1988 Trooper II aka "Stinky"

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 1988 Trooper II aka "Stinky"

Postby chuffer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:50 pm

800XL wrote:Looks like you got a running motor in it of some kind, just saw you go by me. I was pulling out of the police station parking lot in my maroon 95. Hopefully you're ping free, not that I could hear over my 3.2 SOHC valve rattle.

Yup. Got a totally stocker 2.6 in it again. Today was another break in run.

So far it seems to run pretty well. It does make me realize how much more ooomph the high compression motor had. Hopefully once he rings are full seated it will be a little better.
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - Order some!
1988 Isuzu Trooper 2.6l 5-spd aka "Stinky"
2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "Taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "Boroboro-kun"
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 119 times

Sponsor

Postby 800XL » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:46 am

Just a little bump in compression does make a difference. The flat top piston Impulse 2.3L in my 86 was only a little bit more compression over stock but it really woke up that motor.
-Tim

1995 Trooper SOHC 5 Spd, daily driver.
97 camshaft swap
Multec 2/Delphi 98-02 Isuzu injector swap
drilled out exhaust restrictors
285/75-16 Kenda Klever M/T on Snowflakes

95 Trooper Build Thread

1986 Trooper LWB 2 Door - Impulse 2.3L high compression motor, 31x10.5 tires

1977 and 1979 Chevy LUVs - a 2WD and a 4WD matched set, projects in the works
800XL
Trail Master

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:40 am

What are you running for a cam Chris ? Did you zero out the fic ?
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby chuffer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:10 pm

FIC is disconnected.

Cam is the same one that has always been in the Trooper, Delta 260. Never back-fired like this before. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87651

I also noticed that the head is eating valve stem seals on the intake side. Exhaust side is fine. I had this problem years ago when I first installed the Delta 260 in the AMC head. The valve guide seals that I used then were clearly too tall. This time I didn't notice that the seals were extra tall, but I guess they were. This is the head and cam combo that was in Stinky before I (stoopidly) decided to put the other motor in. So, I know that the cam and head can co-exist without destroying each other. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87795

I actually left Stinky at home in the driveway this weekend and took the Toyota camping. The wife said that the Tacoma is a lot quieter and more comfy, but that Stinky is more fun...I guess that means I have to keep both of them, right?
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby chuffer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:58 pm

A picture is worth 1000 words.

What you're looking at:

• Far left: valve guide seal from the #2 exhaust valve. Not sure what brand they were, but they were not Felpro.
  • Second & Third from Left: New Felpro seals.
  • Third from the right: Seal from the #1 exhaust valve. Damaged.
  • Two on the far right: two intake side seals. Hammered.

Things to note:

• One exhaust seal was damaged and one wasn't. Strange.
  • The seals from the motor are about 1 mm taller than the Felpro seals.
  • Luckily, I am finding most of the little pieces of seal in the head.

I ran out of time tonight, but will dig into the remaining cylinders tomorrow. I am a little pissed at myself for not catching this, because it happened to me once already. We are supposed to learn from our mistakes not repeat them!

:derp: I'll leave this pic here just to remind myself that I have been here before. This is my even blurrier pic from the last time I had this issue.

-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:37 am

This may seem like a stupid question, but I wonder what just using the (don't recall actual name or name brand) add-on electronic control to advance the spark would have done for performance (W/O cams etc). I know there is a timing adjustment at the dizzy, but the ECM still controls the curves etc. I'm remembering my old Nissan Stanza (early EFI with a vacuum advance) where I could crank the timing a little hotter (at the expense of passing emissions) and get much more pep and an extra 4 MPG. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 624 times

Postby chuffer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Because this thread needs moar pictars and less whining: The wife and I took a quick trip out of town and up to the hills on the 4th. We wanted to get away from people and their lame attempts to blow their fingers off. Unfortunately, I wasn't ready to take Stinky, but the Tacoma was ready to go pretty quickly. We didn't do any exploring and headed right to one of our regular spots that we call the weekend house. The last mile or so is on a really rough road with serious erosion, rocks, fallen trees and water bars. The ten miles before that were washboard, dirt and hardtack.

First things first. Get sleeping quarters set up before dark.

Next up, go exploring a little. Saw these wild looking wild flowers. At first I thought they were mushrooms. Very tall skinny mushrooms. Apparently I need glasses too.

Then I found the real mushrooms. Ramaria Botrytis aka clustered coral. Tasty!! Best yet, they were everywhere. We came home with around 20 lbs worth.

After a little exploration it was time to get some chaos in the kitchen on. The tailgate on the Taco actually makes a better kitchen table then the drop-down contraption that I built for Stinky.

Once dinner was underway i grabbed some approaching sunset pictures. Three Fingered Jack:

Mount Jefferson. There are probably some other pics of these exact views in this thread, but as I said this is one of our regular spots.

The next day we decided to go for a quick walk and look for some more mushrooms and do some general foraging. Yes, living in Oregon is making us go feral. Our quick walk kept getting longer and longer, because the scenery was so cool. I finally had to order the turn-around when we were down to about a mouthful of water for each of us (two people and two dogs). That liter bottle in my wife's hand is the only water we had for about four hours of walking in the sun at 5000 ft. Not really a big deal. More of bummer, because we weren't ready to turn around...

We were walking through a section of National Forest and at times Wilderness Area that had burned in 2014. There was minimal shade, but some very interesting color combos, shapes, etc.

The burnt up trees look like skeletons when the bark falls off. Wild fires suck, but the after effects are so visually impressive.

After the fact, I realized that I prolly shoulda had the wife wear a helmet for this pic. Look at that one piece of tree barely hanging on~!

Can't have a camping trip without the four-legged morons. They get braver all the time. I really have to watch the one on the right, because she is one hell of a hunter. Faster and nimbler than any dog I've ever owned. "Luckily" she only hunts rodents
Image.

The other "positive" side of wild fires is that they open up the view a bit. Here is another shot of Three Fingered Jack from a little different perspective.
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:44 pm

[quote="chuffer"]Then I found the real mushrooms. Ramaria Botrytis aka clustered coral. Tasty!! Best yet, they were everywhere. We came home with around 20 lbs worth.
The next day we decided to go for a quick walk and look for some more mushrooms

I may be getting an idea of why you had problems with your engine build :D Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 624 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Wow spectacular photos , I bet being there in person was pretty impressive , glad to see that you took a forced break and went out and enjoyed yourself for a change , I know we've hardly spoken lately because we're both running in different directions ...

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:18 am

bradzuzu wrote:glad to see that you took a forced break and went out and enjoyed yourself for a change

A big x2!! It sounds like you've had a lot on your plate/shoulders for the past little while, I could feel the joy emanating from your trip report which made me smile. :mrgreen: Three Fingered Jack and Mount Jefferson are climbable right? Is this something you've ever done or had an interest in doing?

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 386 times

Postby chuffer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:24 pm

shaggydoink wrote:Three Fingered Jack and Mount Jefferson are climbable right? Is this something you've ever done or had an interest in doing?

Jonathan

Both are climbable, but both are also technical climbs, I.e. helmet, crampons, ice-axes and a careful eye on the weather. I would love to climb either or both.

EDIT: Damnit! Why oh why did you have poke me there? Jefferson may have to happen sooner than later now. I spent the time since I replied to your post thinking and surfing about Jeff. May have to try the southwest route for the hell of it. It is the easiest, which is right up my alley... http://www.summitpost.org/mount-jefferson/150576
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:06 am

This is what friends do best !!

They share pictures of you and your rig ,,,

And

Direct you in ways you don't nessisarily want to go..

Poor stinky wasn't really stuck , he was more or less trying to take home some fire wood

After a couple chunks of smaller logs where placed Chris drove right off of the log , what are friends for huh :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:09 am

Couple more of a nice rock crossing

We sure had a good time !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby chuffer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:34 am

Even more pictars here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87966
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:37 am

That looks like it was an amazing ride, I'm glad y'all are finding some time to get out into the wild! Do you have even ballpark coordinates on where this spot is? I'd love to explore it some on the map... and yes, I *am* a nerd like that. :roll:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 386 times

Postby chuffer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:27 pm

shaggydoink wrote:That looks like it was an amazing ride, I'm glad y'all are finding some time to get out into the wild! Do you have even ballpark coordinates on where this spot is? I'd love to explore it some on the map... and yes, I *am* a nerd like that. :roll:

Jonathan

Browns Camp OHV area is close enough to get you to the neighborhood. Technically we were on the border bouncing back and forth between Browns and the Trask Mtn OHV area. "Stick in the Nose" is a trail that is shown in a couple of the pics in the thread I linked. I think the pics from Brad are on "Bushong" trail. The trails were all easy trails. Other than some rocks to navigate and one tippy spot, stock rigs would be fine on this trail. In fact, at the tippy spot, a stocker would be a lot less puckery...
-Chris

For this post the author chuffer was thanked by:
shaggydoink
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Goal-drift

Postby chuffer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Yesterday while driving out to one of the vineyards, the radio mount thingamajig fell off the bottom of the console and knocked the truck out of gear. Scared the bejeebus out of me, cause I was doing 65 in fifth on gravel. So when the tranny was knocked out of gear there was a loud pop and the engine revved through the roof -my foot was still on the gas as i was looking around trying to understand what was happening! :albino: No harm was done other than taking a couple more days off of the life span of my ticker.

So, today in order to re-attach the screws that hold the radio holder in place, I re-did my fuel pressure regulator setup. How I drifted from radio re-attach to FPR, I really don't know myself, but I am curious to see what happens.

For the past couple of years I've been running an aftermarket adjustable FPR. I just switched back to a stock FPR that uses manifold vacuum, ported vacuum and a VSV to determine correct fuel pressure. So far it seems to have better off idle throttle response, because all I've done is rev the motor in the driveway. :derp:
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Wow !! What's this guy smokin ?!?

You're still my buddy even if you're a screwball :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby chuffer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:52 am

bradzuzu wrote:Wow !! What's this guy smokin ?!?

You're still my buddy even if you're a screwball :)

I was suffering in a fit of depression, because you didn't invite me on that wheeling trip this past weekend, dick.
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:55 pm

Honestly it wasn't planned mr self pitty , I would have invited you had I known ahead of time though ... We played poker the night before so I was slightly dazed and confused a good half the day :drunken: seriously !! To many Jell-O shots :alien:

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby isuzuuuuboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 am

Well I know this thread has been dead for a bit, but I want to offer chris this option for more power.
I live in Forrest Groove, OR and am wanting to get the archies v8 gm 60 degree adapter to gm 90 degree I am going towards a 4.8l ls outa a halfton pickup, and sending the harness out to a guy in vancouver that deletes everything you don't need and makes it run off just 3 power wires and a ground. So I will just need to get a better fuel pump. But what I can do is copy the adapter plate and have it ready to be made for ya.

Also would sure love to go out with you all some time.
isuzuuuuboy
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby chuffer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 am

isuzuuuuboy wrote:Well I know this thread has been dead for a bit, but I want to offer chris this option for more power.
I live in Forrest Groove, OR and am wanting to get the archies v8 gm 60 degree adapter to gm 90 degree I am going towards a 4.8l ls outa a halfton pickup, and sending the harness out to a guy in vancouver that deletes everything you don't need and makes it run off just 3 power wires and a ground. So I will just need to get a better fuel pump. But what I can do is copy the adapter plate and have it ready to be made for ya.

Also would sure love to go out with you all some time.

I know this thread has been dead for a while. New business and very busy old business doesn't leave a lot of time for messing around with the Trooper. Right now it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to finish rebuilding one of the reservoir shocks...waiting on parts for that.

As for the GM adapter, I am guessing that this will let me bolt up a GM V8 to the Isuzu 2.8 V6 drivetrain, correct? How much do you think the copy would cost? While I don't think I'd need it right now, Bradzipple might be interested and it's prolly easier to copy it now then after you bolted into the truck!

As for wheeling, yeah, I gotta get out one of these days again. That poor truck has been sitting in the garage for over a month.

You have a link to your build?
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Raphouse » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Great thread. I came across it while researching my next vehicle. You have sold my wife and I on the Gen 1 Trooper. Awesome camping pics, I am inspired! :D
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby chuffer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Raphouse wrote:Great thread. I came across it while researching my next vehicle. You have sold my wife and I on the Gen 1 Trooper. Awesome camping pics, I am inspired! :D

Haha. Thanks for now, but don't blame me for the bloody knuckles and time spent under the hood in your future.

I need to go look at some of those pics to inspire me to get the trooper buttoned back up. That said, I put the battery-tender back on so that it'll be fully charged an ready to go when I get done re-sealing my shocks.
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby chuffer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Was looking for something today and needed to dig throught these. SO, I thought I'd put them all here for future reference...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52559

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62459

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65000

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62935
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides