So this is technically my second Isuzu Trooper. About 2 months ago, I purchased a 93 Trooper S Automatic for $250. I managed to get it running and driving well, and began to modify it, adding Superwinch hubs and beginning to stockpile a load of parts for it.
Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago - although I salvaged it temporarily, I was not comfortable with the long term prospects of the 4L30 that was in my truck, and sold it.
That same evening, I drove 2 hours and purchased a 1994 Trooper S 5-Speed off of a Craigslist ad in New Orleans, LA.
This is the 2nd Trooper.
THUS BEGINS ZULANDR'S JOURNEY.
As it worked out, I was not able to have both Troopers together at the same time to exchange parts, so the new Trooper has some cosmetic issues that need tending to. Most notably rashed paint, and a busted out rear door window that someone did a good job of replacing with Lexan sheet.
As I mentioned, I had already begun amassing parts to put together a functional overland rig that would be acceptable as a travel vehicle and a daily driver (albeit with crap fuel economy.)
- I purchased a Yakima Megawarrior rack, and added the mid-basket extension. This should give me a basket with full coverage across the roof.
- Additionally, I purchased the Yakima Hi-Lift Jack Mount, Shovel Mount, and 4 Lighting Mount Brackets. (I will be running 7" KC HiLiTES across the front)
- I opted for the Surco Products TR100 roof mounting adapters and 53" roof rails.
- Went with a sPOD relay management system. I will be mounting the switchblock on the shifter surround between the shifter and the center console.
- On Facebook, I found a gentleman in Iceland who makes well-built rear door ladders for $150USD shipped to your door. I purchased one. (It is currently primered, I need to sand and spray black)
- I opted for a set of Falken Wildpeak ATW3 tires in 285/75/16, and painted a set of stock steel wheels.
- I will be rebuilding the front and rear suspension. I am completely replacing the front upper control arms, rebushing the front lower arms, new ball joints, sway bar end links with greaseable poly sway bushings. In addition, I decided on doing an Old Man Emu lift - using 929 Springs and Nitrocharger shocks.
- Adding a snorkel.
As you can see, the pile of stuff continues to grow -
The first real modification I've had time to do was the wheels and tires. I used Rustoleum Metallic Copper on the wheels with grey primer underneath. I had the wheels sandblasted prior to painting.
The Falkens were a bitch to mount to the wheels - my tire shop buddy said these steel wheels dont have much of a stepdown, so its tough to work the tire on. However, the tires/wheels alone did a number on improving the look of this rig!
Looking forward to doing more over the next few weeks!