Pathfinder A/T's from Discount Tire

What fits and What performs

Moderator: Staff

Pathfinder A/T's from Discount Tire

Postby jerm1383 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 am

I've been needing new tires, and since I went up a little bit more on my lift, about 3" total now, I think (OME 929's in the rear with torsion bars adjusted to level out the truck, plus ball joint flip and low profile bump stop) I decided I needed to fill the wheel wells up a bite more, too. I was running 31x10.5-15 BFG A/T's, and loved them, but I couldn't necessarily afford those in the 33x12.5 that I am going to. So I opted for the Pathfinder A/T's. Geez oh man, the size difference was significantly more than I anticipated, in a good way. No rubbing on the road, but I expect a little at full lock while flexing on the trail. Nothing a little trimming cant fix, lol. My truck now sits how I've always wanted it, and I have the ground clearance I've 'needed', for some of the rocky terrain I venture to here in north texas, (Northwest OHV Park & Hidden Falls)

I only have about 8 miles on these tires, and first impressions are good. I"m going to have to play with the tire pressures a bit, I think, but that's par for the course. My question to you all, Does anyone here have experience with these tires? If so, what are your opinions on them? My truck isn't my daily driver, more of a weekend toy, haul my race bikes to the track, crappy winter weather, or just to go camping, so i'm not concerned with poor fuel economy, road noise, or tread life less than 50K miles. I'd like to know about highway stability and trail worthiness, really.

Thanks in advance!!
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
If all else fails, give it more gas. It may not solve the problem, but it will end the anticipation.
1997 Acura SLX - OME 929's, Pro-comp shocks, 33x12.5-15
jerm1383
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: Pathfinder A/T's from Discount Tire

Postby trooper4kids » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:13 pm

You know that you can't tease us like that without pictures, right?? :)
1995 Trooper - first Troop long time ago, sold when 3rd child arrived
1994 Trooper - SOHC, 5 Spd, oldest child's first car
1993 Trooper RS -my DD, DOHC, 5 Spd, bought after driving first kid's rig, realized how much I used to like first Troop!
1998 Trooper - 3.5L oil burner, 5 Spd, 2nd child's car
1999 Trooper - 3.5L needs attention, 5 Spd, 15 YO son's future driver
1993 Trooper RS - DOHC, 5 Spd/blown clutch, significant body damage, not sure whether to modify or strip and crush
trooper4kids
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby jerm1383 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Here's a couple crappy photos, I'll take some better ones in the daylight
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If all else fails, give it more gas. It may not solve the problem, but it will end the anticipation.
jerm1383
Drives in Mud

Postby JMEngland88 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

We have them on my wife's 06 Expedition and they seem to be good tires. Her truck is just the daily personnel carrier, but we went with the A/Ts for both looks and the occasional muddy spot around the lake or rutted dirt road. The big thing that sold me on the Pathfinders was that they were one of the cheapest options out their for A/T tires, but still one of the only ones to carry the severe weather rating (snowflake). We don't get much snow around here but when we do it does the whole melt/refreeze cycle daily so the roads get slippery, so that snowflake was a major selling point. We paid 115 a tire I believe for 265/70r17s. Just can't beat that...
JMEngland88
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby jerm1383 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:06 am

3500 mile update:

On Road:
i drive 50 miles a day to and from work, and the road noise is not bad at all with these. Going from the 31x10.5 to 33x12.5, I did lose a bit of fuel economy and pep, but nothing that I can't live with. The SLX still gets to speed fairly well. My speedo reads about 3 mph slower than I'm actually going at 65mph, so no big deal there. They are fairly smooth, but driving a 20yr old vehicle I can't expect it to ride like the wife's 2016 Patriot. Wet traction is far better than the BFG A/T's I had before this, and they also feel very controlled in ice and snow. Hey are wearing very well and even, I'm running them about 30psi all around. I believe max is 34

Off Road:
These tires performed better than expected on the trails, and I didn't even air down. A buddy with a JK Rubicon running Nitto Grapplers got stuck in a small mud hole that I was able to crawl right through. They performed well in soft sandy areas as well.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with these tires.
jerm1383
Drives in Mud

Return to Wheels & Tires