Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Build Thread - 97 Rodeo 3.2L V6 Automatic 4WD

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  PPCLI-JIM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all!

I've found many helpful and inspiring build threads on here so thought I'd go ahead and do my own. Since I've started following this forum, its really got me motivated to get some things done on my rig. So here it goes. Any suggestions or Do's/Don'ts are greatly appreciated. This is currently my daily driver and I'm hoping to make her more off road worthy as well. I intend to do all the work myself... we'll see how that goes.

What I started with:

1997 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 Automatic with 155k miles on it. All stock as far as I can tell.
-Had pretty small 225/65/R16 tires on it and the brush guard was slightly bent along with hood, grill, and driver side fender.
-4WD didn't work and AC didn't work.

What I've done so far:

-Replaced radiator that had a slow leak... probably due to whatever front end collision also did the body damage.
-Put new tires on it. 265/75/R16 Dean Back Country.
-Installed 2" trailer hitch
-Replaced a bad vacuum hose in the 4WD SOTF VSV system... that didn't get my 4WD working though.
-Got a VSV from pick-n-pull and cleaned and installed it... that did get my 4WD working, but its a bit intermittent. Thinking to test the vacuum system/repair if needed and do a more thorough cleaning of the VSV.
-Replaced the driver side power widow motor that died shortly after buying the vehicle.
-Replaced the passenger side window glass because someone broke into the rig and broke the window out to due so. Stole about $50 worth of wrenches and decorations my wife bought for our daughters 1st birthday. Not cool.
-Replaced driver side tail light cluster thanks to some idiot who clipped my rig while it was parked.

What I'd like to do:

-Replace leaking valve cover gasket and figure I'll do the intake manifold gaskets while I have her opened up. Anything else I should do while I have it opened up? Suggestions appreciated.
-Fix that annoying knock that seems to plague these rigs. The '97 has "self adjusting" valves according to my Haynes manual so not too sure what to do about that...Suggestions?
-Fix AC... already have new condenser and drier, just need to install. Waiting for that whole AC project to do it though.
-Get my 4WD SOTF fully functional... Hoping this is just the VSV or vacuum hoses.
-Do all high mileage maintenance. Differential fluids, Transfer case fluids, Transmission filter and fluids, fuel filter etc.
-Take care of all body damage... straiten out brush car and repaint it, grill, fender, hood. Front bumper is appears to be slightly pushed back/up so may replace that. Basically clean her up a bit.
-3" lift via torsion bar adjustment/shocks in the front and add a leaf/shackle and shocks in the rear. Have found helpful threads on this already but any input is appreciated.
-New stereo. Currently all stock. New deck, speakers and I have an old sub I'd like to put back into service... Any info on a good place to hide a 10" sub is appreciated.
-Tint the windows
-Clean up the interior... carpet and possibly seats. Get all interior lights working again.

Did I forget anything? probably... I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Here's some pics taken today of the current state of my rig:

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

I've got some things in the works and will be following up shortly with updates.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Minor upgrade today. Found someone parting out a 95 Passport with a clean body and same color as mine. Pulled the fender flares and installed on my rig. Always liked the look of these so was glad to find a clean/complete set. Probably going to pull the driver side fender, hood, and grill assembly (would swap my isuzu badge onto it) to replace the banged up parts on my rig.

Anyone know if the power window motor/regulator from a 95 Passport will work in my 97 rodeo? Both my rear windows need new motor/regulator.

Here's pics of fender flares:

IMG_5080.jpg

File Feb 20, 10 33 08 AM.jpeg

Attachments

#3 ·
yes the regulators etc will fit 95 - 97 to gain that much lift it will be an idea to think about a dif drop and ball joint spacers. mod in the future as cranking the Tbars will be adjusting your camber and stressing the CVs . speaking of CVs you might want to open them up and check them out change the grease. as a do it now and see if theres any issues you might want to know about. type deal. I will be lifting my 97 rodeo The PAVEMENT PRINCESS ROWDAYO. Yours looks pretty nice BTW. 8)

#4 ·
PPCLI-JIM said:
yes the regulators etc will fit 95 - 97 to gain that much lift it will be an idea to think about a dif drop and ball joint spacers. mod in the future as cranking the Tbars will be adjusting your camber and stressing the CVs . speaking of CVs you might want to open them up and check them out change the grease. as a do it now and see if theres any issues you might want to know about. type deal. I will be lifting my 97 rodeo The PAVEMENT PRINCESS ROWDAYO. Yours looks pretty nice BTW. 8)
Thanks Jim! Appreciate the input about the window regulators/motors, Lifting, and CV considerations.

I've read up on the differential drop and ball joint spacers. Been considering just doing 1.5" lift to keep camber issues to a minimum and do the ball joint spacers. Plus its easier on my pocket book. We'll see how it looks and how the camber/alignment ends up. Gotta tend to some mechanical stuff first.

I noticed the passenger side CV makes a popping sound when turning in 4WD. Our last snow storm revealed that. I'm inclined to just replace both.

Pavement Princess Rowdayo... nice one! :lol:

#5 ·
Yes the PPR if you flip to my thread you will see I am also the proud owner of a 88 trooper that im trying to make into a fully awesome Post zombie apocolypse Adventure Expedition buggy. That thing I'm not afraid to take anywhere the PPR, yes I have not put a ding in it yet after a year of owning it. The PPR i will be doing much the same you are, just making a good vehicle more capable without going to any extremes that change into a nightmare. Ill be adding a winch along with the mild lift maybe a raised storage area so i can camp out inside. but thats it. Mechanical stuff fixing is always good . once you get rid of those annoying mysterious (INSERT PEEVE HERE) means you can enjoy it more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.