Shaggy Shack 2.0

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: Shaggy Shack 2.0

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:39 pm

YEAH BUDDY !!! It's pure awesomeness to see the camper out at a campsite ,extremely happy for you !!

I have a theory on the door being out again.. First how was the frame supporting itself in the garage ? The points changed for weight load once it was on the axle I'm thinking .. So first test , put it back in the storage position and see if it corrects , if it does it means the frame or body is flexing and all it might take is a couple lateral runs of steel under the frame to hold the rigidity in the storage position ...

I'm hoping this is the case ..
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...

For this post the author bradzuzu was thanked by:
shaggydoink
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Sponsor

Postby DSUZU » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Good call Brad. On the casters, he had it supported at the rear bumper and tongue (?) maybe front crossmember. Changing to tongue and axle would seriously change body load points. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
shaggydoink
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 607 times

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:10 pm

@ Brad and Dennis - I swear, I don't know how I made it so far in life without you two. :mrgreen:

As soon as I got the camper off the main tires/wheels and back on the casters, the door returned to it's almost perfectly snug shape, so the frame flexing and causing the issue makes a lot of sense. When it's at rest in the garage, the casters are located at the very rear on the bumper, and the front support is at the front of the tongue. In use, the wheels are about 2-3 feet forward and the front support is the same... so would a couple of cross supports like an "X" theoretically correct this?

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby N law » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:47 am

I read a post the other day about a "torsion tube" on a trailer to really stiffen things up. The idea is that you cut a round hole in every cross member before sliding a piece of round tube through and welding each one solid. It locks each cross member to the torsion tube spine and keeps everything from flexing. It seemed like a lot of work to retrofit into an existing trailer, but I'm thinking a box tube welded to the bottom of each cross member could help accomplish the same thing.

Do you think it is the frame twisting or more sagging?
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby gruff54 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:00 pm

N law wrote:I read a post the other day about a "torsion tube" on a trailer to really stiffen things up. The idea is that you cut a round hole in every cross member before sliding a piece of round tube through and welding each one solid. It locks each cross member to the torsion tube spine and keeps everything from flexing. It seemed like a lot of work to retrofit into an existing trailer, but I'm thinking a box tube welded to the bottom of each cross member could help accomplish the same thing. Do you think it is the frame twisting or more sagging?

I'd say more likely to be sagging than twisting. Interesting fix, though. I'd think you'd have to go through the crossmembers to get any torsional rigidity. Underneath should help with the sagging, but is there room between axle and frame? Still, surprised it's sagging/flexing. Is the frame in good condition or is it rusted?

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:11 pm

The way I have observed things (and I would have most likely made the same mistake), the door was set and aligned when the trailer was in a "sagging" state. It was supported at the ends then so it sagged in the middle (or where the door was). Trying to reproduce the sag when it's on it's wheels will only add extra weight. The real practical solutions would be either to rework the door with the camper in it's "wheels on" configuration, or take your fiberglass skills to the next level and make a new door from scratch with it in the wheels on condition. Personally, I'd go for tweaking the door. Maybe multiple pictures in and out of the door gap situation?
It's come a long way and I'm certain that it will see through to the final (and perfected - doinked) state. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:49 am

I think for starters Jonathan could take his floor jack and lift up the center of the frame (under the axle ) and watch to see how much travel (flex) it takes to get the door to lign back up ... Sitting on the casters is putting in a slight concave position whereas sitting on hex axle is crowing it ... Can you do that test John so we get an idea of how much flex/load it takes to correct what's going on ?

Other thought could be to put jacks or jack on the back and once your at camp put it down and take the load off.. Bad thing with with that us if you get on dusty or muddy roads and since the door is ajar it'll get inside the camper ...

How hard would it be to cut the lower section of the door and put hinges on the bottom of it so that it could become a flip down step ? That's an option too , then the door itself would be mostly flat ..

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and input! Over the weekend I'll get the camper back up on its regular wheels and fuss around a bit with some different things such as the hinges (which I may not have angled correctly when I refurbished them), jacking the frame up in different locations starting with the back bumper, etc. and report back... there's obviously something causing the gap, now it's just a matter of figuring out what so I can counteract and (fingers crossed) correct! :)

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby squatch » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:42 pm

I take a weeks trip and you've got the crazy thing at URE! Good for you Shaggy! :lol: Great progress as well.

A couple of links. Looks like this one just sold.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ta-Liberty

Here is another for sale. Check out his frame mods!!!!! Some great ideas on this one as well.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... oject-6500
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442

For this post the author squatch was thanked by:
shaggydoink
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 326 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 am

squatch wrote:Here is another for sale. Check out his frame mods!!!!!

Wow, frame lift to accommodate full sized tires for off-road? Hmmmmm..... :idea:

I've been spending an hour or so after work each night on the camper, it's mostly been smaller detail-type stuff like painting the interior of the new cabinet/storage unit, building another cabinet door, getting shelf liner installed, etc. so nothing all that note or picture worthy. Yesterday the mattress from Magic Sleeper arrived which was exciting. It fits perfectly and is super comfortable, so feel really pleased with the decision to spend the money on it:

I've got a bunch of items to work on today, I'll post up if I'm able to magically fix the door gap or at least if I come up with any clues on the root cause.

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:00 am

I like the idea of cutting the door and making the bottom a fold down step. Seems like it could eliminate some of the door adjustment issues and steps are nice...especially if you get into the frame like the the guy in the link that Mark sent. That is a pretty neat setup and it has to roll pretty good with those tires... once you get it moving. Lots of options from looking at that thread. I like what you are doing though and that mattress might be the best investment ever because it sure looks comfortable. I'm not sure though how much longer you are going to be able to call this a shack :lol: As always good planning and good work!
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound

For this post the author wmorrisiii was thanked by:
shaggydoink
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 171 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:03 am

Just a guess, but are you planning on sewing up some custom sheets for the custom mattress? :D
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 pm

wmorrisiii wrote:Just a guess, but are you planning on sewing up some custom sheets for the custom mattress? :D

Haha !!! Now that's funny ... That's really nice that they could build a curved mattress ... I kinda wish I could've seen it go in :)

I know on my last camper that I had , I had to bend , fold , shove , grunt and groan to get it up into the front (double mattress that fit very snug) and the old camper wasn't as roomy as the newer one...

I hope you can figure out what's going on and possibly fixed.. I guess a double stacked frame would stiffen it up but that would create a whole nother job and add weight ..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:28 pm

@ Willie - I don't have any immediate plans to make custom sheets, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility. :mrgreen:

Today ended up being extremely hot again, almost 90 in late September... are you kidding me?! :angryfire: As such, I decided to stall on the door project until tomorrow as it's scheduled to be cooler and work on other things. One project that came somewhat out of left field was refurbishing the kitchen stove which was in pretty sorry condition:

Fast forward through sanding, brushing, treating, painting/sealing and such, it ended up coming out in pretty decent shape - the only exterior thing left to do is touch up a few spots on the white enamel:

This project also resulted in some hunting around in nearby stores for the fittings needed to actually make it work. It originally was fed by the full-size propane tank, I've decided to modify it to use 1 lb. tanks which I'll refill as needed to save some space and weight. In the end no one had what I needed so I had to order things through Amazon, the pieces should be here Monday thanks to Amazon Prime so there's a chance I'll be able to get things finished before the upcoming trip on Thursday.

More updates soon! :thumbup:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 am

Wow, stove looks brand new! Small propane cylinders make good sense. We use them duck hunting to make coffe and keep our hands warm. Easy to pack in and they make tons of brackets and adapters for them.

I'm betting on custom sheets before URE :lol:
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound

shaggydoink
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm not sure about those custom sheets, I've got a multi-day trip back out in the wild this coming week, friends from the UK and my parents flying over from Italy to visit over the next three weeks... plus work... plus immediate family needs... plus yet another side project I'm working on (some trail guides)... for the first time in a while I'm feeling just a little overextended! :shock:

Along that theme, today I was busy doing a whole bunch of different things so didn't end with too much time to spend on the camper. As such, I decided to ignore the door gap and focus on a couple other items - one was modifying the spare tire holder which theoretically should provide more clearance:

The other was finishing off the last cabinet door for the new storage unit and installing it:

It still need some patch work and paint, but getting pretty close to being done! The last bit of time I had was spent at Lowe's finding a few pieces that will be needed to make the stove functional, that's on deck for tomorrow.

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby red cube » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 am

"Wow, frame lift to accommodate full sized tires for off-road? Hmmmmm..... :idea:"
If you do the frame lift for full size tires, then would you be modifying / swapping hubs so the trailer can use the same tires / wheels as the Trooper? That's potentially one less spare to be carried...

Love the progress on this.

Mark
for Lo! I am Isuzu: consumer of fuel and harbinger of rust;
Look upon my tires, ye potholes, and despair!
red cube
Trail Master

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:09 am

red cube wrote:If you do the frame lift for full size tires, then would you be modifying / swapping hubs so the trailer can use the same tires / wheels as the Trooper?

I haven't measured the wheel well, although from the picture on Expedition Portal it appears as though a 15" wheel/tire would fit. In thinking about it I'm not sure how practical it would be modify this particular camper into something more off-road capable simply because I don't think my poor Trooper would have enough "oomph" to actually pull it on much more than service roads, but we'll see... I may get bored in six months and do it just to keep me occupied. ;)

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:30 pm

The past couple weeks have been crazy, I'm finally at a point where I'm able to get this thread updated. A couple days after my last post I packed up the camper and head out on a short trip to Uwharrie to do a little trail mapping and attend one day of the American Adventurist Appalachian Rendezvous. It looked just as sketchy the previous trip:

But I didn't encounter any new issues (whew!) and overall it served as a great home for a couple days. Crazy trails:

Fire-roasted dinners:

All in all another wonderful trip! :mrgreen:

Today I was back to work, the highlights included getting the spare tire holder modified so it doesn't drag:

Getting the inside stove actually functional:

And getting some initial framing done for a storage cabinet just inside the front door:

I had originally envisioned filling this space in with shelves floor to ceiling, but opted to go with just a partial set of shelves which will leave space to hang some coats and keep the interior a little more open... or less claustrophobic depending on which way you want to look at it. :wink:

More updates soon!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:05 pm

shaggydoink wrote:The past couple weeks have been crazy

Whew! Been having "Shack withdrawls". I can cancel the appointment with the therapist now. Looks like you had some fun. Dennis

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
shaggydoink
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Oh good, an update. I was thinking maybe you had dragged the shack on an extended trip because the custom sleeping accommodations were so comfortable. Stove now working! Coffee inside in the morning! A soft place to lay your head! What more could you ask for?

Looking great!
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound

shaggydoink
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby MarcusInMD » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Very nice shaggy! How does it tow? Not too much trouble for the trooper I hope!
99 Trooper. Green 240k miles. - April 2013 AT Rebuild/December 2013 Engine Rebuild/April 2016 SUPERCHARGED!
99 Trooper. Black 161k miles - April 2015 AT Rebuild

For this post the author MarcusInMD was thanked by:
shaggydoink
MarcusInMD
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:56 pm

MarcusInMD wrote:Very nice shaggy! How does it tow? Not too much trouble for the trooper I hope!

The towing has been fantastic! With the exception of taking a little longer to get up to speed from a complete stop, and having to downshift a few extra times on hills, it's almost like it's not there. :thumbup:

I took a short trip to the beach with my family this past week, today was the first day I was able to get back to work on the camper. I made some decent progress on the storage cabinet inside the front door:

I still need to patch, paint, install the top and build/install a door, but it's coming along. While I was in fiberglass mode, I got the facing installed on the additional kitchen unit:

This too will need patching and painting, but it's getting there.

I also made some good progress on fixing the door gap. After getting the camper into the driveway and on its wheels I fussed around a bit to determine what I needed to do - ultimately I ended up adding some shims to the additional kitchen unit to push the shell out, then made some additional kerf cuts in the door in order to crank it down into shape:

There are still a couple spots that have a gap that's around 1/8th of an inch which I'll need to figure out how to close, but it's considerably better than it was before!

Last but not least, I spent some time working on a counter top for the additional kitchen unit. I didn't luck into anything great at the local ReStore, and couldn't stomach the thought of spending almost $100 on a butcher block slab, so decided to make a butcher block style counter from scratch. In order to save some weight I opted to use pine which means I won't be able to cut directly on it, but theoretically it should look decent after some stain and not a big deal just to use a cutting board when needed:

If this ends up coming out OK I'll do the same thing for the tops of the two new storage units I've added.

Lots left to do, I'll post up as I make more progress!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:43 pm

So glad to see you out using the trailer !! How'd the family like camping out in the shack ? My poor fifth wheel needs some emergency attention before the full fledged winter dumps water on it for three or four months ...

So is the door angle put back to where it was originally ? Hopefully you can get it dialed in and sealed up...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:39 pm

bradzuzu wrote:How'd the family like camping out in the shack ?

The only trips I've taken thus far have been solo. My wife and daughter have tickets to see a band out in the western part of the state in November and originally there was talk of everyone bunking out in the shack, although I've since heard a hotel room mentioned a couple times since. Neither one are too outdoorsy, so might just take a little time for them to warm up to the idea.

As for the door, I honestly have no idea how the shape of it is compared to how it was when it rolled off the factory floor. I've read that "door sag" is a fairly common thing with the fiberglass campers, although since I've messed with interior structure I'm assuming the entire shell is sitting differently now. It was getting pretty close to being sealed yesterday, we'll see what it ends up like the next time I get it on its normal wheels.

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Vehicles