How Do You Post Pictures?

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: How Do You Post Pictures?

Postby govno90 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Selador wrote:
govno90 wrote:
Selador wrote:
govno90 wrote:do the photos that we post on here have a time limit? i went back into my build thread and i saw that most of my photos are not there any longer. in it's place is a small rectangle with a red X and the word "image". are they lost forever now or is there a way i can recover them.
note: my photos on here were uploaded and downloaded (hope those are the right terms) using FOTKI.

thanks for any help

john

Not that I know of.

Please give me a link to a couple of those threads.

here ya go Jeff. if you can help, then thank you. if not, thank you.

cheers, john

The links ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OOOPS!
how's this.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46872

cheers
it's OK for you too!

1990 trooper XS 2.8L auto

currently building 3.4L -(built, but not yet installed) -(installed, but not yet running) -(finally running, but not properly)
govno90
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 12 times

Sponsor

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:06 pm

govno90 wrote:OOOPS!
how's this.

cheers

Those pictures don't come up even when I take their URLs and put them directly into the browser. It's no wonder they don't appear in the post.

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby Selahdoor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 pm

how's this.

cheers

That worked.

The images don't.

The reason is as Joe Isuzu said. The images are not on this forum. They are uploaded elsewhere, and then linked to.

The problem is that the links no longer work. Either there is a problem at the other site. Or the pics have been removed from that site. Or something similar.
-Jeff
1988 Trooper LS. 4ZE1. mua5.

How can I help you or make you laugh today?
Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 165 times

Postby govno90 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Selador wrote:
how's this.

cheers

That worked.

The images don't.

The reason is as Joe Isuzu said. The images are not on this forum. They are uploaded elsewhere, and then linked to.

The problem is that the links no longer work. Either there is a problem at the other site. Or the pics have been removed from that site. Or something similar.

the pictures are still up on the photo site. i read this whole thread on "how do you post pictures" and everyone writes that you need to go through another site such as "photobucket". if you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that a few other photos from other members are not showing either. is it because there is a time limit on how long photos can be "linked" or "posted"?

cheers, john
it's OK for you too!

currently building 3.4L -(built, but not yet installed) -(installed, but not yet running) -(finally running, but not properly)
govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:09 pm

govno90 wrote:the pictures are still up on the photo site. i read this whole thread on "how do you post pictures" and everyone writes that you need to go through another site such as "photobucket". if you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that a few other photos from other members are not showing either. is it because there is a time limit on how long photos can be "linked" or "posted"?

cheers, john

I don't use other sites. I just upload directly to this forum.

But I can pass on what I have gathered from others over time.

Some sites do have a 'time limit'. Som 'time limits' are simply a matter of whether you have actually visited their site and done anything with your pics for a certain amount of time.

Some sites like to change the 'url' of the pics from time to time. Some sites will try to add some kind of ad, or a 'click-through', and that may be the reason for the url change.

Etc.

All, reasons not to use a third site to host your pics.

Just use the "Upload Attatchment" button below the edit box, here, and upload pics directly from your computer to the forum.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Selador wrote:
govno90 wrote:the pictures are still up on the photo site. i read this whole thread on "how do you post pictures" and everyone writes that you need to go through another site such as "photobucket". if you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that a few other photos from other members are not showing either. is it because there is a time limit on how long photos can be "linked" or "posted"?

cheers, john

I don't use other sites. I just upload directly to this forum.

But I can pass on what I have gathered from others over time.

Some sites do have a 'time limit'. Som 'time limits' are simply a matter of whether you have actually visited their site and done anything with your pics for a certain amount of time.

Some sites like to change the 'url' of the pics from time to time. Some sites will try to add some kind of ad, or a 'click-through', and that may be the reason for the url change.

Etc.

All, reasons not to use a third site to host your pics.

Just use the "Upload Attatchment" button below the edit box, here, and upload pics directly from your computer to the forum.

are you talking about the "upload attachment" tab next to the "options" tab at the bottom of the "reply" page?
if it is, what do you do there? do you type in the # of the photo?
thanks for the help

cheers, john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 pm

govno90 wrote: are you talking about the "upload attachment" tab next to the "options" tab at the bottom of the "reply" page?
if it is, what do you do there? do you type in the # of the photo?
thanks for the help

cheers, john

Yes.

When you click on that, an area opens up that has a button labeled "browse"

If you click on "browse", another, smaller window will open. Use this window to 'browse' on your computer, to find the file you want to upload.

Click once on that filename. Then hit the button at the lower right that says "Open".

That will select the file to be uploaded to the forum. And the small window will close.

Now you will see your filename in the box beside "browse".

At this point, you can add a comment by using the "File comment" box below it. I don't use that box. Just makes things confusing for some people.

Now you can hit the "Add the file" button, and the file will be uploaded to the forum.

Once uploaded, the page will reload, and you will see your filename below the reply box. You can leave it alone, and it will appear at the bottom of the post. Or you can click somewhere in your post, and then hit the "Place inline" button. In which case, the pic will appear at the point where you clicked in the post.

Note that JPG's are probably best. But that PNG's will work as well, on this forum.

Also note that for best viewing on this forum, editing your picture to be 800 wide, before you upload it, is a good idea.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 pm

thanks Jeff
when i get home this evening, i'll try your method with one picture first.
if this does work, and i'm sure it will, the problem i foresee is trying to match up the proper photos i have with the captions i have already written down. that, and a few of the photos i have/had posted up came from an old computer i had in which all of the photos i had were lost in cyberspace. so some of the captions might say "as you can see, i've done so-and-so" but you won't have any photo to corolate with.
i'll do the best i can though.
cheers, john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby govno90 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Jeff
OK. i tried your suggestion but i was not able to upload a photo that way. i'm sure i'm doing something wrong.

i went to the "upload attachment" tab. i hit "choose file" and i picked out one photo from my photo file then hit "add the file". after about a minute up popped the words "photo size could not be determined" in red letters (as if it were a warning). i checked the size of the photo, and it was 917 X 580. i know 800 X ___ is best, but would that 100 pixel difference stop it from loading?

anymore help is appreciated. i'd like to get my photos back up.

thanks, john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm

govno90 wrote:Jeff
OK. i tried your suggestion but i was not able to upload a photo that way. i'm sure i'm doing something wrong.

i went to the "upload attachment" tab. i hit "choose file" and i picked out one photo from my photo file then hit "add the file". after about a minute up popped the words "photo size could not be determined" in red letters (as if it were a warning). i checked the size of the photo, and it was 917 X 580. i know 800 X ___ is best, but would that 100 pixel difference stop it from loading?

anymore help is appreciated. i'd like to get my photos back up.

thanks, john

"photo size could not be determined"

You get that message when you try to attach a pic from somewhere on the internet, and the forum software was unable to directly access it.

You have done something that has redirected the upload browse to somewhere other than directly on your computer.

Or maybe you have a firewall that is preventing the forum from reaching the file to upload it ?

Secondly, are you sure you are using the "upload attachment" tab ?

The button that you use to choose a file from your computer, is called "Browse". Not "choose file".
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 pm

"photo size could not be determined"
yes, that's what comes up. you're saying that the photo is somewhere on the internet, but if it's on my desktop, isn't on my computer? if they are in my computers photo library, doesn't that automatically put them in my computer?
and yes, you're right, it says "browse" not "choose file".

thank, john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:35 pm

govno90 wrote:"photo size could not be determined"
yes, that's what comes up. you're saying that the photo is somewhere on the internet, but if it's on my desktop, isn't on my computer? if they are in my computers photo library, doesn't that automatically put them in my computer?
and yes, you're right, it says "browse" not "choose file".

thank, john

Sounds like you are doing it right, and the photo is on your desktop.

The only things I can think of to cause this problem then, is that you have a firewall or something that is blocking the forum from actually accessing the pic...

Or, what is on your desktop, is just a link to the pic, and is not the actual pic itself.

Other than that, I am at a loss.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 pm

nope. not a link. an actual photo taken from my photos folder all uploaded from a camera.
cheers
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 pm

govno90 wrote:the pictures are still up on the photo site. i read this whole thread on "how do you post pictures" and everyone writes that you need to go through another site such as "photobucket".
Of course they say that. Notice the dates. That was in 2004. In 2004, this forum software did not have the "Add attachment" feature. Look at some later posts.
govno90 wrote:if you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that a few other photos from other members are not showing either. is it because there is a time limit on how long photos can be "linked" or "posted"?
I think Jeff said it a little differently, but same thing--It's because the photos are no longer at the location--they may be moved, removed, or just no longer accessible.
govno90 wrote:nope. not a link. an actual photo taken from my photos folder all uploaded from a camera.
cheers
I'm with Jeff. Are you sure this isn't just a shortcut to the actual photo? I have never heard of that error when uploading attached images, but definitely when trying to use remotely hosted ones.

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby govno90 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:58 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
govno90 wrote:nope. not a link. an actual photo taken from my photos folder all uploaded from a camera.
cheers
I'm with Jeff. Are you sure this isn't just a shortcut to the actual photo? I have never heard of that error when uploading attached images, but definitely when trying to use remotely hosted ones.

Jack

ok. i'll retry with a photo that i 100% know is directly from my camera to computer.

john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm

govno90 wrote:ok. i'll retry with a photo that i 100% know is directly from my camera to computer.

john

How do you get pictures from your camera to the computer ?
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:54 pm

with USB cable. i have an iMac, so the photos get put into iPhoto directly. (don't me any Mac crap :wink: )
john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 am

govno90 wrote:with USB cable. i have an iMac, so the photos get put into iPhoto directly. (don't me any Mac crap :wink: )
john

Ok, so while the camera is hooked up to the computer, via the usb cable... Can you browse to, and look at the pics while they are still on the camera ?

Also, what do you use for a broswer ? (What do you use to see the forum on your mac ?)
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Selador wrote:Ok, so while the camera is hooked up to the computer, via the usb cable... Can you browse to, and look at the pics while they are still on the camera ?

yes i can

Selador wrote: what do you use for a broswer ? (What do you use to see the forum on your mac ?)

safari (latest version)
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 pm

govno90 wrote:
Selador wrote:Ok, so while the camera is hooked up to the computer, via the usb cable... Can you browse to, and look at the pics while they are still on the camera ?

yes i can

Selador wrote: what do you use for a broswer ? (What do you use to see the forum on your mac ?)

safari (latest version)

Is it possible for you to use firefox ?

If so, use firefox to try to upload a picture.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby govno90 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:04 pm

ok! i'm back at trying to put my photos back up in their respective posts.
if you recall from a few posts ago, first i tried uploading photos from my computer photo app "iphoto". that did not work. then i tried uploading photos directly from my computer desktop and i got the "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" warning.
this time i tried uploading the photos from my photo sharing site "fotki" and i got the same warning.
so that is 3 different ways that i have tried to put my photos back up here. Jeff says try Firefox, do you think that will help? it seems to me that the site, planetisuzoo, won't let me post up the photos. :?: :?:

john

(edit)
i just tried uploading one of my photos using Firefox. same thing. i get the "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" warning again. any other ideas??

john
Last edited by govno90 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:28 pm

govno90 wrote:then i tried uploading photos directly from my computer desktop and i got the "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" warning.
That error only happens when the photos are on a remote site--or possibly if the image file's EXIF data is corrupted.
govno90 wrote:this time i tried uploading the photos from my photo sharing site "fotki" and i got the same warning.

John, that's not "uploading" at all. That's actually "embedding" them. Sounds like someone with a Mac needs to weigh in, if they haven't already.

WAIT A MINUTE! You have an avatar image in your profile, and it's an uploaded one--not a remote one. HOW DID YOU UPLOAD THAT? That's the same process.

Jack
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Postby govno90 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
govno90 wrote:then i tried uploading photos directly from my computer desktop and i got the "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" warning.
That error only happens when the photos are on a remote site--or possibly if the image file's EXIF data is corrupted.

Jack

but if they are on my computer desktop or on my "iphoto" then they are not a remote site. to get them to a remote site, they have to be in your computer, right? just like on a Windows system, if they are in your "my photos" section, then they are in the computer. (i think)

john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby govno90 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:WAIT A MINUTE! You have an avatar image in your profile, and it's an uploaded one--not a remote one. HOW DID YOU UPLOAD THAT? That's the same process.

Jack

yes. i've noticed that. i did that thru the planetisuzoo control panel, but as i stated before, i retried uploading my photos from the control panel and that warning came up.

john
it's OK for you too!

govno90
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 am

govno90 wrote:but if they are on my computer desktop or on my "iphoto" then they are not a remote site. to get them to a remote site, they have to be in your computer, right? just like on a Windows system, if they are in your "my photos" section, then they are in the computer. (i think)

john

John,

The message you keep getting is caused by the fact that you are still not getting directly to the photo.

I can only guess that "My Photos"... Is not where the pics are. That will be just a link to where the photo actually is. ("Guess", because I do not have a mac.)

Whether that is the case or not... YOu are not actually getting directly to the picture, when you use the browse button.

Do this... Pick out a picture name.

Now open the search for files function on your computer. (I have no idea what that is, on a mac.)

Put that picture name in. And search for that file. You may find more than one place that that file is in. And I am guessing that it is actually only in one place, but is linked to, in the other place or places.

What you need to do is to find where the file actually IS... And not just where is "seems" to be.

Once you figure that out, and direct the 'browse' function in the file uploader, to it... It should upload.

Alternatively... On your computer.... Go to your camera. Find the picture you want to upload. Now highlight that filename, and choose to COPY it to your desktop. And make sure the picture itself is being copied there, and not just a link to it.

Now try to upload to here from your desktop.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Rides