89' Trooper RS Project

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Postby justwork » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 am

I think I need to see that grill on the truck, not the floor, to appreciate the inserts. I really like the deck idea, have you thought about carpeting it with something similar to the floor carpet instead of staining it
Chris
Cherry 1991 Trooper LS. Gone. 3.4L V6 conversion, 2.5" exhaust, MUA5 Transmission, Aisin hubs, stainless brake lines, Independent lift shackles, Surco basket rack, all sitting on 235/75R15 BFG AT's
justwork
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Postby Cronk » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:17 pm

....have you thought about carpeting it with something similar to the floor carpet instead of staining it

I'm planning to carpet one side, stain the other. That way I can go either way.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 91 times

Postby justwork » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:06 pm

cronk wrote:
....have you thought about carpeting it with something similar to the floor carpet instead of staining it

I'm planning to carpet one side, stain the other. That way I can go either way.

Nice
Chris
Cherry 1991 Trooper LS. Gone. 3.4L V6 conversion, 2.5" exhaust, MUA5 Transmission, Aisin hubs, stainless brake lines, Independent lift shackles, Surco basket rack, all sitting on 235/75R15 BFG AT's
justwork
Donor
Donor

Postby Cronk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks Chris

Did a little body work, mocked up the new wheels and tires.

Sneak preview on the paint scheme:

Also got the head back from the machine shop. Guy said it had two burnt valves, probably why the compression was so low huh? He checked it for cracks and warping, replaced the valves and surfaced both it and the exhaust manifold.

Needed a gasket set so I got one from Jerry and put it all back together including the new chrome valve cover.

As you can see, I didn't do the intake with the head. Now I know why you guys have said to do so.......

It literally took me three hours to bolt that sucker on with the head already in place. Laying in the fender well contorting my arm to tighten those two front bolts was a total PIA.....I tried everything and ended up having to use an old fashioned open end wrench 1/8 turn at at time. wasn't fun but finally I got it! :D

Tried to polish the intake to match the chrome valve cover, gave up and painted it to match the body.

Took me a bit to get the timing right but it fired off a bit ago! Too bad the flex pipe was shot. As a curtsy to the neighbors, I went and got myself a piece of flex pipe. Now to figure out the mystery vacuum lines that I failed to photograph before the tear down......
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby shooter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 pm

Your hard work paid off handsomely. I was fixing to ask the difficulty level in doing the intake with the head in place. At least you got it. If you need any help with the vacuum line routing, give a holler.

shooter
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby Metal88 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 am

i see you have ac on the RS im putting mine back on but the pump doesnt seem to fit...is there anything else than just the braket and pump or is there a special way to put it back on?
Sal
-If you don't put any effort in anything you do in life, you mine as well be a vegetable- Burt Munro
Metal88
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Cronk » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:53 am

Metal88 wrote:i see you have ac on the RS im putting mine back on but the pump doesnt seem to fit...is there anything else than just the braket and pump or is there a special way to put it back on?

A shoe horn...... it doesn't surprise me that you have trouble getting it to fit. I unbolted mine a tipped it out enough to give me room to work. With the hoses and everything else in there, there is little room at all. If yours is the factory pump and to still have the bracket, you should be able to get it in there, let me know and I'll take some pictures of if it'll help.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Metal88 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 am

cronk wrote:
Metal88 wrote:i see you have ac on the RS im putting mine back on but the pump doesnt seem to fit...is there anything else than just the braket and pump or is there a special way to put it back on?

A shoe horn...... it doesn't surprise me that you have trouble getting it to fit. I unbolted mine a tipped it out enough to give me room to work. With the hoses and everything else in there, there is little room at all. If yours is the factory pump and to still have the bracket, you should be able to get it in there, let me know and I'll take some pictures of if it'll help.

um k well the pump was there since the begining and the brakets is from an 88 trooper so i dont see how this could not match... the pump seems to be bigger than the braket
Sal
-If you don't put any effort in anything you do in life, you mine as well be a vegetable- Burt Munro
Metal88
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby justwork » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:17 am

very nice... Paint is looking good too.
Chris
justwork
Donor
Donor

Postby Ditchdoc » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 am

You've gotta do something with those Nissian logos on the rims... The RS is looking great other wise 8) Keep the pic's coming..
Peter
90 Trooper Stock 93k original miles
90 Trooper LS SAS Trail Pig
85 VW Vanagon
Ditchdoc
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Cronk » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Forgot to mention the radiator was shot, fins literally crumbled on contact. Part of being in a marine environment..... Checked on a replacement, ended up getting it re-cored and upgraded to a two core while I was at it. Failed to get pictures but a local guy did it all himself. Was a bit pricey but fast. In the door and back to me in two days. Times are slow.....
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby lowzone » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:32 pm

cronk wrote:Image

i liked the look of those tires, im getting a set of 5 tonight for 350.00 off Craigslist...500 miles on them....WOOO HOOO, now i just need rims.

i never heard back about the snowflakes you were selling so i couldnt pass up these 17s so hopefully the 1st person bought your 15s as i need 17s now :)
if i build it, it will scrape..........or catch on fire
I'm not a mechanic, but i played one in my garage......
lowzone
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby Cronk » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Yeah, sorry, you were third in line. I think TrooperChris is taking them.

That's a great deal on the tires!
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby stusvend » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who'll put nissan wheels on a 1st gen troop. 8)
Matt
'88 Trooper LS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. - SOLD :( (Replaced by 2012 Xterra Pro-4x)
'89 Trooper RS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual.
'69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser- 3.9L inline 6, 3 speed manual.
stusvend
Subscriber

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby Cronk » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:03 am

Those center caps are now filled and painted, once I get my Isuzu emblems on them you'll never know they said Nissan.

Had to interrupt my progress on the truck to ready it for the trek east. I did get the hideous stripes off of it. Trooper Chris is now the proud owner of the old snowflakes. Paint still needs wet sanded an buffed. I did get the roof rack and bumpers on though.

Here's how she sits now:

The two together before I took the other one to storage.

Edit: Intake link to use later......

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mercha ... _Code=BRHX
Last edited by Cronk on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby justwork » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:27 am

The RS is sweet, selling the other one I see? I really like everything you've got going on the RS
Chris
justwork
Donor
Donor

Postby btw1549 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:46 pm

I really like the look of those wheels on the truck. The whole truck overall is fantastic. Nice job.
BtW - 1991 LS Trooper In Progress, Complete Restoration with 3.4L Swap! (The Tank)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72642

2002 Isuzu Axiom In Progress, Complete Drivetrain Rebuild with Suspension Refresh/Lift
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74409
btw1549
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby Cronk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Yeah, I need to lean the herd. If it sells it sells, otherwise I'll be going back to retrieve it. (left it up in Oregon) Willed Mike the cut down doors and spare hood.

I gave the round headlights a consideration but since this is going to be a driver, I want the halogens. I think they add to the overall modern look that these Troopers had back in the late 80's. They were ahead of the curve compared to the competitors. I had considered getting some round halogens off of a Jeep Liberty then also gave the rectangle ones with round centers out of a Hummer H3 a thought but the stock ones are real glass and probably of better quality. May change later on, we'll see.

My cross country trek went well enough except a Porsche driver with an ego F-ing with me in Nawlens. (personal plate "Pop 007" if anyone can run it). Now I need to find a new place to stay so I can continue where I left off.
Cronk
Subscriber

89' Trooper RS Project

Postby Cavmedic » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:14 pm

looks great
JP U.S. Army Cavalry 84-05 (Ret)

90 Isuzu Amigo Superwinch hubs 4.3 V6 5 Speed 33x12.5x15 lifted -Trail Truck
90 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 5 Speed Aisin hubs, Rear Aussie locker
99 Chevy Suburban 4x4 stock -Hunting/Tow Rig
Cavmedic
Mud King

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby anivek » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:17 am

is it still for sale? where in oregon is it?
...kevin...
'90 Trooper 2.6l 5 speed
anivek
Zu Royalty

Postby Cronk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:36 am

It's in Medford Oregon. I composed a Craigslist add for it but have not posted it. So yes, it is still for sale.

Here is the link to that truck's build:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... ht=trooper
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby trprguy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 am

Wow! what a small world. I am glad to see that the valve cover I put on ebay off my '88 Trooper went to a good home.
1990 Isusu Trooper, 3.4L, 5-Spd, 4.3 Pod on Holley base, ARI Cam, Roller Rockers, e-fan, Lizard Skin.
trprguy
Drives on Gravel

Postby Cronk » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:25 am

That's funny, I figured it came from a low rider. Did you have it chromed?
Kinda wish I would have gotten the cam too....Well, at least you know it didn't stray from the pack.

The weather is warming up, I need to start wrenching on this thing again.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby IsuzuGeek » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:55 pm

If there's one thing I don't like about this forum, is how many categories there are. I miss so many awesome threads because I rarely look at all the sections!!

This is awesome, Cronk. She looks sweet.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides