Recommendations for auto transport services

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Recommendations for auto transport services

Postby 5009TWI » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Anybody have good/bad experience with a particular auto transport service?

I don't know when (which is why I didn't post it in the Parts Transport section) but within approx the next 2 months I'll be looking to ship my Suburban, Amigo, and Trooper from Dallas, TX to Richmond, VA. Definitely wanting to get on this early so I can do my homework

Open air is doable but enclosed is preferable (yes I know how much that increases the costs)
1992 Amigo S 2WD 4ZE1 5spd "Pequeña Blanca" Went on the hunt for a sensible, practical commuter car and instead I ended up buying this. People continually ask what kind of Jeep it is. Wife says it feels like a large go-kart.

1997 Trooper S-Pep 5spd "Midori" Project car to help me stay sane during post-college career hunt. All windows converted from electric to manual. Super-snazzy Mexican blankets on the seats. Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage. Currently swapping in 1992-1995 DOHC cylinder heads (so I can say goodbye to rocker arms + shafts) and rebuilding the remainder of the engine.

1990 GMC Suburban R1500 SLE 350TBI "Regina" Daily driver from 2005 all the way until I bought the Trooper in 2015. Over 230K miles and still going strong. Still intermittently serves as daily-driver between the Trooper and Amigo. Hopefully soon will resume the long nap until I can throw in an LQ4 & T56.
5009TWI
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: Recommendations for auto transport services

Postby Gen1Trooper » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:20 pm

I can get you a contact for transport. This guy has been the cheapest and he has been slightly higher than other bids. Main thing is once the vehicle is picked up it stays with the driver the whole way...big companies tend to move hub to hub and your vehicles get moved many times or sit in a yard. His name is Greg...Let me get the number and I will post it up..he has arranged 3 or 4 transports within the year for me..enclosed and ooen..
Gen1Trooper
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby Gen1Trooper » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 pm

360-464-2584
Greg.
Worth a shot and I have had no issues and all the drivers and trucks were great..I trust him to move my old cars.

For this post the author Gen1Trooper was thanked by:
5009TWI
Gen1Trooper
Donor
Donor

Postby 5009TWI » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Excellent, great to hear form somebody with first hand experience! Also cool that they assign a dedicated a driver.

Will reach out to him when I get a chance. We'll see if he can handle the Trooper (which is still in the middle of the engine rebuild and will need to be winched up). Thanks a bunch!
1992 Amigo S 2WD 4ZE1 5spd "Pequeña Blanca" Went on the hunt for a sensible, practical commuter car and instead I ended up buying this. People continually ask what kind of Jeep it is. Wife says it feels like a large go-kart.

1997 Trooper S-Pep 5spd "Midori" Project car to help me stay sane during post-college career hunt. All windows converted from electric to manual. Super-snazzy Mexican blankets on the seats. Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage. Currently swapping in 1992-1995 DOHC cylinder heads (so I can say goodbye to rocker arms + shafts) and rebuilding the remainder of the engine.

1990 GMC Suburban R1500 SLE 350TBI "Regina" Daily driver from 2005 all the way until I bought the Trooper in 2015. Over 230K miles and still going strong. Still intermittently serves as daily-driver between the Trooper and Amigo. Hopefully soon will resume the long nap until I can throw in an LQ4 & T56.
5009TWI
Loyal P'up

Postby Gen1Trooper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:00 am

He can handle it but keep in mind that if the vehicle does not run so it can be driven on and off the trailer drivers usually charge more. Let Greg know and maybe he can work it out. He is a broker like 99% of the listings out there but I have not had one issue and all my deliveries were on time or early. So I would use him again without hesitation to arrange the transport.
Gen1Trooper
Donor
Donor

Postby 5009TWI » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Again [per your PM I just replied to], thanks!

5009TWI
Loyal P'up

Postby QuantumRift » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:50 am

Here are the folks I have used cross-country. This is a top-notch outfit that I trusted my motorcycle to.

Here's the deal: Do NOT contract with ANYBODY who want's the entire amount UP FRONT. You will get ripped off for sure.

I went with Captitol Auto Transport mainly BECAUSE they did not CHARGE my credit card for the full amount up front. They are a broker and use only the TOP RATED transporters in the nation. I can vouch for this: I trusted my motorcycle to them (enclosed transport)...they picked up on a Thurs afternoon in SE Arizona and delivered to Central OH on Sunday morning. I think you may even still find my testimonial on their site. I recommended them to several friends over the past few years as well with no complaints. What was also nice was that I could 'bid' a price as well and was able to save some $$$. Check 'em out and let me know what you find.

http://www.capitolautotransport.com

5009TWI wrote:Anybody have good/bad experience with a particular auto transport service?

I don't know when (which is why I didn't post it in the Parts Transport section) but within approx the next 2 months I'll be looking to ship my Suburban, Amigo, and Trooper from Dallas, TX to Richmond, VA. Definitely wanting to get on this early so I can do my homework

Open air is doable but enclosed is preferable (yes I know how much that increases the costs)
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not at home, Opportunity waits."
"Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't do that thing."

1990 Isuzu LS SpaceCab 4x4 (Japanese-built, September 1989)
224,000 miles.
K&N Air Filter
2.6 L 4ZE1 engine, 5-spd manual
Monroe Sensa-track Load Adjusting Shocks (rear)
Monroe OE Spectrum Shocks (front)
MagnaFlow Muffler & Cat Converter
Akebono ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads (front)
Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic Brake Pads (rear)
Owned since 15 miles. Bought new Honolulu, HI in Oct '89.
Original sticker price: $15,000.
QuantumRift
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby 5009TWI » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:07 am

Hey QuantumRift, thanks for your suggestion. Absolutely will be reaching out to both brokers during my hunt.

Wish the housing hunt were going as smoothly, trying to find rentals with decent sized garages. I would totally be one of those guys who lives in an old machine shop but blah blah blah need to get city reclassification blah blah who knows if it has asbestos blah blah not a suitable place to raise a family blah blah blah

5009TWI
Loyal P'up

Return to General Chit Chat