Rental truck reviews. (Title Change)

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Rental truck reviews. (Title Change)

Postby Cronk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 pm

So there was an issue with my regular work truck and it needed to be sent away. My replacement vehicle is a Black on Black 2014 Silverado through Enterprise. I only have it for a couple on months but it gives me time to get the Rodeo 5 speed conversion completed.

Pic of the truck:
1275151_10151634302151636_1793688080_o.jpg

My first impression with the truck was nice fit and finish inside and out. I wasn't real keen on the styling at first. However, it had a TON of power with the 6 speed auto! The interior sat nice and rode quiet.

After a few weeks of driving it is really growing on me. I'm starting to like the styling and I'm in love with the power. The 5.3 mated to the six speed is a rocket! One really awesome thing about the truck though, even with all the power, I've been able to get 25 MPG on the highway using the eco mode (when it switches to 4 cylinder) and the gas mileage indicator. That is, if I keep my foot out of it. My only gripe so far is the radio controls. I'm not a fan of the electronic gismos scrolling across the screen and their response is a bit delayed.

I decided to price one out of curiosity. Looks like the model I'm driving would run about $45,000.00....... :shock: The model I would order if I were to buy one would be priced closer to $52,000.00 ...... I am not willing to pay more for a vehicle payment than I do a house payment. I guess I'm going to enjoy driving it while I can. I think the GM designers are starting to get things right again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cronk on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 91 times

Sponsor

Re: 2014 Silverado Review

Postby squatch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 am

Is this the same one you brought by the house? Nice truck. If I was buying a new full size it would need to be a heavy3/4 or a tonner so I could pull the car trailer or the boat with a camper in the back. The price of the new stuff takes me off the list though.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby Cronk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am

That one was a 2013 and it was nice but this one is nicer!

The one I want to drive is a 1500 with the 6.2 liter V8. With the Eco option, an engine with that much power should still get decent mileage.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Cronk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Another gripe, the window controls. Great to if you want the window all the way down or all the way up. I find myself grumbling when trying to roll them down or up part way.

Priced a work truck with 4x, 5.3, tow package and limited slip. I like the looks better and it's a lot more reasonable at 40K. Still a bit more than I'm willing to pay..... Figure a set a black rims and decent tires and it would be a good looking truck.

Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby squatch » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:42 am

40k is a lot of Zu's! Don't get led astray. There is still that Rusty Steel (RS) to be dealt with.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby Cronk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 am

Agreed, still pretty spendy. I could buy the shop I want for that price. Got way too many things in the que to worry about a car payment and higher insurance.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Ruination » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 pm

I like... :)

1992 Isuzu Pickup w/some mods
1999 Mitsubishi Montero fully loaded
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------

For this post the author Ruination was thanked by:
96TrooperSE
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby Cronk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Reminds me of the 454 SS I drooled over when I was a teenager.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Bretsze1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:00 am

Haha I know what you mean about having a payment more than your house payment. I have seriously considered a 2013 3/4 ton Mega Cab Cummins dodge once I got my new job and (more than) doubled my income but once I saw almost an $800 projected payment I closed that window and got on Indy4x and priced out my lift instead haha.
2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 - Sold

2006 Durango 4x4 - yay torque
Bretsze1
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby N law » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 am

Bretsze1 wrote:almost an $800 projected payment

I have another brother in law (not trooperChris) who has a 2013 Mega Cab. His wife drives a 2013 Grand Cherokee. Their car payments = our monthly expenses! No thanks...
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby Bansil » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 am

Bretsze1 wrote:I got my new job and (more than) doubled my income but once I saw almost an $800 projected payment I closed that window .

:lol: I did same thing, went by the dealer and was sticker shocked :shock: 50 to 70 grand for a truck (ones on lot were loaded) who actually buys a fully loaded 1 ton $70k truck to do yard work?

sales man said they could do 96 months that's some coin :shock:

with no interest that's $730 a month for 96 months....add in the interest... :P
La Tortuga...the bus
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12570
The Turtles' site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/505863/1998-isuzu-rodeo/
My Amigo build "Lowrider"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18800&hilit=lowrider

nfpgasmask wrote: I think it looks like a robot penis, but then again, I have a sick mind.

:) Bart
Bansil
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 66 times

Postby Bretsze1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Yeah I love the new styling of the Ram trucks but would rather have an 06 with the 5.9. Pre-emissions = lots better fuel economy.
2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 - Sold

Bretsze1
Super Trooper

Postby Cronk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Next gripe: Stabilitrak and traction control! Grrrrr....... If I want to spin the wheels to accelerate and slide the truck in a turn, THAT is what I want to do! I don't like a computer dropping my RPS and lugging the truck to stop the wheels from spinning. Especially if there is traffic coming! Turned the dang thing off but it still kicks in at higher RPMs, like if you are doing a doughnut in a parking lot....... :wink: That is my way of learning how the truck will handle in a slide. They take the fun out of everything these days.......

Highway mileage was about 16-17 mpg the last long trip I took. I was running into the wind around 70 mph. That was with somewhat aggressive driving too. I could have be easier on it and gotten better mileage but I think that is still pretty good for a full size truck.

Something I noticed, this thing has a spot for a second battery. Makes me think there could be a small diesel coming at some point? I heard they were developing one and scrapped it?

Other than the electronic gismos getting on my nerves, I like this truck! The interior is quiet like they advertise and I really like the steps in the bumper, beats jumping on the rear tires to get stuff out of the bed. Thinking I'll look into the work trucks when I get a chance. I just prefer the simple stuff I guess.......
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Ruination » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Joe,

I have the same issues with my Sky. With the traction on press and hold the button it for 45 seconds till ESC OFF displays. ;)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Postby Bretsze1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I can't stand all the 'safety' restrictions they put on cars and all the control these systems have over the cars. I have a hard time trusting the newer cars that self park and the commercials of I believe the Chevy impala that will 'avoid' accidents without driver input. What happened to the days where drivers had to actually drive? That stuff with the Prius really freaked me out. No thanks haha
2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 - Sold

Bretsze1
Super Trooper

Postby Cronk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Tried it again tonight. Turn traction control off, check. Hold button till it says stabilitrak off, check. Attempt to drift turns. Dang it! There is still something limiting the ability to do so. Makes a popping noise like antilock brakes. Maybe it needs to be trained. :wink:
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:02 pm

That's the only thing about driving the old 1st gen Troopers. When I rent modern cars for work I realize how much power they have and all while getting great gas mileage. That is the only thing that annoys me about driving older vehicles. If only you could easily drop in a modern drivetrain into our old vehicles.

I think a future in modular engine upgrades would be so cool. Meaning, a company that makes a 4, 6, and V8 motor that can be adapted via modular parts to just about any vehicle. Basically, the engines are all the same, but depending on what you drive there would a serious of different brackets and adapters that you use to install it into just about any vehicle.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby Cronk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm giving some real thought to putting a 5.3 in the RS. Be a ways up the road but I would grab one out of wrecked truck complete with trans and wiring harness. Would be a nice sleeper. I really like the 6 speed auto in this truck.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Ruination » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Cronk wrote:Tried it again tonight. Turn traction control off, check. Hold button till it says stabilitrak off, check. Attempt to drift turns. Dang it! There is still something limiting the ability to do so. Makes a popping noise like antilock brakes. Maybe it needs to be trained. :wink:

For everything else, there are fuses. :blackeye:
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Postby IsuzuGeek » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Cronk wrote:I'm giving some real thought to putting a 5.3 in the RS. Be a ways up the road but I would grab one out of wrecked truck complete with trans and wiring harness. Would be a nice sleeper. I really like the 6 speed auto in this truck.

That would be awesome.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby Cronk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:22 pm

OK, the popping in the back finally stopped. Just kinda went away. I'm getting proper fun out of the truck now. :D I love snow driving! We've had some pretty good amounts so far this year! This truck is pretty impressive in the snow. i do have to say, the stabilitrak and traction control would be handy on a steep snow covered incline. Just not fun!

Had a blast in wife's Subaru the other day too. We were following a parade in the lane with two tracks worn in it. When it finally turned two lanes, I passed the whole line of cars in the lane with snow. The traction in her car is pretty impressive. Wife grabbed the oh Jesus handle and screamed like she was on a roller coaster. Me grinning ear to ear. Need to take her off-roading with me one of these days, I know she'd love it! Does neat doughnuts in empty mall parking lots too! Good thing she couldn't see me doing them......
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Cronk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Feel kinda stupid. If you hit the window switch a second time (after hitting it to auto roll down or up), it stops where you want it to stop. I was used to hitting the reverse like I do on my Rodeo to make it stop. :oops:
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Ruination » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Cronk wrote:Feel kinda stupid. If you hit the window switch a second time (after hitting it to auto roll down or up), it stops where you want it to stop. I was used to hitting the reverse like I do on my Rodeo to make it stop. :oops:

That's kind of like the new ford edge's turn signal's... they are not mechanical any more but simply 'buttons' so you just have to hit it again to stop not click back the other way. Drives you up the wall until you get used to it.. then you drive another car again and have to break the habit. :lol:
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Postby Cronk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Update: I'm still getting pretty decent highway mileage. Avg around 18-20. I really do enjoy the power of this engine transmission combo though, otherwise I think the mileage would be better. The power is probably my favorite thing about this truck!

I did have to take it in for a recall. Something about the exhaust temp being too high. Found this out when I went to update my lease. Rather than change all my stuff to a different vehicle, I just took it to the dealer. I priced new trucks while there. Found a nice opalescent white SLE that I liked.

My main gripe continues, I've just learned to cope with the traction control and stabilitrak. Stabilitrak kicks back on about 30 MPH, even if you override it.

I have been driving in 2wd lately to see if it helps with mileage. The other day I encountered an issue where wheels were spinning on a section of mud and ice not allowing the truck to move forward. Thought I would see if the traction control would help it climb out. What ended up happening was the computer getting pissed off. It ended up giving me three faults. Steering assist, traction control and brake assist. Went to check the power steering fluid as the steering became labored. There was no reservoir, discovered that the truck has electric steering assist. Thought I was going to have to take it in but the computer reset itself on the drive home.

Something else that I've noticed. I mentioned that this is a rental vehicle. I am responsible for damages so I try to be careful with it, don't want to have to pay for damages, especially since I expense this out on my personal credit card. Something I've noticed. The sheet metal is super thin and dents easily. As i lean into the bed to get my gear out of the bed, just me leaning on the bed side has caused slight dimples in the bed side. Not like door dings but noticeable when the sun hits it just right. A couple of good sized dents are in the bed floor now too. Pop cans for a bed flooring is a bad idea. I know it's to save weight but it is a truck for crying out loud! Now I hear Ford will be using aluminum for body panels on the new F150. If steel is this easy to dent, I can only imagine what the future beholds when everybody goes to aluminum.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby N law » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 pm

The aluminum bodied F150s is going to be a nightmare. If you think finding a body man for a corvette is tough, wait until you start to price insurance on an aluminum work truck... No one is going to want to work on aluminum!!!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu