My dirt cheap hauler project...

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

My dirt cheap hauler project...

Postby Torquemonster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 am

Mostly wanted a trailer for my boat. My girlfriend and I could manage to get it on the roof of my Rodeo, but the roof of the Trooper is alot taller, and we were wanting to get a different boat that was slightly heavier (We had a 12 foot Coleman Crawdad but wanted a fiberglass with a deeper hull). My girlfriend has joint pain, which means she has trouble lifting big/heavy things above her head. A trailer was the only option.

We found this 40x48 bolt together utility trailer on craigslist. We met with the gentleman to buy it, he wanted $97, not a penny more and not a penny less. We gladly paid him. Since my Trooper didnt have a trailer hitch at the time, we dissassembled it in the gentlemans driveway and put the deck, side panels and fenders in the truck, while I managed to fit the frame with axle in the roof basket.

Shortly after we found a good deal on a 10ft fiberglass boat, and needed the trailer to haul it back. My dad and I built a bumper for the trooper with a hitch in it, and I added an 8.5 foot extension to the tongue of the trailer. Its a piece of 3/16th wall 2x3 I got for free from my dads work. Admittedly its overkill, but it was free. I am planning to replace it with one piece of 2x2 with a thinner wall.

With the extension in I put on a submersible light kit I got from princess auto, on sale for $22. Bolted the deck on and screwed 4x4s to the deck, as a down and dirty method to pick up this boat. The final touch was changing the 8" rims on the trailer out for new 12" rims and tires, I get though my work, total cost was $121 for 2 wheels and tires.

Now the trailer is back apart and Im building it how I want. I want the boat to be upright, so I can launch it on the trailer. Id also like if possible to be able to convert it back into a utility trailer, should I ever need it, in less than 20 minutes. The overall goal is cheap and lightweight, because we currently have no front yard or garage storage space for it, we have to carry it sideways through a gate to the backyard.

So far Ive extended the frame of the deck by 2 feet using 1" angle, again scraps from my dads work for free. I then moved the axle about 8 inches forward to help remove some of the tongue weight that was added with the extension. There were holes provided in the frame to mount the fenders 8 inches forward, as well as for the axle mounts. The only problem is now theres no way to mount the diagonal braces that went from the trailer frame to the tongue, so I have to figure that out.
Ive also started making my bunks for the boat. Its all outdoor grade 2x4s that will bolt to the trailer frame with 6-8 bolts. I will also add 2 rollers, a bow stop and a bow chain.
1987 Trooper 2 door MSG-5 4ZD1 Weber 32/36 31"s viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87854
95 Rodeo 3.2 V6 MUA-5 4.10 gears 33" Yokohamas 3" lift SOLD http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25
1990 Trooper LS 2.8 5 speed 2" lift 31's (my dads rig)
Previously: 88 Trooper 2.6 MUA-5 3.5" lift 33"s 4.77s Aisin hubs, 89 Trooper 2.6 automatic no lift 31"s, both my dads
Torquemonster
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 14 times

Sponsor

Re: My dirt cheap hauler project...

Postby Von » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:19 am

Nice. Adaptation. I like the dual purpose idea.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Postby N law » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 pm

That's awesome!

I have a small bolt together trailer from way back when. The worst part is getting a good ground for the lights since most trailer light setups use the frame as a ground. Intermittent electrical issues led me to run dedicated white wires to each fixture.

For your convertible project, you should deck the trailer with pressure treated plywood or boards and make provisions to remove or install the bunks on top of it. It'll provide a lot of rigidity and would leave it usable most of the time.

And while your fabricating, make a small axle with the harbor freight hand truck pneumatic tires that goes on the back corner so you can flip the trailer on it's side, pick up the tongue and walk it through the gate!

These projects are so much fun. I believe Shaggy shack 1.0 was a bolt together trailer
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby Torquemonster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 am

Great idea on the axle with the pneumatic wheels on the side! I was trying to come up with a solution for that.

I thought about having a plywood deck in it all the time, but was worried that while launching the boat it may make the trailer a little too buoyant.
1987 Trooper 2 door MSG-5 4ZD1 Weber 32/36 31"s viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87854
95 Rodeo 3.2 V6 MUA-5 4.10 gears 33" Yokohamas 3" lift SOLD http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25
1990 Trooper LS 2.8 5 speed 2" lift 31's (my dads rig)
Previously: 88 Trooper 2.6 MUA-5 3.5" lift 33"s 4.77s Aisin hubs, 89 Trooper 2.6 automatic no lift 31"s, both my dads
Torquemonster
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 14 times

Return to Other Vehicles