The Fat Lady 88trooper SAS & dual case build

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: The Fat Lady 88trooper SAS & dual case build

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:00 pm

You can probably cut it down a bit right? Not sure where the seal(s) are for the output shaft in the housing, but I'd cut it as short as possible. As long as you have about an inch and a half of engagement (greater than or equal to diameter of the shaft) you should be good, is my understanding.
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 87 times

Sponsor

Postby younggun » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:54 pm

I would have replied earlier but it's been a busy few days loading trucks at the farm.

Paul, your correct, I am going to have to drop them a little. According to the measurements I took when I flexed it they will be about 4" away from contact. I haven't decided if I want to play with the back to see if I can get a little more flex out of it. For now their on but yet to be finished. :lol:

Yes brad I am using the factory unit out of the 88. I figure if it breaks, I have three more to improve on design :lol: I'm also cheap. As it sits, not including the tires, I'm a little over $900 into parts and materials on the "new build"; purchasing a fixed yoke case just adds $$ to the bill.

As for the cases. Factory length mua5 bellhousing edge to tailshaft tip I measured 37 1/4". The rear case adapter edge to flange I got 18". The front case has 4"" of output splines, the rear has 2 3/4" of input splines. Slid together with full spline engagement and the front case tailshaft trimmed 1.5" output splines untouched the unit is 50 3/8" long. That's only 13 1/8" longer then factory.

First things first pulled the rear half. Brad has a few threads that ALWAYS come up in my searches, they are filled with helpful pictures and tons of information. Thank you. Being able to see the things in pieces, and usually a write up that is generally a "how to" it makes the task feel much less daunting.

I haven't actually gotten to any gear pulling besides the front cases rear output but I did some cutting :twisted:

Now there are options on the horizon. In the photo below the piece I cut off is sitting on top, and the white line on the splines is full engagement, there is 1.5" excess below the line. The area the punch is pointing at is where a 1/4" plate would mate on the housing if welded to the adapter- only cutting being the front case rear housing- there is 1/2" space between the housing end and adapter seal. The cast ring below the punch is the area where the tailshaft bearing with seal seats.
The area below to the right is where the case bulks up and the speed gear bolts in. Given I don't need that on the front case deciding how much spline engadgement and cutting I want to do will determine the overall length. The case is faily thick but the farther I bring it forward the stronger I think it would be, however if I ever break any internal hard parts(front case output) it will also require modification to replace. That isn't the end of the world.

This is a photo of the unit slid together(only front case output housing trimmed 1.5"). Measuring tape gives a rough representation of how much I can shorten it up between the cases. If I get some time this week I might play with it a bit.

younggun
Mud King

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby younggun » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Did some cutting. Trimmed 1 1/4" more off the tailshaft housing and 2" off the tailshaft in 1" sections checking fitment.
I cut just enough to retain the full seat for the tailshaft bearing.

Rear case input vs front case output shaft bearing.
With the 2.5" of input spline, I could probably trim 1/2" off it and shorten it that extra bit, but I'm happy with where it is. I have full spline engadgement still.

With the front output housing on.

I did have to trim the front speed sensor port.

All slid together, front the rear half of the front case to driveshaft flange is 24 1/2"

Now to finish pulling the front case apart, find myself some aluminum plate and welder up!
younggun
Mud King

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Nice!
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby younggun » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Made it to my metal supplier today, picked up some aluminum odds and ends out of their scrap bin. It's more than I need for this project but I like to have extras for when things pop up, and it was only $25 which I assume goes to the guys beer fund :lol:

I got chopping!! Hopefully I can get a few hours in the shop tomorrow and get everything blasted up, trim some plate and start welding!
Pulling the case apart was much easier then expected. Didn't even break anything or loose any bolts.. yet anyways.

For this post the author younggun was thanked by:
MarkB.NV
younggun
Mud King

Postby younggun » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Got everything to the shop and blasted the pieces I'd be welding.

I have about 3/16 of a gap between the gear and plate. I hope that will be enough.

Everything is tacked in place for tonight, I plan to weld it out tomorrow but my tig was giving me issues with a erratic arc. Thinking I have a high freq leak somewhere, if I can't get it working right I might just stick it. I plan to add a couple fin guessets from the front case to where the adapter is welded. Being I didn't cut the adapter down I retain the mount on the bottom. That's the way it is factory so I figure it should be alright with the second case hanging off the back.

younggun
Mud King

Postby paulevans76 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:52 am

Want to do mine next? :D
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 am

Not bad at all , I'd have to measure mine to compare the difference in length , I like what you've done so far !!
I'm in the process of designing some front control arms similar to an fj80 , can't seem to get enough of the engineering stuff lol
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby younggun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 pm

I'd have no problem building another one if this holds up. Shipping might be the killer tho, I'm north of the border. I do have family in NC I'm hoping to go visit this fall if plans work out.

I'd be curious to see the difference in total lengths brad! I too have been tied with other projects in the shop, paying ones haha. I had to send my tig in for repairs so that's holding up the transfercase project as well as a few other things.
I promise I'll be back on it asap!
younggun
Mud King

Postby Milly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 am

can't believe it, adorable!
Milly
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:58 am

It seems to me that the added length to my setup is 14"s , I have a 205 that I setup but it added to much length to the amigo , I could however put it into my trooper , but I've gotta test the full Isuzu setup first !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby paulevans76 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:38 am

How goes it?