1989 Trooper II

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

1989 Trooper II

Postby Lifelikeworm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 am

This is my 1989 Trooper II...I can't think of a cool, catchy name.

The biggest change I have made so far is the 2 inches of lift consisting of a torsion bar crank with ball joint flip in the front and extended shackles in the rear. I have installed KYB gas adjust shocks and 264/70 R17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires with 17 inch wheels (from a 2015 Toyota FJ). I am going to do the big brake upgrade from the s2nd gen trooper.

It has the 2.6L 4 cylinder and the Aisin Automatic transmission. I have installed an external transmission cooler and have had good luck using Toyota T-IV transmission fluid in it.

The Trooper has been a lot of fun. I enjoy working on it and taking it to the mountains to go wheeling and camping.

I look forward to sharing my (mis)adventures of owning this trooper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this post the author Lifelikeworm was thanked by:
1995pickup
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 3 times

Sponsor

Re: 1989 Trooper II

Postby e30dean » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:24 am

Hey your trooper looks good. How did the first wheels fit? Did you have to do any modifications?
e30dean
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Lifelikeworm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:21 am

the front wheels fit good no rubbing. But they are a pain to get centered on the lug studs if you are in a hurry. I haven't seen any ill effects of running them but I think toyotas are hub centric - the wheels are machined for the hub to carry the weight and the lugs just hold the wheel on. The trooper is lug centric- the lugs support the weight and hold the wheel on.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Well, I got some parts from JLEMOND. A new intake tube and hose that runs from the vacuum tree to the intake. the old one looked pretty rough and had been sealed with a combination of a nice rubbery sticker from a tire promotion and several healthy layers of duct tape.

It took about 10 minutes and the engine runs better. I am keeping an eye on the new one to see what causes these tubes to deteriorate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby kg4miq » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 pm

The heat from the smog pump air rail, just below the plastic air tube, is what generally causes deterioration.
How to rebuild a 2.6L 4ZE1 distributor

'89 S Trooper - "Kal-El" - 4ZE1
'88 LS Trooper - "Delta" - 4ZE1
'92 Pickup - "Blacktail" - 4ZE1
'89 S Trooper - "Red Leader" - 4ZE1
'89 SE Trooper - "Vader" - 4ZE1
'90 Trooper - "Leia" - 4JG2T swap on hold
'89 Pickup - "Wicket" - 4ZD1
'90 S Trooper - "Nan" - 4ZE1 (possible V8 swap - Ford 302 with 5 speed?)
'94 S Amigo - "Artoo" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'92 XS Rodeo - "Jabba", LH0, 3.1L V6
'89 S Trooper - "Chewie" - 4ZE1, TRADED
'89 XS Trooper - "Red" - 4ZE1, SOLD, bought it back
'89 LS Trooper - "Obi-Wan" - LH0, 3.1L V6
'88 S Trooper - "Stormtrooper" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'91 S Trooper - "Ghost" - L32, 3.4L V6, SOLD
'89 S Trooper - "Angry Bird" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'89 S Trooper - "Phantom" - 4ZE1, salvaged
'90 Pickup - "Uno" - 4ZD1, SOLD

For this post the author kg4miq was thanked by:
Lifelikeworm
kg4miq
Mud King

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby Lifelikeworm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:06 pm

My wife and I are working to become debt free and I decided to sell the Prius I drove to and from work. It sold alot faster then I expected so I had to prepare the Trooper for daily commuting duty post haste.
The radiator had been leaking for a little while and i knew that if I was driving it every day i would inevitably forget to add water.
Lucky for me I found a super cheap "factory replacement" radiator on ebay. While i was at It i thought I would add a transmission cooler and change all of the belts....
I took off the front grill so I could add the transmission cooler.
Loosened the bolts on the fan shroud and pushed it out of the way so I could loosen the radiator hoses and transmission cooling lines.
I took the mounting bolts loose on the radiator.
Pulled the radiator out.
Puled the fan shroud out.
removed old radiator hoses.
removed old belts
reinstalled new belts for alternator, A/C, and power steering, air pump.
painted the fan shroud

Mounted the transmission cooler in front of the condenser for the A/C.
tried installed the "factory replacement" radiator from ebay. it would not fit.
I ordered a new all brass radiator (CSR Brand)band installed it along with the freshly painted fan shroud.

I hooked up all of the new radiator hoses and guess what? I forgot to hook up the transmission cooler lines and I could not reach the inlet/ outlet for the trans cooler. so out everything comes and i take out the transmission cooler put the lines on it and then reinstall every thing one more time. I hooked everything up and checked for leaks. no leak now and the engine temp gauge moved down about 1/8th of an inch.

Lessons learned:

1. hook up external transmission cooler lines before installing everything on top of it
2. don't buy ebay "factory replacement" radiators even when its 1/3 the price of the parts store.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:07 am

After looking for about a year I found this on Ebay...Maybe the bright color will prevent me from loosing it. :D

MarkB.NV
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:51 pm

I was able to trade some second gen amigo wheels for a front and rear bumper from a 1990 Trooper. My plan is to use the front bumper as a template to make a winch bumper. I have seen some really nice one offs from the folks here on PlanetIsuzoo. I don't have any real fabrication experience when it comes to making bumpers and such from scratch but it should be a good learning experience.
I am going to use the rear bumper to replace the current rear bumper which is crushed on the right side.
I knocked the dents out of the new bumper as best I could, sanded, cleaned, and painted it black. No w I just have to make time to mount it.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby egagnon086 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm sure we can make something work on the front, might want some rocker protection also, since you want all those doors to open...
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby SAS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Good looking Trooper! You were wise to replace the radiator--looks like the old one (original ?) was short for this life!

Looking forward to some trail and camp pics.
Trooper & Land Cruiser Enthusiast
trailsoffroad.com
SAS
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby Lifelikeworm » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:56 pm

egagnon086 wrote:I'm sure we can make something work on the front, might want some rocker protection also, since you want all those doors to open...

Great. I'll start saving cardboard and pay you in beer. :)
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:59 pm

SAS wrote:Good looking Trooper! You were wise to replace the radiator--looks like the old one (original ?) was short for this life!

Looking forward to some trail and camp pics.

Thanks! I'm excited to take it out.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Yesterday I left work and it started raining pretty hard so I turned my wipers on high and and the passengers side wiper came loose and started banging against the hood of the trooper. I had to pull over on the side of the road and fix it. I ended up fixing it pretty easily although i did get soaked to the bone.

1. Remove the plastic trim that covers the wiper arm nut
2. loosen the small nut holding the wiper arm on (I think its a 12mm).
3. Pulled straight up on the wiper arm at the attachment point. I had to use a little force to get it loose. At this point you can re-index the wiper arm and tighten up the nut attaching the arm to the spindle.

The teeth on my wiper arm are a little stripped so i'm on he lookout for a replacement arm.

Sorry there aren't more any pictures.
Last edited by Lifelikeworm on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:48 pm

yes i had a similar issue with this happening on the canadian version of a 2 1/2 ton military truck. i was lucky in that i had a 2 $ small set of vice grips. i put some teeth on the mount by clamping them on...REALLLY TIGHT. tadaa instant grab
Its a small amount of fuel , but it's a whole lot of walking..Note from my Dad
97 Rodeo AKA the Pavement Princess.Maybe ill just keep it fairly stock but more capable ... And the 88 Trooper II Christine viewtopic.php?f=15&t=86504
The wild Infantryman is never truly happy in a domesticated role, though they may act like it with their stories of deployments past and the suffering they have endured.
PPCLI-JIM
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby Lifelikeworm » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:05 pm

I had a few hours today so I removed the old rear bumper. Removing the bumper was not too hard but I did have to use the cut off when to dispatch a pesky bolt. Here is the old one...

Old Bumper 1.jpg

As you can see it had some damage that wouldn't buff out. I had to straighten the right rear mounting bracket before I attached the new bumper.

It took a little persuasion the get all of the mounting holes aligned as the replacement bumper was not exactly straight.

New Bumper 1.jpg

Overall, I think the new bumper looks good. I am not sure why I was so nervous about painting the bumper black. I used rust oleum matte finish.

Black Bumper 1.jpg

I dug through the bolt bin and found a carriage bolt to replace the one I had to cut off.

All I have left to do is clean it so I can install the grip tape on the top like it was when new.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 am

Went for a little ride yesterday...here a a couple of pictures.

Creek approach resize.jpg

My daughter loved driving through the water and i enjoyed it more than i care to admit.

Creek Crossing Resized.jpg

The logging roads were pretty fun to drive down.

IMG_3366.JPG

On the trail Resized.JPG

Last picture of the trip...

IMG_3374 resize.jpg

I'll have to do it again soon.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm

I had to replace the Left side motor mount this weekend. I first noticed a strange sound when the Trooper was engaged in 4 Low and i posted a thread here: 4 Low Noise

I found the large nut missing from the engine mount and the mount had collapsed. I was very worried about finding the mount but after calling six parts stores I was able to get the correct mount. I did not have time to replace the RH side and transmission mount but I have them waiting in the garage.

Switching gears... I bought one of the 150 PSI 12v Harbor freight air compressors this weekend. has anyone used one before? what kind of duty cycle do you get from it?

I had just purchased the trooper the first time I took it to Beasley Knob. I did not air down the tires and the BFG Rugged Terrains were practically bald.

Here are a couple pictures of the first trip:

james 1.jpg

james 2.jpg

The Trooper had 20 inch Toyota wheels on it when i bought it. I traded four of those for the five 17 inch Toyota wheels I have on it now.

I am going four wheeling in a few weeks and my tires are 265/70 R17 E rated. What would a good air pressure be for offroading?
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby younggun » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 pm

That is a clean trooper!
I don't have any experience with that specific tire or size but on 255/85r16s I'd generally air down to 15psi

For this post the author younggun was thanked by:
Lifelikeworm
younggun
Mud King

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Lifelikeworm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

I was able to do a little testing with the new harbor freight 12V 150 PSI air compressor. I was curious about the duty cycle of this compressor so I devised this test.

Harbor Freight Compressor.jpg

I aired down all 5 of the tires on the trooper to 15 PSI and then filled them to 35 PSI with the compressor. I was able to fill each tire in less than 3 minutes.

I timed from when I started to screw the compressor hose to the valve stem until the pressure checked at 35 PSI. I would turn off the compressor and use the build in gauge to check. The built in gauge was off by about 6 PSI and I compared it to my trusty ARB knockoff gauge.

IMG_3409.JPG

The outside temperature was about 56 degrees Fahrenheit. the cool temperature definitely helped the compressor performance. I am curious to try this on a 80 - 90 degree day.

I let the compressor run for about 5 minutes before starting the test.

The first tire took about 2 minutes and 35 seconds.

IMG_3407.PNG

Tire number 5 took 2 minutes and 38 seconds.

IMG_3411.PNG

I started with the spare in the back and then did all four on the ground. I did not have to stop the compressor between tires the compressor ran continuously for about 21 minutes (Including warm up time) with no issue. I did not notice any strange smells or unusual noises from the compressor. The noise was nowhere near as annoying as the plastic housing compressors that are included in the roadside emergency kits.
I did get better at attaching the hose to the valve stem so that helped shave a few seconds off of the later tire fills.
I will update with how it holds up.

e30dean
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby e30dean » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Thank you so much for your testing and review. I have been debating getting this compressor because Harbor Freight is hit and miss with their products.
e30dean
Drives on Gravel

Postby Lifelikeworm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 pm

I have been wanting to install a CB in the Trooper for a while but have not found any good options for a first gen. I asked on the Isuzu Trader Facebook page and I was pointed in this direction. The idea is not mine but I thought it would be good t share as 1st Gen Troopers dont have a whole lot of dash real estate to mount a CB.

I attempted to do this with the center console installed but i ended up removing the lid and taking the center console out completely in order to make this modification.

The first thing I did was remove the ash tray from he back of the center console

IMG_3418.JPG

I found some stainless steel scrap I had left over from another project and cut 2 pieces into 4 inch squares. This was large enough to cover the hole left by the ash tray while still being covered up when the CB is mounted.

I taped both pieces together and drilled two holes for mounting bolts.

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

I cut two pieces of drawer liner to sandwich between the metal and the center console.

I placed one piece of metal inside with the drawer line and another piece on the outside, centered it up in the old ash tray opening and tightened the nuts & bolts. Everything fit together nice and tight and did not move.

IMG_3436.JPG

I cleaned the outside piece of stainless steel with some denatured alcohol and stuck two (4x2) inch strips of industrial velcro to the bracket. This velco is rated to hold 10 lbs per strip x 2 = 20 lbs.

IMG_3440.JPG

I stuck the two corresponding strips to the CB and SHAZAAM!!!! CB is mounted.

The good: it hold pretty tight and the CB is easy to get to and i can remove it fairly easily (the velcro stick together very, very well)

The bad: I had to mount the CB higher than I wanted to clear the antenna connection in the back so I cannot open the center console all the way. I have order a 90 degree connector so I can move the radio down.

I am sill working on getting the CB SWR tuned but it beats having the passenger holding the CB.

I'll add a picture of it mounted here shortly....
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby Lifelikeworm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 pm

e30dean wrote:Thank you so much for your testing and review. I have been debating getting this compressor because Harbor Freight is hit and miss with their products.

No problem! Harbor freight has been hit or miss with me as well. I am hoping that it will hold up well. I think I am going to buy a small toolbox to keep everything in. The compressor is a tight fit for the bag that it came in.

I do like the fact that it has an air filter. I would recommend to read the instructions before using. It has some maintenance tips and usage instructions that are actually helpful.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby egagnon086 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

e30dean wrote:Thank you so much for your testing and review. I have been debating getting this compressor because Harbor Freight is hit and miss with their products.

It's always better to live within 20 mins of a Harbor freight if you buy their products. I always test electrical stuff before I leave so I wont have to bring back a dud.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Lifelikeworm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Yes, definitely an advantage.
Lifelikeworm
Drives on Dirt

Postby theXO » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:30 pm

That CB mount looks great! Way cleaner than mine and you took the time to write up a post! Nice rig!
1987 Trooper 2.3 on 31s.

For this post the author theXO was thanked by:
Lifelikeworm
theXO
Drives on Pavement

Next

Return to Member's Rides