04 GTP intermittent no power.

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

04 GTP intermittent no power.

Postby Von » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Electrical power, that is.

Twice I've gotten in it and there was no power at all. No lights, buzzers, dings... nada. Put the key, nuthin. First time it happened I just pulled the key out, reinserted and it cranked right up.... I noticed the fuel mileage counter was reset when it started.

Second time was Friday afternoon just before we left town for the night. I was going to roll the driver window up and it was deader than a doornail. Got in it yesterday afternoon and still nothing. Pulled key and reinserted and lights, buzzers and dings came up as usual but starter just clicked. Pulled key again, reinserted and it started right up.

I don't think it's a PassKey issue. Everything I've read on that indicates all lights and stuff work but it'll either not let the car start at all or will start and then shut off.
Battery and cables are about a year old and appear to still be good.
I was thinking a loose connection in the power distribution center under the hood. Maybe a relay of some sort going out? Or ignition switch?
I've been driving it a while but for the life of me can't remember what interior/dash lights come on when I open the door. And didn't notice at the time it happened if the dome lights were on or off. That might help me narrow it down to main power or ignition switch.

The reset fuel mileage counter makes me think main power. I checked all the connections at the box on the fender well, checked continuity and all the fuses. Gonna go back out and mess with relays... at least look busy. I don't know how to actually check relays. Could swap them around but if it's intermittent....
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Sponsor

Return to Other Vehicles