My Trooper's replacement

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

My Trooper's replacement

Postby Van_Homan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:03 pm

It's hard to believe it's been almost four years since I sold my Trooper. After selling it in 2013, I was without a 4x4 for a few years. Then in early 2015
I decided to buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ. I've always loved the body style, and I had owned a 1990 Jeep Cherokee "Pioneer" back in the 90's. I liked the vehicles interior, and how it handled. I also liked the power from the 4.0L engine. I searched for about three months before finding a suitable candidate to build. I wanted something bone stock, so I could build it the way I wanted. Believe it or not, clean unmolested XJ's are getting harder to find. So I settled for a filthy, unmolested XJ. lol

The Jeep had a great running engine, smooth shifting transmission, hot heat, and cold AC. It drove great, (almost) everything worked, and it was rattle, and noise free.
It also had dry rotted tires, rusty wheels, filthy carpet, worn out shocks, worn out lift gate struts, a sagging headliner, and even saggier rear leaf springs.
I didn't mind most of the issues, as I was planning to lift the truck, and replace the wheels/tires.

Here it is in all it's sagging glory the day I drove it home. It looked so pitiful, but I was super excited to once again have a 4x4.

It also had a factory LSD, which I only discovered after I got sideways leaving the car wash with wet tires lol

I found an ex-Chrysler master mechanic who now owns a Jeep "Off Road" shop that does all the things I either can't do, or don't own the tools to do. He's been a great help in sorting out all the things needed to make this Jeep as reliable as it can be. Over the next few years, I fixed a bunch of little nuisance items, and got all the vehicles service up to date. I've replaced the entire cooling system, brakes, fluids, battery, all the gaskets, seals, o-rings, bushings, and anything that could possible leak.
I lifted it 3", with all new shocks, new coils springs, new full leaf packs, and new control arms. I replaced the wheels and tires. Added a front winch bumper, and rear tire carrier bumper, added larger aftermarket cut out fender flares, and a CB radio. I replaced the factory seats with nicer seats from a Grand Cherokee, replaced the sagging headliner, and shampooed the filthy carpet. I also replaced the factory Dana 35 rear axle, with a Chrysler 8.25.
I had kept the roof rack from the Trooper, so I cut it down to fit the XJ, and modified the gutter mounts slightly to accommodate the angles of the Jeep. I also added a fuel can to the rear hatch (which was much harder than it was on the Trooper). I really miss the Troopers rear doors. I've never been a fan of lift gates.
I still have a fairly long list of items I'm hoping to add to the Cherokee, but it's coming along slower but surely.

I've been driving some of the TN Dirt Devil Trail over the last few months, and so far the Jeep is performing great.
I'm hoping to attend Overland Expo East this fall, so I'm planning my next few mods/items around that trip. Eventually I plan to hit Uhwarrie, Moab, and a few other places.

Here's how it currently sits

I've actually not been very active online the last few years. My home computer failed and I just never got around to replacing it, until last week. I've always had a work laptop, but don't use them for personal use. Now that I have a desk top with a good size screen, it's much easier to surf the forums.

I realize this is an Isuzu forum, but I always liked the people on here, and reading the threads. I've really missed being on here the last few years since I sold my Trooper. I'm on a few Jeep forums, but it's just not the same.
It's been nice looking around the "Planet"
1990 Isuzu Trooper 4 DR 4X4 5sp
Wagon/Sport Utility 2.6L L4 FI *Sold*
-------------------------------------------------
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4DR 4X4 AT
Wagon/Sport Utility 4.0L I6 FI Current
Van_Homan
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: My Trooper's replacement

Postby squatch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 am

I wondered what happened to you. The whole Nashville contingent just up and disappeared.

Nice rig but it's not your Trooper! :lol:
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby Von » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Sagginess gone! Looks good.

I've never owned a Jeep till I got my truck. My son in law wants an old XJ but affordable ones are so ragged out...
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby Van_Homan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:27 pm

squatch wrote:I wondered what happened to you. The whole Nashville contingent just up and disappeared.

Nice rig but it's not your Trooper! :lol:

Good to see you're still around old friend

There's nothing quite like an old first gen Trooper.
Last edited by Van_Homan on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van_Homan
Zu Royalty

Postby Van_Homan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Von wrote:Sagginess gone! Looks good.

I've never owned a Jeep till I got my truck. My son in law wants an old XJ but affordable ones are so ragged out...

Thank you.
It took me longer to find the XJ than it did my Trooper. You're exactly right about the cheap ones being ragged out. I looked at several that were supposed to be in "good shape", only to find the entire interior trashed,, or even missing in one case. LOL
Van_Homan
Zu Royalty

Return to Other Vehicles