ANyone know Suzuki Sidekicks?

A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)

Moderator: Staff

ANyone know Suzuki Sidekicks?

Postby Torquemonster » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:25 pm

My girlfriend is looking to buy a Suzuki Sidekick. Weve found a 93 In her pricerange, with an electrical issue. Ive talked to the seller via email and this is whats happening, according to him:

The FI (or F1) fuse keeps blowing. It is fine untill the vehicle gets up to operating temp, and then it blows. This happens consistently. The computer has been replaced with a new (Maybe refurb'd?) unit.

He assures me its the FI fuse and not the IGN fuse, both of which Ive read are common problems. Common reasons those fuses seem to blow according to the internet are the PCM and 02 sensor shorted to the exhaust. Id assume the PCM is ok since its been replaced, and I dont see how the 02 would short only at operating temp. Im not sure where else to go with it. A tech at work suggested the injectors could be shorting after some runtime, Im just not sure so Im hoping someone here knows a little more than me...

Cheers, David
1987 Trooper 2 door MSG-5 4ZD1 Weber 32/36 31"s viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87854
95 Rodeo 3.2 V6 MUA-5 4.10 gears 33" Yokohamas 3" lift SOLD http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25
1990 Trooper LS 2.8 5 speed 2" lift 31's (my dads rig)
Previously: 88 Trooper 2.6 MUA-5 3.5" lift 33"s 4.77s Aisin hubs, 89 Trooper 2.6 automatic no lift 31"s, both my dads
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 13 times

Sponsor

Re: ANyone know Suzuki Sidekicks?

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:01 am

Hi, David, I recall that the early (Pre-95 or so) 'Kicks & Trackers did have a problem with their ECU's, something about poor solder joints or failed capacitors. One site even had instructions on how to do a repair. So perhaps the replaced ECM has a problem. I'd think you'd be able to pull up trouble codes on something like that.

This site has a ton of good information and is free to join: http://www.fixkick.com/

Here's a comprehensive section on electrical problems and solutions:

http://www.fixkick.com/Elect-fail-index.html

And a big writeup on fuse-blowing problems, including your FI fuse problem, with detailed electrical diagrams:

http://www.fixkick.com/power-elect/blows-fuse.html

The English is a bit odd; I think the owner of the site is from a S. American country.

But the technical expertise is extensive! I got great info and advice from this site when I was working thru all the issues on a '98 Sidekick.

If you get into the weeds with the project, post a query on the forum after going thru the electrical section. He's pretty responsive to questions, and there's quite a bit of searchable info in the numerous posts.

Here's the other site I got a lot of good info from. Many knowledgeable folks there as well:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sid ... ara-geo-x/

Anyway, G'luck with the rig. They seem to be getting more expensive as time goes by. Must be turning into a Classic or something. Just like our ZuZu's!

Let us know how it turns out..........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:12 am

A bit more info I found, someone else troubleshooting a fuse-blowing problem:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sid ... -turn.html

Not quite the same, but some good info there.

One thing that struck me is that these rigs have an EGR solenoid, and since the fuse only blows as the engine is fully warmed, It's possible the EGR solenoid might be shorted.

The ECU would not cycle the EGR valve until the engine was fully warmed, in Closed Loop. So, the first time the EGR solenoid is powered-up, BLAM! there goes the fuse.

Just a thought, there can be a myriad other things causing it but that's an easy one to check, just unplug the solenoid and see what happens.

I also read at Fixkick that a failing fuel pump can send "spikey" signals to the ECU and that'll drive it crazy. Something else to check out!

Last thing, it does matter if the engine is a 8-valve or 16-valve as they have different fuel injection systems. There are wiring diagrams for both.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Torquemonster » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:48 am

Yea I was looking on there a bit too. The english is a little hard for me to follow but Ill read it over a few more times and see if it clicks...
Thats a good thought on the EGR solenoid, something Ill have to check out.

Seems more and more often around here they go for the 2-5k range in bone stock, decent condition, and they go quick. She jumped on this ad quickly, Im hoping we can strike a deal.
95 Rodeo 3.2 V6 MUA-5 4.10 gears 33" Yokohamas 3" lift SOLD http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25
Previously: 88 Trooper 2.6 MUA-5 3.5" lift 33"s 4.77s Aisin hubs, 89 Trooper 2.6 automatic no lift 31"s, both my dads
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:16 am

I saw a vacuum switching valve that comes off the same +12V supply. And if it's an auto trans, looks like the torque converter lockup is powered off the same circuit.

Here's a little secret on these: if you find a "Sport" model they're a bit different, with a 1.8L engine that has 120hp. So they're a bit snappier than the 96hp 16V engine. The 8-valve 1.6 engine has less hp than the 16V, but is a good, torquey little engine.

Anyway, back to the 1.8. They have a timing chain instead of a belt. These can have wear issues and the timing chain will sometimes snap. You may find a good deal on a Sport with busted chain and it may not have crunched valves, even though it's listed as an "interference engine". Lots of anecdotals on the Suzuki forum that said all they had to replace was the timing components, and the valves were fine.

Same goes for the '99-up 4-cyl Trackers and Vitaras, they have a similar chain arrangement. Of course you're getting into more $$$ rigs too. There have been some really cheap ones here in the Seattle area, but a lot of $$$ too. See plenty of them with engine issues selling dirt cheap. I bought the '98 Tracker a few years ago for $600, but it needed a lot of TLC and little things, eventually it needed a new head from lots of poor previous work & cracking from overheating. But it runs great now, with over 10,000 miles since the head replacement and 240,000+ miles on the odo.

A common issue on the older ones, besides the ECU, is loose crankshaft belt drive pulley. Supposed to be torqued to the new specs of 94 ft-lb but many never upgraded or reinstalled to the wrong spec. This leads to a loose pulley and problems with the crankshaft keyway. Most don't even know that you don't have to pull the crankshaft pulley to replace the timing belt; the accessories drive pulley bolts right to the cam pulley and when you pull the small bolts, the belt is directly accessible.

The later V6 models aren't much on mpg and the pre-2003 models have small oil passages to the hydraulic chain tensioners. If synthetic oil isn't used, or oil changes neglected, these passages clog up then full oil pressure can't reach the tensioner, then chain(s) slop/wear and eventually break. Usually you can hear a lot of clatter when they're going out. Anyway, this is an interference engine so when the chain breaks it's a very expensive repair. Saw a very nice Suzuki SL7 in the Craigslist for $850 and I expect that's the problem with it, they said it was running rough.

The older Trackers and Sidekicks are fairly simple, rugged and fun to drive. The Tracker goes great in 4WD & in the snow. Pretty decent mpg, in the mid-20's+ on long trips and it's a 4-door automatic.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Torquemonster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Well we got it bought today for $900 plus $150 for a tow. It cranks and has spark but the fuel pump fuse blows as soon as the ignition is turned on. Pump does not run for 3 seconds before cranking. That leads me to suspect the fuel pump itself or the associated wiring.
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Torquemonster wrote:Well we got it bought today for $900 plus $150 for a tow. It cranks and has spark but the fuel pump fuse blows as soon as the ignition is turned on. Pump does not run for 3 seconds before cranking. That leads me to suspect the fuel pump itself or the associated wiring.

Sounds likely. You can try pulling the fuel pump relay and then see if the fuse blows with the key on.

So this is an 8-valve engine? Definitely will make a difference when ordering a new pump.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suzu ... +pump,6256

As in our ZuZu's the Bosch pump seems to be pretty decent. Seems like there's a ton of different pumps for the different body styles.

If you have a 2-door "Tin Top", you've hit the jackpot, because they have a wholesaler's sale on that Bosch pump for $20.79! Even though these only come with a 30-day warranty, you could buy 4 of 'em for less than the price of one in regular inventory!

Some really good info on fuel pumps at Fixkick.com: http://www.fixkick.com/INJECTORS/PUMP/dead-pump.html
'
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Torquemonster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:16 pm

It's an 8 valve and rag top 2 door. I didn't have any time to look today but I should have some time wendsday if the weather holds out.
A couple options I thought were neat is it has power locks and windows, which I haven't seen in a rag top sidekick. It's also got the split rear seat, "fold and tumble" as the PO called it. It's already got a 3" lift and 235/75 r15 tires.
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Sweet! The 2-door should be a bit snappier than the heavier 4-door. It should drive like a go-kart!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Torquemonster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 am

Well I got out to it and the problem isnt in the fuel pump. I kept un plugging things hoping the fuse would stop popping and nada. On my last fuse I tried un plugging the cheesy aftermarket alarm and then the fuse didnt blow. It started, I let it idle for 10 minutes, then I turned it around in its parking spot so its nose out. I shut it off, and then started it again to make sure it still started. When it was running the 2nd time, I grabbed the harness for the alarm system and wiggled it around, and then the fuse popped. So I gotta crawl under the dashboard and look at that harness, or remove it...
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:34 am

Well, ain't that something! All bets are off when aftermarket electrical Gremlins are installed! :tongue2:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:43 am

Torquemonster wrote: So I gotta crawl under the dashboard and look at that harness, or remove it...

Sweet, sounds like you got a deal!

I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about aftermarket alarms. An alarm seems fairly useless on a rag top.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby Torquemonster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:13 am

Von wrote:
Torquemonster wrote: So I gotta crawl under the dashboard and look at that harness, or remove it...

Sweet, sounds like you got a deal!

I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about aftermarket alarms. An alarm seems fairly useless on a rag top.

My thoughts exactly. The cheap ones always start screwing up after a few years anyway
Torquemonster
Super Trooper

Postby BigSwede » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Yeah, get rid of that alarm crap. I had a Tahoe about 10 years ago that suddenly would not start, turned out to be an aftermarket alarm that I didn't even know about. Dealer had a guy who used to install alarms, so I had him yank it all out, no problems after that.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 246 times

Return to Other Vehicles