1990 Trooper Refresh Project

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 1990 Trooper Refresh Project

Postby wmorrisiii » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:07 am

This is very cool! I still think the Vermont Overland would be a great one to do based on the guys write up who did it in a stock Trooper a few years ago. Best part was he outdid a lot of built up off road rigs and finished well.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 171 times

Sponsor

Postby chuffer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:06 pm

Interesting. I am finally finding the time to start working on poor old Stinky again. The hand throttle has been on my list for a while.

I am also very curious about the Nankang long term review. I love my BFG KM2s and my KO2s, but the price of keeping them on two trucks guts me...

How tall are those tires when mounted?
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - made by my Wife - Now Shipping!
LIfe in Amerika - My Blog
1988 Isuzu Trooper 2.6l 5-spd aka "stinky"
2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "boroboro-kun"
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:16 pm

chuffer wrote:I am also very curious about the Nankang long term review. I love my BFG KM2s and my KO2s, but the price of keeping them on two trucks guts me...

How tall are those tires when mounted?

They're just over 31" from what my eyes can tell. I too am interested to see if they have longevity, but for the time being they are phenomenal!

Despite some concern, the wonky little guy couldn't have performed better on trip last weekend that included 200 miles off-pavement and 800 miles total, here is a link to a trip report in the event anyone is interested in reading through it:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93393&p=814537

And here's a five minute video that captures the experience:

Watch on youtube.com

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:55 am

800 miles in a weekend ?!? Damn dude that's allot of seat time !! Looks like you're getting your money's worth and finally enjoying the outdoors however you want and in style !!

The video was great , I love seeing country and trails with you guys on them ... I think half or three quarters of the way through the video a trail had oil leaked on it (dark streak) I was worried it was the guys Toyota leaking , I'm sure someone had a bad day over that ..

Thanks for the video !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:59 pm

bradzuzu wrote:I think half or three quarters of the way through the video a trail had oil leaked on it (dark streak) I was worried it was the guys Toyota leaking , I'm sure someone had a bad day over that ..

You noticed?! LOL!! Yes, that was the result of a local who was apparently so drunk he could barely stand up, he went bombing up the road/trail in a completely stock Chevy S-10 and ripped his oil pan open. :shock: When we passed him he was slumped over the wheel, we saw the truck the next morning out on one of the more main roads so someone I assume dragged him out. Here's a short video clip of the sight:

Watch on youtube.com

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Yeah I watched several of the videos (they linked together on YouTube) , all of which where great quality of hd... I laughed when you squeezed past all those guys and there trucks and took off , I could tell you didn't want anything to do with them .. Probly good cause to get out of there ..

Where on those other runs with the jeep's and toyota?

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:40 pm

Awesome Jon! As much as you are "getting out" with yours, I think you are the "King of the Offroaders" on here. Who'd of thunk it? Great job, great video. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
shaggydoink
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 606 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:42 pm

I've said this many times before I think, but I've been really lucky to have had such long spells with this old truck without any big headaches. I finally hit one, though, high and repeating surges of the idle which I know are not uncommon with this 2.6L engine. I've fussed with it for a couple hours now and it's still a problem, posting up to see what suggestions everyone has. Here's what I've done thus far:

Replaced the air filter which was packed with dust from the GA trip :shock: and no change.

Removed and cleaned the entire throttle body which was pretty filthy:

This interestingly enough seemed to make the problem worse. :roll:

Sprayed PB Blaster down the large vacuum line that leads down to the air regulator and let it sit overnight per a post I found from Mario, no change.

Noticed that if I pressed the throttle closed by hand just a touch it more or less got things under control, so cracked the throttle body back open and made sure it was perfectly clean and well lubricated - I also adjusted the throttle valve switch adjustment screw which helped lower the idle overall, but still basically no change, the idle wouldn't correct itself unless I manually pressed it closed a bit... which is where things stand now, here's a short video to illustrate - engine on, backed up a bit, then pulled back forward to get the idle to surge up:

Watch on youtube.com

The fact that if I press the throttle body a bit and it resolves the issue suggests my next step should be to try and swap it out (I've got a couple spares)... any other thoughts or opinions on the subject?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Try cracking the throttle and pushing the plate front to rear (with TB off truck). Does it move much? May have worn throttle plate - binds and causes...high idle. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:56 pm

DSUZU wrote:Try cracking the throttle and pushing the plate front to rear (with TB off truck). Does it move much? May have worn throttle plate - binds and causes...high idle. Dennis

That makes sense Dennis, it does seem like one (or both) of the plates are not completely closing... I'll give this a shot, thanks!
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:38 pm

As always, you have fantastic ideas Dennis. I pulled the big hose off that goes into the throttle body to be able to really watch the movement of each of the throttle plates as I opened/closed it - sure enough, the top plate didn't close to a completely tight seal every time on its own, it took me pressing on it to get it completely closed. In order to correct I simply adjusted the piece of metal on the outside that closes the throttle plates so it put a little more pressure on them:

I've only taken it for a quick spin but seems to have done the trick. I sincerely appreciate your guidance, I'll post up the status of things after I've done a little more driving. :thumbup:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby Aamir_bt » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:59 pm

Hey I think i saw you on the highway a couple months back, I was in my blue trooper ls, on 440! it was either you or someone with a very similar trooper to yours haha.
'89 4-door trooper LS, 5-spd manual, 3.4L swapped
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS w/ 1.8L DOHC swap, 5-spd
loooong history with isuzu cars.

For this post the author Aamir_bt was thanked by:
shaggydoink
Aamir_bt
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:52 pm

The engine idle is better, although it's still not perfect. Whether or not I'll try a completely different throttle body is a little up in the air, in part because the engine seems to be showing signs of wear overall - the oil pressure seems to be running fairly low (seems to be in the 15-20 range), and it's developed a hollow "thocking" sound at certain RPMs in any gear which... perhaps rod knock?

At any rate, with the cold winter months coming I'm thinking I'll try my hand at rebuilding another 2.6L engine to either use immediately or have ready as a spare. I've got most of the major pieces from prior projects to start with, but started to look into engine rebuild kit options - which I've found some of posts about on the Planet, although not quite as many as I was expecting. Brands that have popped up thus far in my search include the following:

Clegg - http://www.cleggengine.com/engine-rebui ... -1997.html

DNJ - http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/I ... K305M.html

EngineTech - http://enginetechcatalog.com/EngineAppl ... re%2088-97

EPO - http://www.enginepartsonly.com/1990-isu ... oCe2fw_wcB

TopLine - http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail_16. ... nvid=58714

The other route I could go is *not* get a complete kit and obtain parts in a more individual fashion based on what I find as I start dismantling the original engine. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 am

I thought you had a spare motor for this very reason ?

It's been some time since you've updated as well anything new to report ?

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 am

bradzuzu wrote:I thought you had a spare motor for this very reason ?

It's been some time since you've updated as well anything new to report ?

I sold the engine that came out of the Amigo a while back to Lou (aka superman27344), he needed it for his Trooper and it made sense to let him take it vs. having it sit my garage for an unknown period of time.

As far as news, nothing much to report of note although there should be some updates coming in the near future - after waffling between trying to build a new engine completely from scratch or buying a re-manufactured one, I ended up in the middle and bought a used, yet complete engine which I'll overhaul. Going this route will allow me to get a little more familiar with how everything fits together while taking it apart, so theoretically should allow me to do a better job putting everything back together. I just got said engine yesterday, so will probably get underway shortly. I'll post up as I make progress... and have what I feel like are inevitable questions! LOL!!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Didn't you rebuild that 2.6 or a 2.6 for the amigo ?? We love projects , or wives on the other hand see no thrill in our joy lol

What years the motor ?? Also what's the status on the red trooper ?

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am

bradzuzu wrote:Didn't you rebuild that 2.6 or a 2.6 for the amigo ?? We love projects , or wives on the other hand see no thrill in our joy lol

What years the motor ?? Also what's the status on the red trooper ?

Yeah, I did the rebuild on a 2.6 with the Amigo project, although it was more of a "tear it apart then put it back together" sort of thing. Building a motor literally from a bunch individual pieces and parts sort of spooked me out, so I figured I'd do a couple more overhauls first - this "new" motor will be first, then I plan on doing the motor that's currently in my Trooper after that. By then I suspect I'll have a better level of knowledge and comfort and may try to do a from scratch build.

The motor itself is from another 1990, I'll probably start working on it tomorrow.

As for the red Trooper, it blew out a radiator and has had a few other small things go kaput, but it's still chugging along! There's potentially another engine-related project for this truck down the line, a few weekend ago I helped Lou (superman here on the forum) strip out a trashed Amigo and in return got the 3.2L that someone had tried to cram into it:

I've been told it would swap out with the 2.8L fairly easily, so once I get done with my truck I may overhaul it so I've got a spare ready. The time with Lou was a blast, here's how the day ended! :mrgreen:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:34 am

You put the picture in upside down. Oh! wait a minute.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby hessmess » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't know about the 2.8 swap unless it is a 3.1 chevy engine. If it is the 3.2 Isuzu then it is not a straight swap.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 141 times

Postby DSUZU » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Whoa there cowboy!!!! You ain't gettin off that easy. EXACTLY what is that in the Amigo. It isn't an Isuzu 3.2. For a "stock" GM 60 degree, the compressor and alternator are on the wrong sides. More!!!!
Maybe you and I should do a combined engine build thread - got to go roll mine over :D. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:39 am

That's a funny pic , that other one you posted scared me for a bit (the one on fb) thought for a second you had crashed lol

That's a v8 in that amigo by the looks of it !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 am

DSUZU wrote:Whoa there cowboy!!!! You ain't gettin off that easy. EXACTLY what is that in the Amigo. It isn't an Isuzu 3.2. For a "stock" GM 60 degree, the compressor and alternator are on the wrong sides. More!!!!
Maybe you and I should do a combined engine build thread - got to go roll mine over :D. Dennis

Wow you guys really look at a picture closely.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 am

bradzuzu wrote:That's a v8 in that amigo

That's what I was thinking. Between the positions of the alt / compressor and the routing of the top radiator hose. Still want to see more. ( and yes, I DO look closely at pictures. Interesting stuff is often found in the background of pictures). Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:17 am

DSUZU wrote:
bradzuzu wrote:That's a v8 in that amigo

That's what I was thinking. Between the positions of the alt / compressor and the routing of the top radiator hose. Still want to see more. ( and yes, I DO look closely at pictures. Interesting stuff is often found in the background of pictures). Dennis

Now that I think about it, 3.1L is I think what Lou said it was, so my original 3.2L reference was probably incorrect. I'll take some more pics and post them up later today!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 am

Damn, another upside down Amigo. You have to the expert now in getting these little trucks right side up again.

Have to say you two are looking particularly macho in this picture :lol:
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound

For this post the author wmorrisiii was thanked by:
shaggydoink
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 171 times

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides