Wiper relay replacement

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Postby Smiff 24 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:43 pm

YES! (Thanks to the great posts here)
RY-6 was the correct relay, wipers work on low & high and
park in the down position when turned off.
Intermitten still dosent work so I wonder if RY-3 or RY-4
controls the intermitten or if something else is wrong?
(pic of my board is 1 page back,bottom of page)
Smiff 24
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Works Good !

Postby Jetinsp2 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey All, Thanks for the great work outlining the details of this silly engineering anomaly/issue ? I got the 3 new relays , did the surgery , and front wipers work as advertised ! Still nothing in the back ( Wiper/washer/heat and I do not have a good wiring diagram yet ) , so I will keep working on that and update in case what I do helps others ? I did find a note somewhere else saying that the wiring in the hinge area is prone to damage , so I will disassemble that asap, and see if it is cut . I also figured it might be something to do with the lock cutout feature , so will check that if the wiring looks Ok ? Wiring sounds suspect though ? Thanks loads again for all the helpful feedback , pix and notes ! Gotta love the Net !
Jetinsp2
Drives on Pavement

Postby Gizmo42 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Not sure where to start on yours. I do know that when my rear wiper kept sticking on and I pulled the fuse (in the dash panel) for the rear wiper the rear defrost wouldnt work. The light on the switch wouldnt even come on and didnt hear the relay click. Hopefully that will help some.
--Dave
onetouch wrote:You're doomed Giz.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Have thanks: 132 times

Thanks !

Postby Jetinsp2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am

That might be a good clue as that is exactly what is occuring on mine. Basically nobodys home at the front switch ? No lights or any activity , totally dead . I checked the fuse and no joy. There is a relay in the breaker box that says aft wiper, and I will check that, and the switch plug , if the wiring back there at the hinge is good , as a relay kaput would be a good possibility ? I appreciate your interest, and will keep the forum informed to keep the knowledge base improving ! I wish I had an accurte wiring diagram , that would simplify things. The Chilton book at Advance Auto was junk, so I will have to find or order either haynes, or OEM I guess to get any help there ? Regards, Stan
Jetinsp2
Drives on Pavement

Postby Gizmo42 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Which vehicle do you have? I have an electronic manual with some good diagrams. Will have to wait till I get home to see if the link to them still works, dont have it bookmarked on this puter.
--Dave
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Postby Jetinsp2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I have an 02 base model 2wd with 4 banger ! Not very powerful, but it is in like new, beautiful condition inside and out ! Thanks for any help Gizmo !!! Stan
Jetinsp2
Drives on Pavement

Postby Gizmo42 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 pm

PM sent with link to the electronic manual.

Usually Haynes manuals are good but for the rodeo they tried to fit everything in one book and it didnt work so well. Chiltons manuals are good for wiping your hands on, thats about it.
--Dave
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Cool !

Postby Jetinsp2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am

I got the Tech Data , and it will be the ticket , given a little tinker time ! It's all there though , and the troubleshoot guide is complete ! I will try for low hanging fruit first and rule out the relay in the cabin fuse holder and the hinge wiring harness as they both could cause a blackout , and are real easy to check. After that , I'll do the whole troubleshoot tree , and have rear wipers again after that for sure ! Many thanks for the reference material Gizmo ! I can throw a few bucks in your Paypal if that would help you ? I'll update when I get some time to sort through this issue. Thanks Again , Jetinsp2
Jetinsp2
Drives on Pavement

Postby Jetinsp2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:39 am

[quote="Gizmo42"]PM sent with link to the electronic manual.

Usually Haynes manuals are good but for the rodeo they tried to fit everything in one book and it didnt work so well. Chiltons manuals are good for wiping your hands on, thats about it. I agree regarding the Chiltons ! Fortunately there was one open at Advance Auto , so I got a preview ( probably why they wrap them , as it sucked wind ) and I was wondering how they could fit all that data into one Haynes Manual , so I guess I now know ? They did'nt ! Thanks for your wisdom here !
Jetinsp2
Drives on Pavement

Postby Jetinsp2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Well, I did some troubleshoot yesterday , and believe it or not , the Fuse was out , and reinstalling it made everything work perfect ? I am not so nieve to think there is no issue , but so far , so good ! I am pretty sure I saw that rear wiper work one really cold morning , without the fuse in , it turns out , so that is wierd ? I will run the thing and keep an eye on it , and check in when I get more info . Thanks again for your help on this Forum ! Regards, JetInsp2 .
Jetinsp2
Drives on Pavement

Stupid relay

Postby krmccabe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I have an '01 Passport LX and I am having the rear wiper issue, Again! I replaced all three of the larger Fujitsu FTR relays in Jan. 2010 and somehow my rear wiper is already not working (Jan 2011). I agree that it could be caused by the wiper getting over amped when stuck between the rear door and the rear glass.

So, I would just replace them again but Mouser lists PN's FTR-01CN012N and FTR-01CN012W "obsolete". I emailed them and they don't plan to make/order more in the near future. I found a company (derf.com) that has 40+ in stock but they have a min. order of $100. He listed the unit price at $4.69 so I would have to buy 22.

Does anyone have any available for purchase (thru paypal), or would anyone be interested in buying some from me if I buy 22? I wouldnt mind keping a few but I don't need 22...

-KM
krmccabe
Drives on Pavement

Re: Stupid relay

Postby Gizmo42 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:47 pm

krmccabe wrote:So, I would just replace them again but Mouser lists PN's FTR-01CN012N and FTR-01CN012W "obsolete". I emailed them and they don't plan to make/order more in the near future. I found a company (derf.com) that has 40+ in stock but they have a min. order of $100. He listed the unit price at $4.69 so I would have to buy 22

I went with the NEC 31000 relays from mouser when I redid my rear ones last year (started sticking on). They fit perfectly and so far are working just fine. They are rated 10 amps higher then the factory ones and mouser always has them in stock. They are slightly louder but not a problem, especially for just the rear wiper. Mouser part # 551-EQ1-31000S
--Dave
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Postby krmccabe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for the tip, I think I will go that route too.

-KM
krmccabe
Drives on Pavement

rear wiper 2000 rodeo

Postby esgarbanzo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello,
First, thanks for such an informative and thorough thread. My mom has a 2000 rodeo lse that just started having rear wiper problems (today). The wiper does move, but mostly it just twitches and shakes. If I manually extend it to the 2 o'clock position it will slowly return to about 10 o'clock where it seems to like to be stuck. It can be forced back to 9 o'clock in order to open the rear glass.

We were about to order a new wiper motor when I found this thread. I'm maybe slightly better than beginner at mechanical repairs and a total novice at electrical stuff. Based on all the experiences of folks on this thread, it seems like the relay could be the problem, but I'm not sure...

Rear washer works if that helps. I found the "alarm" box behind the glove box... it is white in this Rodeo. Anyone have input? Is replacing the 3 relays the place to start? I found part 551-EQ1-31000S at Mouser.com. I will need to purchase soldering supplies (from Radio Shack, unless someone knows a better place...)

thanks!

:)
1990 Trooper LS - 3.4 HT V6, 4.3L TBI, bored intake, superwinch manual hubs, manual transmission, cup holders where the ashtrays once were
esgarbanzo
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 1 time

different modules !

Postby papuas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 pm

[u]Very important note[/u]: note that electronic modules in question could be very different, even though they all have simillar features![u]

Go to Isuzu parts and check out YOUR module(s) number. They are different for the vehicles manufactured in the same year.

May be it is obvious to some, but I did not realise that and ordered a Control Unit posted on this forum as "The part was number is 8-97240-466-0 its made by Denso for Isuzu." Well, the box has the same size and shape exactly as mine, but the connector is different. Can not be hooked up.

So I had to order another one , from a different vendor - this time the exact match to the number which appears on my Control Unit: 8-97201-341-0. And it fits without a problem.

Now I understand why I was able to fix my "alarm control unit" some time ago by replacing one of the relays - "Part number 817-FTR-P1CN012N." It worked for a while, but then unforunately it broke again. I was unable to find this part anymore, so I ordered relay "The part # is 551-EQ1-31000S " posted by ejkz.

This time it did not work. It could be the fact that I did a lot of welding on the unit and finally fried it, but most likely - because it is a [u]different[/u] relay!

So, beware. If the photos of the units for Amigo posted on this forum look slightly different - that is because the are in fact [u]not [/u]exactly the same!

Compare your to the photos posted by different people and make sure it matches, before you place an order for either relay or the entire unit.

By the way, anyone knows if realys 817-FTR-P1CN012N can be found anywhere?[/u]
papuas
Drives on Pavement

Postby Gizmo42 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Unfortunatly, no. Unless you can find someone that has some old stock. Fujitsu stopped making them. You have to go with a different brand that matches the same specs. The EQ-1-31000S is the same its just not a "silent" relay.
--Dave
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Postby Med!c » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:40 am

when I tried gizmo's trick I actually ended up screwing it up. I dunno. I thought this was a lot harder that I thought it would be. I would recommend this to someone who has some soldering experience. At the time I thought I could handle it, but clearly that was not the case. I could probably do it now, but honestly going to the junk yard and finding another relax box was so much easier.
00' Trooper 4x4- V6 3.5L
5-Speed Manual Aisin AR-5
Isuzu 12-Bolt Modified LSD
Isuzu 10-Bolt Aussie Locked
BGF AT T/A KO 285/75/16
Miss my old rodeo.

98-02 Isuzu Workshop Manual: Link
Med!c
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 86 times

Re:

Postby 98HPasSport » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:58 pm

[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/drwasilko/Isuzu/wiper_controller.jpg[/img]

my friend is having a front wiper park/intermittent problem with his 2000 rodeo and we've been trying to fix the problem. he has the same board as the one pictured above. can someone reply and tell me what each of the relays are for? particularly which one is for the front wiper....RY-6? my 98 passport has a different board than his 2000 rodeo... and from the pictures of the boards i've seen on this site....looks like there are 3 or 4 different ones throughout the year ranges. so need a lil help here on the layout of this particular board...thanks!
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Re: Wiper relay replacement

Postby announcingangel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:54 pm

hello
i have a 94 trooper. the intermittent wiper setting does not work on the front. will the fix on this thread work for my rig? is the board that holds the relay on the drivers side in this trooper?

cheers
94 isuzu trooper
announcingangel
Drives on Pavement

Postby Gizmo42 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:32 am

Dont think I've read of anyone having the issue with a trooper. I dont know if they use the same system for the relays as a rodeo. Hopefully someone that knows troopers better will post up.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Postby announcingangel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:12 pm

well i poked around in the truck a bit more and found a relay for the wipers in the fuse box in the engine compartment. i guess i should say i found a vacant spot for one. i think maybe someone pulled it to get it replaced and found out that it isn't available anymore. on ebay i found a whole fuse panel that has one in it which i bought and should be getting in the mail soon. I guess if it doesn't solve the problem I'll be back to comb through the planet isuzu archives some more. I want to sell it so im not keen on buying a service manual at this point.
94 isuzu trooper
announcingangel
Drives on Pavement

Postby ravi261 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:01 am

I was just wondering. I saw another post with the same problem as I have but didn't see a solution. My rear wiper will come on, but it will just start to studder and shake in place when it reaches the "rest" position on the glass. If you give it a little nudge, it'll work normally. Occasionally (I haven't been able to find a pattern) it will do the shaking in the "rest" position on the glass after resting. Is this definitely the relay? My front wipers work flawlessly but this problem just started recently. Every other aspect of the wiper works fine, except the shaking part. It will even go back to park normally when you turn off the wipers.

Thanks for any help.
ravi261
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 67 times

Postby Gizmo42 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Thats a weird one, havent seen that before. Not sure what would be causing it either, sorry.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Postby ravi261 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:27 am

I conferred with esgarbanzo (he noted very similar problem a few posts back). He said replacing the motor fixed it to the point at which it just stays on continually, at which point it's just fixin' relays. Just posting in case someone else gets an epileptic rear wiper in the future haha.
ravi261
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 67 times

Postby Gizmo42 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 am

If it runs continuously its usually a broken wire in the tailgate or bad connection. Mine turned out to be a bad connection in the plug for the motor. I cut the plug off and just used insulated spade connectors. Others have found a broken wire near the hinges. Bad relays usually cause it to stop working mid wipe or not work at all.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Fame