ZULANDR™ - 1994 Isuzu Trooper Overland Build - Louisiana

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

ZULANDR™ - 1994 Isuzu Trooper Overland Build - Louisiana

Postby Gumbeaux » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 pm

So this is technically my second Isuzu Trooper. About 2 months ago, I purchased a 93 Trooper S Automatic for $250. I managed to get it running and driving well, and began to modify it, adding Superwinch hubs and beginning to stockpile a load of parts for it.

Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago - although I salvaged it temporarily, I was not comfortable with the long term prospects of the 4L30 that was in my truck, and sold it.
That same evening, I drove 2 hours and purchased a 1994 Trooper S 5-Speed off of a Craigslist ad in New Orleans, LA.

This is the 2nd Trooper.

THUS BEGINS ZULANDR'S JOURNEY.

As it worked out, I was not able to have both Troopers together at the same time to exchange parts, so the new Trooper has some cosmetic issues that need tending to. Most notably rashed paint, and a busted out rear door window that someone did a good job of replacing with Lexan sheet.

As I mentioned, I had already begun amassing parts to put together a functional overland rig that would be acceptable as a travel vehicle and a daily driver (albeit with crap fuel economy.)

- I purchased a Yakima Megawarrior rack, and added the mid-basket extension. This should give me a basket with full coverage across the roof.
- Additionally, I purchased the Yakima Hi-Lift Jack Mount, Shovel Mount, and 4 Lighting Mount Brackets. (I will be running 7" KC HiLiTES across the front)
- I opted for the Surco Products TR100 roof mounting adapters and 53" roof rails.
- Went with a sPOD relay management system. I will be mounting the switchblock on the shifter surround between the shifter and the center console.
- On Facebook, I found a gentleman in Iceland who makes well-built rear door ladders for $150USD shipped to your door. I purchased one. (It is currently primered, I need to sand and spray black)
- I opted for a set of Falken Wildpeak ATW3 tires in 285/75/16, and painted a set of stock steel wheels.
- I will be rebuilding the front and rear suspension. I am completely replacing the front upper control arms, rebushing the front lower arms, new ball joints, sway bar end links with greaseable poly sway bushings. In addition, I decided on doing an Old Man Emu lift - using 929 Springs and Nitrocharger shocks.
- Adding a snorkel.

As you can see, the pile of stuff continues to grow -

The first real modification I've had time to do was the wheels and tires. I used Rustoleum Metallic Copper on the wheels with grey primer underneath. I had the wheels sandblasted prior to painting.
The Falkens were a bitch to mount to the wheels - my tire shop buddy said these steel wheels dont have much of a stepdown, so its tough to work the tire on. However, the tires/wheels alone did a number on improving the look of this rig!

Looking forward to doing more over the next few weeks!

For this post the author Gumbeaux was thanked by:
RickP
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Re: ZULANDR™ - 1994 Isuzu Trooper Overland Build - Louisiana

Postby itsmehb » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Nice looking rig, and I like someone trying something other than black on wheels, right on.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 195 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks man! I figured I'm gonna have enough black stuff on the truck, the wheels could be a good place to do something different.
Plus, the copper felt like it would match that Cranberry Mica paint.

The truck could use a respray, and that'll probably be last on the list. But seeing it with the wheels has convinced me to keep the same color.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby ZooMaster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 am

Nice score and good luck with the build! Can't wait to see pics of the ladder cause I've always wondered if they're was a set for the gen 2s
Last edited by ZooMaster on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Isuzu Trooper (145k/2016)
ZooMaster
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Little details always help.

Decided to ditch the body color & chrome exterior door handles, and go with some textured black replacement handles made by Dorman.

Got them in today - they look well made and should help give a little bit more visual toughness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

So I've run into a bit of an issue.

I'll tear it apart tonight, but - for the past week or so, I've heard noises consistent with worn out control arm bushings in the front end. A rattle basically, coming from both front wheel areas.
No biggie - I ordered control arms and bushings and was going to simply tackle that and sway bar bushings all at the same time.

However, I climbed underneath today to begin getting an idea of what was going to need doing, and to my chagrin - I grabbed the CV shafts, and they were flopping around in the wheel hubs!
I am guessing the C-Clip sheared apart and let the front axles flop around.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby hessmess » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:12 pm

It is a good thing you found that before you needed the 4WD, the clips might be floating around in the grease when you pull the hubs caps off.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 140 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Ended up swapping hubs last night - popped the autolockers off and the c-clip reminants fell on the ground! LOL

Put new Superwinches on last night. Managed to do this before there was too much carnage to the CV axle ends.
Then today I painted and installed my rear ladder rack.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby 93stormtrooper » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am

I have the 93 trooper s 5 speed. I love it! I also really like the color scheme you're going with! I have the arb front bumper and smittybuild xrc 9k winch, I really wish someone would come out with a rear bumber to match! For your roof rack, is it a bolt on or the clip on version that clips to the side of the roof? Is there a bolt on out there? I know there is a post on here somewhere where a guy made his own and it came out awesome.
1993 Trooper, 3.2 SOHC, 5 speed, auto hubs

Luck can change. Skills will last a lifetime if you dont get lazy.
93stormtrooper
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Gumbeaux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks a bunch!

I used the TR100 Trooper Rack adapter from Surco, which is the only company that makes a bracket to fit the factory boltholes. I also went with the Surco 53" crossbars to make life easier with using the Surco mounts.

https://i.imgur.com/2UoXlzQ.jpg

I ended up using a Yakima Megawarrior basket with TWO mid-section extensions. (I had planned on only using one, but when I went to install the Yakima retaining clamps, I did not have enough room - the crossbars ended up being nearly the length of the rack apart. The 2nd extension made life easier, and it doesn't look TOO awkward.)

So if you are looking for a rear bumper, Joe Darlington can custom manufacture a rear for you. If it were in my budget id do that, but I will probably just raptor line the rear bumper for looks, and go with a ARB front with a Bulldog winch.

This is how she looks after I installed the rack for my lunch break - I am going to install my black spline drive lugs before I leave work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby ZooMaster » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Gumbeaux wrote:Image

Love the ladder! if i end up keep my trooper (or just getting another) i'll definitely have to get one. How does it mount to the door?
2000 Isuzu Trooper (145k/2016)
ZooMaster
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Its a great ladder - a guy named Craig on Facebook makes them in Iceland for $150USD shipped to your door, but they come unfinished so you will need to paint it.

It hooks to the top of the door and hangs down. Then he uses 2 clamps at the bottom that are screwed in by brass allen-head bolts. It fits well.

It does not support me, but I am above 250lbs. I did not expect to hold me, but considering there isnt much space to work with, I was prepared for that.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Bleh. Stuff. :wink:

Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Added the Dorman textured door handles today.

Also found my front speakers are blown out, and I get the feeling that replacing the speakers is going to suck, since there is a molded recess the speakers sit in. Who makes 6.5's that fit there? Or do I need to step down to 6.25" speakers?
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Upped my awning game with an ARB 2500MM awning. Basically 8.5' by 8.5' coverage area. Got to build mount brackets this afternoon.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby superman27344 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Looks great!

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Trail Master

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Got the ARB awning mounted! Works great! Zero wind noise at 70mph as well, which is a double bonus.

Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Things are progressing. Snorkel installed.
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Took ol' girl out to an off-road expo yesterday. Awning worked great!

Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby BigSwede » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:41 pm

I suppose that shade will come in handy in Louisiana... I have an awning but generally only put it up if it looks like rain.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 251 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 am

Haha definitely. I was a popular guy on Saturday for sure. LOL
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby SAS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

You weren't joking when you said you've collected bits to build--all that done in a couple of weeks! Nice work!
Trooper & Land Cruiser Enthusiast
trailsoffroad.com
SAS
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby Gumbeaux » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks man! Still have quite a bit to do with the parts I have here. Then I have to save up for more stuff. LOL
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Lets see how much of this I can get done with today.

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5958BAD2
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Postby Gumbeaux » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:06 pm

We about to start seeing things clearly...

Four 7" Heise LED Lamps across the top, because why the hell not?
Gumbeaux
Drives on Dirt

Next

Return to Member's Rides