Coil/Radius arm SAS 1st gen Trooper - fine tuning/new mods

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Coil SAS 1st gen Trooper - fine tuning and new mods

Postby chuffer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 pm

You don't like the Birddog wheels or what?

Bumper looks good!
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 106 times

Sponsor

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:48 am

totten wrote:Nice bumper setup,looks great. That a large brace on rearend,i bet that's strong. Love the way Trooper is sitting height level. Thanks for pics.

Thanks totten!

chuffer wrote:You don't like the Birddog wheels or what?

Bumper looks good!

The birddogs are great, I love their functionality. The new wheels are part of the tire release event thing. The General/Continental tire people are slapping the tires on a set of wheels provided by ATD. The actual wheels they are giving me aren't really something I'd choose, but hey, free, so...
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 77 times

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Something was telling me that there was no way my wheels and tires were going to be ready when they were supposed to. I have a 6th sense for this type of thing, and it didn't let me down. I arrived at the tire shop at the agreed upon time, and they told me my wheels and tires were ready to be picked up. I pulled around back to see 5 wheel boxes and 5 unmounted tires. So I'll be going back again in the morning to pick them up :blackeye:

While I was out, I picked up a 45* turn down to move my exhaust tip and keep it from melting any more paint off my bumper :lol:
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Get ready for the bling...

slightly different aesthetic:

yeahhh boyeee!

Took it down the street and back and it's much smoother. The tread is nice n deep, and softer than the older, worn pitbulls. Measuring from a level to the ground, the Pitbulls were 36" even, and the Grabber X3's were 34.25". I didn't measure them width-wise, but I'd assume each would be slightly bigger, but a similar difference. So, a pretty decent sized 35. I can't wait to sell the wheels! :lol:

Letting an exhaust patch cure and then I'll take it out for a real spin. I'm thinking that it will be a bit smoother. Also did a bit of touch up paint here and there, so it looks decent from a distance, but I didn't get a shot before doing all the image uploads so we'll show that next time. Gotta get packed up for Uwharrie!

For this post the author paulevans76 was thanked by:
lorenzo816
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Boy these tires are sooo much better on the road. I got them up to 80 and the noise was fine. I mean, the wind noise was way worse, but it was super smooth for a mud tire.

So, I got to the Outpost a bit before 9, met up with some other folks on the ride. We were all running the 35x12.50/17. There were 4 or 5 JK's (surprise surprise), a full size diesel Ram with a sweet pop up in bed camper, and your's truly, the token beater. The first trail we hit is rocky mountain loop, heading right for the gnarliest section. The RAM can't make it that far up the trail, but they get some footage of it just kinda rolling through the trail.

I try tackling all the hardest lines, seeing how the tires do. They did fantastic. My rear shock mount, not so much. It was starting to break off the frame before the trip, and I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but eventually it broke free. Probably what all that noise was. A few times coming down some gnarly sections of trail, the damn thing cut off on me, and it was probably the busted shock and mount pushing on the fuel pump wiring. Eventually, it managed to pull a wire completely free and stopped me in my tracks. When I stopped to figure out what the trouble was, the pass side tire was stuffed and I couldn't see the broken shock. I thought it might have been the MSD coil again, but I wasn't getting fuel.

A JEEP towed me back to the outpost, for SHAME!!! how embarassing. I demanded no photos be taken :)

Once I got there, I saw that the mount was broken free from the frame and the wiring mess. Didn't turn out to be as bad as it looked. One wire in the plug, a little tape, badda boom badda bing, she's fired up and ready to roll.

I also had my exhaust break off of a mount after the muffler, and it was rattling on the frame. Good ol' baling wire to the rescue!

The pics sorta show the progression of events. Drove home fine, no worries. Although I did forget to air back up! 3 out of 4 shocks and 15 psi was a pretty soft ride! Also my shocks must be pure ---- now since I couldn't tell much of a difference after pulling the busted one out.

Path forward is patch the frame, and re-cajigger the shock mounts and bumpstops. The shocks must have been bottoming out before the bumpstops came into play, which is why the mount was getting pushed off the frame.

pics:

THE HORROR:
I'm sure there are a few of us who have had the pleasure of laying in this gravel pit to tinker (at the Eldorado Outpost) :
Home sweet home:

If my rig ends up in some promo material (which was the point of all this) it will be worth the temporary inconveniences. And hell, free tires :)
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Sorry most of these are sorta boring for trail pictures, but I'll try to get some of the action shots from the General folks when I talk to them again.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby VXorado » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:27 am

That's awesome you got a free set of tires... they look pretty good too. I'm sure they ride much smoother than the Pitbulls.

Too bad it had to be a Jeep that pulled you out, oh the shame. :lol:
99 Vehicross- RADO's Off-Road Rig --- SOLD (now isuzuless) :cry:
SAS completed, endless mods ensue. THREAD

89 Trooper RS---- SOLD
The Scrapper. THREAD
VXorado
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Man, it's absolutely no comparison. Gonna pop the Generals onto the Birddog wheels and sell the Gear alloys and PBRs. I really wanted to go to a 38"+ tire but this will save me huge wads of cash by putting off the rear axle upgrade and hydro assist. Still need more power and more reduction, but those things are a little more tolerable on 35's. Any my speedo is dead-nuts on the money now.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:24 pm

Here are some of the action shots from the General Tire shoot.

Brakes are on in this one because my shock has ripped free and snagged the fuel pump wiring and I'm trying to get the damn thing started again without going out of control :D

Video with a few quick trooper cameos at :22 and :35
Watch on youtube.com

Aaaand a short one of just good ol' trooper sexiness:
Watch on youtube.com

Pretty rad! I hope it ends up in some ads. Keep your eyes peeled for the ol' Troop when they release the tire in the fall.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

Here are the "official" video links from General's youtube page:

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

They have a few other short videos from the other drivers as well.

For this post the author paulevans76 was thanked by:
lorenzo816
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby humming » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:34 am

very cool videos!
1990 4runner - totaled
1991 4runner - sold
2005 mazdaspeed miata - sold
1973 datsun 240Z - perpetual project
1997 Trooper: http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87699
humming
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:02 am

I'll check the videos later but looked like a great trip and well worth the damage and shame lol

General grabber or genital grabbers , that's what my dirty mind transforms that name to :)

Ps I like the bling !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 360 times

Postby VXorado » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 am

Dude, your Troop looks awesome in those promo photos! :D
99 Vehicross- RADO's Off-Road Rig --- SOLD (now isuzuless) :cry:
SAS completed, endless mods ensue. THREAD

89 Trooper RS---- SOLD
The Scrapper. THREAD
VXorado
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks, thanks. A nice camera makes a difference I guess! And Brad: :lol:

FInally "finished" the winch mounting. Ended up cutting a lot out of the lower valence between the grill and bumper around the winch when trying to install everything, but then I could fit most of it back on there when everything was in place and bolted down. So the ghetto gorilla tape will do until I get the welder or another valence piece.

Also had to cut a chunk right out of the middle of the bumper, which doesn't look fantastic, but marginally better when I painted everything the same color. I will try to tie everything back together when the welder shows up.

I'm gonna have to cut a bunch out of the bottom of the valence when I cut the body lift down, so I'll get it how I like it then. This'll do for now.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby chuffer » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Could you avoid a lot of the lower valence chopping by mounting the solenoid pack under the hood?

FWIW, the entire center sectino of my valence is long gone...and the orginal core support...and the middle of the grill. The winch is more important than a little sheet metal.

Oh, yeah: gorilla taping sheet metal back together? That is some royal-deluxe level booty fab.
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 106 times

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:00 pm

chuffer wrote:Could you avoid a lot of the lower valence chopping by mounting the solenoid pack under the hood?

FWIW, the entire center sectino of my valence is long gone...and the orginal core support...and the middle of the grill. The winch is more important than a little sheet metal.

Oh, yeah: gorilla taping sheet metal back together? That is some royal-deluxe level booty fab.

Hey now, there's a bolt in there too! But, yeah it really is the booty of the bootay :mrgreen: That stuff has held together many a more important thing than a lil ol' sheet metal. But it'll do for mock up until I can get my metal-gluer from my buddy

Here's a frontsie:

edit: I may eventually move the solenoid pack but I have to relocate a bunch of other ---- under the hood when I de-body lift it, so I'll save all the fun for one go.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Instafamous!
I got the lucky #666th like :twisted:
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby AustinT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm

I love how that front bumper looks. I was thinking about ditching my ARB for one of that flavor. I like!
AustinT
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby beto » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:57 pm

Awesome pics and videos man! The trooper is looking great on the tire promo. The winch bumper looks nice and practical.
2002 Trooper, 3.1 Turbo Diesel Intercooled
Front Aussie Locker // OME 919´s // Daystar 1.5" spring spacers // Pro Comp ES9000´s // ARB Bumper // 12,000lb Winch w. Synthetic Rope // BFG KM2 255.85.16 on Snowflakes
Lifetime Led Headlights // RigidIndustries Dually D2´s // Aisin Hubs // 4 LED Roof Spot Lights // OEM Yakima Roof Racks // Airtec Snorkel // K&N Filter
video // video // 12/2010 ROTM
beto
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:44 pm

Now you're just showing off !!

So far everything looks great , forget about Chris and his booty fap lol

I did my best to get him hung up on a big log last weekend :)

I've got a tree pic similar to yours and crazy enough I just upgraded my tires to toyo's (hit something on the freeway Tuesday morning doing 70mph)...
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 360 times

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:26 pm

AustinT wrote:I love how that front bumper looks. I was thinking about ditching my ARB for one of that flavor. I like!

Thanks. I'd love to have a classic ARB, but I'm not lucky enough to one of the dozen ever made for the old troopers. Plus it would probably end up mangled on my rig. This one is functional and will do what it needs to.

beto wrote:Awesome pics and videos man! The trooper is looking great on the tire promo. The winch bumper looks nice and practical.

Thanks beto. It gets the job done!

bradzuzu wrote:...I just upgraded my tires to toyo's...

I hope those toyo's work out for ya, they seem to have a good reputation. And I saw how you did him with your spotting skills in the other thread haha.

I just ordered up a set of Bilstein's for the ol' trooper to replace the decade old procomp 9000's on the front and the remaining 3000 series on the back. I really debated going with OME's as I have had and loved them in the past, but they are all at least $99 per shock with no deals I could find on anything that would work for my set up. Bilsteins and OME are typically the go-to mid-range performance shock. Don't really need a tuned radflo/SAW/king or resevoir setup at over 2 bills a corner. Not doing king of hammers or any desert or racing, so after looking around I went with Bilstein 5100/5125 series 12" travel up front and 11" in the back, both with the firmer but not firmest valving (255/70). I got the best deal I could find online for them from streetsideauto.com at a hair under 70 per shock. They typically range from 79-99 per shock, and street side had free ground shipping to boot. AND they shipped out the same day. Not too shabby.

Also gotta order some more bumpstops for the back. Would like to get another soft progressive bump to use out back because they are so awesome in the front. I have the stock hard plastic ones in the stock position doing nothing right now, so I'll have to rig together an extension off of the frame mount, or build a "landing pad" off of the u-bolt plate.

I should be able to get it all done when I go pick up my hot metal gluer next weekend. After I get this hog aligned and get all that done it's gonna handle like a whole new truck.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Got the wheels switched out. I've got more confidence in the birddogs to hold the beads at low pressure and I'm not scared to beat and scrape the hell out of them.
IMG_20160725_173836.jpg

-1 bling, +2 function

New rear bumpstops are on the way.

Not cool: clutch slippity dippity when i was pulling out of the neighborhood. It was uphill and cranked hard to the right. I think the Detroit was engaged and clutch < tire grip, i.e. rather than break tires loose, clutch slipped. Hopefully just a one off occurence and I can make the long trip this weekend.

If it gives me more crap then I guess 3.4 swap will finally begin. Definitely not pulling the trans out twice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:15 pm

Picked up this little gem for little more than a song. Well, a long uncomfortable drive (about 650 miles total) and a couple bucks. Long time buddy bought it from a guy at his work for $60. I think it goes for around 4-5 times as much new.

Also grabbed these from my buddy who borrowed them for a little while on his 4 runner (they are the overload and extra capacity leaves from my OME spring packs).

Gonna pop the extra capacity leaf back on mine to compensate for the rear bumper/carrier.

The welder is a wire feed only, no bottle, but that's all I really need and want to deal with in the garage at this point. I did a little practicing and after a couple boogers I laid down a couple ok beads. Not bad for being out of practice. There's a mig conversion available, so I can always start fiddling with it if I outgrow it's current state. Just gonna do thinner <3/16" stuff with it anyway, so i should be ok.

My buddy did the hard parts of re-welding the shock mount that had ripped off (using his 220volt MIG set up) so I rode home on 4 shocks, talk about luxury!

Also, after this trip, I've decided to put my old seats back in the trooper and sell the Corbeau's. I'm just too big for them. Even if I lost 25-30 lb I'd still be too structurally large for them. I thought maybe over time we'd break each other in, but it's not happening - the steel frame is not going to move, and my bones are where they are :lol: I'll need the wide-load versions if I get another set of suspension seats. For now, the stockers will do. I'll swap the pass n driver sides on their frames to hide the rip on the old driver side and see how that goes for a while.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Getting ready for the Great Seat Swap-Back of 2016. Figured out how to swap the seat cushions around on the frames so that the old passenger seat bottom is now the driver. And the old ripped driver seat bottom is now on the passenger side, and the rip will be against the console. Not a difficult job at all. I'll pull the Corbeau's and pop the old stockers back in tomorrow.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 am

Fall projects:

- 3.4 swap
- New flywheel and clutch kit
- Dual cases

Currently getting the garage ready. Bought some dollies to go under the rotors to fit the rig in the garage and hopefully allow the hoist and engine to clear the engine bay. Picking up an auto case from Lorenzo and looking for a donor 4l30e tcase adapter. I'll get the trans and cases prepped for surgery, and hire a professional to do the welding.

The new rear case I believe will be a 2.05:1, so I'll have some great options between the front revo geared case and that. Good trail gear, good sand/snow gear, good low and super low ratio options.

Thinking of leaving the front case in its own oil, i.e., not drilling holes to share oil. I will try to only cut what is necessary from the output, saving whatever capacity I can, and run a high quality, high temp oil. If it gets roasted, it's only a quart or so to replace, rather than whatever it would be if I drilled holes to share oil. Don't really want to worry about a pump and cooler at this stage, as it would add more crap to go wrong. If I eventually need it, it could be addressed then.

If things go smoothly and quickly (yeah right) I'm going to try and get the body lift cut down to 1.5"ish. Biggest obstacles are:

- clearancing the body crossmember above the gas tank (BF Hammer time!)
- cutting off and rejiggering the rock sliders since they are right up against the rocker panels (a big pain but not impossible)
- steering shaft adjustment
- shifters adjustments

As bad as I want the body lift reduction, it isn't the top priority for this phase, but good God one of these days it needs to happen.

More to come as things progress.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides