Fuel pump access from floor??

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Fuel pump access from floor??

Postby traskrover » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Hello, iam looking at a fuel pump replacement for my 1990 2.6 trooper. My question is though is it easier to go thru the floor in the rear cargo area via cutting a access hole and then fabbing a cover plate than pulling the tank from below?. I know on some of my other rigs they had a access plate you could take off and access the top of the fuel tank and hence the fuel pump.

Has anybody done this and if so does anybody have any kind of template for where to cut a access hole under the carpet in the rear cargo area?
traskrover
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby 94redrodeo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 pm

just pull the tank its not that bad
95.5 Rodeo SAS Dana 44 F&R, pro comp mx6 shocks, Custom Winch bumper, 35" Bfg All terrains, 1" body lift, Calmini high flow intake
Mile marker PE8000 winch, Inex air Co2 tank
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD duramax allison edge ez, 6" lift 35's
94redrodeo
Mi Amigo

Postby Airtight Troop » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:57 pm

94redrodeo wrote:just pull the tank its not that bad

The hell if it ain't. I wish I had cut an access door. I've dropped the tank on all 3 of my troopers, and it sucks. Maybe with help it's not so bad, but I'd rather cut a hole next time.
Airtight Troop
Trail Rider

Postby Littlejon » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:26 am

A few years ago, a guy on another Isuzu board sent me pics and instructions to cut a "trap door" in the cargo area for fuel pump replacement. H did it on his Trooper and said it worked well for him. I haven't done this on mine yet, but it looked pretty simple.

If I can find the pics and instructions tonight, I will put them up on here for you guys.
Littlejon
Trail Master

pump

Postby biloyp » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 am

Won't you have to drop the tank anyway to cut an access hole for the door. Fuel pumps should last a good while. So while you drop the tank to cut the hole just replace the fuel pump then.

I had a Honda where you could clean out the trunk, fold the rear seats down and open an acces hole to remove the fule pump and U wondered why more cars aren't made like that.
1988 Trooper
2.6 L 5 Speed M/T, stock (I need new tires)
Picayune, MS
biloyp
Has a Trail Truck

Re: pump

Postby RL » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:55 am

biloyp wrote:....I had a Honda where you could clean out the trunk, fold the rear seats down and open an acces hole to remove the fule pump and U wondered why more cars aren't made like that.

IIRC my daughters Corolla is the same way but under the back seat. Definitely easier than dropping the tank.
US Army Retired
'01 Trooper Limited 4x4
RL
Drives in Mud

Postby dvtrooper » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:31 pm

The cut out is the only way to go, and no you don't have to drop the tank i have done this on every isuzu i've owned, 88 t2 , 93 trooper, and a amigo, the amigo was the hardest.

once you figure out were to cut i put a wet towel over the tank and cut it out and used the piece i cut out for the trap door. good luck Don
88 trooper sas dana44 5.38 gears 35in Tires 4.3tbi turbo 350 Dana 300
dvtrooper
Rodeo King

Re: Fuel pump access from floor??

Postby Fujisawa Rob » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:56 pm

traskrover wrote:Hello, iam looking at a fuel pump replacement for my 1990 2.6 trooper. My question is though is it easier to go thru the floor in the rear cargo area via cutting a access hole and then fabbing a cover plate than pulling the tank from below?. I know on some of my other rigs they had a access plate you could take off and access the top of the fuel tank and hence the fuel pump.

Has anybody done this and if so does anybody have any kind of template for where to cut a access hole under the carpet in the rear cargo area?

You could look for a junkyard truck to cut a piece of the floor out of, then make a hole in yours slightly smaller, and screw the panel over the hole.
Fujisawa Rob
Zu Royalty

Postby EagleCap » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:44 am

I cut out a section. Works great. I did alot of measureing before cutting. But if the tank is already out, it would be real easly. I went to a junkyard for extra floor panel so that there was an overlap. A bit of sealer and a couple of screws. I did this after dropping the tank twice tracking problems. Good luck.
EagleCap
Mi Amigo

Postby Littlejon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:27 pm

OK, here are the pictures the guy sent me. I hope you can make it all out.

Littlejon
Trail Master

Postby traskrover » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:45 pm

sweet im doing this today!! thanks man
traskrover
Drives in Mud

Postby Littlejon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:49 pm

Those measurements are from an '89 Trooper. I don't know if there is a big difference between an '89 and a '90, but make sure you check everything ebfore cutting. I would hate for you to cut a hole and have to "extend" it.

Also, I like the idea someone had above of going to a junk yard and cutting out a piece from a dead Trooper. That would make a lot of sense, plus you could verify the measurements before cutting yours.
Littlejon
Trail Master

Postby Fujisawa Rob » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Littlejon wrote:Also, I like the idea someone had above of going to a junk yard and cutting out a piece from a dead Trooper. That would make a lot of sense, plus you could verify the measurements before cutting yours.

Yeah, then you can just use some sheetmetal screws and weatherstrip and have an easily removable panel. Not that fuel pumps die that often, but if you've got to replace it anyway...
Fujisawa Rob
Zu Royalty

Postby traskrover » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:08 pm

So i decided to cut the hole for fuel pump access. It worked awesome, it took a total of about 1/2 hour to cut the hole and extract the fuel pump. a few notes, dont cut too deep into the floor, the edges are very sharp and i have the cut to prove it, and the top of the fuel tank collects alot of dirt. so after cutting the hole i scrubbed and hosed the tank off, then i compressed air dried all the water off. i used the dimensions as posted and they were right, alothough i went 1" bigger just to make sure i had plenty of room and it was just right.

traskrover
Drives in Mud

Postby zippo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:48 pm

Now if i may ask How are you gonna put the Cut out back in?

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4 : 351w, With a Soft Top

1996 Isuzu Rodeo 2x4: 3.2l V6 Auto

2003 Honda Shadow VLX Delux 600: Purple (yes i ride a Purple Motorcycle)

05 Hews Red Fishher 16' Flatts boat. With a 90HP yamaha
zippo
Zu Royalty

Postby traskrover » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:31 am

2 options, one idea is to get a piece of flooring off a junkyard troop thats a little bigger to overlap on top or i think i will spot weld 4 tabs on to the piece i cut off and use sheetmetal screw and caulk to fasten it down. Any other ideas??
traskrover
Drives in Mud

flap

Postby biloyp » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:50 am

My Honda had a fuel pump accessable through the trunk, like you are doing. It was held in place with some kind of sealer, kinda like RTV but thicker and stickier. The mechanic just pry'd it off and after replacing it, he just put more sealer and put it back in place. But my trunk was flat, no ripples like yours.
1988 Trooper
2.6 L 5 Speed M/T, stock (I need new tires)
Picayune, MS
biloyp
Has a Trail Truck

Postby 98rodeoman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:18 am

i wonder if this cutout method would work with the 2nd gen rodeo? I don't see why not.
1998 Rodeo 3.2 4X4 5 Speed
(indy4x lift-OME 912's+T-bar crank+poly swaybar bushings)
1999 Rodeo 3.2 2WD Auto (sold)
98rodeoman
Loyal P'up

Postby Liquid Lifestyle » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:37 pm

I am thinking about the cut-out method for fuel pump replacement in a 1996 Troop.

I noticed these measurments are for a Gen I, anyone got the measurements for 92+??

Thanks
Liquid Lifestyle
Drives in Mud

Postby bigpoppax2 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:38 am

i wonder if this cutout method would work with the 2nd gen rodeo? I don't see why not.

Well the tank is side mounted, and the pump would probably end up under the rear seat. I've dropped mine more than a few times. It's just a few bolts and a couple of fuel lines. It really is easy.

You can use a piece of plywood and a floor jack.

Joe
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

98 RodeoPort 34" LTB's, Supercharged and some other cool stuff.
bigpoppax2
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby jaydub » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:13 am

Well the tank is side mounted, and the pump would probably end up under the rear seat. I've dropped mine more than a few times. It's just a few bolts and a couple of fuel lines. It really is easy.

I think you are referring to your Rodeo, right? I have a 2nd gen Trooper, '93, and you should be able to cut out the floor to get to the top of the tank. I may be doing this soon as I have an intermittent wiring problem coming out of the pump (blows fuses).

I don't have the measurements for the cut out but does somebody out that have em?
89 Trooper 2.8L V6 5 speed 125K
91 Trooper 2.6L 5 speed 180K
93 Trooper LS 3.2L 5 speed 220K
98 Trooper S 3.5L Auto (dead engine, searching for used one) 130K
I brew, therefore, I am
Trooper Addict
jaydub
Drives on Gravel

Postby lowzone » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:04 am

it will work on any Isuzu, cutting an access hole. but i think i cut too much :)
if i build it, it will scrape..........or catch on fire
I'm not a mechanic, but i played one in my garage......
lowzone
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby anivek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:51 am

thanks for the great advice, i had to replace my fuel pump last weekend. the access panel worked great, an hour job including cutting..... Image
the pic of the resealed floor is missing
...kevin...
'90 Trooper 2.6l 5 speed
anivek
Zu Royalty

Postby Dae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:25 am

so this wont work in a 01' rodeo?
"My Isuzu has crossed the Pacific Ocean!... twice!!"

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS :: 3.2L V6 Auto 4L30E >> clicky for pics <<
Kenwood KDC-X493 deck and speakers all around :: 10" Infinity sub, ported 300 watts RMS bridged
OME 913's :: Monroe Sensatracs + 2" Lift :: Firestone Destination All-Terrain LT245/75R16 + 1" extra
Indy4x brake lines :: Poly swaybar bushings :: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV :: Detroit Truetrac helical LSD
Dae
Donor

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Blackjack » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:16 pm

traskrover wrote:2 options, one idea is to get a piece of flooring off a junkyard troop thats a little bigger to overlap on top or i think i will spot weld 4 tabs on to the piece i cut off and use sheetmetal screw and caulk to fasten it down. Any other ideas??

Try a short section of a piano hinge and possibly a cam lock or latch on the opposing side. The tabs on the side with the cam lock also might be a good ideal. And you could also use rivets to attach the hinge to the plate you cut out.
or
Some garden supply houses sell a small stainless door w/a flat flange fame and cam lock.
or
The flat doors and frames that are used on electrical panels.

Great idea this door thing, I too have dropped the tank to replace a pump, in addition to dropping the tank you also have to remove the skid plate and drain the tank.

Blackjack 8)
Blackjack; Black Jackaroo. 96 Trooper LS
3.2 V6 SOHC, LSD , 15" Steel Rock Crawlers, 32X11.5 (292/74R15) BFG All Terrain T/A's, OME 929 springs with 2" poly spacers, OME shocks, BJ flip w/spacer, front grill off my previously owned 95
Blackjack
Drives in Mud

Next

Return to Hall of Fame