Decided to take up golf

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

Decided to take up golf

Postby N law » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:50 pm

I didn't plan on it, but I did. I usually only work til noon on Friday, so I came home and checked out craigslist before getting on with my chores. Low and behold, there was a 1986 VW Golf posted on the local craiglist ad for $1,000. I wasn't really looking for one, but it caught my attention. I called up my buddy and we went to look at it. It was in the back woods, on the "back side of the mountain." They lady who owned it showed me the broken things and let me drive it around the block. Seemed alright. We talked price, fixing the broken things, the title (she had never registered it, but had signed it :error: ). We ended up agreeing on $750 and tried to make it to the courthouse in time to straighten it out. Their county courthouse is known for "just making things happen" in the tag and title office, so when she said she'd get it worked out (then texted the clerk to confirm), I agreed.

This is the first VW that I have driven home! My wife was a little difficult to convince. The "where are we going to park it?" and "we don't need another piece of junk" starting coming. I dodged them nicely.

So far I need to replace the shifter bushings, door handles, driver's door window regulator and clean it up A LOT. I think it's going to be nice and I know I can always flip it because its a diesel. :shock: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 61 times

Sponsor

Re: Decided to take up golf

Postby N law » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Swapped out the shift bushings yesterday. What a huge improvement! I finally have reverse now. But still can't find 5th. The door handles and window regulator should be here today.

Shift Bushings- Seems to be a lot of unnecessary parts and the front bushing was missing. I'll have to install it when I get it.

First step is to remove the exhaust and heat shield.

Blurry, but no heat shield and exhaust is to the side.

Heat shield out

Shift box removed

Regreased and new bushing installed in the front.

Bushing missing from the kit- I have it shimmed to work with an extra beetle bushing that I had. I will be able to get to it without much trouble when I get the part.

Exhaust manifold- it clips on

With these:

Which are a pain in the butt, but I found a trick to do it without the wedges. Tie a rope through the hole at the end of the clip. Hook the top edge. Have a friend hold the exhaust in place and then stand in the loop on the other end of the clip. Should spread it just enough to get it hooked back together. Then you just untie the rope and pull it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:48 pm

More photos
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Chitzu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Oh you dog you,the very last word in your first post you dropped the bomb "diesel". $750, how do you sleep at night? No really nice find and I'm sure you could "flip it". Congrats
Chitzu
Trail Master

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby N law » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Chitzu wrote:Oh you dog you,the very last word in your first post you dropped the bomb "diesel". $750, how do you sleep at night? No really nice find and I'm sure you could "flip it". Congrats

:lol: :lol: I have been casually talking about my new Golf to my friends, but only 2 or 3 know that it is a diesel. I will be taking it to a get together tonight and can't wait for them to find out. I did ask a question on our local VW forum that was specifically asking about the glow plug warm up indicator light (saying that it takes forever to start, but it finally does when the light with the squiggly line goes off). No one has picked up on it yet. Can't wait for them to find out!!!

Just picked up the new door handles at lunch and the window regulator should be in by now, so I'll pick it up after work. Should have it all pretty for the get together in 2.5 hours!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:16 pm

N law wrote:The "where are we going to park it?" and "we don't need another piece of junk" starting coming.

:lol: I have heard that spiel many times. :)

Bart

PS - VWs have grown on my over the years. I would love to build a Baja Bug or an old Thing.
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 197 times

Postby N law » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm

nfpgasmask wrote:PS - VWs have grown on my over the years. I would love to build a Baja Bug or an old Thing.

This is my old baja bug that I built. Check it out. (5 gal gas can for size comparison)

And the one picture from Uwharrie:

No one found the pictures of it from when I attempted Daniel... There is a video of it somewhere
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Van » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:39 pm

What camping trip was that (month/year)? I may have some pics. :?
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby N law » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:42 am

Van wrote:What camping trip was that (month/year)? I may have some pics. :?

October 2010, maybe? You would have been pulling me up Daniel, so you probably didn't get any video of that one...
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 am

N law wrote:This is my old baja bug that I built. Check it out. (5 gal gas can for size comparison)

Ah, so YOU were crazy bugger with the Baja Bug on Daniel that I've heard stories about! Brilliant car, and I like your style! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby IsuzuGeek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah man, that's what I am talking about! They look like a whole bunch of good clean fun.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 197 times

Postby N law » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am

shaggydoink wrote:
N law wrote:This is my old baja bug that I built. Check it out. (5 gal gas can for size comparison)

Ah, so YOU were crazy bugger with the Baja Bug on Daniel that I've heard stories about! Brilliant car, and I like your style! :thumbup:

Jonathan

Guilty as charged!

They are a ton a fun and will practically go anywhere. The rocks (that were bigger than the gas can) caused me to get high centered on Daniel a couple times and then I broke the front transmission mount. I had a strap kit to reinforce the trans mount after I fixed it, but I ended up selling the baja before I put it on. One day, I'll build a rail buggy! They have 2 seater frames for ~$400 that are mostly welded up, but shipped as a knockdown kit. You finished assembly, paint and install electrical, gas tank, engine and trans. Maybe spend $1,000 on top of the frame for good used parts and make it happen! One day....
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Ruination » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:47 am

Dude that's awesome. I almost got the same exact car for my first car! Same color and everything. I was going to buy it for $400 (ran great but had a massive oil leak)

My parents didn't let me get it, though and they settled on me buying my 87k mile Montero for a first vehicle (funny since it was my own money lol) - One day I will have one!
1992 Isuzu Pickup w/some mods
1999 Mitsubishi Montero fully loaded
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby N law » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 am

Ruination wrote:Dude that's awesome. I almost got the same exact car for my first car! Same color and everything. I was going to buy it for $400 (ran great but had a massive oil leak)

My parents didn't let me get it, though and they settled on me buying my 87k mile Montero for a first vehicle (funny since it was my own money lol) - One day I will have one!

Maybe this is the one! Runs great but has a massive oil leak. It is just pumping the oil out of the dipstick tube. Could be the dumb b!-ch that sold it to me put too much oil in or possibly the rings are bad and causing blow by, which has excessive crankcase pressure. I need to dig into that, but for now, I am working on the title from the same dumb b!-ch that can't figure out how to dance around government papers...
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Ruination » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:52 am

N law wrote:
Ruination wrote:Dude that's awesome. I almost got the same exact car for my first car! Same color and everything. I was going to buy it for $400 (ran great but had a massive oil leak)

Maybe this is the one! Runs great but has a massive oil leak. It is just pumping the oil out of the dipstick tube. Could be the dumb b!-ch that sold it to me put too much oil in or possibly the rings are bad and causing blow by, which has excessive crankcase pressure. I need to dig into that, but for now, I am working on the title from the same dumb b!-ch that can't figure out how to dance around government papers...

Eww. good luck with the title mess! I wouldn't surprise me if it was blow-by or a blown head gasket.
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Postby N law » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Ruination wrote:
N law wrote:

Eww. good luck with the title mess! I wouldn't surprise me if it was blow-by or a blown head gasket.

I think I'll get it figured out. The lady I bought it from signed the title, but never registered it. Then she sold it to me. She has all sorts of other paper work, but none of it represents our transaction (her as the seller and me as the buyer). I have friends who know both her and the dude she bought it from, but hopefully I won't have to track him down. Worst case scenario: she registered it and gets me the new-to-her title next week.

We have a local guy who works at the factory and works on the old ones quite a bit. I think I'm going to get him to take a look at it and see if he can figure out some of the quirks.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 pm

wow....just wow....

I took the title and all the jacked up paperwork with me to the courthouse. They laughed and said that lady was smoking crack cause she screwed the title up so much that the owner before her would have to apply for a new title and THEN sell it to either me or her. I sighed and walked out defeated. I texted the lady and she finally texted me back saying that she called the lady at her county courthouse (neighboring county) and the lady there would take care of it. I drove 40 minutes to the backside of the mountain and walked in the courthouse. The lady she talked to was the old county clerk... damn it. But the lady at the counter said, "who is the lady you bought it from?" and I showed her the paperwork. She said, "Ok...I think I know what she was trying to do." Then she said, "It'll be $45.25 for tax, tag and title." :shock: :D OK!!! I paid and took my out of county tag with me. She worked magic on a title that my clerk said was voided and then registered MY car in a different county with my address in Chattanooga...wow...just wow. She said the title should be here Monday :lol:
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Ruination » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Holy crap that's funny.. Good work! I hate dealing with jacked up titles.
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
-------
Ruination
Donor
Donor

Postby wesharris » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:47 pm

i like the golf a lot.....and i love the beetle cool cars man and nice build on the baja bug
1990 trooper 2.6 msd6al ignition system msd turned "out to junk" blaster ll coil accel wires iridium NGK plugs 5 speed new head brake rotors and brakes 16" wheels new tires. new axles new clutch,flywheel,clutch master and slave cylinder all new ball joints 95 trooper front seats and turbo coming soon
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65233
wesharris
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby N law » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks! They have definitely been fun.

I drove the Golf to work on Monday and noticed a loss in power and a nice cloud of smoke on a bit of incline on the way in. During lunch, I popped the hood while it was running and noticed the diesel fuel spraying across the engine compartment....dang! Shut it down and ate. Went back out to look at it again and decided to make it over to my buddy and co-worker's house. I borrowed some tools from them and determined that no matter how tight a got the compression fitting, it was still going to leak. Parked it in their yard and called the wife. Stopped by the parts place after work and ordered a new hard line for the fuel for $24. Turns out they occasionally crack. The new one should be in today, so I pulled the old one off last night- yup cracked, right at the base of the bulb flare on the compression fitting.

In other news, I ordered a conversion kit to recharge the A/C. Found out that everything seems to be in working order, its just completely out of freon. It will be nice if I can get it to cool off a little bit!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby stusvend » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Golfs are just fun, I always liked them. I've toyed with finding a Jetta of that same era for a while myself.
Matt
'88 Trooper LS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. - SOLD :( (Replaced by 2012 Xterra Pro-4x)
'89 Trooper RS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual.
'69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser- 3.9L inline 6, 3 speed manual.
stusvend
Subscriber

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby N law » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:23 pm

I haven't updated this in a quite a while!

So the Golf got to be such a bear to drive because of the oil blow by issue. If things were hooked up properly, the crankcase pressure would push oil up the dipstick tube and out of the top, leaving a constant Hansel and Gretel trail of oil everywhere I went. The PO used a vent on the valve cover to let the pressure out and it worked decently.

I got to talking to a guy who does a lot of engine swaps in older water cooled VWs. He had acquired a Grumman Kubvan (it was a prototype when the post office selected the LLV mini bread trucks you see today). The Kubvans were all powered by the VW 1.6NA diesel engines and all but like 23 were automatics. After they didn't get the contract, the 500 or so prototypes were sold off. Being that he specializes in engine swaps, specifically diesel swaps, he built a TDI motor and swapped it into his low mileage Kubvan. You can read about that here: http://s-pautomotive.com/?tag=kubvan 146hp and 325ft/lbs. He sold me the drivetrain out of the Kubvan to put in my Golf. It had ~82k miles on it.

I stripped it all down and pulled the motor. Picked up the "new" motor and proceeded to swap it in. The transmissions were slightly different. The engine swap guru didn't think it should be a problem, but it was. I ended up making a bracket to bolt it in. Fired up and ran flawlessly. There were little issues like the fans not coming on when the radiator temp switch warmed up (it was previously a toggle) and the arm on the manual pump would occasionally stick open, but you just tap it and it would jar loose and return.

After a year of sporadic driving, I took it back through the local emissions process. After receiving the PASS papers, I went to head out and the pump arm stuck open, causing me to roll coal through the emissions testing. :| :lol: 8)

Then came a baby... And it has sat. And sat. And sat. My buddy and I rented a shop about 10 minutes away, and so it sat there. Then we moved to a new shop with more friends and it stayed behind in the parking lot, unable to start.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:27 pm

More photos
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:44 pm

The engine swap was done in May of 2014. The golf has been parked since last fall and I was unable to move it this past spring due to a dead battery and the pump had leaked down. I got it started at one point, but it was still fighting me. As soon as I went to take off, it would cut out. I figured that I had gotten water in my tank (I always heard about diesel/water separators!). I left it be for a while and tried to sell it as is. No one bit.

I built a pan buggy for a VW show out of a bug chassis this past summer utilizing an engine that a Vietnam Veteran left after we swapped motors for him on his trip from El Paso to DC for run to the wall. I had used an extra battery I had for the pan buggy, but after the show, the pan buggy sat for a while before the engine was put into another vehicle. Then my battery got "borrowed" indefinitely for a vehicle that was having electrical issues and cooked the guy's battery. I was peeved that my good battery was going into a system that just cooked a battery... So I stole it back under the guise that I needed it for my Golf!

I put the battery in and she turned over, but no firing. The pump had started dripping before it was parked, so I figured that I needed to prime it. I had previously used a boat priming bulb to get fuel to the pump and then had to crack the injector lines to get fuel to the injector. The injectors are mechanical and pop open under pressure- not electrical. So they have to have all air out of them to open. My boat priming bulb wasn't getting it done now and I chalked it up to having sat with diesel fuel in the gas rated rubber for too long. I went to buy a new one. 20 F'in dollars!!! I'll buy a different china one on ebay for 1/10 of that. I got 4 for $2.99 each free shipping.

The bulbs showed up last night and hook it up. Still no fuel.... Maybe a line is clogged? Pulled the line off the other side of the fuel filter (gold can in above pictures on the passenger inner fender). I was able to get fuel moving pretty well with the filter bypassed, so I just left it bypassed. I got the injectors bled and she fired right up! Smoky and stinky, but awesome! I drove it to our new shop and walked back to get my truck. Then I ordered a new fuel filter.

I'm thinking I'll have to start doing more with this one since I've neglected it.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 am

N law wrote:I'm thinking I'll have to start doing more with this one since I've neglected it.

Yes you should.

That's a pretty respectable torque rating for an itty bitty engine. It could push my truck around okay. Can you put a turbo on it?
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Next

Return to Other Vehicles