04 Cooper S engine swap

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

04 Cooper S engine swap

Postby Ricky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 am

Here are some pics of my current project. I've had this car for about 4 years, and its been rock solid with the exception of all of the stuff which break on all of them. Its got a fat Hotchkiss rear swaybar, some sticky tires, cold air box. Just as I wrapped up my trooper the car started to overheat a bit. I took it into a shop who told me it was a bad cap on the reservoir. Within a day of getting the car back I pulled out of my office only to have an immediate loss of power, and lots of grinding. The next part I blame myself for. You see the waterpump is driven by the supercharger on these cars. So I assumed the noise was a bad supercharger. I went out and bought a core to be rebuilt. After spending 1500 to get the supercharger rebuilt. I put the new unit on the car, and then fired it up... Bad news.. Upon dropping the pan it was apparent that I had spun a bearing. Soo out comes the engine, and a used one goes in... another 1400 bucks. I was able to get an engine with a warranty so will just be running the piss out of it while I build up the old one. The is to have my old motor machined out to a 1.7, do a big valve head along with a cam. Here are some pics for you to check out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: 04 Cooper S engine swap

Postby N law » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:08 pm

When I was in high school, my dad got a 2001 mini, but not the super charged one. It was a blast of a little car to run around in. My buddy's folks got an S, so he always won. I got egged head on ours but luckily they all hit the windshield except for the one egg that hit the drivers mirror with the window down. I had egg all over my face and lost it :evil: They had a head start but I caught up to them. It was two cars, with the second being a jeep Cherokee jamming me from catching the egg tosser. My girlfriend at the time for her cop brother to run the jeep plates. The kid went to church with my now wife. Small world. My dad ended up selling it off after he tried cleaning the yoke off of the headliner. What a mess!

About 5 years ago, my same buddy and I rally raced his folks old school mini. I think it was a '67. It was a right hand drive with a positive ground system. He navigated and I drove, which was awesome! I really liked the old school ones.

Have you ever noticed that the exhaust is a coke can?
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby Ricky » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:19 am

Interesting stories. It's been a decent car but like all BMW products it rattles after 90k miles
Ricky
Drives in Mud

Postby Ricky » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:11 am

Despite not posting updates work has progressed on the Mini. I opened a can of worms with the decision to fix it for sure! TOTALLY bummed I didnt snatch up an r32 instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ricky
Drives in Mud

Postby Ricky » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Well the car has been finished for a few weeks, and I'm happy to report it's a screamer. I was able to pull several car lengths on a Boxster S coming home the other night. Next up is an ecu tune for the time being. Eventually I will be building the old engine into a 1.7 with a big valve head. It all comes down to money and time. Here's a pic of it in the shop with my Trooper. I spent the weekend hitting both of them with a bissel machine with simple green to get the carpets cleaned up. Along with some detailing.
Ricky
Drives in Mud

Return to Other Vehicles