93 trooper re-fresh

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

93 trooper re-fresh

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:47 pm

so, I got this trooper for free from a buddy of mine. brought it home, looked it over- minor things in the interior (lights, rear door inner handles not working, stereo is junk, some speakers not working)
exterior wise its straight, but rusty around the rear wheel-wells. windshield is cracked, but not in my line of sight. broken pass side exterior mirror lens (power &heated) tires shot, stone bruised headlights, inop fog lights.

jacked it up and pulled the tires- brakes ok, new shocks all around, BUT worn-out front end parts. bad ball-joints, tie rod, idler pitman, idler arm. bad outer cv boot

so fast forward 6 months, I was slowly getting parts for it.
complete front end kit-$173- all 4 ball-joints, inner and outer tie-rods, drag link and sway-bar end links.
pit-man idler, $16
4 cv boots, $18 each.

so, this last weekend I tackled the front-end. put the unit on the hoist. those ball joints came out pretty easy, pickle fork on the top, pitman arm remover for the bottom-boy did they snap out of the bottom!
tie-rod remover (and a bfhammer) for the drag-link and tie-rod ends.

axle boots were easy, but one of the new boots had the wrong clamp in the box, the wife and I fought with it- finally grabbed a clamp from the other box, and things went easy after that. :roll:
its all back together, now off to the alignment shop to straighten the front-end, and install 4 different tires (current ones scuffed off on the front, one rear is badly weather cracked, the spare is slashed on the sidewall)

so far, $261 in parts.
need to order sway bar bushings. that's another $30
new to me tires were free. lt 245/75 r 16 bridgestones. 60-75 % tread on them

next, some rad work-I noticed a small leak at the drain petcock, tried tightening it by hand and -it snapped off-but its threads are still in the hole. maybe a small reverse easy-out will get it out. will do a cooling system flush at the same time.

don't know when the timing belt/water pump was last done- that's on the list as well.
pesky rear abs light on. sensor, or wiring? will try to pull codes out of it.

that's about it ,for now......
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 93 trooper re-fresh

Postby 93trooperpooper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am

I also noticed hairline cracks in the front brake lines- those are on the list now

when I had the pass side axle apart, I noticed damage from a hammer on the end of the cv shaft- made it difficult to remove the inner auto hub assembly- but with enough wiggling and pulling, and then a small tap from a hammer (with a bolt screwed into the end of the cv) it came off.
also noticed the engagement ''teeth'' on the auto hub assemblies (both sides) have rounded off edges, not nice and sharp- :roll: I guess its time for manual hubs.
aisin hubs would be nice, but I don't think I can find any used ones locally. not many Isuzu vehicles around here.
found some new aisin ''clones'' on ebay, about $90 shipped to my door. are they any good? for what its worth, I don't go off road much, the 4wd just comes in handy at times.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby e30dean » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Ive looked into getting locking hubs for my 95 trooper as well. Just based on my budget I have been looking at the SuperWinch brand and have read some good reviews. Some guys have even been running 38's with them. Seems like the key is to keep up on taking care of them like lubrication.
e30dean
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 pm

yeah, not sure which hubs to go with- I rarely use 4wd, so the auto hubs are handy- but ive read and seen problems with them.

wheel alignment went well, I was surprised that they had it done the same day I took it in-it went in after 3pm, told the shop what I wanted done, told him I would pick it up Friday.
called them around 4:45 (the same day I dropped it off), I had a question about balancing the tires, and he told me they were almost done- EVERYTHING- :shock: wheel align and 4 tires installed in less than 2 hours!
now to pay the man!

back at my shop, I replaced ALL the interior light bulbs with led units. repaired the rear cargo door light switch, as well as both rear door switches. just dirty contacts, cleaned then lubed with graphite spray, dielectric grease on the screws.

tore into the dash, trying to fix burnt-out bulbs- :evil: damn tiny bulbs! #194 and #37 are easy to find, but those tiny twist n lock bulbs in the switches are pure evil to find! might have to get a bunch from the wreckers next time I am there :roll: I ordered a bunch of different ones from e-bay....now to wait :|

vacuumed LOTS of broken glass from the gauge cluster pocket, it was stuck in place with soda pop someone spilt in there :x
I took the lh dash vent out , there was a lot of glass in there as well, making it so it would not open or close fully.

mocked up a jvc headunit for tunes, as the factory deck was pretty much toast. fits well, now on to the wiring for that.

need to find a intake tube (torn) or make my own.
needs rad petcock- cant seem to find a new one anywhere locally.
waiting on led 9004 bulbs for the headlights. (ebay, again)
that's it, for now........ :wink:
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 92TXTrooper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87261

an intake hose from a 93-95 rodeo/passport will fit on at trooper.
92 Trooper S 3.2 SOHC 5-SPEED, 235/85r15 Cooper ST MAXX.
92TXTrooper
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:59 pm

not much going on with the trooper . busy with repairs on trucks and trailers for work. the trooper got kicked outside as I needed the room, and its been stupid cold lately. need to keep the work trucks warm and unfrozen.

I did pick up some 4 inch by 2 inch led lights to replace the broken fog lights. they should fit in the stock locations nicely.

still waiting on other parts.

that's about it, for now.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:07 am

I ordered some led headlamp bulbs, they arrived last week. some of the replacement dash bulbs have arrived. I also ordered a pair of locking hubs for it.
I went to move it the other week, I thought I locked it up, but it wasn't. hmm.
then I noticed the drivers seat reclined all the way, centre console open...and a flashlight laying on the seat (not mine!)
some small hand tools I left in there were not touched....
so I took the flashlight, cleaned it up, and later found out it was worth $125! a rechargeable led tactical "coast" brand flashlight!
so I engraved my name on it right away. works awesome!

next on the list-timing belt kit, front brake lines, brake fluid flush.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby BigSwede » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:08 am

Not a big fan of Superwinch hubs, seen too many of them break in Moab. But never an Aisin.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 250 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:11 pm

the hubs are aisin ''knock-offs''- most likely good enough for me, I am mostly on paved surfaces. I use the 4wd in the wifes truck maybe 2-3 times a year.
changed out the headlamp bulbs to led, easy install, nice and bright!
replaced 8 bulbs in the dash so far- all led upgraded.
2 in the hvac control unit, 3 in the combo power mirror/fold/rear defog switch. those 3 were a pain, had to disassemble that switch to get them to fit just right.
cig lighter, ashtray, and glovebox were easy. also did all the dome lights/ door lights.
led lights in the reverse lights.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:39 pm

ordered cam plugs/seals and front brake hoses on Friday.
just ordered water pump/ timing belt kit.
on Monday I will order plugs, o2 sensor, fuel and trans filter, valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals. and new belts.
previous owner installed new k&n air filter and spark plug wires.
will wash it very well before disassembly- its filthy under the hood.
and I got polyurethane sway bar parts last week as well.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23 pm

so today I ordered filters, plugs, various gaskets, o2 sensor. forgot the belts.

mocked up the retrofit led lights in the stock fog light holes; with the plastic bezels they are too big, without the plastic bezels they are too small. will continue to look for another size-possible 8''x 4'' dual row led bars.

found a 5 wire pig-tail plug- in, taped up with the fog lamp wiring. both sides. will probe the wires, see what they are for- more lights?!
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:50 pm

so, I started the tear down for timing belt/ water pump replacement. pulled rad hoses. filthy coolant, silt in lower tank-hose. I guess that's what was keeping the broken drain petcock from leaking!
pulled trans cooler lines, fluid dark and stinky/burnt smelling. service the trans sooner than later!
has newer rad hoses. belts were new, but were never re-tightened properly, and all 3 are now glazed.
will flush out rad/trans cooler before it gets put back in.
it looks like I need to order MORE SEALS AND GASKETS !GRRRR! I didn't realize I would have to pull the intake to remove the valve covers, or the silly water pump tube O-rings . then again, almost same design as the mitsu 3.0 v6 in Chrysler minivans-same deal.
will find the needed parts tomorrow. metric orings :roll:
it wasn't leaking a/freeze from the motor or pump, but if I disturb them, they most likely will leak :blackeye:
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:51 am

IMG_1552.JPG

dirty rad

led lights in hvac control
IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

overall decent, some rust around rear fenderwells.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm

no oil leaks from the crank or cam seals- cam plugs look dry as well.(I didn't pull the cam gears yet) timing marks were not that easy to find, but after searching the forum I finally got it.
plug wires made a suction noise when I pulled them out- might as well do those seals as well. noticed oil down there.

just ordered intake gasket set, pcv valve. picked up new drive belts, a few different lengths are listed, I got two of each for a/c and fan/alt, 3 different ones for the power steering.
power steering return line leaking at the pump (poor clamp)

more led dash bulbs arrived yesterday, and my hubs arrived today!
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm

just pulled the upper intake, lh side valve cover- I don't know which is dirtier, the outside or inside :oops:
most of the vacuum lines cracked. need to find the coolant hoses for the throttle body.
valve cover gaskets are brittle and cracked in places.cam plugs leaking. might as well pull cam gears and crank, do those seals as well. :roll:
I guess that's to be expected, it has over 375,000 km on it- looks like its never been apart- maybe a timing belt was done, but all the other bolts were untouched by a socket or wrench.
what a pain to get at some of the bolts. bonus on the oil leaks, the egr bolts and lifting eye came out easy 8)
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

pulled the pass side valve cover, just as dirty in and out.

noticed that the nylon rub block under the inner cam chain can move sideways very easily, I could pull it out easily if I wanted.
the lh side nylon blocks are in place, they don't move side to side at all.

I guess that needs to be fixed, before that falls out and wrecks the engine.....
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:48 pm

called ron (rpm) in Utah- he has been out of stock on the tensioners for awhile :x my machine shop guy is gone for the weekend :x

its plastic rivet is broken on the trailing side, so it stays straight when running....but all the stress is on just the one plastic rivet.
maybe some type of glue or epoxy to hold it in place? I have used permatex ''right stuff" rtv sealant on diff covers, had to use a hammer and chisel to get the cover off..... :?:
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

so I ordered a hyd tensioner for timing belt, the kit I ordered didn't come with one. :x

I forgot that it needs u-joints in the front shaft. will order 4, do the front and rear shaft. seals aren't leaking. :D

looks like I will order new cam tensioners in the next few days from a forum member. this is an unexpected cost and downtime. :oops:

at least the valve covers are squeaky clean, in and out! 8)
so, with new parts, I should get another 375,000 km? :lol: :lol: :lol:
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:22 pm

got 4 new u-joints.
installed the ''clone'' asin locking hubs. had some 1 inch i.d. shims in different thickness, put them in a vise and bored out the inside until they fit over the axle shaft. put the proper shim in place, then used a 1'' stainless c-clip to retain it. lubed up the outer locking dial, used Loctite on all the bolts.
flushed out the rad with fleetguard ''restore plus''- it was filthy in AND out. let it soak internally overnight. flushed out with hot water, but might get it pressure tested- a lot of the fins are rotten and green.
doing it bit by bit, between fixing the equipment getting it ready for another season of work, co-workers vehicles and home life.
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:45 pm

too many things on the go right now to get anything done on the trooper.guys are coming back to work, every year it seems they need re-training for the smallest tasks! :roll: at least our safety training is done. 8)
bought a '76 f 150 for a farm truck for $200- 460 c-6 reg cab, runs on propane. 8) needs a few minor things, runs/drives great.
now the wife can stop worrying about the kids using her truck around the yard. :roll:
been trying to diagnose a cat c-7 at work, damn thing just wont run right-sometimes. just when I send it out the door, the next day it wont idle properly, and low on power. then later in the day they start it up and it runs fine :evil: I hope its not the heui pump starting to fail.
my parts for the trooper should be here today :D :D
oh, and the crank seal failed on my car, pissing oil everywhere. pulled the cover, and the timing belt was worn to half its width. :shock: underdrive pulley is damaged/worn, belt cover chewed up...... :?
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby 93trooperpooper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 am

cleaned the rad out better while I was prepping a fuel tank at work for a por-15 treatment. used high temp low pressure from the pressure washer to clean it inside and out. filthy. might as well get it pressure tested.

then the wifes car started to vibrate badly, turns out its something in the trans.need to swap that out , before anymore gets done on the trooper.
always something.....
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby BigSwede » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:09 am

93trooperpooper wrote:oh, and the crank seal failed on my car, pissing oil everywhere. pulled the cover, and the timing belt was worn to half its width. :shock: underdrive pulley is damaged/worn, belt cover chewed up...... :?

Could be the water pump is worn out and pushing the belt, happened to my old 93.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 250 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:36 pm

been a few days....guys are back at work, kept me busy.
had to do a clutch in my sons car, so I would leave work, go straight home and work on that. ONLY took 3 days to get the PROPER clutch :x got it moving last night, now it is leaking coolant :roll:

so for today I tackled the tensioners, or at least one of them (lhside) would have been nice to have a fsm, but I searched the forum for the info I needed.

marked the cams, caps and chain/sprockets with a paint pen to help with re-assembly. just a little wiggling here and there to get the tensioner between the chain and sprockets and it was in.
lubri-plate on the wear surfaces, permatex on the end caps, all new seals installed. Loctite on the tensioner bolts.

the bottom pad of this one had a broken "rivet'' as well, I could not see that from the top. :shock:
93trooperpooper
Drives on Pavement

Return to Member's Rides