1983 Yamaha Venture Royale

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale

Postby DSUZU » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Motorcycle day today. The whole day (it rained off and on). I decided to tackle the "big project" - R+R the gas tank. And some of you think dropping an Isuzu tank is bad. Half the frame has to come apart. Got the tanks swapped, fuel lines run, air cleaner and battery box back on (fuel line hooks to the carbs under the air box). Then I decided to tackle the front brakes. Got tht master cylinder swapped out then I had to take the headlight out for access to the wiring. 4 wires hoof to the brake master. Two for the brake light, and 2 for the low fluid warning light. The brake light was plug and play, but the warning wires had to be fed through the fairing and front forks. Then I swapped out the clutch master. Only 2 wires on this one for clutch safety, again, plug and play. Still have to change the clutch slave. It won't be fun because you have to twist and turn it a certain way to remove and worse to get the new on back in. That will be a different post. Also have to pull the thermostat housing as the O-ring is leaking coolant, exhaust pipe and hopefully not the radiator again. After that, maybe some gas and a test ride time :D Side fairings, bags, and the other "bling" will not go back on until everything is shaken down good. Dennis
Venture gas tank project 001.JPG
Venture gas tank project 002.JPG
Venture gas tank project 003.JPG
Venture gas tank project 004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
shaggydoink
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 626 times

Sponsor

Postby Von » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Now missing Dad's old Venture. he was living with me back then, both of us between wives. He hadn't ridden in decades and found the bike in Oklahoma City. We drove up and I rode it back in the rain. Sure was top heavy compared to my Softail but MAN, that thing was a dream on the highway.

He was a little disappointed the fairing wouldn't fit through the front door on the house, he was wanting to park it in the living room next to my Harley... I did mention we were both single then, right?

I seem to remember him having to replace that O ring too. And the master cylinder. He also had a weird rattle going on we couldn't trace. Then he figured out a baffle in the exhaust was loose inside the resonator or whatever that thing is...
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby -88- » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Man that looks like an absolute horrendous job. 2 Allen head screws, & one 12 or 14 bolt I can have my tank off in 5 min or less. And the Allen head screws can be optional depending how far "off" I need the tank lol......prepping mine for this riding season so far, new battery, plugs (4), drain & replace gas, lube & tighten chain all only took me 45 minutes....I bet you had that just in running/chasing the electrical wires. Oil is low miles, but I still change it for age, so I got that, make new plug wires, and intimating of all fork seals left to do......That brings her all the way back to highway condition, not that I'm not riding it anyways. My right pant leg just gets a little tube oil for good measure ;) lol......Still all the tastey mods, and want to's too, but keeping priorities real atm.....I need to add a longer distance bike to my stable, but watching you I think I'm gonna stay away from the venture :p

It's looking great tho, and I'm sure the progress feels awesome.......BUT, & I'm sure this goes for you too, we're all dying for d-day, when you stick that key in, turn it over, & fire it up.
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:07 pm

So I got into the coolant leak. The hose clamp on the thermostat was left loose :oops:. When I tightened it, coolant oozed out indicating it had been leaking. That's what I get from "sneaking" repair work here and there interrupted by "Dinner's ready". Still had to take the left exhaust pipe off to find that, but it's buttoned up now. Next step: Clutch slave. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 am

That motor looks like a radial airplane engine , atleast half ... You must have some sort of passion/love for that seeing as how it looks like a pita to work on ... Hopefully the clutch job goes smooth , I'd like to see pics of it !!

And all this means that you must be feeling much better too :)
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:24 pm

The vertical moldings on the cylinders give it the radial look. It's actually more of a 60 degree V-4. So yesterday, I worked the evening shift at work (3:00-midnight). Good news was up to say 2:00 was Bike time. Bad news is today I'm semi trashed (body still wants to get up at 5:30, but slept till 6:30. Had to be @ work @ 08:00. I did get the clutch slave swapped out, went much easier this time - maybe because I have experience now. Got the oil and filter changed. Bad news is it seems to have the clutch plates stuck together - common on bikes that have sat a long time. Also, the thermostat O-ring does appear to still be leaking. When I get it started again (maybe tonite?), I'll try breaking the clutch loose. If not, I'll have to pull the case cover (8-10 bolts) and 6 bolts to pull the clutch pack apart - plus tip it to one side so all my fresh oil doesn't pour out.
venture clutch cylinder 001.JPG
venture clutch cylinder 002.JPG
venture clutch cylinder 003.JPG
venture clutch cylinder 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Sheeesh! How'd that thing fit in there? Confined spaces... *shiver*

That yamahammer motor always impressed me. In '07 I was thinking about getting a new touring bike. It was a tossup between the Venture or a Goldwing. The Goldwing beat the Venture on paper, in every way imaginable. But the Venture was just a cool bike. But the only color I could get either one in was black... so I passed. Then got distracted and forgot about buying another bike.

2 of the Venture's biggest drawbacks was carbs instead of injected and the way it's built routine maintenance looked like a hassle compared to the Wing.
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby -88- » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:20 pm

Like this blue one? But only available to you in black? This was an era I really started to fall out off favor with yamaha....too blatantly cloning HD, and not building & doing their own thing. Honda motorcycles didn't set themselves that far apart, but their bikes didn't look like HD ripoffs nearly as much. Thats why i'm loving Victory motorcycles by Polaris so much right now, they're pushing the envelope of modern motorcycle design....Definitely doing their own thing & leaving the others to play catch up.

images-26.jpeg

Dennis has a secret about his bike, but i'll let him tell... .
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Drove it today :D.I ran it for about 20 minutes yesterday, but the clutch was stuck and I figured I'd have to tear it apart to free it up. When I went to put it away for the night, I did a "hail Mary" and put it in gear, pulled the clutch lever in, and rocked it. The hot oil must have done the trick because it broke loose. I fired it up and slowly let the clutch out and she crept forward a few feet. Tomorrow we ride!
Got home today and figured I'd try it right after my "craigslist scrounging". The CL hit the jackpot and I scored a 2006 Subaru Forester for 1500.00. It may need a couple of CV axles, but I've done that before. It does have 194K miles, but that isn't bad for a Subie. It's a one owner car and the owners were going to trade it in for a new one and that's all the dealer offered them on trade so it was offered up for sale (I've been looking for a deal on another Forester for a while since my younger daughter seized "majority possession" of the wife's Forester. Got home from the car wheelin' n dealin" and the wife sez "dinner will be ready in about 10 minutes". Out came the bike... A quick trip around the block (about 1.5 miles) and back to the house. It definitely has one carb that is flooding, so I will most likely have to pull the carbs and clean them good. Of course now "Subaru service" takes precedent over "Motorcycle meddling". I won't trouble you all with another separate thread but stay tuned to the "Venture Adventures" :D. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:11 pm

-88- wrote:Like this blue one? But only available to you in black? .

Yeah. Just like that. The guys at Eddie Hill's said I could order another color but it'd be a year or so before I got it. The dash reminded me of an old Ford. I was riding Harleys back then so the similarities didn't bother me. Road Glide was also on the list but cost an extra 10k. I was getting burnt out on Harley. Still liked the bikes but the company itself and the dealers were getting on my nerves.

Heard a lot of good things about Victory. Out of the bike thing now though... I'm too mortal now. And I don't drink tequila anymore so probably couldn't ride as well....

Dennis! Glad that clutch fixed itself. I love it when a hassle doesn't happen. And congrats on the Sube. Good cars, wish the stepsons would buy a couple so I wouldn't have to work on their crap.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby -88- » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm the same I like HD bikes....vibration & leaks are their main 2 problems. It's the company I don't care for same as you, & more & more here lately the ppl on them....but I can't blame HD for their customers.......But like Deere, Case, & a few others....Expecting us to pay an extra 10-30% for essentially the same product just because the name you slap on the side? Eff you........That being said I can't resist a road glide any more than I can live without breathing.....

Dennis this wasn't a thread jack, just a mild detour. :p

I don't think I responded to your pm yet....your "hail mary" was some slick ssshhht. I woulda never thought of, nor have I heard of nothing like that. I'm filing it away deep in my mind....I think I need to start a Dennis drawer in there at this point. It's sweet it worked out that smooth for ya, the new car.....err distraction does kind of suck tho. So other then the reeking fuel smell & it being a short put run....How'd it ride?
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Bike rode great. It has an on board computerized air ride system that I either haven't figured out yet, or it has an electrical power issue. Could have been a bit stiffer, but rode good. POWER!!!! I last drove a Honda CB750 4 back in 1979. Biggest bike I've driven since then was an XL250, and that's been a good 10 years - XL125 since then - much difference with almost 10X the CCs.
Oh, BTW, when I went to look @ the Subie, there was a Red Spacecab parked there (slightly lowered 2wd). Belongs to the guy's upholstery guy and he LOVES the little truck. Of course I gave my contact # and the address of the Planet. :D

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby -88- » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Tell me it had the best interior ever?

effin Cadillac technology in a motorcycle from the early 80s....that's kinda crazy & a foreseeable PITA....I know it's a huge benefit on the bigger heavier beasts....& even being a air ride fan in other vehicles....On a motorcycle i'm just not a fan, not really sure why, just the thought air ride bike makes me go meh.

I do recall for your dump bed we taught you how to make & intertnetize video.....might be time to dust off those lessons ;) When I have better wifi i've got a walk around of my bike on YouTube already......i'm a big time youngin in it, but i'll post it in here just to break the ice for you ;)
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Yeah, the air system... Dad loved that on his. But it did take him a while to figure out how to use it. Once he figured it out he could load his bags and trailer up and set the suspension so it handled right.
I was jealous... When i loaded my bike and trailer up with camping gear and beer my Hog handled like a cow.

Does yours have the cassette player too?
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby DSUZU » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Yep. Gotta get some "Kenny Rogers" cassettes (retiree/ full dresser/motorhome music :D). Has me wondering if anybody has figured out how to convert to CD. Gotta have my Skynrd music. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby itsmehb » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Gotta have my Skynrd music. Dennis

Hey Dennis,
There live Saturday nite here at the Texas motor speedway, Ride that bike over here and take in a race and a concert!
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 210 times

Postby Von » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:16 pm

DSUZU wrote:Yep. Gotta get some "Kenny Rogers" cassettes (retiree/ full dresser/motorhome music :D). Has me wondering if anybody has figured out how to convert to CD. Gotta have my Skynrd music. Dennis

Discman with a cassette adapter?

Dad's cassette player was broke. He looked into different stereos but it wasnt a standard DIN. I think he found a few options but they were too pricey for his fixed income. And he didn't want to take a Dremel to his fairing to make a single DIN fit.
This was 10 years ago so there are a lot more options now.

When I was shopping for stereos for my truck I looked at a Bluetooth receiver that was mounted under the dash and synced with your phone. Play mp3s or radio app on your phone and its routed through the reciever. Pretty slick but $250. And the added headache of keeping your phone charged and data usage.
I ended up getting an AM/FM receiver for a boat. Small package, tough. No CD though.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby -88- » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:29 am

What's a cassette player?

i'm not really that young, I just wanted ya'll to feel that old. :D Definitely come out for the race & concert Dennis. It's not that far for Von either.....between the 3 of you, i'll show you all one heck of a good time.....I promise I won't take bets on the side who has a heart attack first. :D

I found my video......sheesh from 5 years ago :/ boy time flies. This was made for another group, but the bike is well showcased......NSFW for foul language, but I do keep my clothes on.

https://youtu.be/timmvtt5eeY
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:55 am

Glad to hear you got to take the bike for a spin !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby DSUZU » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:55 am

-88- wrote:What's a cassette player?

Aw come on. It replaced the 8 track :D . Dennis
P.S. Getting warmed up good seems to have stopped the leaking O-ring. D.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:09 am

I've seen a lot of people just put in a small amp with 3.5mm headphone jack input. You can run all your tunes off of an iphone/ipod/MP3 player. They are popular for bikes because you can hide them under the seat or somewhere (about the size of a deck of cards) and then just run power and speaker wire. I've considered putting one on my scooter, but don't want to cut the glovebox for the speakers...
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby DSUZU » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:06 pm

I have to confess: 8 tracks, I remember. Cassettes. I know, CDs, I have figured out. But IPODS... MP3s... I'm feelin my age. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:52 pm

DSUZU wrote:I have to confess: 8 tracks, I remember. Cassettes. I know, CDs, I have figured out. But IPODS... MP3s... I'm feelin my age. Dennis

From an old man's perspective... (although I think you've got a decade on me Dennis..)

I tried the MP3 player thing with my bike. Hassle, really. It's not like your favorite CD (or 8 track) where you know what songs are next and you know when to hit the "next" button.
The best thing about MP3s is the compression, you can cram a ton of music into a little bit of memory. But it's just too much! With MP3s you only have your favorite songs... and a TON of them. You have to organize them. You HAVE to. By artist or mood or whatever. And that means having an interface for picking a folder to play from or a playlist. And that is just a HASSLE, pure and simple. It's one thing sitting at your desk and moving a mouse around, but on your bike...

And THEN you find yourself obsessing about the playlists. You're constantly refining them.. because you can... and when you're listening to them you're busy critiquing and mentally making notes on songs to add or remove instead of enjoying the tunes and your bike. ... I finally gave up and just put louder pipes on the bike.

If you really want your tunes as you like them now... on CD... Check into putting a CD changer in a saddle bag or luggage trunk and see what head units are available now. Maybe made for a boat or bike and has a smaller foot print that'll fit in your fairing. Or a remote velcroed to the console
Or just listen to the engine.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby -88- » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Okay one you're obsessive as hell about it.....I had like 1000 songs on my mp3 player, set it on shuffle & hit play.....2 chose the player wisely so key BUTTONS (a must) are easily accessible, volume, pause play, & next....song comes on your not in the mood for hit that easily accessible big next button......

Dennis has atleast one daughter that can get him set up good to catch up with society/technology....
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:26 am

iPod shuffle. Those things were idiot proof and have the easily accessible buttons like a tape player has. You can load tons of songs and just hit play. If you don't like a song, next! It'd be easier to do one of those and a simple amp than hauling around all the cassettes or CDs. Plus, you could have it all for less than $100.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu