Need help from GM dudes (or dudettes) on ignition stuff

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Need help from GM dudes (or dudettes) on ignition stuff

Postby Johnthegoon » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm working on a small block chevy swap into my 2000 trooper and it's going ok so far. I've taken the carb off and am installing a TBI system. The motor came with a big HEI distributor but I don't have space for that. I swapped to a small-body HEI distributor that requires an external coil but has all the rest of the ignition module circuitry built in. It's essentially identical to this one: http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/det ... tem=6701-R

It has this wiring diagram, which is easy enough to follow:
readytorundiagram.jpg

I bought an accel 140011 external ignition coil that was a replacement for a GM TBI motor (which seemed logical at the time), but it's got a 4-lead hook-up, and all the diagrams I find online seem to indicate that it's designed to hook up to the ignition module circuitry that my distributor handles internally.

Does anyone know if I can use this ignition module with this distributor? I've googled for what seems like hours without any information about anybody else ever having done this... but it's too late to return the coil, so I'd like to use it if I can. If not, I can get a different one and sell the accel, but at this point though, it's more about education because I'm realizing I dont really know jack about ignition systems.

TIA if anyone knows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~John
Current zu: 2000 Trooper, SAS with V8 conversion, dual battery, homemade roof rack, homemade rear storage, DC-AC inverter, Custom hail damage - Bought in Oct 2010 w/ 151k.
Build threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67783 - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82355

Previous zu: 1992 Rodeo XS, 4x4 TBI V6 5-spd, Shackle lift and T-bar crank, on-board air. Bought Jan 2003 w/ 161k - given to a family @ church, winter 2006
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Sponsor

Re: Need help from GM dudes (or dudettes) on ignition stuff

Postby RickP » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm not a GM guy, but according to some quick Googling you should be able to use it just fine. One of the connectors is power and switched ground from the distributor and the other connector is for the tach. So in the pic below red would got to red+ from the distributor in your pic and white would go to the green- to the distributor.

For this post the author RickP was thanked by:
Johnthegoon
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Johnthegoon » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Man... Thank you!!! Without an ounce of sarcasm, I bow to your google skills. I must have looked at pages of incorrect diagrams, searched a dozen forums, the manufacturers website of both products and a dozen other related products, etc with no luck at all. Just for my sanity, what term did you search? I've been using networks since fidonet, and you made me look like a n00b. Thanks again!
~~John
Current zu: 2000 Trooper, SAS with V8 conversion, dual battery, homemade roof rack, homemade rear storage, DC-AC inverter, Custom hail damage - Bought in Oct 2010 w/ 151k.
Build threads: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67783 - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82355

Previous zu: 1992 Rodeo XS, 4x4 TBI V6 5-spd, Shackle lift and T-bar crank, on-board air. Bought Jan 2003 w/ 161k - given to a family @ church, winter 2006
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 Audi S5
2013 Honda Odyssey
Johnthegoon
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby RickP » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Johnthegoon wrote:Man... Thank you!!! Without an ounce of sarcasm, I bow to your google skills. I must have looked at pages of incorrect diagrams, searched a dozen forums, the manufacturers website of both products and a dozen other related products, etc with no luck at all. Just for my sanity, what term did you search? I've been using networks since fidonet, and you made me look like a n00b. Thanks again!

I didn't find much wiring info on the ACCEL part number, so I found the MSD equivalent. They mentioned it was called a GM Dual Connector Coil, so I searched that and got those images.

For this post the author RickP was thanked by:
Johnthegoon
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 45 times

Return to Other Vehicles