Isuzu SUV Forum banner

leftarmtans 89' trooper

20K views 98 replies 19 participants last post by  leftarmtan 
#1 ·
Hi all,thought I would start a thread to document my troopers upgrades.
The day I brought it home,2.6 auto xs
Firsttime off road,I knew I had alot of work to do.

See less See more
#2 ·
After doing some basic maintenance and fluid changing,I still had some cooling issues.A new radiator cured that and I have been daily driving it ever since.Now the mods could begin!The suspension was a major problem,extremely stiff,no wheel travel,no locker=getting denied on some pretty basic obsticals on its first outing off road.Turns out the torsion bars were cranked WAY up to the point that it was riding on the bumpstops.This combined with torn cv boots and alot of negative castor on the passenger side,led to new balljoint,boots and adjusting the torsion bars to just sit level with the rear.Did the balljoint flip and found some low profile bumps while I was in there.Made a huge difference in ride quality,suspension travel and now I could mount my new tires.235 85 16's on snowflakes I found on a rodeo.

#3 ·
I also removed all the chrome trim and installed a c.b. I wasnt planning on installing a winch anytime soon but found this winch bumper on CL for $75.Seller had no idea what it came off but it was 64"wide and fit perfectly,just had to fab some mounts.Next up was some lights.27watt led's

#4 ·
So next up is winch and some sort of locker,Not alot of options on the locker so I may do an axle swap.Not thrilled about taking out a perfectly good axle with disc brakes and 4:56 gears but I can build a complete toyota axle for less than an arb.Some pics from last weekend.

#6 ·
Nice truck!

Does that A/C work? 8)

#8 ·
Where'd you get them LED aux lights?

How well to those work?

#9 ·
leftarmtan said:
Thanks guys,yes a/c has been converted to R134 and works well.It was 111 here on Friday so it needs it :D
Can you tell us some details on the conversion, such as fitting change/adaption, type of oil, major component change, etc. Additional components added if any. Approximate cost? Things to avoid?

Thanks,

GB

#11 ·
gb89amigo said:
leftarmtan said:
Thanks guys,yes a/c has been converted to R134 and works well.It was 111 here on Friday so it needs it :D
Can you tell us some details on the conversion, such as fitting change/adaption, type of oil, major component change, etc. Additional components added if any. Approximate cost? Things to avoid?

Thanks,

GB
Sorry it was was converted when I bought it so I don't have any details.It works better than I expected for a vehicle with so much window area and no tint.

#14 ·
8) man your trooper is coming along very nicely. 8) recon

#21 ·
Man, 1st gens look so cool with snowflakes. The led lights look good too!

#22 ·
Installed a couple 12v outlets I got out of a caravan.The stock one is ignition power only which didnt work well with my Sirius receiver, so I installed a dedicted one for that on the side of the side of the center console.And one on the dash.

#24 ·
Land cruiser stuff would be nice and strong !! You might as well throw the front axle in it too... Arnt they disc in back already ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.