Rental truck reviews. (Title Change)

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: 2014 Silverado Review

Postby Cronk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:17 am

No grille deicer on this one. Probably an option on the LTZ.

I have this truck a few more weeks. I have to say. I enjoy it as a work truck. I've hauled a lot of items in it to date. Bed liner is a must! Our job dug down 12' into glacial out wash. It produced some nice sized rocks. So, rather than send them to the landfill, I added a few large landscape boulders to my yard. strap boulder to oak pallet, took tail gate off, used come-a-long to ratchet pallet to edge of bed, plopped boulder into place. Truck took the weight well. I knew the rock was in there for sure.

11698644_10152959332446636_9001977820870811338_n.jpg

11700979_10152959332436636_5031611020657417516_o.jpg

Towed a trailer with a skid steer on it. Only towed it a short distance but the 5.3 had plenty of power to get me across a busy road.

11206505_10152819931536636_2821849191437685204_o.jpg

Recently went to pick up my RS from Jerry's with it. Saw a Rally Fighter on my way too which was cool. Found out half way into my trip we were actually working the next day. (gambled thinking we wouldn't) So I did basically a 24 hr road trip to get the RS. Made it back in time to go to the job site. Not as young as I used to be, that is for sure.......

10403335_10153006147326636_2897623925424440198_n.jpg

Pulling the RS through the mountains of Tennessee, I passed a new F150 pulling a dodge Nitro on a trailer. I had cruise control set and this truck just cruised right by that sucker. It was screaming like it was about to blow up too. (guessing it was the Eco-boost v6?) Mileage towing the loaded trailer at 75 mph was about 12 -13 mpg though. May have hit 14 mpg on flat ground from time to time. Towing the empty trailer I got around 15 -16. Truck did good, never got hot and tow haul mode has brake assist which was helpful in the downhill speed trap areas.

11707477_10153006475126636_7920550952639353243_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 91 times

Sponsor

Postby Cronk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Over the past few months I had a few different trucks:

New Ford F-150 4x4. Did not impress me. Seat is still uncomfortable, mileage wasn't that great. I only got around 17mpg on the highway driving the same as the Silverado. Had plenty of pep and sounded mean as hell under full throttle though.

2015 Dodge 2500 4x4. 5.7 liter with 6 speed transmission. I actually got around 17 mpg on the highway. It was doggy with the small engine and rode terrible due to the heavy duty suspension but it was comfortable to sit in.

2016 Dodge 1500 4x4. 3.4 liter V6 with 8 speed transmission. I was skeptical when I picked it up. Sucker only has 1500 miles on it. So far the mileage is pretty amazing. 60 miles per hour over a 70 mile stretch of highway, I was getting 27 mpg! At 70 miles per hour interstate I was getting 24 mpg. 85 miles per hour interstate, still getting 20 mpg! V6 has a lot of power with the 8 speed. Sounds like a sports car at full throttle.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Von » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 pm

8 speed... LAWDY that's too much!

How'd that one do around town? Not the mileage but just how it acted, transmission shift points and such.

We rented a Ford Fiesta a few years ago after my wife was rear ended in her Commander. I don't remember how many gears it had but it was way too many. Putting around in traffic it was constantly upshifting and downshifting like it didn't know where it wanted to be. Annoying.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby Cronk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:42 am

Von wrote:8 speed... LAWDY that's too much!

How'd that one do around town? Not the mileage but just how it acted, transmission shift points and such.

We rented a Ford Fiesta a few years ago after my wife was rear ended in her Commander. I don't remember how many gears it had but it was way too many. Putting around in traffic it was constantly upshifting and downshifting like it didn't know where it wanted to be. Annoying.

The transmission doesn't shift hard so it's hard to notice when shifting. It sure seems to be tuned to the optimum torque band. I say this because when ever and where ever you push that skinny pedal down the truck just goes! Overall it rides super smooth too and is very quiet on the road. City mileage has brought the average down to 19mpg.

I forgot to mention that the Dodge 2500 had a coil sprung rear axle. I thought that was odd for a big truck.
Cronk
Subscriber

Re: Rental truck reviews. (Title Change)

Postby Cronk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:26 am

Changed the name of the title since this thread has evolved. :wink:

Thought I would do an update since I've been driving this Dodge for a while. My biggest gripe is the dial shifter. I have found myself on more than one occasion turning the heater controls up or down instead of shifting the gears. Maybe I'm starting to show my age? Another thing is the radio, this goes for all new cars really. I miss the old style radios. You touch the screen, then there is a delay before you can do anything. When you're driving seconds matter. If I'm going to change the station, I want to be able to hit a button, a real button that is going to change the station, not have to scroll through screens to get back to the radio function to wait to change channels. Finding myself listening to Pandora on my phone more and more though. Enough with my technology rant, back to the truck itself. I think my initial mileage impression must have been with a strong tail wind. I haven't been able to replicate the 27 mpg on the highway again. My average is still above twenty with both city and highway driving. I still get 21 to 22 on level roads at reasonable highway speeds. Working on the east coast in areas where everybody seems to drive fast, I've found myself in triple digits a few times without even realizing it. Not sure what the top end is but I'm sure this sucker would do it no problem.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby squatch » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Ppersonally I think Touch screens in cars should be outlawed as a public safety hazard. One should be able to work the vehicles controls without staring at them. Removing tactile feel from auto controls is progress right?!
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby Cronk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:22 pm

squatch wrote:Personally I think Touch screens in cars should be outlawed as a public safety hazard. One should be able to work the vehicles controls without staring at them. Removing tactile feel from auto controls is progress right?!

Agreed! Most of these trucks have had steering wheel controls but I still like to use the stereo settings. Simple controls all the way if I had a choice. I think if a long term test vehicle were passed to me, I could give the company "real" real world testing. Not the simulated stuff they do at the proving grounds. Surely people give feedback of some type from time to time. The little oddities that I keep running into are what the manufacturers should know about.

Boy, speaking of new cars. I saw a new 2016 Silverado LTZ the other day. Blue with the matching grille and bumper. That truck was pretty but so was the price tag! I also saw a green Colorado diesel for sale on e-bay. Nearly 42k! Guess I'll wait for a used one......... I just can't see a huge payment like that in my future.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby squatch » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:55 pm

How about rust on the new GM's. I know they are not even coating some of the suspension stuff these days. A couple of weeks ago my BIL was changing brakes on the front of a neighbors Silverado WT 4x4. 3 years old and I don't think there has ever even been anything in the bed. But as you've seen 4x4 is need here if it snows. The truck has 20k on it and the front brakes had worn to metal and ate the front rotors. I was amazed at the rust on every weld in the frame. It looked 10 years old underneath.

I looked at the new Colorado's. The green is beautiful! It's a pretty truck. But like all GM's I had to fold myself up just to get my head through the door frame. Total BS on what is now a full sized truck. 3 years ago I tried and couldn't even get in the front seat of a Cruze.

At my age I could almost talk myself into a new truck if I thought it would give me a solid 20 years of use if I drove lightly and kept in in the garage. It would probably be the last one. But I don't believe it is possible with the stuff they are making now. Some of them will do the mileage for sure if it's put on heavy over a few short years. But don't think they would last the time. This place is full of 7-10 yo trucks with 300k capable motors and totally rusted out.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby Cronk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 am

Rust is a big issue with everything I believe. Thinner frames, more salt, it's a bad combination if you ask me.

Quick update, have had a Dodge crew cab short bed 4x4 most of the winter. Has the 5.7 Hemi in it. Put a couple long trips back and fourth to the East Coast in. Best mileage has been around 17 on highway. Only the 6 speed, I think it would be better with the 8 speed auto. I may or may not have towed with it, but if you were to tow with one, the mileage drops significantly! :wink: Say down9-11 mpg while pulling a 2nd gen Trooper on a trailer, so I've heard. The Dodge has good power under load, I'll give it that. Carried home a used 3.5 for a project. In the snow, the truck gets a bit squirrely. Back end walks a lot, doesn't feel as stable. This truck is a one wheel wonder so that doesn't help either. It has that stabilitrak crap on it too. Even if you turn the traction control off, stabilitak is still there and engages no matter what.

This will be my last vehicle for a while. I took a new job close to home. Going back to driving the Rodeo.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby N law » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 am

Cronk wrote:This will be my last vehicle for a while. I took a new job close to home. Going back to driving the Rodeo.

Congrats!

I thought about this thread the other week. The whole family planned to go out of town to surprise my dad for this 70th and I rented a vehicle to keep the miles off my frontier and to help us hide the cars for when he walked in. Being on a budget, I went with Dollar Rentals and selected their mystery vehicle. The mystery vehicle program guarantees you an economy car at a minimum, but it is designed to let them have specialty vehicles like trucks, jeeps and convertibles on hand, but have a way to keep them rented when no one wants a specialty vehicle. My wife was nervous, but I was fairly confident that on a cold February day, we might get a Jeep or a convertible to take to the beach for the weekend. When I walked in, they said told me that they had a 2016 Nissan Frontier Crew cab for me. Not a big deal, since I drive one every day, but when we went outside to pre-inspect it, it was the EXACT same as my truck with the exception that mine has a chrome front bumper. This one was also an automatic 4x4. Same color and everything. So much for hiding it from dad! It was really nice to drive a new one with all of the bells and whistles like a fancy radio. And I was able to swap my bed cover on it to put the luggage in. I was really pleased to be able to rent a truck for the long weekend, especially at $12/day! I will say that the gas mileage sucked with the auto 4x4 compared to my 6 speed. I routinely get over 400 miles per tank (~19-20 gals) in my truck on the interstate, but this one was lucky to get 320 miles per tank. Glad I picked the 6speed to keep!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby squatch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Cool stuff. My bud has a late model Frontier. nice truck. It's like a baby of my Titan. Engine power is great.

Joe congrats on the new job buddy! Is this a NEW JOB or a new assignment with the existing company?
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby Cronk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

It's amazing what a difference of an extra gear or two does for mileage. Never got to try the mid sized trucks. Interesting option about the surprise car.

squatch wrote: Joe congrats on the new job buddy! Is this a NEW JOB or a new assignment with the existing company?

New company all together. Reluctantly made a switch. It's amazing what a little indifference does in a job interview, they made me a deal I just couldn't refuse! Doesn't hurt that it's twenty minutes from home either. Only two years worth of work but I have the option of travelling with them after the gig is up.
Cronk
Subscriber

Postby Ruination » Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Joe,

I will have to keep it up on the rental beaters for you.. although I suck on reviews. They are always pass/fail on the account of whether or not they can last a consecutive 5 days with me behind the wheel.

This week's rental beater -- 2015 Suburban LT 4x4. Surprised it's not an LTZ, it seems to have everything but the nicer wheels including the TVs, Bose Sound System, Nav, all that stupid lane departure and collision detection stuff that makes your butt vibrate when you're going down the road driving like a butthead. :twisted:

-B
1992 Isuzu Pickup w/some mods
1999 Mitsubishi Montero fully loaded
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 56 times

Previous

Return to Other Vehicles