Jim's new ride 97 Isuzu Rodeo

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: My 88 Trooper Christine

Postby SAS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:05 am

Great idea on the fold-down tray for your stove! Sorry to see a failed rotor (third time, you say?), ouch (knocks on wood).
Trooper & Land Cruiser Enthusiast
'95 FZJ80
'94 FZJ80
'83 FJ60
Deja Blue! 1988 LWB 2-DR 4ZE1 Trooper II
Added in OCT 2016: 1988 Trooper II
SAS
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 21 times

Sponsor

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:51 pm

I stole the idea from expedition portal in the misc builds thread . yup 3 rotors 2 front and now the rear But for the rear the pad failed .
Its a small amount of fuel , but it's a whole lot of walking..Note from my Dad
97 Rodeo AKA the Pavement Princess.Maybe ill just keep it fairly stock but more capable ... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=86504 My 88 Trooper II viewtopic.php?f=15&t=85416
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which hold forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby itsmehb » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 am

PPCLI-JIM wrote:well now after taking it out hunting last weekend it sounded like it was running a little rich so i pulled the plugs and now its DEAD again. spins but no spark... I suspect the ignitor box as its the likely suspect. found one used 100 $ ouch but if thats the cost of keeping her alive so be it :oops:

Is that the ignitor under the intake on the itec system? If so I should have one as I removed all that stuff when I did the Weber conversion on mine.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:29 am

yup that little black box with a short lead running to it if you have it pm me please
97 Rodeo AKA the Pavement Princess.Maybe ill just keep it fairly stock but more capable ... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=86504 My 88 Trooper II viewtopic.php?f=15&t=85416
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which hold forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby wmorrisiii » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 am

Just caught up on your thread, Lots of progress there and glad she is running good. What type of grouse, same ruffled ones we get into down here in VA, or the sharptail ones we shoot in the Dakotas. I'm guessing sharptail. Diamond plate on the rear doors looks good.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 157 times

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:56 pm

not running so good right now :roll: .. actually its not running at all . all signs point to ignitor box but i have managed to source 1. we get 5 types of grouse up here but this is a ruffed grouse , the most common . im always hoping to find Blues as they are much bigger. My brothers here right now so hes getting a few ideas as to what i need for material for my projects. hes gonna build me a new gun locker and make it so it can flat pack then i can weld here. along with matrial for a new front and rear bumper, and il grab spare check plate for armor plating the insides of this thing !!! :D :twisted:
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to show what came in the mail today. :D 2 Expedition portal t shirts and a functional igniter box 8) ...not shown the good one as i put it in and Christine my 88 Trooper II RUNS!!! :drunken: A HUGE shout out THANKS for all the info and help to keep this rig going !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this post the author PPCLI-JIM was thanked by:
RickP
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:43 pm

hey who is it that has the thread on how to rebuild a distributor ? i took Christine to the local MR LUBE for a FREE oil change and apparently mine is leaking.. good news is that everyhing else under thee looks good ! :D

edit i found it !!! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55237

Now to find a gasket / seal up here in Canada land
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby Torquemonster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 pm

If its leaking from under the cap the internal seals may be tricky to find down. In my case it was coming from where the dizzy fits in the block. 30 cents and 10 minutes later mine was fixed!
1987 Trooper 2 door MSG-5 4ZD1 Weber 32/36 31"s viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87854
95 Rodeo 3.2 V6 MUA-5 4.10 gears 33" Yokohamas 3" lift SOLD http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25
1990 Trooper LS 2.8 5 speed 2" lift 31's (my dads rig)
Previously: 88 Trooper 2.6 MUA-5 3.5" lift 33"s 4.77s Aisin hubs, 89 Trooper 2.6 automatic no lift 31"s, both my dads
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:04 pm

well i tightend my rocker cover . found a set of dizzy seals on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/honda-distributo ... Kp&vxp=mtr

and how to do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKESgHg-yD8
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Re: Jim's new ride 97 Isuzu Rodeo

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:55 pm

so i have decided on a set of driving lights bought off Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/KAWELL-Flood-Beam ... ed+bar+18w as im tired of getting blinded by truckers who have their rigs lit up like the TAJ MAHAL and i got a relay to wire them in . while I do know my way around a set of wire crimpers its the first time to install one of these things. so I called my friend up whos a journeyman electrician and had him explain it to me. after a few minutes he sent a video link to me ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeKTli ... ture=share so from there i played with my little battery jump box and got the basic wireing connections figured out . But it does look like the electrical gods sneezed right now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 pm

So after much putting it off the CV's are being done. .. what a gianourmous pain in the butt. well as i was fighting my way into dropping the front diff Jerry lemond sent me a note on how to do it Thanks !!
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby Beamer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Could you do me a big favor and post Jerry's comments on how to make the CV joint replacement easier? I am planning on pulling mine soon to repack everything.
Cheers
Scott
94 Rodeo, 115k on odo. 4x4, 5spd.
Changes; Indy4x HD torsion bars, OME springs, indy4x shackles, Indy4x ball joint flip/spacers, Warn hubs, sway bar bushings. New polyurethane boots for ball joints, and Mecatech boots for CV joints. Shock post extensions, shock boots, low profile bump stops.
BFG AT KO2 285/75/16, alloy wheels.
Regeared to 456, and front Lokka locker
Build thread; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=85242&p=753729#p753729
Beamer
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Beamer wrote:Could you do me a big favor and post Jerry's comments on how to make the CV joint replacement easier? I am planning on pulling mine soon to repack everything.
Cheers
Scott

IF REPLACING THE WHOLE AXLE ASSY YES , THE INNER CUP IS HELD IN PLACE BUY THE FRAME BRACKETS, IF THE INNER CUPS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE USUALLY A NEW BOOT AND A CLEANED UP BALL AND SPER COLLAR INSIDE THAT SOUP C AN AND WILL TAKE CARE OF ANY NOISE .

i ended up dropping the front diff to allow access to it along with pulling the pitman arm to gain just a bit more clearance . BUT i replaced the entire assy, as the set i bought were a 3 ball set vice the six ball set that was in the rodeo. I will be attacking the pass side tomorrow so I will take more pics you will need some big wrenches to do this if your doing the entire axle. 22 mm hold the diff up and they are not captive bolts/ nuts either so you have to hold them while turning. on the backside of the drop plate are 2 c clips and a bearing which make pulling the plate a requirement if replacing it all. i have no idea why Isuzu did it this way vs the way everyone else did it where they can be removed rather more easy.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:20 pm

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/isuz ... eplacement heres the link to the pic its on the page .. prepared to curse bring heat WD40 and pry bar. :x
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:23 pm

One set done one set to go but I do have a light set (Cdn tire specials) also that I could use up front IF I had to. This here is 2 chains and no I'm not leaving them here as there are too many light fingered individuals around my place. but i was checking the fit . i had to take 3 links off one side as these were made from a set of rig chains
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 pm

well its been a while this does run but not the way I know it can so I have sourced a carb ,intake, distibutor, air filter can,throttle cable for 100 $ US + shipping ! :shock: next to do wait for shipping quote i hope its not to bad :roll:
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby Beamer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks a bunch.
I have repacked the CV joints once, replaced the boots with the mecatech boots, then took it all back out again to regear, but always looking for an easier way.
I didn't drop the front differential when I repacked everything, but I obviously had to for the regear.
I am not looking forward to it, that is for sure...
Cheers
Scott
94 Rodeo, 115k on odo. 4x4, 5spd.
Changes; Indy4x HD torsion bars, OME springs, indy4x shackles, Indy4x ball joint flip/spacers, Warn hubs, sway bar bushings. New polyurethane boots for ball joints, and Mecatech boots for CV joints. Shock post extensions, shock boots, low profile bump stops.
BFG AT KO2 285/75/16, alloy wheels.
Regeared to 456, and front Lokka locker
Build thread; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=85242&p=753729#p753729
Beamer
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Torquemonster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 pm

I hope you have better luck with the factory carb than I did! The throttle shaft on mine had 1/8" of play.
The carbs are just so much simpler than the early fuel injection IMO
95 Rodeo 3.2 V6 MUA-5 4.10 gears 33" Yokohamas 3" lift SOLD http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25
Previously: 88 Trooper 2.6 MUA-5 3.5" lift 33"s 4.77s Aisin hubs, 89 Trooper 2.6 automatic no lift 31"s, both my dads
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:40 pm

i had to drop the diff because i replaced the entire shaft not just the outer half.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:58 am

well i sit back and relax now got the other cv installed final 2 chains finished, (grand total of 4 HD chains done ) peeled the face off the ROWDAYO replaced the old messed up headlights and finished the wiring layout for the whoopie lights. :drunken:
Last edited by PPCLI-JIM on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:05 am

it was nice to have the pit when doing this upgrade. for everyones info theres 4 clips holding the grill on the top to get to the bottom ones you have to pul the bumper which is held on by 4 17 mm headed bolts. then theres 4 more clips and 1 screw hided in the dark portion of the grill center low.
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Torquemonster wrote:I hope you have better luck with the factory carb than I did! The throttle shaft on mine had 1/8" of play.
The carbs are just so much simpler than the early fuel injection IMO

I'll have time to check it all out then see if I have to pop for the Weber right away. I aint doing this job in this weather :geek: :joker:
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby PPCLI-JIM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:01 pm

new lighson and running :roll:
PPCLI-JIM
Super Trooper

Postby Torquemonster » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:07 pm

PPCLI-JIM wrote:it was nice to have the pit when doing this upgrade. for everyones info theres 4 clips holding the grill on the top to get to the bottom ones you have to pul the bumper which is held on by 4 17 mm headed bolts. then theres 4 more clips and 1 screw hided in the dark portion of the grill center low.

When I removed mine, I used a long, thin flat blade screwdriver to reach in and push the bottom clips. My bumper bolts all were seized and broke the welded nuts loose, and at the time I didnt want to mess with it. Ive had the grill off my Rodeo probably 5 or 6 times
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides