Mounting a full length rack

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Re: Mounting a full length rack

Postby smote » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

BigSwede wrote:Great job on that rack BTW, especially noticing the curve in the roof before you got too far along.

For those interested here is another homemade roof rack: http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/tr ... frack.html
He didn't install a basket, but the fab of the mounts is the key interest.

Thanks for that link. I love seeing how others have done what I'm planning to do and comparing it against my thought process. Plus i need all the help I can get.
'97 Trooper, the family 'Zu
'93 Legacy turbo, the family wag'
smote
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 7 times

Sponsor

Postby mas94isuzutrooper » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Are the holes 1 9/16 apart from center?
mas94isuzutrooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby redneck1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:51 pm

This is a most excellent thread. Thanks for thinking for me! I needed a roof rack for canoe hauling and various other possible uses but didn't want to drop a bunch of cash on some "name brand" rack. So, I commenced operation trooper rack. Couple of problems surfaced almost immediately. I busted more of those fragile moulding clips than I care to admit and the fixed hard plastic trim at the rear of the rain gutter moulding was so brittle I busted the edges of both pieces. Is there a source for replacement moulding clips (besides the salvage yard) you might direct me to? And I can only assume the fixed plastic ending trim is glued/epoxied to the roof? I can't see how to remove them. No matter! The operation will continue and thanks so much for the ideas!

redneck1
1995 Trooper SOHC, 163,000 miles, custom roof rack, CB.
redneck1
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Carob » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:19 pm

That's a great looking rack system you made up. I've just purchased a Trooper myself and am looking for a rack system. Is there any chance you have the measurements and the angles written down on the brackets you fabbed up?
Carob
Drives on Pavement

Postby Howington2005533 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Double moo, could I talk you into (name your price) either getting your machinist, Russ, to fabricate me a set of 6 mounts just like yours (or at least the front 2, since they are the odd ones), or could you provide a detailed set of instructions (measurements, angles, et al) so I can have them made here in Colo. Spgs.?
I am a new Trooper owner (2000 Limited), and have run into the same roof rack issue...after I bought the Surco Inc. mounts and attempted to install them and mount my ARB rack to them. Good on you for seeing that problem ahead of time! I am out of ideas and yours is the best one I have seen.
My trooper is almost complete...except for the rack. I currently have a Yakima rack on the factory mounts on the rear of the truck, but would like a full-length rack that can carry more than just skis. I have installed a 3" lift, bull bars, running boards, and multiple lights and other accessories (additional fuse panel, power, compressor, et al), but the rack is stumping me.
Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to contact me directly, call me at 719-200-5533 or email me at [email protected].
Thanks for your ingenuity - mike
Howington2005533
Drives on Pavement

Postby mtman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Have you had any issues with this mounting setup? How much have you loaded it up? Thanks.
1995 Isuzu Trooper S PEP
Motor: 3.2 DOHC Conversion, Multec 2 Injectors, A/C Fan, Drilled Out Exhaust Limiters, NGK Ignition Wires
Electrical: Group 27 Battery, 2 Gauge Battery Cable Conversion with Military Style Clamps, Load Boss 165A Alternator
Trans/tfer: AR5 Swap viewtopic.php?f=22&t=72724 3.07:1 Transfer Case gears. 6X20 Speedometer Gear. CR: 65.31:1
Diffs: 5.38s, Solid Pinion Spacers, viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66722, Powerbrute LSD F/R, viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66739
Driveline: Aisin Hubs, GMB HD U-joints greasable front and rear, Drivetrain Plus balanced and trued driveshaft
Suspension: OME Medium 912 Coils, OME Heavy Shocks, John's 1.5" Custom Diff Drop, DC Built Low Profile Front Crossmember, Ball Joint Flip, Indy 4X HD Tie Rods
Tires: LT285/75/R16E Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on stock Isuzu Alloys
Recovery: ARB Bullbar, Warn M8000, Off-road lights
Accessories: Counteract Electrostatic Rust Prevention, Yakima Wingmaster Crossbars with Loadwarrior basket, Stainless Steel Hitch, Little Passenger 3rd Row, OEM compass, Overhead DVD, and heated seats

[b]Looking for used/cheap:
ARB Roof Rack and/or Mounts
mtman
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby BigdaddySD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:02 pm

I'd also like to know how this setup is holding up. I want to load a RTT on my roof, but am unsure if I should just go the Thule route...
BigdaddySD
Drives on Pavement

Postby mtman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 pm

I've thought about this a lot, but having 6mm bolts holding this much weight??? I don't know. I just bought one of these steel racks for my cruiser and it is HEAVY.
1995 Isuzu Trooper S PEP
Motor: 3.2 DOHC Conversion, Multec 2 Injectors, A/C Fan, Drilled Out Exhaust Limiters, NGK Ignition Wires
Electrical: Group 27 Battery, 2 Gauge Battery Cable Conversion with Military Style Clamps, Load Boss 165A Alternator
Trans/tfer: AR5 Swap viewtopic.php?f=22&t=72724 3.07:1 Transfer Case gears. 6X20 Speedometer Gear. CR: 65.31:1
Diffs: 5.38s, Solid Pinion Spacers, viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66722, Powerbrute LSD F/R, viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66739
Driveline: Aisin Hubs, GMB HD U-joints greasable front and rear, Drivetrain Plus balanced and trued driveshaft
Suspension: OME Medium 912 Coils, OME Heavy Shocks, John's 1.5" Custom Diff Drop, DC Built Low Profile Front Crossmember, Ball Joint Flip, Indy 4X HD Tie Rods
Tires: LT285/75/R16E Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on stock Isuzu Alloys
Recovery: ARB Bullbar, Warn M8000, Off-road lights
Accessories: Counteract Electrostatic Rust Prevention, Yakima Wingmaster Crossbars with Loadwarrior basket, Stainless Steel Hitch, Little Passenger 3rd Row, OEM compass, Overhead DVD, and heated seats

[b]Looking for used/cheap:
ARB Roof Rack and/or Mounts
mtman
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby harrisong » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:29 am

Yea i have considered that but was trying to avoid bolting directly on the roof, although the mounts i would order are good quality and heavy duty. Also was trying to avoid paying for installing as that way would require temoving headliner etc etc and i wanted to avoid that haha. Also, the bolt holes are about 47" apart which seems kind of far as if there is weight in the center it may affect it a lot?
harrisong
Drives on Pavement

Postby BigSwede » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:37 am

The bolts don't have a ton of stress on them, the roof holds the weight and the bolts just keep the rack from flying away.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 251 times

Postby harrisong » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:16 pm

thats true, if i get a rack that is 3.5 feet wide or 4 feet wide (42,48inches) do you think that is too far apart? I wonder what sort of load it could carry. now I just need the angle of the gutter and I can begin making them!
harrisong
Drives on Pavement

Postby alabamaoverland » Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Double moo Thanks for the great information! I will be making some mounts for mine soon. Any chance you ever measured all the angles? If you did, I can draw them up in CAD and share with everyone! :D
2000 Green Isuzu Trooper 4x4
alabamaoverland
Drives on Pavement

Previous

Return to Hall of Fame