Chihuahua's Troopers

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Chihuahua's Troopers

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Ok so here they are;
An 86 Trooper 2 door & 87 4 door
My plan is to gut the 87 and completely overhaul the 86
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Chihuahua's Troopers

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:03 pm

86 engine, so frikkin jerry rigged
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:07 pm

87 has a lot of body rust
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:13 pm

I died when I popped the hood! So many good parts!
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:15 pm

I felt that the 86 has some great bones to build on, and almost no body rust. The 87 basically has everything the 86 doesn't. I feel lucky finding a pair that match up so well.
So here they are, folks. I Plan starting work on tearing down both tomorrow :)
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:03 am

Today I ended up spending more time than I thought getting my garage cleared out lol. The 86 has some seriously poopy redneck customizations like a choke where the cig lighter was, and drywall screws holding in super ghetto "custom" door trim. Pics of this nightmare tomorrow. Unless I die tonight from too much dust inhalation. More pics tomorrow.
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby 92TXTrooper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:34 am

Great looking troopers! would you mind measuring the wheel base on your 86 2door? its from center of front hub to center of rear hub. also would you mind posting a photo of the door jam and engine bay ID plate? your 86 looks more like the 89 rs in the photos you posted.
92 Trooper S 3.2 SOHC 5-SPEED, 235/85r15 Cooper ST MAXX.
92TXTrooper
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby trooper4kids » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Chihuahua! I live in northern Colorado as well. I remember seeing the blue Trooper on Craigslist and thinking it sounded like a great deal for parts. Glad to see it used instead of simply melted down! Have fun with your project!
1995 Trooper - first Troop long time ago, sold when 3rd child arrived
1994 Trooper - SOHC, 5 Spd, oldest child's first car
1993 Trooper RS -my DD, DOHC, 5 Spd, bought after driving first kid's rig, realized how much I used to like first Troop!
1998 Trooper - 3.5L oil burner, 5 Spd, 2nd child's car
1999 Trooper - 3.5L needs attention, 5 Spd, 15 YO son's future driver
1993 Trooper RS - DOHC, 5 Spd/blown clutch, significant body damage, not sure whether to modify or strip and crush
trooper4kids
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:43 am

Thanks to both you guys. Apologies for no more pics, weather/work getting in the way. I'm off sun/mon so I'll be digging into these trucks then. First things I want to do are a wheel and bumper swap. I know my end product will be a confusing 86/87 mix of body parts, but I like the 87's wheels, chrome handles and bumpers.
In regards to the 86, the vin matches for an 86, but I'll get you measurements and vin plate in a day or so.
Yeah the 87 I got off craigslist :) He even flatbed towed it here from Longmont! Only $400 for the whole thing, I felt guilty lol so I gave him an extra $25 for gas when he got here. Apparently his wife was up his butt sideways to get rid of it lol. Btw if anyone needs the 2nd row doors, let me know :) they have the inner panels and cranks, but left rear door has no inner lever.
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:52 am

The 86 is so stripped down under the hood, the vin plate is missing. Door and dash plates all match though. I was planning on taking a bunch of pics today, but now we got a super crazy windstorm today. :(
Weather lately really sucks around here. Maybe this afternoon won't be so bad, we'll see.
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Postby RickP » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:16 am

I saw your ad on Craigslist for the front bumper when I was out in CO for work and didn't realize it was yours until I saw your pics. Looking forward to your progress.
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby FerociousChihuahua » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 am

Got the wheels swapped, unfortunately the spare on the donor truck was cracked bad from heat. Got the 87 up on jack stands now (the rear shock mounts really get in the way of getting a stand positioned!)
FerociousChihuahua
Drives on Gravel

Return to Member's Rides