuous help...I really appreciated.
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Danny1976 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Dingbat wrote:Going back to the first few posts here, it looks like the "inner" relay which is wrapped in rubber is still available, not sure which of the two listed would be what you want. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... FBR51ND12W

Do you know if there is a place on the US that sells this relay?
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dingbat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Retail no idea, online it appears that mouser, amazon.com, etc. have them.
Wry Wench build thread
Dingbat
Trail Master

Postby Danny1976 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Dingbat wrote:Retail no idea, online it appears that mouser, amazon.com, etc. have them.

I went ahead and ordered the FBR51ND12-W1 and I got in the mail today. Its smaller in size compare to the FTR-P1CN012N. You say the other one looks bigger because is wrapped or has a cover on it? I dont want to break the case of the relay and then find out its not a case.
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dingbat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Gizmo42 wrote:I bought mine from Mouser Electronics for $5.10 each. Apparently they stock the original Fujitsu ones now. Part number 817-FTR-P1CN012N. I ordered 3 since I wasnt sure which was the rear wiper and just replaced them all.

As a side note, if you break one open you will find a smaller Fujitsu FBR-51ND12-W relay inside wrapped in rubber. Thats how they make them quiet.

I have not had to perform this repair, I was just going off the above.
I would also be reluctant to crack the old one open as well, until after the replacement was working and proved the old part to be bad.
Wry Wench build thread
Dingbat
Trail Master

Postby lanerw » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Danny1976 wrote:
Dingbat wrote:Retail no idea, online it appears that mouser, amazon.com, etc. have them.

I went ahead and ordered the FBR51ND12-W1 and I got in the mail today. Its smaller in size compare to the FTR-P1CN012N. You say the other one looks bigger because is wrapped or has a cover on it? I dont want to break the case of the relay and then find out its not a case.

Have you attempted this yet? I'm anxious to see if that will solve my problem since everything at the local junkyard was already taken.
lanerw
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby BigSwede » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:38 pm

I have no info...I just dropped in to see what 7 pages about "Wiper relay replacement" looks like...
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 252 times

Postby Danny1976 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:39 pm

lanerw wrote:
Danny1976 wrote:

Have you attempted this yet? I'm anxious to see if that will solve my problem since everything at the local junkyard was already taken.

I have to buy a soldering machine...I will buy one tomorrow and try it over the weekend.
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby -88- » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:21 pm

BigSwede wrote:I have no info...I just dropped in to see what 7 pages about "Wiper relay replacement" looks like...

That's the whole reason i came in here! Then i was like wow; brain anerism....got any cliff notes?
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby lanerw » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:02 pm

-88- wrote:
BigSwede wrote:I have no info...I just dropped in to see what 7 pages about "Wiper relay replacement" looks like...

That's the whole reason i came in here! Then i was like wow; brain anerism....got any cliff notes?

Here's my cliff notes (I didn't have time to add all the pictures in but the pages they are on are referenced within)

1. Seems to be a wide variety of different boards used by Isuzu – You may want to you’re your own (or replace all relays)
____ a. See page one for pictures
____ b. Another picture here: http://s100.photobucket.com/user/SP3-32 ... 1.jpg.html
____ c. Amigo picture – page 3
2. To test relays
____ a. 12V DC tester (don’t use 120V AC tester)
____ b. Remove circuit board from case
________ i. BUT plug it in
____ c. Turn ignition on
____ d. Connect alligator clip to ground (resistive ground, not wire straight to ground)
____ e. Probe the solder points on the back of the board to see what it does (test light acts as resistive ground – will make the wiper work)
________ i. Each relay has 5 solder points (one side has a set of 2, the other side has 3 with the middle offset)
________ ii. Side with 2 – normally open and normally closed contacts. Grounding one of those should operate the wiper
________ iii. Side with 3 – offset middle is the common. 2 outers are the + and – for the coil which make the relay operate.
_____________ 1. Touching one will do nothing, the other side will make relay click
________ iv. See page 5 for schematic
3. Problems with windshield wipers only working on low or high but not intermittent
____ a. You can replace the Alarm module (located under the dash – remove glove box and it is mounted vertically on the right hand side) for around $200
________ i. Held on by one screw and a clip (some need to be pushed up, mine needed to be pulled down and out)
________ ii. Part no. varies. Made by Denso
____ b. OR you can replace the relays (soldered on to a PCB board in the alarm module) – remove the alarm module mounted vertically on the far right side of the dash (remove glove box to get to it)
________ i. Fujitsu FTR P1CN012N relays are used – no longer available anywhere
_____________ 1. They are FBR-51ND12-W relays wrapped in rubber(?) – readily available
______________________ http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-General-P ... R51ND12-W1
______________________ http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... R51ND12-W1 (currently cheaper on Mouser as Amazon price increased)
________ ii. To replace the relay you will need to desolder the old one – use a desoldering braid and a soldering iron.
____ c. Also check the light green wire with white stripe on the smaller connector going into the board
4. Problems with rear wipers
____ a. Relay giving out
________ i. Symptoms – run once, stop, then jogs a tiny bit, pause, jogs again, stops
_____________ 1. Other – stick or move erratically
________ ii. Replace relay or whole board as indicated above
____ b. Could also be a bad wire in the tailgate
________ i. If it runs continuously – bad wire in tailgate or bad connection
_____________ 1. If connection in plug is bad – you can cut it off and use insulated spade connectors
_____________ 2. Check wires behind jack compartment (light green with black stripe)
Last edited by lanerw on Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this post the author lanerw was thanked by:
NorthernFirepower
lanerw
Drives on Pavement

Postby Gizmo42 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 pm

Nice Cliff notes! I should probably check this section more often. I will be interested to know how the FBR relays work out. It's been so long since I've done this I forgot about that.
--Dave
onetouch wrote:You're doomed Giz.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Have thanks: 132 times

Postby lanerw » Wed May 14, 2014 6:49 pm

After striking out at the junkyard (every alarm control module was taken) and on craigslist (either no response or it was taken), I went ahead and ordered the FBR Relays. I will update this once they arrive and I have a chance to try it (Unless Danny1976 beats me to it).
lanerw
Drives on Pavement

Postby lanerw » Sat May 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I haven't dug too far into this yet. My soldering skills do not appear to be up to par (the old junker board I had to practice on seemed easy but I am struggling with this one (can't seem to get the relay off). One relay was already badly cracked so I decided to open it up the rest of the way. It says 51ND12-N (the links above were both -W1 instead of -N). It is also mounted sideways with a little board and wires going to the other leads. I need more time to dig in further before I can confirm whether I could get it working.
lanerw
Drives on Pavement

Postby Dingbat » Fri May 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Mouser has the 51ND12-N, but I would not order that from them with the 200 qty minimum and 21 week lead time.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fuj ... auY/RVRg==
Wry Wench build thread
Dingbat
Trail Master

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Fame