Reviving the M715, Chevy 350/700r4

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: Reviving the M715, Chevy 350/700r4

Postby Von » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 am

I used to be a pretty decent welder. I had a Miller Bobcat gas welder then and built carports and steel buildings on the side. I was welding ALL the time back then. Need to practice more and get back into the swing of things. Welding is one of those "use it or lose it" things. Doesn't take long to "forget" stuff if you go a while without welding.

My wire welder is okay when it's not having feed issues and I bought a replacement Lincoln cracker box after the breakin, but I still haven't used the Lincoln. On the exhaust.. I was there, it was already on his lift and I had a 20 in my pocket...

I like his ideas on replacing the exhaust from the muffler forward (he doesn't like any of what's there..) But there's the TC crossmember in the way. and I'll re run my fuel lines first. Way down the road....

I did some porting and polishing on the heads and intake for a Chevy 383 stroker I built years ago. Just smoothed up what I could reach with the Dremel and gasket matched the ports. I think it turned out okay. That was a sweet running engine, still kicking myself for trading that truck off.

My dad did the same thing with the family videos. Recorded papa's 8mm with his VHS and my brother in law transferred all those to DVD.

Chicken in a crock pot... tough to get it right. We've done two roasted whole birds, first one was pretty gross... 5 or 6 hours on low turned out okay.

I made lasagna yesterday. Pretty darn good I think. Didn't get fancy with it, just the basic American Lasagna recipe at Allrecipes. I was thinking about throwing the pork ribs in the cooker but the fridge is full of leftovers right now. Still have half a pot of Sloppy Joes and we only had two servings of that lasagna out the 9x13 pan. And there's other leftovers still in there. Need to clean the fridge out...

I put my wife's Maxima in the shop Monday. She was parking at a store and ran the front of her car over a parking curb that was too high. When she backed off of it it broke half the mounting tabs on the front "bumper" and tore the plastic apron/splash guard/cover thingy out from underneath it. One end of the bumper cover was flopping around. I could redrill some mounting holes underneath but I couldn't do anything with the end flopping around in the wind. Not without copious amounts of sheet metal screws and duct tape... Went ahead and filed a claim on it, have it done right..
So she's driving the GTP and I'm driving the truck.
Anyway.. That's why I'm not doing the intake manifold gasket today... But I will go fill up a couple of gas cans and see if the Fairlane will start.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Sponsor

Postby N law » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Von wrote:I put my wife's Maxima in the shop Monday. She was parking at a store and ran the front of her car over a parking curb that was too high. When she backed off of it it broke half the mounting tabs on the front "bumper" and tore the plastic apron/splash guard/cover thingy out from underneath it. One end of the bumper cover was flopping around. I could redrill some mounting holes underneath but I couldn't do anything with the end flopping around in the wind. Not without copious amounts of sheet metal screws and duct tape... Went ahead and filed a claim on it, have it done right..
So she's driving the GTP and I'm driving the truck.

The girl I dated in high school did that once. It was at a church parking lot where they skimped on curbs- they put them in every other space. She got in, saw there were no curbs and pulled on through the space! She got stuck on the curb about where the rear floor board in her civic was. The worst part was that they used rebar to pin the curbs to the ground and about an inch of rebar was sticking up! Her car was stuck. She called me and we jacked it up and pulled it off to the side before driving back over the curb. It was a mess. Then we had to patch the floor! I threw it on the lift and hammered it flat before pop riveting a license plate to the bottom (it was thicker than the floor!) and the undercoating it. Fun times...
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby -88- » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm not giving it away.....but this thread is gonna be getting the sweetest update.

like seriously guess what Von did? You won't guess, but he did it twice & it's pretty effin cool for how messed up it is.....hint he didn't squish the m715 over the tops of two different beetles..........But yea ya'll need to brace yourselves cuz it's coming.

& i'm a a-hole building anticipation like this, but I know he's gonna tell the story so well it deserves this anticipation. :D
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby Von » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:19 pm

-88- wrote:& i'm a a-hole building anticipation like this, but I know he's gonna tell the story so well it deserves this anticipation. :D

:roll: Ya think? If my wife ever reads any of this and meets you she's liable to smack ya upside the head as a co conspirator. She's still not amused.... And she still doesn't know about the Mighty Wife tag you gave her. ... Pretty accurate though, I like it. She's a force of nature sometimes.
Nah, she'd be nice to you and take it out on me...

Anyway... been working on the update, most of Day 1 is documented in the drafts folder. It's been a hellday at work and haven't had much time for important stuff like this. I may finish it up tonight at home.... depends on the door slams:dirty looks ratio.

... how's that for anticipation building?
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby hessmess » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:11 pm

You guys are killing me!
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 140 times

Postby -88- » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 pm

SHE KNOWS ABOUT "THE MIGHTY WIFE"! You let it slip & she's onto us....& i'm legitimately scared for myself & concerned for your safety.

For those wondering, when he got home......Von was in very,very,very deep doo-doo.....If he's alive I suspect he put all effort into getting brownie points back & didn't even glance at the computer.....

I'll give the news a few days to report on finding the body, if by this time next week we haven't heard from him....we should expect the worse.....& then I'll tell the tale of why he vanished to never be heard from again.
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:45 am

You guys are terrible , here I am trying to read all through the next edition of hunger games , black male , HEAD jobs , giggling !!!

Yeah I had to jump up from my nice comfortable (warm) spot on the couch and pull out the heavyass buried in the cubord crockpot just so I could dig out done frozen chicken breasts in for over night ... Yeah completely putting the blame on you guys !!! To bad my one (cooking for grease monkeys)thread doesn't get all these recipe's ... Seems to always be a girl (in my case sister n law) that runs over a curb or divider ...

And now I'm falling asleep , BOOO !!!!

Keep up the good work and adventure !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 362 times

Postby Von » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:25 am

So, Stuck Fest 2016.

Prologue...
Friday, the day before our anniversary... In-laws come into town to visit a friend in the hospital, stay the night at our house and leave early in the morning. We were going to go to the German fest in Muenster after they left.

About 6pm Josh calls and asks if he can borrow the truck. F that. "C'mon, Austin is stuck at the lake. He's pulled me out a bunch and I need to pull him out. I won't do anything stupid." F a bunch of that.
.. We've got about 3 hours before my mother in law and father in law are back, the pulled pork is ready to make sammiches... I tell my wife I'll run out there real quick. An hour drive time both ways and 2 hours to yank Austin out, no prob. She gives me the eyeball and I head out.

When I found them.. from the direction they came in..
IMG_20160422_183054447.jpg

That's as close as I was getting from that direction... I started to leave then and say Adios, you're SOL. They said if you come in from the other direction, by the road and come down the hill.... So I took the truck around the other direction and putted over, no problem.
IMG_20160422_183154805_HDR.jpg

The green truck, Aaron, he'd been there since Thursday afternoon... in the company truck.

OH, the backhoe. Dirty Mike brought that out there. He works(worked?) for a contractor on the base. Brand new hoe, less than 30 hours on it. He just drove off with it. From Sheppard AFB to Scotland, said it took 2.5 hours. And I know one of the reasons they call him Dirty Mike. Meth may be involved too, I don't know. I tried to stay away from him.

They do a little digging, we gather all the chains and straps and such and I back down the hill.
IMG_20160422_190724504.jpg

One guy digging... 3 or 4 standing around... a lot of that going on. A crowd was starting to filter in.

I yanked on Austin's truck 5 or 6 times and finally popped him out. Cool, I'll go home.

Well... Dustin had come out in his Titan. But his CV joints were going out so he didn't come all the way out... just far enough off the road to get stuck, could I get him out too?. I swing around and hit a bog getting to him. Lots of back and forth and the boys pushing and I got out, backed in from a different angle and got Dustin out. Cool, I can go home.

But while I was pulling Dustin out Austin was coming up the hill and cutting toward where we were and got stuck again. ..... So I swing back around and was going to back in behind Austin and pull him out of that mess. Tied on to him and as soon as I started pulling and breaking the surface my 36" pizza cutters went straight down. Even in that flat area at the top of the hill, it was so waterlogged... NO bottom.

By this time it was starting to get late and I knew I wasn't making it back in time. Called the wife... "whatever..."

Somebody with an international key hopped in Dirty Mike's backhoe and started working on the green Chevy in the bottom. He tore up that hill pretty good and managed to pull green truck to where Austin's white truck was when I pulled it out.
He decided to come in from a different angle and took the backhoe into the weeds off to the left side of Pic #2.
Sank it. He jacked around with the bucket and hoe trying to get himself out, moved around a lot and pulled a few trees out of the ground... but pretty much just turned that whole area into a really deep, sloppy, soupy mess. Last I saw it the hoe and the cab were still visible.

The whole time all this is happening there's people filtering in on foot. Parking on the road and wandering around. Some are coming back in their trucks... and getting stuck. Others coming in to pull them... and getting stuck. We're all taking turns pulling each other out.

Todd pulls somebody out in his big Chevy, then ties on to me and pulls me out. I'm cranking the wheels to the left and then the spline clamp on my steering shaft gives up the ghost!. He's still pulling and my truck is going to the right, straight into a known sh!thole that swallowed a guy up to his knees!
I'm screaming stop, everybody screams stop, Todd is trying not to get stuck so he's nailing it, I'm turning the other direction and stopping him... and he digs himself in good.
The pit I land in swallows the passenger side of my truck. I shut it off and can feel it sinking on that side... until the frame is settled in good...

IMG_20160423_121804354.jpg

And then... This really BAD AF CJ comes around the corner, from where the first two idiots came in. It's chopped up, lifted sky high, Dana 60 front, rear is Dana 70 or 14 bolt, really couldn't tell, riding 44" TSLs.

He comes hopping around the green chevy, turns around hops out and starts unspooling winch cable. Pretty much everybody has axles and frames sitting on the ground and we're watching to see how he does... and all edging to get in line..

He tugs for a bit and just can't get the green chevy pulled out of the hole. Too light. So we're waiting for him to get up the hill and rescue all of us...
ALL he has to do is back up. Just back up the hill. Just put it in reverse and back up. That's it. Piece of cake.

We hear his trans going to reverse... He sits there a second... And I swear to God, I can hear Super Hero music playing inside his head! I can SEE his head swelling to the beat...

He shifts to low and everyone holds their breath or starts mumbling "nonononono". He cranks the wheels to the left and jumps off into the deep, sloppy, soupy mess the backhoe made. Immediately sinks to the frame and his big 44's are just spinning away.... Then he burns up his winch taking down all the trees within reach that the backhoe had left behind. D-bag.

Some people started making beer runs and others, like me, are arraigning rides home. I got home about 1:30 in the AM.

I took that last pic the next morning when I got back out there.

And the cacti... everywhere. I'm still pulling little cactus stingers out of my hands, knees and ankles.

so that was Day 1....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby itsmehb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:37 am

@#%t, this isn't good. I just watched the forecast and we're supposed to get hammered this evening with bad weather. Did you ever get to Germanfest. Visited many of those in the past. Did the run several times, and even did the 40 mile bike ride about 8 years ago. Now when I go there it's a plate of german food and some imported beer. Missed it this year.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 194 times

Postby Von » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 pm

-88- wrote:SHE KNOWS ABOUT "THE MIGHTY WIFE"! You let it slip & she's onto us....& i'm legitimately scared for myself & concerned for your safety.

For those wondering, when he got home......Von was in very,very,very deep doo-doo.....If he's alive I suspect he put all effort into getting brownie points back & didn't even glance at the computer.....

I'll give the news a few days to report on finding the body, if by this time next week we haven't heard from him....we should expect the worse.....& then I'll tell the tale of why he vanished to never be heard from again.

It's all good in the hood... pretty much. I'll be hearing about it for years though. They all have to keep a trump card in their pocket to pull out and slap you with every once in a while. This is her new trump card.

I was a few blocks from the house last night on the way home, storm blowing in, and saw a power pole get knocked over and the transformer blew up. So we were without power till about 11:45. I think a tree or shed or trampoline or something got blown into it and knocked it over.
Just sit on the porch with a lantern and listen to the neighborhood freak out. Fun.

She asked me last night... "What's up with James and pancakes?" If you come up to work on that 2.6 we may have to change your name to John or Albert or something and mention how much you hate pancakes... we'll see.

Not quite as hectic today, I'll start documenting Day 2 after lunch. Had engineers from HQ trying a couple of new formulations on our line. It didn't go well...

Oh look! it's lunch time!
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby -88- » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:24 pm

The storm ended up being very disappointing down here. I was wondering about you & itsmehb...Harry hasn't mentioned the weather in any of his postings 2day so I guess they went alright for him too? Eh Harry?

Glad you survived okay & got a good show. I took a bunch of precautions for no reason. Whish a little more woulda hit here....got good rain, thunder, & lightning for 20-30 minutes...And for maybe 2 minutes a real light dusting of up-to nickel sized hail.

Not IF....but WHEN I come up! But i'm not gonna hide like that. You already said it she'll be nice to me & take it out on you later....I can live with that. :D Besides maybe if you give me credit for that desert it'll bounce me back up? Did she take you deleting her comments hard/bad? I was wondering how that part went over too? Atleast it sounds like while I didn't help, I didn't make it worse either......Glad she's evening out some tho, & glader still we all made it through the storms mostly unscaved.
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:03 am

The storm was really heavy for about 2 minutes, just as I got home. I think an "almost" tornado blew through. SW Parkway was blocked when I went to work yesterday because of the pole I saw get knocked down. Turned around and went down Jacksboro Hwy and saw 4 more poles knocked down within 3 blocks.
My back yard is full of tree limbs and roofing shingles, but I don't think any of the shingles are mine. Lots of big pine cones too... I don't have a Pine in my back yard.
ONCOR said there was over 7000 people without power, 146 outages.

I deleted my post and hers. Besides the reply to my post she also made a similar post on my wall. Don't think she's noticed but she probably won't care, might even be grateful. She hates FB. And she hates being mentioned on FB even more. She did say it took her 3 hours to write the post she made.... just from editing... didn't want EVERYBODY to know how vicious she is when she's mad.

About half of Day 2 is in the drafts folder. I slept in on my only day off and now I HAVE to dispose of Josh's boat. The city red tagged it for expired tags and I need to get it gone before the fines start.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby -88- » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:24 pm

If those were her dialed back comments i'm glad I....well all of us didn't get it with both cannons. Yikes. :/

Those power outage numbers just for your area? No TV so I really haven't heard much, hoping Harry fills us in on the metroplex.

Stoopid boat.
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:37 pm

I hauled Josh's POS Bayliner to the landfill, kicked it off the trailer and then sold the trailer for scrap metal, got $23...

On the way out of the scrap yard I saw this:
IMG_20160428_114350407.jpg

Planned on pulling the intake on the truck this afternoon and replacing the gasket. Just not feeling it though. Think I'll get my wood burning stove and drill press off the trailer, need to gt that trailer out of the back yard.

Guess I could park it where the boat was and see how long it takes the city to red tag it... Debating fixing the axles on it, add a dovetail and some ramps and making a car hauler out of it. or telling Mike to sell it, don't know yet.
They don't have a place for it and said I could have it or he could sell it. 14', way too high, and house trailer axles that were never installed right... and tires are PITA to find for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby Von » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:54 am

Day 2 of Stuck Fest 2016. Got up early to visit with my Mother in law and Father in law. Gave Nana a hug and talked stuck Jeeps and politics with Mike. Good people, love em.

Josh "heard" the night before that somebody was lining up a dozer to get everybody out for about 3pm. After the inlaws left wife went to work, I started calling Josh and Brayden to double check times. Didn't want to miss the dozer... Still nothing set in stone. Brayden says let's just go dig it out.
Not one to pass up free labor and not wanting to miss the dozer, I told them I'd meet them out there.
I loaded up the GTP with all the shovels and lumber I could fit in there... which is actually quite a bit with the back seats folded down. 6' 2x8, 4' 2x6, a couple of 6' landscaping timbers, 6 2x2 sheets of 1/2" plywood... assorted bits of 2x4 and 4x4...
Monster truck D-bag was asking around for a Hi-Lift the night before. I had one in my truck but he didn't have anything to put under it and neither did I. I left it in the truck so it wouldn't get buried like our trucks...

There was just a pile of empty fast food bags and beer cans where Austin's truck was. They'd gotten out about 3am. The D-bag had gotten his monster Jeep out sometime in the morning. There was a new truck out there, Chris's 2x dodge with street tires.

Before I left the night before Todd and a couple of others had gotten out and convoyed the heck out of there. So mine, Chris's Dodge, Aron's green company truck and the backhoe were the only ones still out there.

My truck still looked like this:
IMG_20160423_121804354.jpg

Chris just got a job at Jalapeno Tree, on probation, and was going to be late. So one of the boys gave him a ride to work and he gave Brayden his keys. "We'll get your's out too and I'll bring it to you."

We jacked the front of my truck up and started digging, braced the frame and diff with landscaping timbers and got a better bite with the jack, jacked it up some more and dug some more. The driver's side wasn't in too deep so we just cleaned up around the tires. On the passenger side we used the 2x8 and 2x6 to make "bridges"... Stuffed as much as we could under the 2x's for support. ended up leaving the Hi-Lift under the rear for support too, the limber wasn't going to hold. Normally I'd be adverse to such wanton disregard for my tail gate or my 25 year old jack, but...
Honestly didn't think it would work. It did! Fired her up and let her warm up a little. Lit a cig for luck and nailed it. Jumped right out of the hole and hauled @ss for the road!
IMG_20160423_133439229.jpg

I was out! Cool, I can go home!

I parked by the road... again... and walked back to where Brayden was working on Chris' truck. We dug a little and pushed... no go.

Aron and some of the others had come back and started digging around the company truck. And we were starting to get a pretty good crowd of observers.

He's making frequent runs back up the hill to see who's there, who's stuck and waiting for a loose truck to pull him out... telling everybody he just needs one good tug... (his 3rd day, I don't blame him)

Brayden was giving up on Chris' truck... or giving up on digging anyway. "C'mon Kerry, you can make it back around here and give me a yank from back here and I'll follow you out the way you came in." I kept telling him.. bad idea, bad idea...

At 10 years old that butthead figured out just the tight amount of whining and pleading to get me to do stuff I don't wanna do...
*sigh* Alright, we'll walk the route I took out and see if the 2x will make it, some of it felt pretty squishy... Along the way I spot several areas where I was just a foot or two away from another leg eating bog. It was like a mine field. Nasty, boggy, bottomless pits scattered all over the place.

As usual, no problem getting back out there. Tie on to Chris' truck and give him a little pull onto some firmer ground. We both get pointed in the right direction and head out. Everything's going smooth, then Ploop! I just start sinking. Give it a little gas and the tires just saw right through it and the frame is on the ground again.

We do some jacking and digging... toss some wood under the tires again. Get to moving and as soon as I'm off the boards it just sinks. Didn't even bother giving it gas this time, that's just more digging....
IMG_20160423_193000173_HDR.jpg

We tried pushing and digging with Chris', nada.

I should have taken some pics of the people just walking around, watching all the digging.. Sometimes I thought it was funny, others it just pissed me off. A good 75% of those peckernecks have eaten at my house.

One of the boy's friends shows up with a bunch of airmen. They were hangin at the mall and he told them there was a bunch of people stuck at the lake... Wichita Falls girls love guys with muddy jeans...
I think there was 6 of them in a square body 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban, winch and 33" all terrains. They pull around Chris' truck to get behind mine and get stuck.
I tell them go ahead and tie on, either they'll pull me out or I'll be anchor and they'll pull themselves out... They pulled me back about 15 feet, not out at all. My tires were just cutting through, even at idle or in neutral, and I went even deeper in the muck. But they got out.

They got stuck some more getting back behind the Dodge. More pushing and rocking, some digging, lots of talk from the airmen.. They finally got in position and latched on to the Dodge. They were trying the "winching while nailing it in reverse and burying yourself " technique. More pushing, rocking, digging. Suburban overheating a little.... Latch on and winch some more. not getting anywhere. 2 airmen talking smack while the others have their hands in their pockets and explaining how their technical expertise doesn't apply to this situation.. Officer material there.
At this point I'm wishing whatshisface had found a truckload of Marines instead. Not dissing the Air Force in general.. just these particular putzes. The guy that owned the truck and the guy driving were both mouthy Aholes, the others were nice guys, just useless.

Josh... He gets his temper, his mouth and lack of filter from his Mom. Josh says.. "Look, I really do appreciate what you guys are doing, coming out here and helping and all... But you don't have to be @ssh*les about it." All of us that know Josh just started shaking our heads and chuckling... Ol Josh...

Of course there was a little bluster and talk from the airmen but they loaded up and left. Just as well, they really weren't much help at all.

Oh, while we were jacking around with the airmen up on the flats, a nice looking wrangler and a late 80s Bronco had come in. The Bronco got a little stuck right off the bat. The Wrangler went down to the hill where I had pulled Austin out and he was working on winching Aron's company truck out. Once the Bronco got loose he worked his way back there and anchored the Wrangler and they pulled him out.
The Bronco got stuck again getting back to the road and ripped the wiring for his electric front locker out. He stayed on solid ground after that.

Those two had come out because they knew Chris and pulling him out of mudholes is a habit with them. Older fellas but not as ancient as me. And they know how to winch. The big fella in the Wrangler is JR or RJ, can't remember... he has a nephew that's stayed at my house sometimes. And the bigger fella in the Bronco is Yeti. It fits. I still have their shovels, need to contact them...

Anyway, after pulling Aron out the Wrangler came over to work on the Dodge. More digging, jacking, stacking wood, winching...

Aron got stuck again on the way to the road and Yeti was reeling him in from the terra firma.

Finally got the Dodge out... then it got stuck again. But it was within reach of Yeti's cable and he started pulling that one in too.

By this time it was almost dark again.... Wrangler came over and hooked up to mine. We made a little progress but Mine was just too stuck and too heavy. The little Wrangler was sliding toward me. Yeti was totally averse to bringing his Bronco anywhere near soft ground again so he couldn't anchor.

They stuck around as long as they could while we made calls and FB posts looking for another anchor truck. Everybody I know runs diesels, they didn't need to be out there.
Josh is a member of the Wichita Falls Off Road and Recovery group. One of the guys on that group said he could come out after he got off work.

We did some more prep work waiting for him. Jacked the truck back up and piled more lumber under it. One of the problems the Wrangler had was that my tires just weren't getting on top of the mud.

It was probably around 9:30 when Chris got out there. He has a crew cab Dodge gasser and fat all terrains. He just putted out and latched on, pulled me right out. I gave him 40 for fuel and he putted back out.

It was a long, chilly, wobbly ride home. She was all over the road at 30 MPH. I stopped in Scotland and scraped what I could off the wheels with a screw driver, then I could get close to 50 MPH...

I'll be posting about my winch soon, I'm sure. I'll need assistance figuring out the wiring on it.... and the manual won't help.

I bought that Hi-Lift when I had my 72 Jimmy. I only used it once to pull a wheel off... and that was pretty scary with 33s, a 2 inch lift and factory bumpers. Only got the Jimmy stuck once and winched myself out. I used the jack a few times over the years to move stuff around..... But I am now a believer in the Hi-Lift.

Spent about 6 hours with the power washer Sunday... what a mess....
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby hessmess » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Wow, that is an adventure you could do without! I am thinking winch, lockers, winch anchoring system....or just stay out of swamps!
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby -88- » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Epic! Times epic 7! I think you've already got both lockers installedfor this adventure? Maybe just the one...m715 info kind of overwhelms my brain....14 pages & we've covered so much. But Harry brings up a good point & it's definitely on my list especially when I have a whinch, but some type of earth anchor will be in my "gear". Depending on where you're wheeling in Tx counting on nature to provide good anchor points can be down right foolish.....And if you're in a small group or a spot like you were it just might make the difference. Sounds way to soft for /you/ to of whinched off the anchor, but burried behind the jeep when he was pulling you it just might've been enough to stop his slide. Effin epic.
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:59 pm

-88- wrote:If those were her dialed back comments i'm glad I....well all of us didn't get it with both cannons. Yikes. :/

Those power outage numbers just for your area? No TV so I really haven't heard much, hoping Harry fills us in on the metroplex.

Stoopid boat.

hard to decipher the numbers from ONCOR's website. Dude on the radio confirmed similar numbers the next day.

Oh, got the trailer in the back yard all cleaned out Thursday. yay, more crap in the shop! All I need to do is buy or build a hitch lock and I'll get that thing out of the yard.
Put this in the shop:
IMG_20160428_163029079.jpg

Don't know if I'll keep it there or not. Hate to give up that much real-estate but it might come in handy this winter. I'll juggle stuff around before I cut a hole in the wall for a pipe. Maybe move some stuff that can handle a little heat over there.
That stove can put out the heat too, used to have it in my den at the old house... pre new heat pump. LOL, my Dad took a saw to his ex wife's favorite table and had that stove cherry red... it was awesome.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Wow !!

That sounds like a total suck fest but somewhat in a good way... Can't imagine fighting to get out of the mud that long but I garrontee it would teach you some things ... I'm glad you got out finally and made it home ... Did your pitman arm slip or strip ? Or was it just the steering shaft came loose ..?
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 362 times

Postby Von » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Just the steering shaft. I replaced that coupling when I put the engine in. Didn't get it tight enough I guess. It slipped like that shortly after I got it on the road... I tightened it up more. I was worried I'd snap the bolt then. But I guess when your front tires are deep in the muck and there's a 220 lb chunk of lard hanging off the steering wheel... something's gotta give.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby Von » Tue May 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Von wrote:Guess I could park it where the boat was and see how long it takes the city to red tag it...

One day.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby N law » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Hahaha! That's funny. I'm glad I haven't had the "inoperable vehicle" notice at my house. I'm kind of surprised. Not because of anything I have now, but one or two before were very rough. I only have one that is inoperable and it has antique tags on it, so they can't say anything about it!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Tue May 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Code Enforcement Dude can't possibly be that On the Ball... Either they live in this neighborhood or (more likely) One of the old biddies that go for evening walks past my house is reporting stuff. *sigh* missin my paintball gun.

Guess I'll have to tag the stupid thing. And air up the tires on the Z71, 2 of them are almost flat. They can't see the expired stickers from the street they way it's parked but they'll tag em for flat tires too.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby N law » Tue May 03, 2016 3:44 pm

He probably had to circle back around and check on the boat before fining you. That's when he saw the other one.

This sounds like you need to play the game! If I were in this situation, I would be finding ways to be legal in the letter, but not in the spirit and have fun with them. I'm glad I don't have an HOA...
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby hessmess » Tue May 03, 2016 8:52 pm

As long as they are not on the street here, they won't say much. My neighbors have been good with all the crap I drag home.
88 Trooper (recycled)
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Vehicles