Coil/Radius arm SAS 1st gen Trooper - fine tuning/new mods

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Coil/Radius arm SAS 1st gen Trooper - fine tuning/new mo

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:43 pm

I can confirm that a 3.4 with attached MUA5, will in fact go into the rig as one unit. In my cramped garage, with the hoist only able to straddle the pass front tire, armed with nothing but a floor jack to catch the rear output, and an old serp belt to act as a tag line, I slowly lowered, repositioned, pulled, pushed, yanked and cranked, and I got that sumbeech on the motor mount pads and ready to be bolted down.

In the words of the great Clark W. Griswold: "Hallelujah!!...Holy sh*t!" :D
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs

For this post the author paulevans76 was thanked by:
lorenzo816
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 81 times

Sponsor

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Nothing too exciting, just checking stuff off the list:
Checked/torqued head bolts and adjusted the rocker arms/valves.

So got about 100 other things left to do but we're getting there.
Last edited by paulevans76 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Does the body mount bolt go up into a threaded boss ? Everything's looking nice a clean and ready !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:12 pm

bradzuzu wrote:Does the body mount bolt go up into a threaded boss ? Everything's looking nice a clean and ready !!

I don't think so, but I'd have to look back at it. I think the rear mounts have captive nuts, but the fronts IIRC are just a bolt up through the mounts to a nut. I need to resoak everything in PB blaster/kroil and take another stab at it. I'll need to drop the tank to clearance the body/floor crossmember thing above it, and also cut the rockers out for slider clearance as well. Ought to be a fun side project.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Went hardware shopping today for the shorter body mount bolts. Lowes had 5 of the 6 needed front standard bolts, and nothing close for the metric bolts for the back 4. So looks like I'll just order everything online.

Other progress - got the 4.3 TBI on and most of the harness positioned. I had to swap out a sensor connection on my harness from the donor (luckily the 3.4 I bought came with the engine harness still attached). I need to find a small bolt for the modified throttle linkage, since the 4.3 TBI linkage is a little different. It's rigged up for now, and with a little adjustment, it looks like I've got full throttle range of motion from the pedal.

Need to get heater hose and then I should be able to get everything hooked up where it goes.

Maybe I'll have a finished project by Christmas?? Surely I'll be doing burnouts before 2017...
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Swinging by napa on the way home to pick up all the heater and rad hoses, adapters, clamps, etc, as well as new fuel hose clamps. Also ordered up the hardware I'll need for the 1.5" BL.

For reference, for a 3" body lift, you could do all 10 bolts in the M10 x 1.25 x 180mm size (you need all 180mm for the front 6, but in the rear, 180mm is the maximum length you could use before running them into the floor - 160-170mm would work fine for the 4 rear if you find those easier/cheaper). Since the front 6 are not a captured nut style, they can be switched to standard 3/8" coarse or fine, 7" long.

In my case for the 1.5" BL, for the back 4, I measured the actual used length of the bolt (~6.25" or 160mm with the 3" BL mounts), did some math and I ended up ordering 130mm length bolts for those mounts, and 5.5" bolts for the front 6. Had to order them through Fastenal - couldn't find any bolts longer than 120mm in m10 x 1.25 anywhere else, and that's just a little too short I think.

Here's hoping I did my math correctly.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:21 pm

20161209_171236.jpg

Little bit of progress. Lots of new hoses, clamps, etc.

Put some oil in it earlier and found out the valve cover gasket on the pass side was jacked up, about a qt seeped out while I was filling it :lol: stuff happens! I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the valve cover gaskets again...I had to toss out the cork ones that were on it when I checked the head studs and rocker arms, put on the current rubber ones, but we'll just see how it goes when I get it running.

I need a few days to dedicate to it to really wrap it up, and hopefully that happens the next week or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:53 pm

I've had good luck with the rubber ones , maybe it just moved ... So it's all in and bolted up ?
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Yup. Just got all the piddly time consuming things left. Knockin em out this week, hope to get it cranked up this weekend and break the cam in.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby Aamir_bt » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 pm

great project thread! on the 3.4, i'm not sure how you are running your engine mounts up front, but normally they can unly use 2 of the 3 stock bolts to mount, and my first though was if that would be enough. after jumping my trooper, i found out that it wasn't. at least for the pressure put on by jumping haha. i am in the process of rigging up a mount that uses 4 bolt locations instead of just 2. just a thought, since you actually use it alot for off roading. i'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but it my be worth considering. also, i see you at least used to live in raleigh, if you're ever in the area feel free to hit me up, i'd love to see your ride!
'89 4-door trooper LS, 5-spd manual, 3.4L swapped
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS w/ 1.8L DOHC swap, 5-spd
loooong history with isuzu cars.
Aamir_bt
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:47 am

Aamir_bt wrote:great project thread! on the 3.4, i'm not sure how you are running your engine mounts up front, but normally they can unly use 2 of the 3 stock bolts to mount, and my first though was if that would be enough. after jumping my trooper, i found out that it wasn't. at least for the pressure put on by jumping haha. i am in the process of rigging up a mount that uses 4 bolt locations instead of just 2. just a thought, since you actually use it alot for off roading. i'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but it my be worth considering. also, i see you at least used to live in raleigh, if you're ever in the area feel free to hit me up, i'd love to see your ride!

I try not to catch air too often, but I am slightly concerned about the motor mount, long-term. I actually still need to finish cussing at and prying the damn pass side mount over to line up the holes between the mount and the frame plate. Talk about a pain. Not sure if it's normal or because they are just cheap replacements or what.

Anyway, I think that when I get around to installing the dual case project next year, I'll build some heavier-duty tube/poly bushing mounts and eliminate the stock style mounts all together. Probably take something like these: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/cat ... EMKIT.html and weld 'em to a plate bolted to the block using as many bolt-locations as possible/practical. Hopefully it will hold up until then.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Feckin' frick. The tensioner on the 3.4 is wrong. Gotta swap it out for the one on the 2.8. I knew the pulley was wrong (grooved instead of smooth) but it is in the wrong position and tensions to the wrong side. And they attach with a fricking torx bolt and I don't have the right size bit. God I hate the little show stoppers like this. Maybe I can snap the bolt off in the block or something fun like that while I'm at it :D
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Had to spend $15 to get a torx set, but I got the right size bit. Turns out you can loosen the tensioner and rotate it. So I got that done. Then I went about figuring if I had a belt that would work. New belt that came in my box o stuff w/ the engine was too long - it was for an engine using the AC, which I left off. So I found the old belt from the 2.8 and at first it was too short, just barely. Hmm. Then I did some measuring and research, trying to find a belt a little bit longer, but before I purchased, I came back and tried it again. Now it was just right -- maybe I had it over an edge of a pulley somewhere... But then I noticed I had routed it differently than shown in the manual. So next I routed the belt by the book, and it was too long!!! What the hell man!

So I made some sketches of the two different routings and it appears that either will work. Don't mind my 1337 MS Paint sk1llz (obv not to scale but the routing and general location gets the point across) :

belts.jpg

I wanted to make sure that everything was still going to turn the correct direction. The book has it the top iteration there. The bottom is what will work with my 60947 belt, the top would probably take a 60930 or something like that. I'm not sure if one is much better than the other. :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Looked closer at the alternator that came with the engine package, and it's a 130 amp unit from a "newer" GM v8. So I swapped it on using instructions from this thread and everything looks like it will work with the original belt - even utilizing the "by the book" belt routing - after clocking the tensioner a bit clockwise.

Also rigged up a ratchet strap and got the last bolt in the engine mount. Was going to try to get some more of the wiring and ground connections out of the way, but many of you know how life with little ones can be. Something always comes up once you start really cooking in the garage :lol:

Maybe this week will be the week I get this sucker done!!! Let's all hope :D
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:31 am

lorenzo816 wrote::drunken:
Hey Paul how in the heck do you know (and be positive) which way each pulley rotates?!
stupid question but swapping belts aint my speciality

I just went by what the FSM laid out, then checked to see if the other routing would turn the pulleys in the same direction, and finally - always cross my fingers hope for the best :mrgreen:

With the bigger alt, the only routing that would work for me was the factory routing, so all should be good!

BTW, I was mega jealous seeing video of you out at Uwharrie. I need to get my pile together! Dying to get back out there.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby lorenzo816 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Oh ok, so you had a standard diagram for the 3.4 or 2.8 and matched up the rotation.
Duh (lightbulb)

Yea was fun going out last day. Weird though there was like only 5 people in the woods.
Figured there be more on the last day of the season, but URE... schmoowharrie
I want you to come wheel the Flats!
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
MY Pictures and Videos and Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
Uwharrie was my backyard - PM me if you need anything
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 52 times

Postby paulevans76 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 pm

I'm down as soon as I have everything broken in.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 am

After some help from The Great Ed Mc., I have the wiring mostly buttoned up. Rad mounted, upper hose on, although a little stretched from leaving it in the stock location with the dumb 3" body lift. Hopefully after cutting it down to 1.5" it will be a little better. A few other hoses to attach, vacuum lines, air cleaner, clutch slave cyl., exhaust, fluids, bleeds, prime'r up and check distributor and it'll be go time.

VZM.IMG_20161221_181812.jpg
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby lorenzo816 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:57 pm

when's the BL coming out?
reroute the exhaust yet?
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm going to get the BL done once I have the engine taken care of. I have the hardware sorted, just need to cut the pucks and massage a few things under the cargo areas floor to fit the gas tank. Oh and cut the rockers out to fit the sliders, etc, etc.

As far as the exhaust goes, I really just need to get it mostly rigged up to keep it quiet while I set timing and break in the cam, and then I'll take it to a shop to have a new system bent up. Probably go with the Ed Mc. special - custom down pipes to 2 in 1 out cat and 2.25 or 2.5" back from there.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 pm

All I got done all holiday "break" was putting a new boot and rod in the stinkin' slave cylinder and installed it, which gave me pure hell. Hoping for a few solid days of tinkering in the near future. Missing out on lots of wheelin'.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 am

I had noticed that the radiator seemed to be sitting up a little high, and my replacement coolant hose seemed to be a little stretched, and I sorta just wanted to see if I could lower it an inch or so - there appeared to be holes to allow it in the radiator mounting tabs. When I cut the body lift in half, that would help too, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't using the wrong holes and my hood wouldn't close or something.

So anyway, I'm wrestling with the rad and I get a bolt in on side, but I cannot get it to sit flush on the other end. And then I realize it's contacting the f**king steering box! Since the box was moved forward during the SAS, which took place after the body lift, it's right under the corner of the rad. It's all a big ol' clusterfudge situation. I hate this freaking body lift so much. I need to inspect further, but right no it looks like I may need to leave it alone until I'm ready to deal with a lot more than just clearance for the rockers and fuel tank. UGH.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby lorenzo816 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:39 am

Cant cut it and move it over a bit?

I was just wondering how you were doing on this.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby paulevans76 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

lorenzo816 wrote:Cant cut it and move it over a bit?

I was just wondering how you were doing on this.

I could probably use some strap and move the mounts over enough to clear it, but it would only be a band-aid. It would potentially require some new hoses on the PS cooler and stuff but we'll see. I'll have to do some measuring to see if it would still allow me to drop the BL down to 1.5" though.

edit: When I only have an hr or 2 to tinker once or twice a week, it's things like this that cause the project to slip so far behind schedule. I wanna go wheelin'!
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Got a little done today:

Primed the oil system, popped the dizzy in, finished a little wiring, spark plugs + wires, etc, but didn't have enough juice in the battery to make anything happen :lol: Oh the little things. It's on the trickle charger so I should be able to see if she'll fire up tomorrow maybe. Then I'll get the exhaust on, bleed a few systems, and she'll be ready to set the timing and break the cam in.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides