1988 Trooper II aka "Stinky"

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 1988 Trooper II aka "Stinky"

Postby Raphouse » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:55 pm

chuffer wrote:
Raphouse wrote:Great thread. I came across it while researching my next vehicle. You have sold my wife and I on the Gen 1 Trooper. Awesome camping pics, I am inspired! :D

Haha. Thanks for now, but don't blame me for the bloody knuckles and time spent under the hood in your future.

I need to go look at some of those pics to inspire me to get the trooper buttoned back up. That said, I put the battery-tender back on so that it'll be fully charged an ready to go when I get done re-sealing my shocks.

Great! In for pics of new adventures up there. The pacific NW is breath taking.
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Postby chuffer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Raphouse, die you get a Trooper yet? Thread?

I have been chasing an oil leak forever on this truck. Two motor swaps and even more rear-main seal R&Rs, and the old girl still leaves a quarter sized puddle every time I park her. Now I am starting to think that the oil leak may not actually be from the motor. I pulled the little mud-shield that sits between the motor and the trans today. There was significant oil on the trans side, but the motor side was completely dry. There is also a consistent trace of oil running down from the slave cylinder boot that I always just chalked up to a leaky slave cylinder or old oil from a leaky valve cover or something, but if the front seal on the input shaft was leaking, some oil might get flung into that booty and eventually leak down. (<-that sentence right there is a grammatical marvel!) One way or the other, I am just gonna let it leak at this point. I'll keep my eye on the trans fluid level, but I ain't pulling nothing for a while.

On the positive side, I finally got my new shocks. I ordered a new single FOA reservoir shock to replace one that I was have trouble rebuilding. The box showed up looking a little big and feeling a little heavy. That was because there were two new shocks inside. Shot them a message to confirm that this was kosher and was told no need to send the extra one back. Bam!
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - made by my Wife - Now Shipping!
LIfe in Amerika - My Blog
1988 Isuzu Trooper 2.6l 5-spd aka "stinky"
2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "boroboro-kun"
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby Raphouse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

chuffer wrote:Raphouse, die you get a Trooper yet? Thread?

I have been chasing an oil leak forever on this truck. Two motor swaps and even more rear-main seal R&Rs, and the old girl still leaves a quarter sized puddle every time I park her. Now I am starting to think that the oil leak may not actually be from the motor. I pulled the little mud-shield that sits between the motor and the trans today. There was significant oil on the trans side, but the motor side was completely dry. There is also a consistent trace of oil running down from the slave cylinder boot that I always just chalked up to a leaky slave cylinder or old oil from a leaky valve cover or something, but if the front seal on the input shaft was leaking, some oil might get flung into that booty and eventually leak down. (<-that sentence right there is a grammatical marvel!) One way or the other, I am just gonna let it leak at this point. I'll keep my eye on the trans fluid level, but I ain't pulling nothing for a while.

On the positive side, I finally got my new shocks. I ordered a new single FOA reservoir shock to replace one that I was have trouble rebuilding. The box showed up looking a little big and feeling a little heavy. That was because there were two new shocks inside. Shot them a message to confirm that this was kosher and was told no need to send the extra one back. Bam!

Sort of. I came up on a killer deal on a rodeo. The thread is under Raph's rodeo, something like that at least. If I get her up and running reliably, we plan to attend the overland expo in Flagstaff next month. Good luck with the leak bro
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Nice! Free resi shock?! Karma for something ... get out there and use them.
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 81 times

Postby chuffer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Drove the Stink around for a bit this weekend. I may need to tune the Resi-shocks a little or maybe get some better front springs. The suspension handles big bumps and rollers great, but little bumps are brutal! A little crack in the road feels like someone is hitting me with a baseball bat, but a big hole is "butter soft." Tire pressure is already at 30 psi. Maybe I'll try 28 psi.

Other than that Stinky did fine. Drove over the mtns and out to the coast while doing some morel hunting, which involved mostly fire-roads. Motor ran fine and didn't burn any oil, which, I think, means that it is the tranny that's leaking. I checked under the truck last night and didn't seal any oil...hope that doesn't mean the tranny is empty or low. Prolly ought to check that.
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - made by my Wife - Now Shipping!
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Did you end up charging your shocks with air or nitrogen ? Is it possible the new shocks are valved different ?
Glad to hear it did a road trip !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby chuffer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Air. The biggest danger with Nitrogen is corosion and the old shocks had no corosion at all.

As for valving, yes they are different. The old ones were valved medium-compression and medium rebound. The new ones are valved medium-light compression and medium rebound. Pressure in the cans is about 150 psi now, which is what the intardweb says they should be...

It was nice to take her out. Drove OK, but I am too used to the Taco front suspension, which is silky smooth like a car. (I assume relative to a real car that the Taco drives like a truck, but I try to avoid driving \ riding in cars.)
-Chris
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Might try going down to 100 psi , I thought we did them around 50 to 70 psi last time..
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby jpmsteadi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm

chuffer,

I just read through your whole thread here. I love all the work you did on "stinky". What a great looking truck!! If you are ever in Atlanta beers are on me.
-------------------------------------------------------------
1986 4 door trooper - 2.3l with Jerry cam, 1997 Rodeo intake, 1991 Ford EDIS spark module, and Megasquirt II controlling it all.
jpmsteadi
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 3 times

Previous

Return to Member's Rides