93 Chevy No start

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

93 Chevy No start

Postby Von » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:08 pm

The truck the youngest one is driving. Besides ALL the other stuff wrong with it... It won't start unless he dumps gas down the throttle body. It'll bust right off and run fine but won't restart when he shuts it off.

This started last week. A buddy of his who worked in his Dad's shop said it sounded like the fuel pump. He called his dad and they talked, thought it was some valve or something in the pump that pressurizes for startup... I don't know.

They replaced the fuel pump, it ran great that night. Next day it was doing the same thing. the boy kept going on about the injectors but I wouldn't do it, I didn't think the injectors had anything to do with it.

He talked his dad into helping him change the injectors. Still the same thing.

I read in some Chevy forums about the ignition control module causing that. His dad had changed that out a few months ago, but we pulled it off and took it in to have it tested. And it tested bad, so I bought a new one.

And now it's still doing the same thing. The injectors are squirting fuel during startup. I haven't checked fuel pressure at startup yet, no test port. They stop squirting if he presses the gas pedal during startup.. can't seem to convince him it's not a carb.

It does have spark, it bit the crap out of me when I was checking that... tasted like just the right amount of spark too.

Any ideas?
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Sponsor

Re: 93 Chevy No start

Postby SurferJoe » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:42 pm

If it were me, I'd suspect that the signal to energize the ignition is missing during CRANK ON MODE.

This could be in the ignition switch, the ecm or some sort of power loss to the ignition commanded ON cycle.

That it runs after fuel being poured down it's throat tells me the ecm "sees" the engine running, and has successfully kept the pump running so I'll prolly discount the cam- and/or the crank- position sensors as a problem.

But first.....
I'd run an electrical test on the fuel pump 12V power line to see if it is energized during CRANK ON MODE first. It will be on the same wire, as both the CRANK ON and the RUN ON command are on the same wire at any test point from the relay/switch „Äčthe pump.

After this test, we can talk some more ..? But this is an important test to make I believe.
Joe Vreeland - In The Bitterroot Valley, Montana

For this post the author SurferJoe was thanked by:
Von
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby Von » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks Joe! If that hunk of junk comes back up the priority list I'll check that out. That boy has totally ragged that pickup out... His dad gave him another vehicle, 06 grand Cherokee, so the pickup is just sitting in the driveway taking up space.

Eventually I'll get back to that one... Thanks for giving me a starting point!
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby SurferJoe » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:21 am

No problem.... I feel at my age, I don't have a lot of time to pay it forward much longer, so I try to st least try to pay it kinda sideways, like a shovel pass.

I think you get put on the hurry up list sooner than you want. Jeeps are fearfully unreliable.

Take care. j.
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Postby Gen1Trooper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Crank position sensor?
Gen1Trooper
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby Von » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Gen1Trooper wrote:Crank position sensor?

meh... I dunno. There's so much wrong with that truck... and it's been abused so badly... it's hard to know where to start on which problem.
And after they replaced the injectors it started making a horrible sucking sound I traced to the IAC. They forgot something or broke something... I can stuck my pinky down the throttle body and plug it up, stop the hissing. That seems weird... And of course the idle is WAY up there. I haven't gone any further than that.

The transmission is shot, 1st and reverse only. The power brake booster is shot, as well as the rear brakes. I think one of the rear wheel cylinders over extended and pushed it's guts out into the drum. Lots of grinding and stuff going on in reverse that he thinks is the transfer case(?), lots of brake fluid dribbling down the inside of the tire..
Key broke off in the ignition, various electrical issues from his buddies installing "systems" and light bars. Dash, kick panels and door panels trashed/broken/loose from the previously mentioned wiring shenanigans.
He got tagged in the left rear quarter, crunched the bed a little and split the seam in the bed floor. Then he rear ended a Suburban. The Ranch Hand grill guard held up fine, but it got pushed into his hood and fenders and screwed them up.
Still has the same coolant leak I warned him about when I handed him the keys, so IF there's anything in the radiator and jackets it's just water... sitting in the driveway all winter...

And there's still no title, probably never will be. So options are limited. But I won't put another dime in it until he's done with it. Then I'll sell the rolling chassis and body to a local, along with the NP200 transfer case I'll pull from my truck, and they can find some Rockwells and set it up to run at Rednecks With Paychecks.

In the meantime, when I have time, I'd like to get it running good enough to at least see if the engine is still any good. Can always use an extra 350. Ha, the engine in my truck came from one of his brother's vehicles... fitting for my spare engine to come from one of his..

It has a G80 10 bolt rear... thought about measuring to see how it'd fit under the Fairlane.. That GM 6 bolt pattern would look funny though.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby SurferJoe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:30 am

Pull the parts you think are useful and still decently good and call a wrecker for the shell.

No pink means a lot of grief, and mechanically it has that...... er ....... bag of dead kittens....... appeal. I had to chop a car in half once and haul it myself to a scrap yard on two different days because I didn't have the pink.
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:13 am

SurferJoe wrote:Pull the parts you think are useful and still decently good and call a wrecker for the shell.

No pink means a lot of grief, and mechanically it has that...... er ....... bag of dead kittens....... appeal. I had to chop a car in half once and haul it myself to a scrap yard on two different days because I didn't have the pink.

Bag of dead kittens appeal... LOL, it definitely has that.

Don't remember if I ever detailed this part... When I bought the truck I was still on LOA recovering from the wreck that totaled my Trooper and crushed a vertebrate. I had known the guy that had it years ago when he worked out here. He worked with me on holding it till I got the cash together. When he brought it to me he trailered it over and then hopped back in his truck saying the title was at his Dad's house in Bowie, if I sent him my address he'd have his Dad mail it to me.
I wasn't happy about that but.. okay. I'm wearing a back brace and can barely walk... I'm gonna run down the street chasing him down? 2 months later I call him up asking about the title. Said he'd told his Dad to mail it... Nope, nuthin. He called me back the next day in a tizzy. He'd confronted his dad about it and found out the old man had taken out a title loan on the truck.
We spent the next couple of years with him (I assume) making payments on his Dad's loan and me hassling him about tag renewal every year.

Skip forward to about a year ago....

The boy is pulling through an intersection and a lady runs a red light and tags him in the rear quarter. Her car had paper tags on it, recently bought it. Later we find out her insurance company had dropped her for non payment before the accident. I turn it over to my insurance, uninsured motorist coverage.
They finally got done with whatever they were doing.... Thursday I got a check for the damages, $2177. It's made out to me, my wife... and the title loan company that dude got a loan with.
I texted him... he never answers my calls anymore.... asked him what the balance was, told him it'd been wrecked and I had a check made out to me and the loan company. Haven't heard from him.

Monday or Tuesday I'll call up the loan company and see if they'll work with me on getting the title in my hand. At least I'll find out if he's been making payments and if they've been looking for it...
If I have a title I'll be much more inclined to actually fix the stupid thing.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby SurferJoe » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Gaaaack!

Does you state permit "Injured Party" claims? Seems to me you'd qualify.
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Postby Von » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Don't know, I'll have to check into that.
Von
Expedition Ready

Return to Other Vehicles