Step son car carnage continues.

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Step son car carnage continues.

Postby Von » Tue May 31, 2016 12:13 pm

If you've ever peeked at my M715 thread you may be familiar with my occasional off topic rants about teenagers and their vehicles.

The older ones exploits with his 2nd gen Trooper. The Ford Focus, the Grand Am, then the Focus again... and the younger boy abusing my old Z71... the saga continues.

Gotta give the older one credit for finally starting to realize how much of his woes were self inflicted and growing up some. He's in training for a job with the state and getting his act together.
He was on his way home from work a few weeks ago and somebody else ran a stop light, he T boned them. The Focus is officially dead, he's finalizing the paperwork on his injuries before they settle up.

The younger one finally killed the Z71 and his dad gave him his stepmothers 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was done.
I also have to give credit to that Jeep for lasting as long as it did with that idiot driving it while having about 200,000 miles already on the clock.

He was on his way to work at a high fence ranch in Jack County yesterday.... (almost 100 miles round trip for 10 bucks an hour...) and stopped at a low spot in the road that was flooded. He called his foreman and the guy says " oh I went through there an hour ago, only a foot deep you can make it". That guy drives a lifted suburban. So josh goes for it .... the Jeep dies.
He called us panicking. The water is rising, fish and water moccasins are swimming past his car and the water is halfway up the doors. His mom is FREAKING out....
The foreman shows up while he's on the phone, his suburban can't make it so he goes back for the tractor. He pushes the Jeep to higher ground with the tractor. That higher ground is between two low spots, the tractor can't make it across the other low spot so they swim to work...

My in-laws were in town for Josh's graduation party the day before so my father in-law and I spend memorial day buying a couple of chains and tow straps and fetching the Jeep and Josh.

Hoping for the best... we drained about a gallon of water and the oil out of the crank case, put fresh oil in and pulled the plugs. Charged the battery and gave it a crank... got 5 water fountains shooting out the top of that 3.7. Yes 5, not 6.
We let it sit overnight charging.... and so I could recharge. Spun some more water out this morning and tried checking compression. Zero and a clunking noise on one of them, 65 lbs on 4 others and 270 on the last one.... still a little water in that one.

Yay.... I'll be towing it to his dad's house and washing my hands of it.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Sponsor

Re: Step son car carnage continues.

Postby Hack » Tue May 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Hey, it is just youth! My oldest daughter did a similar thing with my Sienna and ended up hydro-locking the motor. My wife told me to call the insurance company. Turns out we were covered because my little darling drove the van into a deep body of water. If the van had just been sitting there and was ruined in a flood it would not have been covered. Ended up getting a jasper rebuilt for my $20 deductible.

That said, take a look at my signature for other things my darlings did to my vehicles. Until someone has a stake, they really do not take care of things.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Von » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:29 am

Hack wrote:Hey, it is just youth!

Yeah... I try to keep in mind all the stupid crap I did at that age. I got my 76 Chevy van airborn for about 20 feet one time... then wondered why the stud on one of my ball joints gave out a couple of years later.

I told my daughter (30 now) that Josh now holds the Car Drowning crown. When she was 20 she killed my 97 Lincoln Mark VIII in high water. I loved that car...
He gets the crown because he actually stopped first, walked in the water to test the depth.... and then still went in.
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby Hack » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 am

Hey, at least he checked! He didn't know what he was doing, but he did know he should check. :lol:
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:07 am

That's fantastic. I watched videos all day yesterday of idiots in Texas driving through deep water after watching an avalanche get swept away. I hope the boys can get it figured out. It's a thousand times easier to maintain a vehicle than it is to continuously repair it from crisis to crisis.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby Von » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:02 pm

N law wrote: I hope the boys can get it figured out. It's a thousand times easier to maintain a vehicle than it is to continuously repair it from crisis to crisis.

Not getting my hopes up on that younger one. In every single aspect of his life and behavior... nothing but laziness and irresponsibility. He's got warrants out on him for about $2000 in unpaid tickets, mostly minor in possession.... no job, no vehicle, lost his wallet for the umpteenth time so has no ID... can't get a new ID because of the warrants... and spends his every waking moment running around with his friends partying. He's already burned bridges with all of his Dad's friends who might hire him.
Glad he's moved back in at his Dad's. I love him, but... Don't want to be responsible for him or have anything to do with his shenanigans till he grows up. He's smart and has the capacity to be a really good and sensible person. Just waiting for him to get there...
Yeah. I said Shenanigans.

I dropped the Grand Cherokee off our insurance and am excluding him off our policy. No more access to our vehicles and no keys to this house. he wasn't happy about that. Too bad. The clock is ticking and he's running out of options. I foresee some jail time and then the military in his future. If he's lucky.

Brayden is driving a brand new Toyota Camry rental while they settle up on his Ford Focus. RIGHT after I was bragging on him he came in and started telling me how FAST that Camry is. *sigh* I know it's a rental... but still...
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby Hack » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Von wrote:*sigh* I know it's a rental... but still...

But what . . . .?

As my parents used to say, wait until you have kids of your own. It is some sort of payback or karma. Just remember, the Father has a sense of humor. Why else do you think he created us?
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby joneill4 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 pm

*sigh* I know it's a rental... but still...
Ha! To this day I don't think I have had more fun than the time I rented a Uhaul pickup and went 4 wheelin'.
1994 3.2L Rodeo 4x4
Westminster, MD
joneill4
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby humming » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:45 pm

When in high school I got my dads pickup truck pretty darn stuck. Had to leave it overnight and get a tractor to pull it out the next day. Funny thing was I wasn't screwing around, just driving down a dirt road, ended up in a muddy bit, turned around because I didn't want to get stuck, and got stuck getting back out.

Other than that I accidentally popped a piston out of the brake caliper once the first time I did brake pads and had to rebuild the caliper.

There are teenagers who like cars and DONT do stupid things. There are grown men who DO do stupid things. If they didn't learn from your advice and experience, they won't learn until they feel the full consequences.
1990 4runner - totaled
1991 4runner - sold
2005 mazdaspeed miata - sold
1973 datsun 240Z - perpetual project
1997 Trooper: http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87699
humming
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Other Vehicles