Isuzu SUV Forum banner

PPCLI Jims Isuzu ramblings

24K views 154 replies 11 participants last post by  PPCLI-JIM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
20160101_120235.jpg
I've named my Trooper Christine because when I purchased it I knew it had problems. Some easy some more difficult to figure out. I thought I had electrical issues to the WW front and rear but after a few days both are working ! :shock: same with the rear defrost ? well that was easy theres another few issues that I have to tackle some underlying problems before i attack others . MY exhaust is toast , and theres some motor issues that could be related to it. One thing then another all in a logical order :wink: . But when I got it i knew it needed tires so over to the wrecking yard and found a set of 30 x 10 x 15 for the thing for 150 $ studded no less ! :blackeye: . with that immediate problem solved i thought I could slide on some other things I wanted to do . well that was a mistake.

well after that debacle I decided I need a WINCH 8 k at least .. being on a pension i decided to check the craigslists used loops kijiji etc and found one NIB for 200$Champion brand .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Planet. Have fun with Christine.

I am glad to see that you realize she will need some TLC. Be sure to check all of the rubber parts especially the vacuum hoses, boots and bushings.

#3 ·
After much pondering and humming and a little hawing i came up with a rough idea. so it was out with the grinder to get the annoying crowned bolts off that hold the bumper in its location. As i will be building a new one from plate stock later the small cuts dont bother me the least as its no longer in mint show condition. i took some 2" steel tubing and bolted it to the frame (To be welded when completed) this allows a 2 1/2" steel tubing to slide over it and the winch mounting plate to be secured to .

from there after a few measurements I cut some holes in the stock bumper to allow passage of the "FRAME EXTENSION" ill call them .

i then slid the 2.5 " tubing over these and did an initial fit and tacked them on to the plate. ( Just incase they were not square or twisted etc" once i slide them on and off a few times i then did some heavier welds down them 3 passes for each connection . Go big or go home !

Attachments

#4 ·
Ive already did the head gasket I forgot to mention and checked hoses then I wish I knew about relocating the ignition block and the other air valve before i bolted it together....

from here I will be diving into the electrics and vacuum system . i want to upgrade my alt as I have already added a 700 CCA battery .
on the inside i need to add some interior lights as there are none , I am thinking LED
then a Cabinet / storage system for the back end. I am already thinking of fridges and sleeping quarters . As I did nearly 30 years in the military I am used to having a lot less creature comforts then what I can easily build into this :albino:

Attachments

#5 ·
It is nice to work on the mods but remember the truck is almost 30 years old and may have deferred maintenance, I assume that you did an oil change and basic tune up.

Check the vacuum lines. If the ends are brittle, they will leak and the truck will run poorly.

Check the boots on the ball joints, tie rods and cv axles. Cracked boots let the grease out and grit in.

If the truck leans a lot and squeaks in turns, the bushings in the leaf springs are probably shot.

You have a 2 piece drive shaft. The carrier bearing supports it where it goes through the cross member. Check the rubber in the carrier bearing for tears. If the rubber goes, the drive shaft will bounce around and bang around the cross member.

Check the fluids in the tranny and difs.

If you have the 2.6l 4 cly engine, it needs to have the valves adjusted every 12000 miles. Failure to keep the vales adjusted will result in a burnt valve and cause lose of compression and power in that cylinder.

#6 ·
Thanks for the heads up . i am pretty savvy with a wrench its just a matter of figuring out what needs work. if you look in my signature line you will see the build that I am doing for my Suzuki Samurai. The reason why I post questions is simply not being familiar with the specific vehicle . some one who has worked on theirs will generally know one of the better ways to do something rather then the by the book method . I grew up with a wrench in my hand and topped it off with further training in the military .(Hull Tech Cdn Navy) So I do have some good fab skills. But I'd rather ask the stupid question rather then get a flamboyant failure :oops: . As the weather gets warmer or if I get shop space i will see to crawling under the body and doing some more extensive poking around . the main issue is im on a pension now .. I dont mind spending the money and when I do it's generally on a better quality item then the cheap knock off. so like you say there are things to check and I will be checking them. ill be looking forward to the day when all I want / have to do is a respray of the beat up paint. :p

#7 ·
The 2 main sources of parts are Jerry Lemond (JLemond) on this site for genuine Isuzu parts and Matt at Independent 4x4 for after market parts.

Reactions: PPCLI-JIM
#8 ·
Welcome to our forum. Just stumbled on this post and completely am awed with your Suzuki build. You are very able to tackle anything the Trooper will present. These are fairly bullet proof, but as all cars they have some weak points. As with any alloy head iron block engine there are head gasket issues. Some think torqueing the head at each valve adjustment helps prevent that. Rust can be an issue on Isuzu's that grew up in the rust belt where salt is used in the winter. As to the head gasket issues, make sure your cooling system is up to the task. I even thing your money ahead replacing the radiator ahead of time instead of waiting for it to become an issue. They do not like to be over heated. Post up your progress and we like pictures. And thanks for your service, I only managed 4 years. Navy.

Reactions: PPCLI-JIM
#11 ·
I started life in the Northwest Territories. and during my time in the infantry i was never really overawed by the cold. :D I did a Exercise on the norther tip of Hudsons bay where the temp with windchill factor was -85 degrees c :drunken: I enjoyed it ! The only real issue is when I go to use a power tool and the batteries dont like the cold or when i freeze a retainer to my hand .... i try to think ahead thus the plywood down and what you dont see is a ridgerest to kneel / lay upon in the snow and ice. when out smashing around I always have 2 tarps with me one for shelter and one to lay on if i have to do some work / chain up the vehicle. so much nicer not getting snow down your clothing it may be sucky that your working on the beast but "Hey it could be worse." :D

The sami is as bone simple as they get unless I go to a points ignition system ! But i am going to a VW AAZ 1.9 motor for the simple fact its a MECHANICAL Diesel. i need 3 wires to run it , which means utter reliability as long as i am not a complete yobbo with it. :mrgreen:
I got it from my brother in law who knew he was killing it with neglect, and since then it has been given some (LOL) tlc. in the build thread you can see how one thing has lead to another . Since i have decided to go diesel it has become a more focused build, costing me less I hope in the long run.
the Isuzu is a different class of vehicle being TBI {ITECH] a long with the changes in suspension. Its much bigger and heavier too. I like the size as I am almost done my plans for the inside mods so I can add a sleeping platform and storage system to it so I can do some longer duration expeditions with it. I will be making my roof rack system
acceptable to load my boat on with my winch as the helping hand so I can do it solo. i did this with great success on my samurai.
heres pisc of my Sami and one of the boats have made . i use my winch to pull it up and on the racks. I added some abs pipe to act as a roller and its great for that

Attachments

#12 ·
So I have done the O2 sensor on my 88 Isuzu with 2.6. I ended up hacking a wrench so I could remove and install the thing. had to find the cheapest 7/8" wrench in my collection and then went to town with a grinder. I hate doing this to perfectly useable tools but it was the only way to get the job :roll: done

Attachments

#13 ·
Last time I did it on a 1sr gen Trooper, I cut off the wire coming out of the sensor and used a deep well socket. Glad you worked it out.

#14 ·
Being a hamfisted civy now with the spare part in hand thats how i solved the one coming out. well actually i leaned in grabbed the wire and pulled :shock: with that done i could easily get the socket on it for removal.From there it was easy with the wrench in hand. plugged it in and the O2 light did not come on . Not that it was on anyway.Just trying to eliminate possibilities. Next its the water temp sensor in the hard to reach spot under the ITECH box and manifold

#15 ·
Well the weathers warmed up a few degrees and my house guest has left . Time to start back in on the mods. I started tearing apart the rear bumper and found out its a multi piece design SWEET!!!. So I dismantled it cleaned up the original bolts replaced the missing ones and now have the dimensions to build a bumper / tow point. :mrgreen:

Attachments

#16 ·
so heres a few more pics

Attachments

#17 ·
started in on my rear fancy bits 1/4 " 4" angle the tube is 2 1/2" 1/4 " the 2 beads of weld will be backed up by angle that i will overweld also . :x

Attachments

#18 ·
Here you can see i'm almost done. I still have chain points ,plug plate ,paint, and drag points. But my back is killing me. I will be adding the two stock bumper bits when all is done.

Attachments

#19 ·
heres the dimensions in case any one wants to improve on my basic design .

Attachments

#20 ·
PPCLI-JIM said:
Here you can see i'm almost done. I still have chain points ,plug plate ,paint, and drag points. But my back is killing me. I will be adding the two stock bumper bits when all is done.
I'm extremely impressed with your work, very nicely done!! :thumbup:

Shaggy

#21 ·
Dont you hate it when you get on a roll and all of a sudden you come to a complete and total stop. well I ran out of welding wire :oops: Curses!
so far the fit is pretty good I will have to back up the winch points also . I will do a plug weld by drilling from the top and welding to the box tubing to the frame of this .on all parts :D

Attachments

#22 ·
ill have to mount it to figure out where the winch mounts will go .. sigh as there are no trips planned i will leave it like this for now . I will have to drill larger holes for the chains to hook into . I also have start cleaning my metal better in the future . these were second passes. failing to clean properly creates all the splatter you see which was cleaned off for my 3rd pass

Attachments

#23 ·
:) it's in/on all bolts connected. what a pain i missed with a set of holes and had to fill the holes by welding them full then redrilling in the correct place :chef: its a very stealthy improvement

Attachments

#24 ·
itsmehb said:
Welcome to our forum. Just stumbled on this post and completely am awed with your Suzuki build. You are very able to tackle anything the Trooper will present. These are fairly bullet proof, but as all cars they have some weak points. As with any alloy head iron block engine there are head gasket issues. Some think torqueing the head at each valve adjustment helps prevent that. Rust can be an issue on Isuzu's that grew up in the rust belt where salt is used in the winter. As to the head gasket issues, make sure your cooling system is up to the task. I even thing your money ahead replacing the radiator ahead of time instead of waiting for it to become an issue. They do not like to be over heated. Post up your progress and we like pictures. And thanks for your service, I only managed 4 years. Navy.
re. the samurai I say in the end ill have a Ultimate Post Apocalypse Go Anywhere Do Anything 4X4 that will be completely redone by hands that i trust. Kinda like the old Rolls Royces [lol]. I'm already pretty chuffed in what I've accomplished with the poor think considering the state I got it in. It's taken me a lot further then i expected it to but when im done it will stand out in the entire motor world as a singular piece of mechanical work, I shall be inline for a nobel prize and covers of many magazines will want to mark up my work by draping scantily clad women all over it

same thing with the isuzu build. im getting itchy to resume the work on it but im waiting on metal which can add up. i can get it for free by visiting my brother , who works at a metal fab shop. so im gonna do some dumpster diving while there

#25 ·
new to me Bose seats Arrow truck and transport was binning these and they are in great shape . Ill take em to a detailer now they are installed

Attachments

#26 ·
Little Sami is very cool, nice touch with the boat loader, back saver for sure. I did not see a big *** propane heater blowing under that truck, but if I was rolling around in the snow under it, it would be in the picture :D Even an hour or two on cold concrete is more than enough to remind we why God invented lifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.