Shaggy Shack 2.0

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Shaggy Shack 2.0

Postby shaggydoink » Fri May 27, 2016 8:20 pm

While over the past couple of years I've really enjoyed the original "Shaggy Shack", there were admittedly a couple things that I was finding a little less than ideal. First was the time it took to setup/break camp - while the shack itself went up pretty quickly, I realized it was taking me up to an hour getting things like my bed, etc. either unpacked and set up, or broken down and packed back up. The second was how the experience was on trips when it rained... which I think was more often than not last year. Dealing with being soggy for entire trips then having to deal with drying everything out is what I think led me to start looking for other options.

If I listed the options I considered it would probably take 10 pages, so I'll just cut to the chase and say that I ended up going the route of a renovation of a fiberglass "egg" camper. I learned fairly quickly that these are in high demand these days so it took a couple months before I found something that was close and affordable, the camper I ended up with is a 16' Casita - it's a 1990, so a match to my Trooper which I think is pretty neat.

There were not pictures on the Craiglist post and the description was one of those classic ones that said something like "10' pull behind camper. Fridge, shower U will not find one like this. No title but bill of sail, I take care of U if you want it." The guy actually turned out to be super nice, these are the pics he texted me which made me decide to pop on it:

He apparently had some sort of legal stuff going on and needed money quickly, so I agreed to drive the couple hours to the NC coast and make the purchase yesterday evening - by the time I got home it was almost 11pm, which led me to taking the picture of my new project this morning:

I spend a few hours today getting underway which included getting the camper to fit into my garage, I'll post up some details and pictures of this on Sunday - tomorrow the old Trooper and I are out to enjoy some trail time! :)

Shaggy
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 377 times

Sponsor

Re: Shaggy Shack 2.0

Postby N law » Sat May 28, 2016 12:33 am

Subscribed!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby DSUZU » Sat May 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Count me in :D. I can relate to the set-up, tear down time. That was one of the deciding factors in getting rid of my pop-up. Don't know about replacement yet, but it will be a quicker set up time. There are all kinds of websites with camper mod and refurb ideas. One I liked was called "That ain't stock". Do you anticipate any problems getting a title? Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 588 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat May 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Sweet score, looks nice now and infinite potential! What does it weigh?

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it. These and the canned hams are getting impossible to find, but you can't beat the look of one hooked up behind a first gen. Retro x 2.

Willie
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 162 times

Postby Von » Sun May 29, 2016 9:55 am

wmorrisiii wrote:Sweet score, looks nice now and infinite potential! What does it weigh?

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it. These and the canned hams are getting impossible to find, but you can't beat the look of one hooked up behind a first gen. Retro x 2.

Willie

Agree! That'll be an awesome setup! I love the camper threads.

I used to go "camping" a lot at bike rallies and so did my wife with her ex husband. It's just like camping but with hundreds of drunk, nekkid neighbors. We've been to one rally since we hooked up. We sometimes miss it..... no, I lied neither of us do. Camping sucks. Our best camping trip together was been at a Double Tree Suites in Virginia Beach.

But I still like the camper threads.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby Hack » Sun May 29, 2016 10:57 am

Man Shaggy! You'll soon have to change your name. It looks like you are going upscale. That is not a shack, it is a palace. It even has doilies in the shower.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun May 29, 2016 3:45 pm

I saw that TV too. So you hosting the Super Bowl party at URE in Feb? :D
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Zu Royalty

Postby DSUZU » Sun May 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Just passed on a 1989 PaceArrow motorhome that my kid brother offered me for 500.00. Timing just isn't right. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sun May 29, 2016 7:50 pm

I was out on the trails all day yesterday, finally have a chance to get caught up... here are answers to the questions:

Do you anticipate any problems getting a title?

I was a little apprehensive as the seller said he didn't have a title, although there's a clear VIN stamped into the frame and I got a bill of sale so I think I'll be OK. My backup plan? Take the title I got for the trailer that I built the original "Shaggy Shack" from and get it titled/registered with a plate and slap it on... which I probably shouldn't be posting on a forum that's available to the public, but if someone can trace it this far, I deserve to get busted. ;)

What does it weigh?

From what I've read it's between 1,200-1,400 pounds. It's admittedly heavier than I was looking for, although I almost didn't notice the weight when I towed it home - granted that was on mostly flat highway, I guess I'll see how it really feels when it's ready for its maiden voyage to Uwharrie!

So you hosting the Super Bowl party at URE in Feb?

If anyone wants to come out to Uwharrie in February the answer is yes - I will gladly host a Super Bowl party! :thumbup:

More updates and pics in the morning!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby Hack » Sun May 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Shaggy, isn't Uwharrie closed in Feb? Otherwise it sounds like an interesting idea. Several of us have done winter runs in GWNF and they are fun. I think it wound be a blast, coming back to camp and watching the game.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Postby JLEMOND » Sun May 29, 2016 9:54 pm

shaggydoink wrote:I was out on the trails all day yesterday, finally have a chance to get caught up... here are answers to the questions:

Do you anticipate any problems getting a title?

I was a little apprehensive as the seller said he didn't have a title, although there's a clear VIN stamped into the frame and I got a bill of sale so I think I'll be OK. My backup plan? Take the title I got for the trailer that I built the original "Shaggy Shack" from and get it titled/registered with a plate and slap it on... which I probably shouldn't be posting on a forum that's available to the public, but if someone can trace it this far, I deserve to get busted. ;)

What does it weigh?

From what I've read it's between 1,200-1,400 pounds. It's admittedly heavier than I was looking for, although I almost didn't notice the weight when I towed it home - granted that was on mostly flat highway, I guess I'll see how it really feels when it's ready for its maiden voyage to Uwharrie!

So you hosting the Super Bowl party at URE in Feb?

If anyone wants to come out to Uwharrie in February the answer is yes - I will gladly host a Super Bowl party! :thumbup:

More updates and pics in the morning!

Jonathan

JONATHON THAT TRAILER IS A LOT HEAVIER THAN 1400 LB,S MY CASITA IS A 17 FOOT EQUIPPED JUST ABOUT LIKE YOURS, AND IT WEIGHS VERY CLOSE TO 3500, BY THE TIME YOU GET ALL YOUR STUFF IN IT . MAKE SURE YOUR BRAKES ARE WORKING CORRECTLY ON THE TRUCK AND THE TRAILER, GET A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH AND A SWAY BAR ON THAT THING, , OR IT CAN BITE YOU IN THE BUTT BEFORE YOU NOW IT . I HAVE ALL THE HEAVY SAFETY EQUIP ON MY TRUCK AND TRAILER , SO I DO NT GET ANY SURPRIZES, EVER , GET THAT TRAILER TOWING DEAD LEVEL BEHIND YOU AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROB, I NEVER FEEL ANY OF THE WIND FOR PASSING THE BIG TRUCKS, THAT IS A NICE LOOKING TRAILER ,
YOU DO KNOW THERE WAS NEVER ANY BLACK TRAILERS MADE . THEY WERE ALL WHITE , AND HARD AS HECK TO KEEP SHINEY, THAT LOOKS LIKE A REALLY GOOD PAINT JOB, SEE YA IN NOV . I HAVE HAD MINE SINCE NEW IN 06 AND TOWED OVER 30 K MILES WITH IT ABSOLUTELY NO TRAILER OR TIRE PROB, , LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION ABOUT IT OR ANY ACCESSORIES YOU MIGHT NEED AND I WILL STEER YOU TO A PLACE IN TX ,S NOT FAR FROM THE FACTORY THAT HAS ALL SORT S OF STUFF FOR THEM./
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 236 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sun May 29, 2016 10:10 pm

Hack wrote:Shaggy, isn't Uwharrie closed in Feb? Otherwise it sounds like an interesting idea. Several of us have done winter runs in GWNF and they are fun. I think it wound be a blast, coming back to camp and watching the game.

Big Creek is open all year....... hit that up for the day, then retire back to Arrowhead for the game.............. with wood fire-roasted food... and cigars... and bourbon............................ should we start reserving sites?!
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby gruff54 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:51 am

shaggydoink wrote:Do you anticipate any problems getting a title?
Jonathan

Yeah, don't think I'd advertise it, never know who else will see it. :shock:
There is a legal method for titling. You have to get it appraised and bonded, then fill out and submit the appropriate forms. A pain, but legal. And more $$. This only works if it isn't stolen or has an unsatisfied lien on it. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Was it supposedly titled in NC? If so, PM me.

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby shaggydoink » Mon May 30, 2016 9:21 am

@ Mike - yeah, I read a post on another forum where someone was saying it took like 6 months to go through the process of bonding, etc., etc. which is why the crazy notion popped into my head to do the old switcheroo, although in the end I doubt I'd actually go this route for a number of different reasons. I don't know what state the camper was last titled in, the seller said he bought it without one too - I'm going to do a little searching on the VIN today and see if I can find any details.

@ Jerry - the camper was white originally, the previous owner is the one who painted it black for some reason with boat paint and a roller. At some point I'll probably strip it down and get a better coat on it - perhaps going with some sort of neat vintage color - although there are about 100+ things I'll need to do to it before then.

On Friday I was able to get the junk cleaned out:

Power wash all of the crud like this off:

Get new wheels/tires on it - with bullet holes to match my Trooper nonetheless:

Then remove said wheels in order to get it stuffed into my garage (a better solution is in the works!):

The more time I spent, the more I found things that would need to be addressed beyond just cosmetics - things like the plumbing:

The hole in the floor where the table leg goes:

The hinges on the outer door:

And the frame which is solid, but has a coating of surface rust:

The other reality that sunk in yesterday is that I might need to replace all of the carpet to rid the camper of the mold and mildew stench which would be one hell of an endeavor - to start I'm planning on removing all of the interior panels (walls, seats, etc.) and doing a deep clean, maybe I'll get lucky and find that the nastiness hasn't sunk as deep into the walls as I'm thinking it has.

More updates to come!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby N law » Mon May 30, 2016 9:58 am

I don't believe TN requires titles on campers. I have a yard full of trailers and only ever registered one (a pop-up) just to get the serial number on the books and in the system in case it was stolen. I think a non-popup style camper, like yours, does require registration, but no title. If you need help with it, I could see about registering it in TN and then "selling" it to you with a registration.

There is also a Vermont loophole with vehicle titles that I've been toying with the idea of trying with something. It might work with trailers but I haven't checked because it's not an issue here!

EDIT: check out this application and see section 3B

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/ ... le_App.pdf
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby DSUZU » Mon May 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Many years ago, I used a company called "National Title Service" to title my Honda, which the State of Florida said "doesn't exist". Basically a shell game. You (the wanna be owner, "sell" it to the "dealer" in another state where they don't do titles. They then "sell" it back to you with all the paperwork f=to transfer it to your title state. Probably pretty much the same thing you and Inlaw could do. Stupid laws. FWIW, in Florida (land of the drive-bys) it is a FELONY to have a tag on a vehicle it is not registered to. The last few I bought, I simply drove home with no tag on them (at the advice of trusted police officers. A no tag ticket is better than a felony rap. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Mon May 30, 2016 7:25 pm

I spent several hours today working on the camper and within about an hour it became pretty clear that it's going to need a complete gut due to evidence of water damage in several locations. I must admit I entertained the thought of just putting the camper back up for sale, but I've been going nuts without any project to work on so decided to try and stick it out and see where this journey takes me.

Most of day was spend pulling all of the interior structure out, I was amused when I found this buried in one of the corners:

The opposite corner is where I discovered one serious area that obviously was flooded at one point:

There were several other areas where I could see the waves in the carpet which I'm sure means the subfloor has expanded due to water:

The electrical was equally as alarming, I ran into all sorts of sketchy connections like this - a ground that was grounded to nothing and lamp wire:

By the end of the day I had gotten most of the structural pieces removed:

There are a couple more structural pieces to remove, then I'll start removing all of the plumbing and wiring... yeah, this project is going to take a while!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Mon May 30, 2016 7:52 pm

shaggydoink wrote: I've been going nuts without any project to work on Jonathan

You should have posted something. I have tons of projects I can hardly get to :D Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Hack » Mon May 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Where do you think the water is getting in? The fiberglass shell shouldn't leak unless there is a serious problem. I'd check the seam where the 2 pieces join and the gaskets around the windows and door.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Tue May 31, 2016 9:20 am

Hack wrote:Where do you think the water is getting in? The fiberglass shell shouldn't leak unless there is a serious problem. I'd check the seam where the 2 pieces join and the gaskets around the windows and door.

Yeah, one of the reasons I was particularly keen on fiberglass was the fact that it would be pretty weather resistant generally speaking.

As for the water, I have a feeling that there may have been multiple spots where it came from at one point or another - the seller mentioned that he had resealed the rear window which suggests that may have been an issue, some of the plumbing around the interior water tank looked pretty sketchy, and while there are no serious cracks in the fiberglass shell there are one or two spots that have globs of something covering them so another possible source. I'm going to be tearing out all of the interior carpet and getting down to bare shell, so will have the opportunity to do a visual inspection both inside and out, as well as gun the camper with water and make sure any possible spot that's suspect is good.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby superman27344 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:08 am

Shaggy, that grey plastic water piping looks an awful lot like Quest. I couldnt make the picture big enough to make sure, but if it is Quest pipe, you really want to replace all of it with Pex instead. Quest had a nasty habit of splitting and bursting.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SELLING

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Trail Master

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby gruff54 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm

NC frowns on "title service" type paper these days. Not saying it won't work here, but I know they look hard at anything coming in from out-of-state, esp. if it doesn't have a legit title. Had a couple of buddies' title service titles pulled(revoked?) on their motorcycles. Just saying........

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby shaggydoink » Tue May 31, 2016 4:18 pm

gruff54 wrote:NC frowns on "title service" type paper these days. Not saying it won't work here, but I know they look hard at anything coming in from out-of-state, esp. if it doesn't have a legit title. Had a couple of buddies' title service titles pulled(revoked?) on their motorcycles. Just saying........

Do you mean a title that was obtained through the DMV via the indemnity bond route? Or through one of the local/national places like Dennis mentioned? The NC DMV has step by step instructions on how to go the bonded route so it seems pretty legit...?

As for the piping, it does indeed have "QEST" stamped all over it, so I guess I'll plan on replacing this as well. In comparison to the truck projects I've worked on thus far, this camper is definitely the Amigo! LOL!!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 pm

@ Lou - it appears as though the pipe may have been original, there were a handful of spots where it had been secured with a metal clamp riveted to the floor which seems more like a factory type thing than a DIY-er:

I got in a couple hours after I got home from work and got the remaining structural pieces removed and most of the existing electrical and plumbing torn out:

The floor on the driver side turned out to be even worse than the passenger side, it was basically just sawdust:

Here's the current state:

Next up will be the carpet removal... ugh, that's not something I'm looking forward to! :shock:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby wmorrisiii » Tue May 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Enjoying watching this! This thing is going to be incredible.
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Zu Royalty

Next

Return to Other Vehicles