Isuzu SUV Forum banner

clutch slave cyl

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  History Rogue 
#1 ·
perssure prob when on incline anyone ever had this prob

#4 ·
The master could be leaking internally, ie. the seals are bad and the master needs replaced or rebuilt.

Or the slave could be bad, leaky.

Or it could just be air in the system.

If it's a 2.6 and you recently had the system down for slave replacement or had the system open for any reason, it's air in the system.

The 2.6 master/slave is notorious for being a bear to bleed.

Joe

#6 ·
I just bled a clutch for an 89 P/U. It's 4wd, 2.6 w/ 5 sp. The clutch had air in the system which made driving interesting to say the least.

Tools:

8 mm wrench

12 - 18 in windshield washer tubing

Newspaper, paper towels, jar, flashlight

Dot3 brake fluid

With the clutch all the way to the floor, I think I had about a half an inch to an inch before the clutch grabbed. I stalled the truck a couple of times before I finally got the hang of it. I'm mentioning this in case someone has the same symptoms and didn't know what it is.

Anyway, I crawled under the truck and found the slave cylinder on the passenger side, just above and in front of the front u-joint. It was all coated with oil of course and I thought I found the bleeder valve. It had the nipple there but there was no nut to open the valve. I couldn't figure out what was going on but I noticed there was another extension behind it that had a rubber cap on it. Turns out that that is the bleeder valve. I cleaned it off and put a piece of tubing on it with the end in a glass peanut butter jar. Blue Meanie is going to go blind if he reads this. :p

Crawled back out and checked the level in the clutch reservoir and topped it up. Alldata recommends pumping the pedal several times and then holding it to the floor. I didn't have a helper so I cut a piece of slatwood (stuff we use to nail plastic to windows) It's sold in bundles at Lowes etc but you can use whatever. You could even use a reversible spreader clamp to hold the clutch pedal to the floor.

Now with the clutch to the floor and the reservoir topped up, crawl back under and loosen the nut gently as you can so you don't get the fluid all over the place. I was able to reach right through the suspension with the wrench. Other than laying on my back on frozen ground, it wasn't that bad. I had a whole bunch of air before I saw fluid running down the tube.

Got back in the truck, removed the stick and the pedal stayed on the floor. Pulled it up by hand and pumped it a couple of times and the pressure came right back to it. So I put the stick back to hold it to the floor and got back under the truckand loosened the bleeder again. This time only fluid came out with no bubbles or anything so I tightened the bleeder. The fluid in the tubing went about 4-5 inches with no bubbles so I felt comfortable that there was no more air in the system. NOTE: Keep the end of the tubing in the jar when you remove it from the bleeder because the fluid will pour out when you disconnect it. Cleaned everything up, made sure the reservoir was topped off and got back in the cab. Pumped the clutch a couple of times, started the truck and finally the truck shifts normally.

I bought the truck for a project in the Spring. It's got frame rot and wouldn't pass inspection in MA so the guy sold it. Of course now that I've got it shifting right, I had to put it in a barn for the next month or so. But damn, I liked the 4wd. :twisted: Probably a good thing though because the frame is pretty bad. Don't want to get stuck out in a field with a truck in half :p

#7 ·
when i changed the slave cylinder on my 95 pup i thought i would never get all the air out.air in hydraulic clutch system will hamper clutch operation big time sometime 8) recon

#8 ·
I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder in my 88 Trooper. I wise man told me to change the clutch master cylinder at the same time because they wear at about the same rate. I ignored the advice, and four weeks later my clutch master cylinder failed while I was on a long trip. If you're replacing one, I'd do both. IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.