Wiper relay replacement

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Re: Wiper relay replacement

Postby 2001blackrodeols » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 am

I have a 2001 rodeo and the front intermediate wipers won't work but fast will, also that back won't work at all. Will this fix and can someone explain with more details and a update on parts?
2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 3.2v6 4x4
2001blackrodeols
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby Gizmo42 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 pm

The relays are most likely the problem. I havent had to deal with it in quite a while so I havent kept up on which relays are available and will work.
--Dave
onetouch wrote:You're doomed Giz.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Have thanks: 132 times

Postby tajasrider » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:28 am

Found this on Ebay

Last edited by tajasrider on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tajasrider
Drives on Pavement

Postby Danny1976 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Dingbat wrote:Going back to the first few posts here, it looks like the "inner" relay which is wrapped in rubber is still available, not sure which of the two listed would be what you want. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... FBR51ND12W

I bought FBR51ND12W a while back, and finally decided to remove the relay and the put the replacement. After I removed the relay the new one was too small to fit. Does any one know if there is another replacement that matches the P1CN012N?
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby Danny1976 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:38 am

The Alibaba website have sellers who offer these relays. Has anyone bought from that site and if so, how does it work?
Danny1976
Drives on Pavement

Postby tednelson » Fri May 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Danny1976 wrote:
Dingbat wrote:Going back to the first few posts here, it looks like the "inner" relay which is wrapped in rubber is still available, not sure which of the two listed would be what you want. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.asp ... FBR51ND12W

I bought FBR51ND12W a while back, and finally decided to remove the relay and the put the replacement. After I removed the relay the new one was too small to fit. Does any one know if there is another replacement that matches the P1CN012N?

I, too, bought the FBR51ND12W relay from Mouser. I knew it was smaller but thought I could 'redneck' some fix with it. Once I got the original relay off the board I decided to cut it open to see if I could re-use its base for soldering the new relay to the board. Using a sharp pocket knife I cut the side of the cover all the way around just a millimeter or 2 above the base - the cover then slides right off. Inside I found the smaller relay (a 51ND12-N with a rubber sleeve on it) attached sideways to a simple mylar film circuit trace that then attaches to the pins on the original base. I de-soldered the small relay from the mylar, transferred the rubber sleeve to the new small relay, then reattached the new relay onto the mylar. Slide the cover back over the new relay/base assembly and re-attach - I used electrical tape so I could open it again easily if it failed. Solder the 'rebuilt' relay onto the board and reinstalled in the Rodeo. Works like a champ and is quiet like the original.

Sorry to not take pictures, but when you remove the cover of the original relay it becomes very obvious what has to be done.

Caution: The mylar film circuit trace itself is soldered to rigid copper strips that attach to the pins of the base. Two of the pins of the small relay are soldered to the mylar very close to the copper strip attachment points. When de-soldering the small relay be very careful to not detach the mylar from the copper. When trying to fix that mistake I found that the copper strips were very brittle. One broke off and required me to solder in a short piece of wire from the copper stub to the relay pin. It was not fun.)

For this post the author tednelson was thanked by:
NorthernFirepower
tednelson
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby gas4blood » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Wow! Nearly 10 years since Gizmo originally posted this and it's still saving lives!! Haha. I've owned my '01 Rodeo for almost a year and have had this problem since day one. I assumed a faulty wiper switch in the front and a bad rear wiper motor were the culprits. Swapped out my relays and wouldn't you know the front and rears both work like a champ now! :D

For this post the author gas4blood was thanked by:
Gizmo42
gas4blood
Drives on Pavement

Postby andrewkrause » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:14 pm

For folks who can't find the original relay P/N, you can use American Zetter relay P/N AZ943-1CH-12D or AZ943-1CH-12DE. The DE is more expensive because it is sealed in epoxy, which is completely unnecessary for this application. The pin outs are the same, and the package size is the same. The electrical characteristics are slightly different, but not enough to cause any problems. More importantly, you can core them for between $1.50 ($50 miniumum order, so be prepared to order other things), or $5 on Amazon.

This is part of my punchlist, and I'm so glad I found this solution. Now I just have to replace half the AC system, rebuild the rear end and replace the front tires, and this truck is good as new!

Edit: by different, I mean to say that the coil impedance is lower. It's still a 12v 30a SPST relay.
Edit 2: The package size is a tinybit smaller as well. But the pins lined up perfectly. They're small enough that you can drive some solder through the thru-holes as you solder, ensuring full weld on the other side. I swapped these out tonight and everything works perfectly. Now I just need to rebuild the differential, replace the transmission gasket and filter and replace the AC compressor/high side, and my wife will let me have my car back.

andrewkrause was thanked by:
Gizmo42NorthernFirepower
andrewkrause
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Tylerandtony » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I can't find that part anywhere.

My wash/wipe mode on the arm on the steering wheel does not work, but all other functions for the wipers work fine.

I realize that this thread goes back more then 5yrs ago, but I really need to find this part.

Anyone?
Tylerandtony
Drives on Gravel

Postby Tylerandtony » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 pm

My board doesn't look like any of yours.

2001 Rodeo LS 4wd 6 cylinder. I need the alarm module for the wiper (wash and wipe) function
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tylerandtony
Drives on Gravel

Postby andrewkrause » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:33 pm

This is identical to the board in my wife's 2001 Rodeo LS 2WD V6. I replaced all three relays. The symptoms I was having is that the windsheild wipers would not park when turned off (they stopped in place), and the front intermittent wiper function did not work. The rear wiper didn't work at all. The front and rear pumps worked fine. Swap out all three relays, and you should be back in business.
andrewkrause
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Tylerandtony » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Where do I get these relay's? What is the correct part number? The ones we are talking about is the black boxes, correct?
[URL=http://s864.photobucket.com/user/heidiswizkids/media/IMG_3718_zpsmewn65lo.jpg.html]
Tylerandtony
Drives on Gravel

Postby Uberchin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:59 pm

If anyone is interested in doing this fix, I purchased 20 of these (smallest amount I could order) and I only need 6 so if someone needs one just PM me.

They are the AMERICAN ZETTLER AZ943-1CH-12DE
Uberchin
Drives on Pavement

Postby MMMotorsport » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:13 pm

I know this is an old thread...and this may seem an odd question: where is the board located? Thx
MMMotorsport
Drives on Pavement

Postby Uberchin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:37 am

Behind the glove box above the kickplate
Uberchin
Drives on Pavement

Postby [email protected] » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:54 am

Okay, it's been a while since someone posted here but I *just* executed this successfully for my 2002 Isuzu Axiom that was having the same problem. I ordered the relay from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE ... UTF8&psc=1

Then did the replacement. For people attempting this, you need to know where the board is. I had a hard time finding it. Take out the glove box (2 screws at the bottom) and look inside and up to the right. For the Axiom, the board is enclosed in a black plastic box and it's hanging by a clip, vertically, while being secured by one screw. I had to remove the other board in front of it first to get to it (2 screws). Unplug the 2 wiring plugs going into it, once you remove the screw and slide the box up to free the clip, and wiggle it out of there.

I was very happy when I put everything back in and it worked. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

Good luck!
[email protected]
Drives on Pavement

Postby KN4DS » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Just a note to say that I bought a second Rodeo, and it had this wiper problem - no intermittent, stopping where they were when you turned them off, etc. Rear wiper was working ok.

I replaced the three relays as discussed in this thread and that has fixed the intermittent not working, and they go back to their normal position when I turn them off now.

Cost me $16 or so for the 3 relays on Amazon. I got the American Zetter relay P/N AZ943-1CH-12DE that andrewkrause mentioned in 2015.
KN4DS
Drives on Pavement

Previous

Return to Hall of Fame