Raph's 93 Rodeo in Arizona

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Raph's 93 Rodeo in Arizona

Postby Raphouse » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello PlanetIsuzoo!

My wife and I are frequent hikers and we are always looking for new spots to explore out here in beautiful Arizona. After banging around dirt roads in the Prius long enough we decided we needed a high clearance SUV to tackle the tough stuff. We considered a lot of different makes and models but ended up settling on the idea of a Trooper or Rodeo. It's hard to beat the reliability and capability for the incredibly small amount of money they cost.

We found an Blue 1993 Rodeo listed for $750 locally. Of course, we thought this suspiciously cheap but decided to take a look just in case. After seeing how clean it was and driving it I realized it would require some serious elbow grease but this was definitely an amazing deal. After some gentle persuasion, I was driving it home minus 600 bones :D . No complaints. The guy who owned it said he bought it in an auction and it clearly hadn't been washed in at least a year or more. He also didnt know anything about the maintenance besides the annoying clicking sound it emitted from the top of the motor (which was the reason for the screaming price). I suspect it is the notorious valve train noise I have read so much about recently. I ordered a jug of Mobile 1 10W30 and Royal Purple oil filter, hopefully that quiets it down some (any feedback on that issue would be appreciated!!). I'm going to change the oil after work today

Over the weekend, I did a complete detail. Which included a wash and Carnauba hand wax, vaccuum and shampooed the seats, clean and scrape off all the tint. That easily took up the weekend but it came out fantastic :laughing6: , Ill be posting pics later. Plans are to do a completed tune up and tint job over the next month or so as I can afford. I've made a list of everything I want to replace including timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, plug wires, coil packs, radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, ac compressor (not working currently), air filter and fuel filter. Any suggestions on other wear parts I should replace will be appreciated please.

Arizona gets hot so I want to make sure she doesnt break down on us out in BFE!! Thats why I'm upgrading to a mishimoto radiator mainly, I need to run the A/C during 110 plus degree days. Should I added an additional oil cooler? I dont know how cool these trucks run and I dont want to find out the hard way. Speaking of being stranded, I realized after purchase it was 2wd, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bummer x 1000. I will be throwing a locker and manual hubs in as the very first mod after maintenance is done. She's got a slight lift and 31's at the moment so I think Ill be ok on easy trails once that locker is installed. By the way, anyone know a reputable mechanic with decent labor rates in Mesa, Az? I can install some of the easier stuff but I'll need to hire someone for the more intense jobs like the compressor and locker.

Hope to post lots of trail pics once I'm out exploring with the family. Thanks for reading my rambles. :color:
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Raph's 93 Rodeo in Arizona

Postby Raphouse » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Before the weekend long detail. Ill post better pics this weekend of the paint and interior with a better camera
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Postby itsmehb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Welcome here, not a better place exists for Isuzu owners. You don't say if you have the v-6 but I'm thinking you do as you mentioned the valve tic that many have. Just turn up the radio. Works every time. If it's an auto do not overlook getting the tranny serviced. Some of the auto's do not have a dip stick, and they have to be serviced with the fluid warm and the engine running. The tranny's worst enemy would be running low on fluid, overheating and stress from towing a trailer, boat, etc. Looks like you have a good start, and really you only need the 4x4 for the harder trails. Just kidding on the valve tic, but it's really not a problem.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

For this post the author itsmehb was thanked by:
Raphouse
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 195 times

Postby Georgia159.com » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

I like that color Rodeo. Wished I could find one.
I paid $580 for my daily driver Rodeo... 3 years and 110K ago!
199? Rodeo (ISO of my next project truck- being picky)
1997 Rodeo 2WD 3.2 V6 Auto (4-1-13 - Purchased for $580. Best deal ever. My DD.)
1994 Rodeo LS 2WD 3.2 V6 Auto (2015 - Bought for Parts, but still running! The Backup.)
1997 Honda Passport 2WD 3.2 V6 Auto (2015 - Parts donor - PM if you need something)

For this post the author Georgia159.com was thanked by:
Raphouse
Georgia159.com
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Raphouse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks for the info itsmehb. The motor is the 3.2 V6 with a standard tranny. I also read the ticking could be a bad bearing in the AC compressor as well. I dont think it's a rod knock or piston slap but who knows, it's making good power so I'm inclined to think there isn't anything catostophic wrong with it. I must add, these motors feel awful torquey, reminds me of my old 5.0 mustang. The oil finally arrived from Amazon today so let's see it some good Mobile One will appease the Isuzu gods of the ticking. :blob2: :blob3: :evil2: :evil1: :happy10:
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Postby Raphouse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Nope, definitely not a simple fix. Turns out it's a rod knock. Time to order a long block. I found one for 1500 with a 3 year warranty from SW Engines, anyone have luck with those guys? Anyone have a longblock in good shape they wanna sell me?
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Return to Member's Rides