Fuel pump access from floor??

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Postby Red0ktober » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:34 pm

I dropped the tank on mine to swap out the fuel pump for my 3.4L SFI conversion. It wasn't that hard, just used a floor jack. But if I have to do it again for some reason, I'll do the cut-out method.

To run the 3.4L, I just grabbed a salvage yard fuel pump/pickup assembly from a 2.6L Trooper. Gives me the 45PSI needed for the 3.4L.
'86 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
'90 Isuzu Trooper LS, 3.4L 60ºV6 (3.1L MPFI intake, '7727 ECU)
'96 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
Red0ktober
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 9 times

Sponsor

Postby Liquid Lifestyle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Liquid Lifestyle wrote:I am thinking about the cut-out method for fuel pump replacement in a 1996 Troop.

I noticed these measurments are for a Gen I, anyone got the measurements for 92+??

Thanks

Well I know it is a year later, but I finally got around to replacing the fuel pump in my 1996 Troop.

I took pictures of the measurements so if anyone else wants to do it this way they know right where it is.

As you are looking into the back of the truck, roughly 19 1/2" - 24" from the left wheel well and 12" - 16" back from the rubber strip at the door seal.

hope this helps others.

1996 Trooper 3.2 Manual 4x4 ** OME Springs/Shocks - Daystar Spacers - torsion bar crank - ball joint flip - Indy4x tie-rods - 31" Firestones on 16" MB Razor rims
2001 Trooper 3.5 Anniversary Edition ** ProComp Shocks - OME Springs - Daystar Spacers - torsion bar crank - ball joint flip - 32" Maxxis Buckshot tires on 18" V-cross rims
Liquid Lifestyle
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

fuel pump aceess/dropping tank

Postby Jay » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 am

I'm with airtighttroop. Dropping a gas tank is a pain, even when empty. The access idea is great! Now why didn't I think of that? (sound of hand smacking forehead) Practicing on a junk yard trooper is a good idea also. I took a complete dash out of a junk yard trooper, just for the heck of it.......I was also un-employed and had a LOT of time on my hands.javascript:emoticon(':D')

Jay
1989 RS White, 2.6 4ZE1, 5 speed, AMC head, auto trans radiator.
My RS: http://tinyurl.com/3e5w5b8
Jay
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Thomas » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51 pm

What are you fellas using to cut through the metal? It looks like a grinder, some sort of air powered saw, and a dremel of sorts. Are you guys wetting down the tank before cutting? What about sparks?

A friend of mine has given me reason to be paranoid due to using a grinder. I'm just wondering what precautions everyone is taking.
1991 Isuzu Trooper / 2.8 v6 / 135k org miles
Thomas
Drives on Pavement

Postby Thomas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 am

Well, I did it. I didn't have a garage to work in or even an outlet to plug into, so options were limited. I bought a 750 watt inverter for my Trooper and that worked just fine. I tried using a jigsaw, but the 2" blade was coming too close to the fuel lines. I didn't want to use a grinder due to the amount of sparks. I ended up spending about 30 minutes punching through the metal with a hammer and a small screw driver.

The screws had been annihilated by rust. I tried one of those screw extractor kits with only 1 screw coming out. I used a 7/16" bit in order to remove the heads of the screws. It was a slow process, but all went well.
1991 Isuzu Trooper / 2.8 v6 / 135k org miles
Thomas
Drives on Pavement

Postby Liquid Lifestyle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:07 pm

I sprayed some water from underneath, then took the grinder to it. I did have a fire extinguisher within arms reach just in case, but it wasn't needed.

I did this with an empty tank of gas. I ended up having to drill the screws out also. I was a little paranoid about metal flakes in the gas. So the remaining gas in the tank I shop vac'ed out just in case (and used it for starting bon-fires :D ). The fuel pump does have a cloth screen over the intake just in case.

It didn't take that long, and it wasn't very hard. I did cut my hand on the sheet metal opening though. I recommend putting a towel over the edges.
1996 Trooper 3.2 Manual 4x4 ** OME Springs/Shocks - Daystar Spacers - torsion bar crank - ball joint flip - Indy4x tie-rods - 31" Firestones on 16" MB Razor rims
2001 Trooper 3.5 Anniversary Edition ** ProComp Shocks - OME Springs - Daystar Spacers - torsion bar crank - ball joint flip - 32" Maxxis Buckshot tires on 18" V-cross rims
Liquid Lifestyle
Drives in Mud

Postby Metal88 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 pm

i belive i will be doing this soon...im working on coating my floor with truck bed coating so i will take the opportunity to do this
Sal
-If you don't put any effort in anything you do in life, you mine as well be a vegetable- Burt Munro
Metal88
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby n00brex » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 am

im going at tackling making an access door to replace my fuel pump tomorrow, pictures will be posted.
88 trooperII 2.6 5speed " Optizumus "
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=36792
ImageImageImage ImageImage
n00brex
Loyal P'up

Postby MotoXmg » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 pm

....recently performed this on my '90, based on the information found here. Worked great! Dimensions were reliable. We're up and rolling again!
MotoXmg
Drives on Pavement

Postby lunchfist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Also doing this to my 1990 trooper, either friday or next monday!
-LUNCH.
lunchfist
Drives on Gravel

Postby lunchfist » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm

quick question! where i'm working on my truck at there's no outlets for power... what would work best to cut the floor out?? i've found a few cordless dremel tools for 30-50$ and that's what i was thinking about going with...
-LUNCH.
lunchfist
Drives on Gravel

Postby WillyLin » Mon May 30, 2011 2:44 pm

this is very useful information, I am just wondering if anyone clean their tanks while replacing the pump? I think the rust inside the tank is the main reason that kills the pump. if so how to clean a tank?
Image Image 1993 Trooper LS, auto, 169k miles, OME 919 + spacer >3" lift, TW 32" tires
Warn Manual Locking Hubs, Rancho 5000 Shocks, 3000k 55W HID Fog Lights, additional B&M ATF cooler, interior LED lights, subwoofer.
WillyLin
Trail Master

Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Fuel pump access from floor??

Postby johnny5ive » Sun May 06, 2012 8:26 pm

johnny5ive
I am the Stig

Postby Jay » Sun May 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Captivating as usual John. Love the poke/reference at Bart. And that black fingernail polish.....going goth?

[quote="John"]I made a video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnuzSmfE ... ure=relmfu[/quote]
Jay
Donor
Donor

Postby WillyLin » Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 pm

thanks for the video!! I did drop my tank anyway, it wasn't that bad to do it, took me an afternoon. I painted the exterior of the tank and the tank shield as well...
WillyLin
Trail Master

Postby johnny5ive » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 am

[quote="Jay"]Captivating as usual John. Love the poke/reference at Bart. And that black fingernail polish.....going goth?

[quote="John"]I made a video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnuzSmfE ... ure=relmfu[/quote][/quote]
LOL.. I wish that was fingernail polish... That's hammer on fingernails.... OUCH!!
johnny5ive
I am the Stig

Postby Jay » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah I knew that. Been there done that. Ouch indeed!

By the way, you had your fire extinguisher handy, right?

[quote="John"][quote="Jay"]Captivating as usual John. Love the poke/reference at Bart. And that black fingernail polish.....going goth?

[quote="John"]I made a video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnuzSmfE ... ure=relmfu[/quote][/quote]
LOL.. I wish that was fingernail polish... That's hammer on fingernails.... OUCH!![/quote]
Jay
Donor
Donor

Postby WillyLin » Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 pm

[quote="Jay"]Yeah I knew that. Been there done that. Ouch indeed!

By the way, you had your fire extinguisher handy, right?

[quote="John"][quote="Jay"]Captivating as usual John. Love the poke/reference at Bart. And that black fingernail polish.....going goth?

LOL.. I wish that was fingernail polish... That's hammer on fingernails.... OUCH!![/quote][/quote]
Im glad that didn't happen to me when I did my pump, but I will have some large cloth or fire extinguisher handy ...
it was like a magic... Im glad you are ok Johnny
WillyLin
Trail Master

Postby raylesk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 am

Just repaired fuel pump wires on a 98 trooper:
Center of pump is 14" from rear door seal and 19" from rs wheel well. pump is 5" diameter so I cut about 9-10" square
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
01 Vehicross
98 Trooper 5sp blue
98 Trooper 5sp white
89 dodge raider
01 Trooper diesel auto(in progress)

raylesk was thanked by:
FettAffeniStormy
raylesk
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 2 times

Re:

Postby Amigo627 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:37 pm

dvtrooper wrote:The cut out is the only way to go, and no you don't have to drop the tank i have done this on every isuzu i've owned, 88 t2 , 93 trooper, and a amigo, the amigo was the hardest.

once you figure out were to cut i put a wet towel over the tank and cut it out and used the piece i cut out for the trap door. good luck Don

I am planning to do this on my 91 amigo any tips or could you give me an idea of where to cut on the floor thanks
Amigo627
Drives on Pavement

Previous

Return to Hall of Fame