My new tow truck!

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: My new tow truck!

Postby reran » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 am

squatch wrote:I think I'm going with Coopers this time myself. Looking hard at the Cooper ST Maxx. Hybrid between AT + MT. Price local is pretty much the same as BFG AT's.

I ran the old Cooper STT MT's on the Powerwagon and liked them.

I'm considering going the ST Maxx for my next set as well. If you do go with these, let me know how they perform on the street and the snow/ice.

So how's the Tundra working out for you?

Leland
"As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

89 Trooper, 2.6L Turbo, AW 30-80LE
90 Spacecab LS 4wd, 2.6, 5spd
94 Trooper SE, 3.2 DOHC
Image Image
reran
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 18 times

Sponsor

Postby squatch » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Mostly it's fine. It carries the camper well and I've pulled the boat with the camper on through the hills here. No problems.

I'm getting the ST Maxx's installed tomorrow.

As for the snow and ice. I try to stay out of it now that I'm not working. Not worth the horrendous salt exposure. I have other vehicles for that.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 316 times

Postby squatch » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:04 pm

I now have new tires! Cooper ST MAXX LT265/70/r17 E. These are a hybrid between an AT and MT tire. Initial impressions are good. There is some noise. Not quite the hum of a full on MT. More like a soft whirring sound. But louder than a BFG AT KO2 for sure.

The ride is very nice. I might sorta feel a little bit more of the tiny stuff because of the stiff E rated tire. But the square edges of pot holes that had me cringing with the old P metrics just disappeared. Typical of moving up to a real truck tire.

With the P metrics there was a wandering twitch feeling to the steering wheel I didn't like. Kinda like if you looked away from the road and coughed you'd be in the ditch kinda thing. That has been replaced by a heavier solid feel. The tires are heavy and you can feel it a little. So what it's a truck. before I was concerned about taking the camper on a forest service road for fear of tire failure. Not now! :D

These are an inch taller than stock and same width.
Old(new) p 265/65/r17 Dunpops

New LT265/70/r17 Cooper ST MAXX.

Obviously I haven't reinstalled the center caps yet. It's been raining for 2 days. The tires felt solid in the rain. I did roll away from a stop and then punched it hard. The v8 had no trouble spinning the rears even with a real Limited Slip Differential.

I think I'm going to like these. They should haul the camper weight much better. Especially when the road gets rough! :D
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby TonkaToy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Very nice sir!
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2007 Ford Expedition
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS
Trooper wheelin video and pics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqIwcA14BQ
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... rooper4me/
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 20 times

Postby squatch » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:12 pm

I spent the last few days doing the 50k service on the truck. Along with this I installed a new Curt front receiver hitch. There seems to be 2 available for this truck. The Curt allows the front skid plate to be retained with a little trimming.

This flange needs to be slightly trimmed on both sides. I did it with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel.

The hitch uses the Tow hook mounting locations along with the drilling of one 1/2" hole on each side. The nutted bolt is the drilled one.

End result is a new hitch with tow loops built in.

Great place to mount my Superwinch 9,500lb Tigershark on a Bull Dog mount.

The winch has cables that are long enough to reach the battery along with a circuit breaker.

The problem is that I need an AGM battery preferably with dual marine posts on top. Unfortunately Toyota specs a Backwards terminal battery in it's trucks. It's not a group 27. It's a group 27F with flipped terminals. No one makes the battery I need in this configuration. And the cables wont reach a normal battery. So I'll either have to extend or replace the factory cables.

Next up is to install a 7 pin round pin commercial trailer wiring connector in the rear bumper and to install the Daystar cradles for my airbags.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:35 pm

squatch wrote:The problem is that I need an AGM battery preferably with dual marine posts on top. Unfortunately Toyota specs a Backwards terminal battery in it's trucks. It's not a group 27. It's a group 27F with flipped terminals. No one makes the battery I need in this configuration. And the cables wont reach a normal battery. So I'll either have to extend or replace the factory cables.

I got some pretty good deals on cables off Amazon, much better than local welding shop prices. Got 000 for the same price per foot as they wanted for 4 here. Nice, fine strand stuff too.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby squatch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I've got plenty of marine battery cable in various sizes. I just don't feel like taking 1/2 the engine compartment apart to do the job.

This place is great for cable prices.
http://www.bestboatwire.com/6-2-awg-mar ... -by-the-ft

I've bought a lot of Anderson connectors and other electrical hardware from this place.
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-connectors-sb50-50amp
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby squatch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I now have the Daystar airbag cradles installed. Normally the airbags are secured at both top and bottom. But the airbags don't have near the travel as the rear suspension. If the axle droops it can tear the bags or bend mounts.

With the truck frame on blocks I lowered the axle enough to do the work. Clearly shows the gap and the axle is NOT at full droop. Spring side bracket removed in this pic.

The cradles catch and hold the airbag in a cup.

Contact!. I raised the axle a little and added a little air to the bags to get everything touching and lined up before tightening up the lower mount.

I took it for a test ride with an empty truck and my normal empty setting of 6psi in the bags. Everything seemed fine and quiet. Today the camper goes back in the truck! :D
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby Hack » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Good luck. Have fun at GWNF.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 115 times

Postby squatch » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 pm

I hope to. The camper is now back on the truck.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Previous

Return to Other Vehicles