Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Infinity Reference 6022i Install (91 Troop) 56k warning!

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ZuCruTrooper2 
#1 ·
I picked up a nice set of Infinity References today and got the 6 1/2" version. Rather than do it the easy way, I'm putting them in the front. I previously mounted Kenwood KFC-1680ie's without any issue.

The only problem you'll run into with these speakers is the angle of the surround frame. On the Kenwoods it's a shallow angle, while the Infinity has a steep angle. I don't know if you can see it in the picture below but it is the difference between an easy install and a royal pain in the ***.

Fortunately the box contains everything we need to get this in except for a dremel and assorted bits.

The black and silver "thingies" will screw into the hole in the kick panel after some trimming. The speaker will mount to the silver bracket via the tiny phillips screws included in the pack, into the four threaded bumps on the silver bracket.

They will both need to be trimmed in order to fit on the hole and around the hood release mount. Lengthen the holes in the black bracket all the way using a drill bit on the dremel as seen here. Also notice how I removed everything sticking out of the ring.

The finished product will look like this when done.

Now get your grinding wheel out and prepare for sparks. Remove everything between the notches (around the B next to my thumb). Create a new notch about as long as the larger notch.

You should end up with this:

Get the edges cleaned up and mount it. Be sure to keep the bolts loose so you can move it around until you're absolutely sure that the speaker has enough room. Mount the speaker upside down (wire terminals facing up). Make sure the wire tie-down on the cabin side of the hole is completely out of the way--the speaker WILL hit it and cause you grief.

Hopefully it will look like this when you're done:

I apologize for the lack of picture clarity. My camera seriously needs to be replaced. In this install there is no dynamat or anything between the speaker brackets and the metal, normally I would put some there but I didn't quite have enough $$$ at the time and the speaker box didn't include the sticky tape seal. (Will take donations though :wink: :twisted: )

If you have any comments let me know. Enjoy the greatly improved quality with the 6.5" speaker vs. the stock 4".

See less See more
#2 ·
JBH1989 said:
I picked up a nice set of Infinity References today and got the 6 1/2" version. Rather than do it the easy way, I'm putting them in the front.
Nice. Easy shmeazy!
Better to test the boundaries.

Now, do you have any photos of the enlargement that you made of the preexisting orignal speaker openings?? A photo without the new speaker in the way. And, maybe, alongside a photo of the original opening size.

Thanks for sharing. 8)

#3 ·
RubyTrooper said:
JBH1989 said:
I picked up a nice set of Infinity References today and got the 6 1/2" version. Rather than do it the easy way, I'm putting them in the front.
Nice. Easy shmeazy!
Better to test the boundaries.

Now, do you have any photos of the enlargement that you made of the preexisting orignal speaker openings?? A photo without the new speaker in the way. And, maybe, alongside a photo of the original opening size.

Thanks for sharing. 8)
No problem. I didn't enlarge any opening. The only trick is to push the woofer outward by combining the two brackets. The magnet fit just fine inside the preexisting hole, where my Kenwoods fit without modification. Even the existing screw holes can be reused.

The inside holes are due to the previous install tech being a complete and utter f**ktard, ignore them.

#4 ·
looks good, i install about 5-10 pairs of those speakers a week. cant beat them for the price. i will never understand why isuzu put a 4 inch speaker on a 6 inch grill in a 6 inch hole. any way this makes a huge diference on the sound in yur trooper!...........kevin

#6 ·
Go big or don't go at all.

I tried to go cheap and picked up the Kenwood speakers and the cheapest Alpine and regretted it after 30.5 days, half a day after the return policy at Best Buy expired. Get 2 pairs of references and a 75W RMSx4 @ 4ohm amp and you'll be good to go. I have a 50Wx4 and it's not even pushing these things as far as they could go. I'm having some issues with my shop that put them in (Lombards Auto Sound in Santa Maria, CA, avoid like the plague!), they promised me a 2 year OTC when I bought the amp (12/6/06) and they're out of stock now--so either I pay $70 for Coustic to fix it or $150 for the upgrade to the next amp which they do have in stock. They won't give me full credit for the amp even though I'm supposedly covered by their own warranty... makes me hate little p.o.s. stereo stores. Did get the infinity's from Atlas Custom Sound in Santa Maria, CA, who I highly recommend for any sound stuff. The guy knows what he's talking about and is extremely fair.

I have a P225.2 2-channel I'll use to drive the fronts when my friend gives me his system from his Honda, then I'll use his older Kenwood uber-high-end 2chan for the rears, and then his P600-1bd for one of the P3s (gains turned WAAAAY down...lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.