Trooper Camping Companion (aka the "Shaggy Shack")

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Re: Trooper Camping Companion (aka the "Shaggy Shack")

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:42 am

Zoe picked this up for the shack yesterday, I just need to build a bracket and figure out where to mount it... then make the assessment on whether it adds character or is downright stupid looking. ;)

Shaggy
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 386 times

Sponsor

Postby hessmess » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 pm

If the daughter bought it for your Shaggy shack, then it has to make sense.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:52 pm

That just means that you left an impression about all the adventures so far, good job dad !!
Last edited by bradzuzu on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby DSUZU » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm

As a veteran camper, I can tell you it will add "character". My wife and I love to ride bikes around the campground looking at all the different "creative" character things people have come up with. GO FOR IT!!!! Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 626 times

Postby TonkaToy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am

shaggydoink wrote:Zoe picked this up for the shack yesterday, I just need to build a bracket and figure out where to mount it... then make the assessment on whether it adds character or is downright stupid looking. ;)

Shaggy

From one Dad to another,

It is awesome and tell her so. You are doing something right, so keep it up! Make a spot for it, even if it is on a stand at the end of your spot by the road. I will make a point to put a letter in it at Uwharrie.

Praise your kids when they are thoughtful and do good deeds! Be proud of the young lady you have raised.
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2007 Ford Expedition
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS
Trooper wheelin video and pics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqIwcA14BQ
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... rooper4me/

For this post the author TonkaToy was thanked by:
shaggydoink
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby TonkaToy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:42 am

N law wrote:The only downside of having your spare "up under" is that you will never check to see if it is flat before you need it!

You can get these great screw on hoses with a gauge on them and route it over to the side. They are designed for pickup trucks with the spare underneath, and would work great here too. I think they are around $20 on Amazon.

But, you really don't need it as long as you remember to check it before each trip while the trailer is up against the wall... :lol:
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2007 Ford Expedition
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:00 am

The "Shack 2.0" made its first trip on Friday and with a few small exceptions worked out great! Here's a not too overly exciting shot of it set up at camp:

I had been a little concerned about how the overall stability was going to be, in particular the front platform pieces which didn't have much support on the outer edges and the scissor jack which wasn't as substantial a base for the front end as the Coke bottle carriers were, but both seemed to work out fine. The small issues were primarily related to the inside, and admittedly somewhat self inflicted as I tried to cram *three* people plus gear in the tent vs. the more practical two. :roll:

The space itself was actually not too bad, even with a raised twin mattress and a full mattress on the floor at a perpendicular angle there was still a 2x3ish open spot for the entry, and another 2x3ish spot under the raised platform for all our gear.

Problem #1 was that said gear blocked the heat from being able to reach the foot of the full mattress so made for some cold feet!

Problem #2 was strictly related to the cold outside temperature, if/when someone wanted to change clothes it forced the other two out into an extremely uncomfortable waiting game. :shock:

Problem #3 was structural... yep, one of the legs on my homegrown mattress platform gave way which led to an amusing episode at about 3am! LOL! The solution to this problem will simply be a matter of me either coming up with a stonger solution for the legs, or cave in and buy some sort of metal mattress frame to use.

The idea I had for a combined solution for problems #1 and #2 seemed a little out there when it first came to mind, although I ran it by Zoe and after she absorbed it she gave me a "y'know, that might actually work" look - engulf the entire tent and trailer with a 10x10 canopy/gazebo! :mrgreen:

The measurements would be spot on and the footprint would basically look like this (not perfectly square, but you get the idea):

For the winter months, or basically anytime desired, I'd attach four sunwalls to create a complete enclosure like this (roughly mocked up):

This enclosure could be modestly heated and would provide a comfortable amount of space (about 50 square feet) to store gear, move around, get changed - heck, even set up some chairs and a TV! LOL! In the non-winter months, having such an enclosure could come in handy for rainy days, be cooled with AC for some additional "chill out space" (literally!) and while I can't think of a compelling reason to do so at the moment, I could even get the screen wall attachment and swap out some/all walls:

The cost put me off a little initially, although getting a canopy just for general use on camping trips, for races with Joe, etc. was already on my "buy list" so technically would only represent an additional $80 (for the 4 sunwalls). With so many trips being anticipated this year, the cost seems like it would be well worth it for the comfort and convenience I'd gain... so stay tuned for the "Shack 3.0"! :)

Shaggy
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby hessmess » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:30 am

I keep thinking you should just buy a pop up trailer! But then we would be missing all of this engineering! I really enjoy this thread. Keep up the good work.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:21 pm

That would workout nice ... One thought ,you can go with a pop up like what I have and use tarps for the sides ... Maybe get one actual side panel for a zipper door access and screen...

The 3 O clock incident sounds humoris lol

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Yes, I've thought the same thing about the popup a few times along the way myself, although the fact that I've got no place to store one has been a pretty motivating factor to go this funky shack route. ;) Even with everything I've put into it, I also think the cost will end up being lower and I'll have the extra bonus of being able to use the different elements (trailer, tent, canopy) separately if needed... and I must admit, the project in and of itself has been worth it! :) I'm antsy and it's a nice day out today, so heading out shortly to get the canopy and do to a test setup - I'll take a few pics and post them up later today.

Shaggy
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm talking about the pop up canopy , with the frame of it you just zip tie tarps up underneath the top and no leaks.. Put away it's only 12x12x 4.5'

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:29 pm

bradzuzu wrote:I'm talking about the pop up canopy , with the frame of it you just zip tie tarps up underneath the top and no leaks.. Put away it's only 12x12x 4.5'

Oh, I get what you're saying now, for some reason my brain was stuck on the popup trailer, not the popup canopy. :roll: That's actually a really good idea, and I might go this route ultimately due to some potential issues I've experienced already with the "official" sun walls - I'll explain more shortly along with some pics I took of the pilot set up I did this afternoon in a parking lot... and yes, I did get a few odd looks. :tard:

Shaggy
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Yeah, with this topic we see "pop-up" and think "camper". I never even thought about the pop-up canopies. Sad thing, when we were camping at Thanksgiving, a familya few spaces away were "trying camping". The weather turned a bit chilly and they threw in the towel, packed up and left - leaving behind a brand new "pop-up" canopy. It sat there at the site by itself for 2 days and the people with the lifetime camp trailer asked about the site at the office, when told the site had been checked out of, they scarfed the canopy - major score! Wish I would have thought to ask.
So did you talk the wife into going camping? Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 pm

I took a trip over to Walmart and picked up the canopy and sun walls, then hooked up the trailer and went over to a nearby elementary school parking lot to see if the idea would actually work the way it did in my head. The size was perfect, here's the base canopy in place over the trailer:

The wind was pretty gusty which led me to realize that a) I'll need to figure out something to secure the canopy legs when on pavement and b) I might need to come up with a more substantial way to secure the sun walls to the vertical legs of the canopy as the elastic loops they shipped with are pretty weak. Here's a shot of the canopy with all the walls up, by the time I took the picture the loops on the one wall had already started to pop free in the wind:

I got a little tired of fighting with the wind, but snapped one quick pic that gives a feel for what the interior will look like:

Next weekend I'm hoping to work on things a little more, the following weekend I'm scheduled to take another trip so allow me to see how it works out in the wild.

Shaggy
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 am

Those canopys are great, but wind is there enemy. Don't know if you can see ours in the picture, but wind took it down. Hail didn't help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 210 times

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 am

itsmehb wrote:Those canopys are great, but wind is there enemy. Don't know if you can see ours in the picture, but wind took it down. Hail didn't help.

Ouch!! Yeah, it might end up being something I can use in only certain situations but I guess we'll see.

Shaggy
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 am

Well, I doubt you would be using it under the conditions that ours fell. It hailed, with 40 to 50 mph winds. We kept ours up all summer out in the back yard.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 210 times

Postby N law » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:40 am

Wind is the reason I have EZups! or popups as you folks are calling them. Whenever I go to an event and a storm comes through, I peruse the trash the morning after. Those things fold up when they get 2-3 gallons caught in a sag and a leg bends or a whole side collapses. Amazingly enough, only one or two pieces usually break...on 4 or 5 tents! So you collect the carcasses, swap the parts around and make your own franken-tent. My best one yet is a 12x12 with two awnings off each side. The legs collapsed to where they wouldn't telescope back in. Canopy and everything was perfect. I put two different legs on it (from another salvaged tent) and have been using it for almost 2 years. It even has a sweet rolling duffle bag.

That brought up another good point, you will now be really worried during the storms because a few gallons can cause a lot of stress on those. Don't rip the canopy securing tabs or else it will puddle along the sides, then you will be getting up every hour to dump the tent.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:50 pm

If I find myself in a hail storm with 40-50 MPH winds, I suspect I'll pack up and flee to a hotel instead of trying to weather it out! LOL!!

I've seen a handful of tents in the trash as you described and have been inclined to grab them... my issue has always been my daughter being present, her tolerance for me picking up junk whenever I see it only goes so far. ;)

Like anything I'm sure it'll take a little bit of trial and error with this set up, part of what makes it fun!

Shaggy
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby N law » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:03 pm

shaggydoink wrote:If I find myself in a hail storm with 40-50 MPH winds, I suspect I'll pack up and flee to a hotel instead of trying to weather it out! LOL!!

It takes less than you think! I've seen them fold on those really wet weekends where it is a calm slow steady rain for hours and hours. I've also seen them take flight!

I'd definitely recommend a way to secure the tie downs to the trailer itself. I always strap two legs to my bumpers when I'm camping.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby TonkaToy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Another option for you could be just to stretch a tarp overhead between the trees. There would be no sides, but it does provide an element of protection, and in the summer will dramatically reduce the temp inside the tent by reflecting most of the direct light before it has a chance to heat up the tent roof. I have used them for years as a cheap weather/ sun shield.

I have ditched the ill fitting attached awning that was on my camper when purchased (awning was dry-rotten anyway) in favor of just stretching a tarp over both the camper and outdoor living area. Quick, cheap (compared to a new awning), and simple.
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2007 Ford Expedition
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Bansil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:18 pm

good show on the "extra layer" :mrgreen:
La Tortuga...the bus
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12570
The Turtles' site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/505863/1998-isuzu-rodeo/
My Amigo build "Lowrider"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18800&hilit=lowrider

nfpgasmask wrote: I think it looks like a robot penis, but then again, I have a sick mind.

:) Bart
Bansil
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 66 times

Postby DSUZU » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:50 pm

shaggydoink wrote: my issue has always been my daughter being present, her tolerance for me picking up junk whenever I see it only goes so far. ;)Shaggy

More training required :D Dennis
My older one is a scrounger like Dad, the younger one is like your daughter. D.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 am

DSUZU wrote:More training required :D Dennis
My older one is a scrounger like Dad, the younger one is like your daughter. D.

LOL!! Yeah, it's going to be tough, I swear she's developed an instinct for it... in fact, there are occasions where she's almost like Radar on MASH where she'll give me a stern "nooooo" before I've even identified the object for which I'll likely be inclined to want to grab! :roll:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby TonkaToy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 pm

shaggydoink wrote: I swear she's developed an instinct for it... in fact, there are occasions where she's almost like Radar on MASH where she'll give me a stern "nooooo" before I've even identified the object for which I'll likely be inclined to want to grab! :roll:

Jonathan

ROFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there!! Mine has done the same thing!!
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2007 Ford Expedition
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

PreviousNext