Coil/Radius arm SAS 1st gen Trooper - fine tuning/new mods

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Coil/Radius arm SAS 1st gen Trooper - fine tuning/new mo

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:33 am

Finally had a chance to listen to the vid , it sounds like it's trying ... it also sounds like it's making decent compression , was that before or after the timing change Paul ?
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Sponsor

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 pm

That was a few weeks back, and everything is pretty much the same now as it was then. I monkeyed with the timing to try and adjust it, but at this point it's back to where it was there, and I also lightened up on the rocker arm torque. I plan to work on it a bit this evening - get the starter bolt helicoiled and the starter from the old engine mounted up - and then we will see if there's any improvement. I'll take a video when I get a chance to try to turn it over again.
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 81 times

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Finally got a couple mins to pull the plugs and put a small amount of oil in the cylinders. Just in case they were washed out. I noticed that on my no. 4 plug, I had managed to take a little bit of the stinkin' remflex exhaust gasket in with the plug, so there was a bunch of gunk in the hole to clean up/out. Gonna get the starter crap done tomorrow. Really running out of steam on this whole thing with the lack of time and the lack of noticeable progress. I feel like every time I tinker on it, I notice about 8 more hours of work that needs to be done after the big stuff is out of the way.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby chuffer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:29 pm

paulevans76 wrote:Finally got a couple mins to pull the plugs and put a small amount of oil in the cylinders. Just in case they were washed out. I noticed that on my no. 4 plug, I had managed to take a little bit of the stinkin' remflex exhaust gasket in with the plug, so there was a bunch of gunk in the hole to clean up/out. Gonna get the starter crap done tomorrow. Really running out of steam on this whole thing with the lack of time and the lack of noticeable progress. I feel like every time I tinker on it, I notice about 8 more hours of work that needs to be done after the big stuff is out of the way.

"It's the journey; not the destination."

My wife needs to remind me every now and then that is a hobby that I chose...so, I should enjoy the challenges instead of throwing tools and scaring the dogs. :alien:
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - made by my Wife - Now Shipping!
LIfe in Amerika - My Blog
1988 Isuzu Trooper 2.6l 5-spd aka "stinky"
2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "boroboro-kun"
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 pm

The parts of the hobby I really enjoy are the actual wheelin', the designing and figuring out the build, the parts, etc that will make the rig do what I want it to do - the wrenching is a necessary sub-hobby that doesn't provide quite the same satisfaction. It's much more fun though when it's with one of my brothers and/or friends. But I'm mostly flying solo here. And until I'm pullin' in the big bucks, I can't hire much of it out. My wife is getting as sick of the tinkering as I am.

Whenever I get into one of these wrench-related funks, it seems like it's a series of issues that end up being more expensive and time consuming and worst of all: necessary.

Part infinity of the never ending 3.4 swap:

Got started on the heli-coil for the starter bolt. Had to remove the slave cylinder to make room, just unbolt and move out of the way. Still, it's extremely difficult to tell if I'm getting at the hole straight on. Long story short, I snap off the tip of the 13/32 bit I needed to use for the thread insert. I use a thin round file to smack the broken piece up out of the way, sorta...

So, side-bar - what it looks like is going on, is up in the starter bolt hole, at the end of the hole, it reduces to a smaller hole. I believe that this is what was flattening threads on my starter bolts prior. And I believe that this is what the drill bit caught when it snapped.

Moving on, I managed to use the rest of the bit to open up the hole a little, I guess? it's unclear. I however could not get the tap to do diddly, because I couldn't keep it straight from underneath. So it's kinda ruined I think. Can't tap, which means can't install the insert, which means can't install bolt. This whole thing is FUBAR, it seems.

At this point I'm looking for something to throw. I'm contemplating the 700r4 swap just to put a starter on the other side of the block. But I cool off, and then figure that I'll try mounting the old starter and run the long bolt in to see if there's any resistance, i.e., see if I can get another tap or if I need to get another drill bit as well...

I'll be damned! The sucker ran right up in there and torqued down better than ever, at least 30ft lb! Screw it, let's see what happens! :drunken:

I get it buttoned up, hook up the freshly charged battery, turn the key -- and mind you, the plugs are still out -- and she's turning over fast as heck! Valve train moving like a player piano, fuel coming out of the tbi. Good sign! I pop the plugs in, attach wires, moment of truth:

De nada!!! :evil:

Watch on youtube.com

Back to looking at the timing...that will have to be tomorrow at best.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:26 am

Hey I heard that !!! Lol

I'm sorry Paul , it sounds really close , I could hear popping , try regarding the timing some now and I bet it'll lite up ..

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Aw snap!

https://youtu.be/sfY7TzEMp6I

Trying to dial in the timing but after this try the battery needed a recharge. Gonna hit it again a bit later to see if it will run, and if so, I'm going to button everything back up, put the exhaust on and get it ready for break in!
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:26 pm

That's exciting to hear it finally run !!!

Did you end up retarding the timing a bit ?

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Watch on youtube.com

Sweeeet
Yah Brad I basically fully retarded it, then worked my way in the other direction. Got a lot of reattaching things to do, but this alleviates a lot of stress! Couple more weeks and I'm gonna be driving this hog again :mrgreen:
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby lorenzo816 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Sounds nice. Should keep it wide open. LOL

I agree with your sub-hobby comment. I had a helluva time discussing how to build mine and improvise this or that but its the tinkering things that take hours then days that get the misses mad and confused as to why we even bother with the torture... ahem cough cough I mean wrenching.

Paul
Think you'll have it done by April 7th?
Gotta club ride at the Flats.
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
MY Pictures and Videos and Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
Uwharrie was my backyard - PM me if you need anything
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 52 times

Postby chuffer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Good for you.

To be clear, I am not saying that I enjoyed chasing damned ping in my last motor or that I am currently enjoying the fact that my effing new motor still leaks after eleventy brazilian attempts to seal it up. I am just trying to saying that it is all self-inflicted...and I find that reminding myself that it's a choice helps...sometimes...throwing wrenches and kicking stuff helps sometimes too...
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - made by my Wife - Now Shipping!
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I got ya for sure, loud and clear Chris. I know I'm the one who took a one time clutch slip and turned it into a full on engine swap and then some :D

Lorenzo, I hope to have it ready by then, but I've got a couple highland games I'm competing at in early April, so I think the zu ride will be my season opener if it's ready. My club has a ride a month, roughly, but I would like to make it out to the flats with ya at some point.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 am

Status update:

Larger high amp alternator will fit fine, but the brace that attaches from the exhaust manifold to one of the alt mounts and the alt itself will not work on the larger unit (there's no mounting provision for it on the unit, and the brace needs to be modified to not interfere with the mounting of the unit itself). Swapped back to the smaller alt for now, but will revisit at a later time. I'm thinking that I'll adjust the brace to work and use the higher amp alternator at the same time as I upgrade to an electric fan and do all that sort of stuff at the same time.

Swapped to the old tensioner I had on there as well. Old size belt should work fine now.

Re-ran all the vacuum lines. Used good old stuff and new stuff to try and simplify and to get around the fact that the 4.3 TBI I have has one less vacuum port than the old one did. Didn't feel like drilling a new one, even though that is an option if I end up needing to do that.

Mounted the throttle cable on the throttle arm that swings in the wrong direction on the 4.3 unit - instead of attaching to the upper stud, I used the lower stud. Found the correct sized bolt and nylock nut, and with a couple washers it worked well and doesn't hang up. I'll probably run the hand throttle cable to the upper stud pulling in the other direction, whenever I get around to that.

Got the exhaust down pipes mounted and the rest of the old system ready for install, but was missing the nuts for the "tension" bolts that attach them to the "Y" pipe, so gotta pick those up to finish that mess.

Rear bumpstop pedestal/pads need to be burned in and and bumps need to bolted on.

Then it's just torqueing a few things, filling, bleeding, break cam in, set timing, roll out. I need to grease my RCV's and check the wheel bearings, and also install a delrin TRE boot (dead spot "fix") on the draglink-tie rod connection. Hopefully that helps bandaid/slightly improve the dead spot in my steering. I'd like to get that done for a break-in road trip to see a wheelin' buddy back east who has also spent the past year in tinker-mode.

Running a little close to opening of wheelin' season, so I may need to put off the body lift reduction until summer. There's a lot of cutting, welding, tank dropping and re-installing, etc that will need to occur, so as much as I want to do it, the priority remains getting the trooper back on the road and the engine broken in and ready for some April/May rides.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby chuffer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just your mind playing tricks on you here in the dark?

paulevans76 wrote:Status update:

...and also install a delrin TRE boot (dead spot "fix") on the draglink-tie rod connection. Hopefully that helps bandaid/slightly improve the dead spot in my steering. I'd like to get that done for a break-in road trip to see a wheelin' buddy back east who has also spent the past year in tinker-mode.

Are you running one of those "Y-type" setups where the drag-link mounts to the tie-rod? With the radius-arm set-up you should have plenty of room to run cross-over steering, no?
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby paulevans76 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm basking in the light! Just need to keep up the momentum heading toward it.

And yeah, I'm running that Y-type deal. I'd lose a bit of up-travel running the drag link all the way to the steering arm, and also I'm not sure my current arms have the seperate TR/DL provisions. Right now my draglink/panhard geometry is spot on, so any changes would cascade to 3-4 other adjustments (some combo of new steering arms, new panhard mount(s), more frame notching, etc) to get everything right geometry-wise. Everything "works" as is, so I'm hoping this will help to bandaid it to get a little bit better road feel and stave off big design changes until I can't stand it anymore.

I also got a deal on a hydro assist ram recently from one of the guys in my club , and I'm looking at getting a box to send out to West Texas Offroad to have them tap it. That will probably be a part of the summer mods, depending on how it feels wheeling with the 35's in some of the gnarlier areas I plan to go this spring. I may wait until they are worn out and I go back to a 37-38.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:09 am

So your tierod's rolling in you ? I showed Chris a quick truck for that since we didn't have the solid rubber seal (only had the boot type) , I cut a piece of hard rubber from a mudflap (thick truck one) and drilled a hole through it and that kept the tierod from twisting ...

I'm glad you've got your momentum going , can't wait to see some new vids !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 am

I think that is part of the problem. The delrin boot thingy I have is from ruffstuff and basically does the same thing your mudflap trick would do: The Cure!

Basically I have this weird dead spot in my steering where it will be sorta pulling to one side and then I'll move the wheel over bit by bit to the other side and nothing happens as soon as you think it should and then all of the sudden it's sorta pulling that way, and it goes back and forth. It's not crazy, but it's noticeable, especially on the crappier roads around here. I'm probably going to take it up the street for an alignment and do the delrin insert at the same time. Get stuff as straight as I can get it.

There may have some slop in the box as well, but since I'll be grabbing a fresh or to-be-freshened box for WTO to use for the hydro assist, that should fix anything there if there are any problems in the box.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby lorenzo816 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 am

Hey you sure that aint the anti-wrap bar in the rear causing the feeling of the dead spot?
Miy steering was super stiff exactly as you mention and was scarey to drive until I got the bushing broken in and greased up real well.
It would have rear steer kinda bump steer effect when going over uneven pavement or when getting blown by semi trucks. Also had the dead spot like you're talking about but that's because the anti-wrap bar in the rear didn't want to give at all.

Try regreasing the bushings in the anti-wrap bar in the rear and tighten back up with nylock nuts, that way the bolt can still swivle with the bushings.
I'm thinking thats your 'dead spot' cause my truck kinda still does it but 900x less than when we first put the anti-wrap bar on.
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 pm

I'll check it out, thanks homie!
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:11 pm

ARGH

Got everything buttoned up and was attempting to get it cranked up and running to get timing dialed in. Got it to crank - with some effort, and a lot of timing adjustments, but couldn't get it to stay running without being on the throttle. And it sounded like crap too. Like something wasn't right. Might have to adjust the friggin rockers again. God help me.

So then I went underneath because I forgot to plug in the O2 sensor, and there it is. A pool of oil right under the SOB. CRAP. Looks like it's coming from the rear main. Doesn't appear to be coming from the distributor, looks clean up there, and it's seeping from behind the dust cover, right at the bottom. I've got too much to do tomorrow to start yanking crap off again. This is depressing. Gotta Pull The Effin' Trans Again!!! Ain't got time for this!
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby lorenzo816 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Man.
:-(
Been there.
You wanna throw in the towel but can't and won't.

Keep at it.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm sorry bro that's a big setback , I think Ian had a cam plug that was leaking or do those have a cover with bolts ? Might pull the dizzy cap and see if it pump up with oil ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby chuffer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:06 am

Been there & done that too. Go do something else for a while. Throw a wrench or two, but don't kick any dogs. You'll get it.
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby hessmess » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:50 pm

The cam cover has the 3 bolts with the brass washers, but you still would have to pull the trans. Maybe you can get one of those snake thinks with a video on the end and slide it up there to see where the leak is.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 141 times

Postby paulevans76 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 am

hessmess wrote:The cam cover has the 3 bolts with the brass washers, but you still would have to pull the trans. Maybe you can get one of those snake thinks with a video on the end and slide it up there to see where the leak is.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, trying to get the name of the one my buddy recommended so I can order it today. And funny you mention the cam cover, because I was also suspicious of it. It had a bunch of rtv all around it and I was a little apprehensive about it, but I figured the guy I bought the engine from wouldn't have been too careless about it. I'm going to go through the manual and see what I can find on installation and whatnot.

I have next week to myself, so every day for 4hrs after work I'm going straight grease monkey. I will probably spend a few hrs this week just taking the exhaust and other stuff off and out of the way and getting the stage set.

I was hoping to have more than a week or so to get her broken in before Uwharrie, but now I'm just hoping I'll be able to take it there at all.
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides