Revive an 88 Trooper

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Revive an 88 Trooper

Postby RickP » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 pm

itsmehb wrote:Your real estate purchase is great looking. Looks very rural and scenic. where is it? And what luck finding the round eye grill. I've been looking for one for all most 2 years. We haven't had an 84-86 in the scrap yards here in a while.

Thanks, the property is in Manchester, TN. I hate to say it, but I found another round eye grille setup when I was in Colorado last week. I decided to keep it for a spare since they are hard to come by and we have a lot of big critters who jump out in front of you around here.
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 38 times

Sponsor

Postby hessmess » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I like the tank set up. My brother is in the garage door business. I am going to tap him for some struts and bolts. I read your comments on finding the AC leak, I'd go to the hardware store and buy some leak detector for gas piping. It is way better than water or like some window cleaner. If it is really slow it may take a day to show up but it will show itself. I used to be in the propane business and we bought some pink stuff called Low Temp leak detector in gallon jugs. It really worked good and was thinner than the store bought stuff. My mechanic at the time would buy it from me as he said it was the best he ever found for finding leaks. You could also pick up some stuff that goes in the AC system and then is detected with a black light. It is available at most retailers for car stuff.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 140 times

Postby RickP » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 pm

hessmess wrote:I like the tank set up. My brother is in the garage door business. I am going to tap him for some struts and bolts. I read your comments on finding the AC leak, I'd go to the hardware store and buy some leak detector for gas piping. It is way better than water or like some window cleaner. If it is really slow it may take a day to show up but it will show itself. I used to be in the propane business and we bought some pink stuff called Low Temp leak detector in gallon jugs. It really worked good and was thinner than the store bought stuff. My mechanic at the time would buy it from me as he said it was the best he ever found for finding leaks. You could also pick up some stuff that goes in the AC system and then is detected with a black light. It is available at most retailers for car stuff.

I used an oil that had dye it it and like an idiot, I used the same oil to lube the o-rings when I reassembled the system and every fitting has dye on it. :)
RickP
Mud King

Postby hessmess » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 pm

:cussing: Well, that's an Oh Crap!
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Looks good. Do you plan to come up with a skid plate for the tanks? I'd be a little anxious hitting the trail without some protection. Clean install though!
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby RickP » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 pm

paulevans76 wrote:Looks good. Do you plan to come up with a skid plate for the tanks? I'd be a little anxious hitting the trail without some protection. Clean install though!

Yes, I've got some large 1/4" aluminum plates I bought at a scrap yard a couple years ago and I plan on making some skid plates for the Trooper.
RickP
Mud King

Postby hessmess » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:41 am

Really no reason to skid plate the tanks, they are well above the driveline where they are bolted up. Dave in Wyoming has this same set up and hammers his Trooper every year at Moab and has never had an issue with the tanks... Lots of issues on other points.
88 Trooper (recycled)
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 pm

hessmess wrote:Really no reason to skid plate the tanks, they are well above the driveline where they are bolted up. Dave in Wyoming has this same set up and hammers his Trooper every year at Moab and has never had an issue with the tanks... Lots of issues on other points.

Well, that's your opinion :D You're right, it's up above the chassis, so it's probably ok. Personally, I've managed to catch rocks and various trail debris pretty much everywhere you can think of. But then again, my talent pool may just be a little shallower :mrgreen:
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby RickP » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I haven't got to installing a compressor yet. I did install a RV dome light in the cargo area. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106457

Today I installed badly needed shocks. Monroe has a rebate deal going on, so I took advantage of it and bought some Monroe OE Spectrums. I was surprised to see Isuzu shocks in the rear. Must be the 30 year old shocks. Three were totally blown and the front right still had a little dampening left in it. It rides much better. The new shocks are more beefier than the ones I took off, but I did notice the ones I took of the front were almost an inch longer fully extended.

Chichi was supervising and making sure I did a good job.

RickP
Mud King

Postby gruff54 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Hey! A Gen I rear cargo cover. Cool Beans!! I've had one for several years, just never got around to installing it. If my Trooper was in town more, I could use it more. But it's my farm vehicle and rarely gets into town, and when it does I have too much stuff in the back to cover it. Maybe one of these days I'll get a second one for my "Go to town" truck. Oh yeah, that light is nice. Looks like a lot more light than the stocker.

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd

For this post the author gruff54 was thanked by:
RickP
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 56 times

Previous

Return to Member's Rides