89' Trooper RS Project

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Postby Cronk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:03 pm

nfpgasmask wrote:If there's one thing I don't like about this forum, is how many categories there are. I miss so many awesome threads because I rarely look at all the sections!!

This is awesome, Cronk. She looks sweet.

Bart

Thanks! I'll get her finished one of these days.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 89 times

Sponsor

Postby Cronk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Quick update, got a different bumper in the works...... This place isn't far from me and I saw this bumper a year ago when I got the one for my Rodeo. I had contemplated getting it then but could not justify it.
Now, well, let's just say that the the price was right!
It'll be too wide and who knows what the mounts will be like but I can't argue with the basic look. Figure I can get it cut down the middle and re-welded in order to narrow it. I really like the tube bumpers but I like this better!

Cronk
Subscriber

Postby 4play » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 am

cronk wrote:...It'll be too wide and who knows what the mounts will be like but I can't argue with the basic look....

Hey now, don't knock wide bumpers :roll:

'91 Trooper LS, 4x4, Auto, V-6, (4play)
'09 Ford Crown Vic (4work)
'00 Chevy 2500, XCab, LWB 4X4 (4whatever)
4play
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Cronk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 pm

4play wrote:
Hey now, don't knock wide bumpers :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nope, not knocking them. Didn't realize how narrow these little Troopers are though. :shock: This thing is 4" narrower than my Rodeo.

I'll pick it up later this week. Who knows, the guy at the body shop where I want to get my hood and flares painted has a Ranger that this will fit. I might barter a paint job with the bumper instead.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby stusvend » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 pm

cronk wrote:Quick update, got a different bumper in the works...... This place isn't far from me and I saw this bumper a year ago when I got the one for my Rodeo. I had contemplated getting it then but could not justify it.
Now, well, let's just say that the the price was right!
It'll be too wide and who knows what the mounts will be like but I can't argue with the basic look. Figure I can get it cut down the middle and re-welded in order to narrow it. I really like the tube bumpers but I like this better!

so is it kind of curved, like if you were to look at it from the top?
Matt
'88 Trooper LS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. - SOLD :( (Replaced by 2012 Xterra Pro-4x)
'89 Trooper RS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual.
'69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser- 3.9L inline 6, 3 speed manual.
stusvend
Subscriber

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby Cronk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 am

stusvend wrote:
so is it kind of curved, like if you were to look at it from the top?

looking on the TJM site, I think it curves a bit but nothing major. I hope to find out soon!
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby iRunRodeo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 am

you find the best deals man, i got to say i am jealous i want one of those for my rodeo
Quin
2000 rodeo
6inch lift
iRunRodeo
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Cronk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:45 am

Finally gave up and took this to a mechanic to diagnose the timing issue that I have. Hope to hear on what it was, figuring on something simple...... :roll:

Thinking about trading or selling this one since the Rodeo has taken priority with me. We'll see, my coworker's lease expires soon and he really likes it. He'll be good to it. Then again, I'm also thinking of swapping another Isuzu enthusiast for a complete, rust free diesel Pup. I'm not against offers. PM me if you want to buy it. :wink:
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby RamAirZ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

:D
Current: 2004 GMC Sierra- slightly modded, baja style :twisted:
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport- 3.5 swap, 3.5" lift, 32's, LED pods, custom exhaust
Previous: 1999 Isuzu Vehicross/1997 Isuzu Rodeo/ 1995 Honda Passport
RamAirZ
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 28 times

Re: 89' Trooper RS Project

Postby Cronk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:02 am

Well, I had the timing right after all! Turned out that it had some pretty bad vacuum leaks. Mechanic said the intake manifold is leaking too, says it still has a miss but not bad but when he sprays carb cleaner along the intake, it revs up. Says that once it runs for a bit the intake must swell enough that the miss goes away. Maybe it just needs driven. I'll be picking it up next week, will be good to get to drive it!
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Cronk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Went and picked up this sucker last week. Jerry was gracious enough to let me stage it at The ISUZU Mecca until I could come back and get it. Took me a bit longer than I planned. :oops: Now to finish it and get it on the road!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby IsuzuGeek » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Nice!

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 197 times

Postby squatch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Cronk wrote:Went and picked up this sucker last week. Jerry was gracious enough to let me stage it at The ISUZU Mecca until I could come back and get it. Took me a bit longer than I planned. :oops: Now to finish it and get it on the road!

OMG a revival that's older than my Pickup thread!

I was trying to get Jerry to look the other way while I went down and pulled the 4:77's outta this thing!
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 326 times

Postby Cronk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 am

squatch wrote:
Cronk wrote:Went and picked up this sucker last week. Jerry was gracious enough to let me stage it at The ISUZU Mecca until I could come back and get it. Took me a bit longer than I planned. :oops: Now to finish it and get it on the road!

OMG a revival that's older than my Pickup thread!

I was trying to get Jerry to look the other way while I went down and pulled the 4:77's outta this thing!

Now I'm bringing this tread back to life. :lol: :lol:

Got the Trooper in storage. Basically keeping it preserved till I can do something with it. Is in good shape so as long as the mice don't eat up the interior and piss everywhere. Ultimately, I want it to be a nicely updated driver, I don't plan on wheeling this thing. I would like to give it an updated power plant. I would really like to put a 5.3 mated to an 8 speed transmission in it. Get it painted by a professional and simply drive it. Would be like a nicely resto-mod classic truck. However, I would probably never get back what I put into it if I did that. Common sense tells me to stay true to it's roots and put a 3.5/AR5 from a 2nd gen Trooper. Plenty of 2nd gens with rusty frames around here.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby itsmehb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am

I'll be following along on this one. That's a lot of power, if you do the engine mod your talking of. I sometimes want an engine upgrade for mine, but put most of the money into new suspension, cosmetics (new paint) and a Weber conversion. I always envisioned a 3.4 in it, but would have to get a complete tranny, and that's too much work. Would you still retain the 4x4 with the engine mod. your thinking of?
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby Cronk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:55 am

itsmehb wrote:I'll be following along on this one. That's a lot of power, if you do the engine mod your talking of. I sometimes want an engine upgrade for mine, but put most of the money into new suspension, cosmetics (new paint) and a Weber conversion. I always envisioned a 3.4 in it, but would have to get a complete tranny, and that's too much work. Would you still retain the 4x4 with the engine mod. your thinking of?

I would keep it 4wd.

If I went to 5.3 combo, I'd have to get a kit from advance adaptors for the transfer case, make transmission cross members, engine mounts, custom radiator, drive shafts and re-gear. Would be expensive but would be pretty cool.

If I went 3.5, I'd say most everything should work close to stock with stock parts. Rear driveshaft may need to be custom made but I'd say I could source from a Rodeo sport. Isuzu's are handy that way! There was a guy who put a 3.2 out of a second gen into a 1st gen Amigo, even the dash transferred.

RS's are rare and coveted as is but I want to do something a little different. I also want something that I won't get run down while driving on the highway. Cars of today have so much more power available from the factory.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Cronk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:41 am

I work slow so this may take a while!
Cronk
Subscriber

Previous

Return to Member's Rides