2WD Pickup Wheel options. Lowered mini truck.

What fits and What performs

Moderator: Staff

2WD Pickup Wheel options. Lowered mini truck.

Postby carwhisperer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I searched before posting, but it seems that most folks on this forum are into off roading, not street trucks.

I have a 2WD 89 SpaceCab. I am doing an LS1 swap. I want to put the biggest tires I can in the back, and I want to lower the truck a little (1-2 inches), so the wheels will go up into the wells at times. I have the stock Isuzu 12 bolt disc rear. I have done some measuring and it looks like there is only 2.5-2.75 inches of clearance between the hub and fender lip (if I roll the lip, I might be able to gain 3/8inch), and about 7.5-7.75 inches of clearance the other way, from the hub to the leaf springs or frame.

If my math is right, I think the biggest tire I can use is 255mm. Maybe 265 if I go crazy, roll the lips and add a Panhard bar to keep the axle from moving side to side.

I think theoretically I could fit a 10inch wide rim, but I don't think I need that given the tire width restriction. So I am thinking 255/xx/17's or 255/xx/18's on 9 inch wide rims.

I want the wheels to come as close to the fender lip as possible. So I think for a 9inch rim I need a positive offset (inward) of about 1.25-1.5 inches, or about ET30-40.

Most modern 6 lug rims I have found have a knobby off road look. I really like the torq thrust look. I know it's not for everyone. I have seen some close to those specs. I am open to other looks. I am not a big fan of black. Polished aluminum would be my ideal.

Who has any experience with this on a pickup? I assume a Rodeo would be about the same situation, although even less likely to find someone with a lowered one.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: 2WD Pickup Wheel options. Lowered mini truck.

Postby geoffinbc » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:05 am

Yea it takes good measurement. There are low cost tools tou can buy to make it easy and check for clearance.

I would not wish a bare polished aluminum wheel on my worst enemy (ok yea I would) they are horrible. You polish the things as much as you drive them. I really like the low shine too so I would suggest finding a way to clear powder coat them if possible. Otherwise a coated or chrome wheel is the way to go.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 323 times

Re: 2WD Pickup Wheel options. Lowered mini truck.

Postby itsmehb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm

geoffinbc wrote:Yea it takes good measurement. There are low cost tools tou can buy to make it easy and check for clearance.

I would not wish a bare polished aluminum wheel on my worst enemy (ok yea I would) they are horrible. You polish the things as much as you drive them. I really like the low shine too so I would suggest finding a way to clear powder coat them if possible. Otherwise a coated or chrome wheel is the way to go.

I'll second the above on polished aluminum wheels. I have the snowflakes that are so popular on my 89. I had the wheels refinished, and there clearcoated. However to save a little I finished the spare myself, and it's polished. I find myself polishing it at least once every week to keep it looking nice. I couldn't imagine having to do that on all the wheels.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 201 times

Return to Wheels & Tires