Shaggy Shack 2.0

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: Shaggy Shack 2.0

Postby imamonstertruck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:59 am

Wow! This thing is really beginning to button up. You're quite the craftsman Jonathon.

Any idea what the weight is now vs stock?

Looking forward to the finished product.

PS. DO NOT TORCH

cheers
-Ian
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 166 times

Sponsor

Postby JLEMOND » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:59 pm

imamonstertruck wrote:Wow! This thing is really beginning to button up. You're quite the craftsman Jonathon.

Any idea what the weight is now vs stock?

Looking forward to the finished product.

PS. DO NOT TORCH

cheers
-Ian
shaggydoink wrote:My work schedule has been fairly light over the past few days, so I was able to spend a little time working on the camper. As silly as it might sound, one of the big things that was bothering me was the drawer in the kitchen. It didn't slide in and out well, it would never set flush... all in all it just felt like a hack job and it's bugged me on every trip I've taken thus far. While I liked the notion of retaining the original plastic drawer, it simply wasn't cutting it as a solid foundation so I decided to replace it with a new drawer made from scratch:

I replaced my cheap aluminum rails with drawer glides and now have a drawer that I'm actually happy with. :mrgreen:

Another small project that I knocked off the list was getting finished floor installed in the rear section of the camper:

Still lots left to do, stay tuned!

Jonathan

JON , THAT IS REALLY LOOKING NICE AND TAKING SHAPE REALLY FINE . KEEP IT UP.

For this post the author JLEMOND was thanked by:
shaggydoink
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:48 am

You could so be a finish carpenter !!

I wonder what's shifting on the chassis throwing off the door gap , fiberglass can be a funny animal ...
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby squatch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Looking great!
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442

For this post the author squatch was thanked by:
shaggydoink
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby shaggydoink » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:21 am

imamonstertruck wrote:Any idea what the weight is now vs stock?

If I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the 1,200 lb. range. There are a few truck-oriented gas stations within about an hour of me that have CAT scales, now that the camper is relatively complete on the interior I'm hoping to take it over to one of them to get an actual weight just to satisfy my nerdy curiosity. :glasses3:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 386 times

Postby JLEMOND » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:26 pm

shaggydoink wrote:
imamonstertruck wrote:Any idea what the weight is now vs stock?

If I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the 1,200 lb. range. There are a few truck-oriented gas stations within about an hour of me that have CAT scales, now that the camper is relatively complete on the interior I'm hoping to take it over to one of them to get an actual weight just to satisfy my nerdy curiosity. :glasses3:

Jonathan

LOOKING BETTER ALL THE TIME. WONT BE LONG NOW.
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks Jerry!!

Over the past few weeks I've worked on stripping the black paint on the exterior in small spurts. I won't go so far as to say it's making the poor old camper look much better, but by this afternoon I had at least managed to finish my first pass all the way around on both the top and bottom sections (leaving only the roof to do):

While working I noticed that the metal strip that clasps the top/bottom sections together has pulled away from the shell, so another small item to add to the fix list:

The other small project I've been working on over the past couple days are curtains. "My designer" helped pick out some killer buffalo check fabric which should add a nice pop of color on the interior. My sewing skills I doubt will win me any awards, but I managed to get all of the panels constructed:

I also spray painted the grommets with flat black and a dusting of metal bronze to hopefully blend in with the other weathered metal pieces:

I've got a day off from work tomorrow so should be able to get the finished, I'll post up a picture or two of the final result.

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:55 am

Wait a minute, YOU SEW TOO?????? True jack of all trades.
Now as I was looking at your pictures, I noticed that you are still pulling the wheels off. Figure you have deed restrictions that keep it in the garage? Maybe you could come up with a caster arrangement that would support it closer to the axle - or at the axle. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 624 times

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:08 am

DSUZU wrote:Wait a minute, YOU SEW TOO?????? True jack of all trades.
Now as I was looking at your pictures, I noticed that you are still pulling the wheels off. Figure you have deed restrictions that keep it in the garage? Maybe you could come up with a caster arrangement that would support it closer to the axle - or at the axle. Dennis

Sew? Yes. Sew *WELL*? Different answer. ;)

Yes, HOA guidelines restrict storing campers outside hence me having to stuff it into the garage. The original solution I came up with of the wheels on the back bumper was OK, although as we've all seen it's caused a bunch of alignment issues, and it's also throwing a fair bit of excess weight to the tongue of the trailer which a) makes it a bitch to crank up and down and b) makes it such that I can't use a trailer dolly... a lesson I learned the hard way yesterday. As such, I'm going to revisit this today in fact, hopefully I'll be able to build a better mousetrap!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 pm

A short follow up on the rolling topic. I'm almost positive tire dollies were suggested once if not multiple times previously, although since the one time I tried moving the camper on moving dollies was so difficult I more or less ruled them out. That was until I stared at the camper for about 45 minutes with no brilliant ideas presenting themselves... so off to Northern Tool I went.

The good news is that with the camper axle resting on the dollies the top still just barely clears the garage door. The bad news is that despite having a higher load rating than the furniture dollies, it's still a bear to get the camper rolling forward or backward by human power, especially if the caster wheels need to spin around in the opposite direction. Supporting the camper on the axle has a few benefits so I'll likely stick with this concept, I'll just need to come up with an easier method for the travel forward/backward. One idea is to fabricate a tow bar that I can attach to the front of the Trooper to pull/push it... the other is to simply drag it out via the safety chains then get a cheap winch and mount it in the garage to pull it in... final solution to be determined!

Two other items for this update, the first is the final steps of the curtain project. You really haven't lived until you smack 45 grommets into place:

The monotony was worth it though, here's a couple pictures of the finished product:

The only remaining items for this project are some straps to hold the curtains back when open, I would have gotten this wrapped up this evening if I had remembered to get Velcro strips when I was at Lowe's... oops.

The second is the window trims. With the carpet on the walls removed, there was a gap between the shell and the interior window trims that I wasn't happy with. The solution ended up being fairly simple and inexpensive, I ran a couple layers of foam weatherstripping around each metal piece:

It took a few coats of paint to saturate the foam, but in the end it created a pretty good end result:

More updates to come!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby wmorrisiii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 pm

I like it...sewing the curtains and putting the grommets in...always wondered how you put grommets in. It all looks great Jon, although I have to admit, even though I knew it was coming, it looks naked without any paint :D I figure you'll have that done in like another weekend or two :lol: On the tight clearance in the garage, first thing that came to mind was a cheap winch to pull it in, second were those furniture sliders they advertise. I bought a set years ago and have moved some really heavy stuff with them, an 800 pound safe comes to mind. Not sure they make them large enough for what you would need though. And there is still the issue of getting the immovable object moving. If you were in Alaska and had access to a sled dog team I'd say give that a shot...which is my way of saying I have no idea what a good solution is to your problem. I am curious to see what you come up with though. Im thinking it might help me come up with a better way to move Troopers with no engines or tires around. I agree that the two arms and two legs method of moving stuff gets old quick.
Last edited by wmorrisiii on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:45 am

Looking great. The problem with "dollys" is the small wheels. Bigger wheels are easier to roll. Yeah, restrictions here on certain days of the week - for our front yards only. We can keep "stuff" (legal term "Domestic equipment") in our backyards. I guess the option is someone's pickup sitting on blocks (out front) and banjo music. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:09 pm

shaggydoink wrote:Image
Jonathan

... bom chicka wah wah ...
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.

For this post the author Von was thanked by:
shaggydoink
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby red cube » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Since you're removing the tires to move it into the garage, do you have a set of sacrificial rims w/o tires, to lift it up just enough to get the axle off the ground? Or (going old school on this), could you make up a set of wooden wheels to bolt onto the axle? Way back in the day certain Land Rovers and J**ps were exported with wooden wheels to countries that had export limitations on shipping completed vehicles....

We know you have pretty mad woodmaking skills!

Mark
for Lo! I am Isuzu: consumer of fuel and harbinger of rust;
Look upon my tires, ye potholes, and despair!

For this post the author red cube was thanked by:
shaggydoink
red cube
Trail Master

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby N law » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:31 am

I had heard of people doing something like that when their off road rig was too tall for the garage: just put a set of cheap steelies on it and roll it in on bare rims.

The wooden ones seem like a cool idea, but I would recommend that you do more than just a sheet of 1/2" plywood!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter

For this post the author N law was thanked by:
shaggydoink
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby DSUZU » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:07 pm

N law wrote:I had heard of people doing something like that when their off road rig was too tall for the garage: just put a set of cheap steelies on it and roll it in on bare rims.The wooden ones seem like a cool idea, but I would recommend that you do more than just a sheet of 1/2" plywood!

Great idea Nick. John, often trailer wheel bolt patterns are the same or very close to some automobiles. Your clearance seems to be very close even on your casters. Maybe a set of boneyard brake rotors that match your lug pattern and are only slightly larger than your drums. Dennis

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
shaggydoink
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:10 pm

OK, so I was kidding myself... the car tires dollies just plain sucked. The small casters got stuck on every crack in the garage, and while it was nice to be able to push the camper side to side, it had a tendency to slide side to side on its own whenever I tried to move it forward or backward... which continued to be nearly impossible to do by hand... bleck.

After staring blankly at the camper in the driveway for about 45 minutes a new idea finally emerged. :idea: Another trip to Lowe's and about 20 minutes resulted in the following:

I got second one fabricated for the other side and relatively pleased with the results. The camper definitely rolls better than when it was on the car tire dollies, the height is spot on, and they're a piece of cake to pop on. The only issue is that they don't stay in position very well, which makes sense as they are not fixed to the wheel in any way... if I can figure out a solution for this, I might just have a viable solution! :)

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:45 am

AMAZING!!!!!! Can you change your brackets so that a lug nut will hold them in place? Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby itsmehb » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 am

Yea Shaggy, Great idea. Almost worthy of a patent.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 209 times

Postby N law » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:21 am

Standard trailer wheel pattern? Find a 1/4" steel spacer for a mustang (make sure the pattern is the same!) and weld those suckers on. Then just run 2 lug nuts down and be done!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:32 am

You are a creative little rascal. This allows for infinite variations to give you exactly what you want. Nice job!
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby hessmess » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm

If you don't come up with a solution you will end up ruining your wheel studs. All that pressure will eventually flatten the threads.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks guys! I ended up adding one more piece to the brackets - it's nothing special, but thus far hold them in pretty well at least for the immediate:

@ Dick - yeah, I was wondering if resting the wheel studs right on the angle iron pieces might become a problem... something I'll try and improve!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby gruff54 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:02 pm

N law wrote:Standard trailer wheel pattern? Find a 1/4" steel spacer for a mustang (make sure the pattern is the same!) and weld those suckers on. Then just run 2 lug nuts down and be done!

Or cut the centers out of a couple of old wheels. More than likely a 5 on 4.5" pattern. Most trailers are.

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd

For this post the author gruff54 was thanked by:
shaggydoink
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby hessmess » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:34 pm

I have been watching this thread since it started, what an amazing journey you have been on with this. I have even been looking for one of these, but out here in Nevada they are stupid expensive if you can find one. Just a thought on the thread protection is to pick up a piece of rubber hose that fits over the wheel studs and let them take the pressure. Something thicker like fuel line but of the right diameter to fit over the studs.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081

For this post the author hessmess was thanked by:
shaggydoink
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 145 times

PreviousNext

Return to Other Vehicles