last word on Isuzu

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

last word on Isuzu

Postby Ru Zu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 pm

My last visit with my Grandfather was at the VA hospital on Veteran's Day. Prior visits with the nearly 93 year old ww2 vet was in a national forest after he blew a tire on his 4 Wheeler, then jammed a stick between the axle and frame to limp home, like they did in the Philippines with jeeps. He was always a Ford man, I didn't fully realize why until he expressed great respect on how Ford could mobilize the war machines.

We spoke of my son who rehabbed a $100 Trooper, later he asked me what I drove and I admitted a Trooper as well. The Great story teller told many tales over the years of waiting for the wind to shift before demilitarizing the Rising Sun. One such story including that a 3 block trench was dug into which firearms and armament were dumped. He described tracked vehicles being driven over and back across the busted up armor filled trenches.

Soon Japanese authorities requested harvesting the now large scrap piles. The request was explained a that scrap would make a good source of raw material to fuel the in rebuilding steel mills. Grandpa paused before expressing, and that is what your Isuzu is made out of.

Rest in Peace Grandpa.
98 & 99 Troopers
Ru Zu
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 22 times

Sponsor

Re: last word on Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:56 pm

A very good friend used to look at my Isuzu and he'd shake his head and say "From the helmets of dead Marines".
On a sad (and makes one angry) side note, I recently saw where third world countries are now retrieving and scrapping WWII wrecks (ships) from the waters of the Pacific - we're talking ships under 200-300 feet of water - and historic, Famous wrecks too (HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse - Dec. 1941, USS Houston) These have been "picked at", but the Submarine USS Perch - lost with all hands, has completely disappeared - bodies and all. Makes my blood boil. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 606 times

Postby lorenzo816 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:06 am

wow just wow
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
MY Pictures and Videos and Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
Uwharrie was my backyard - PM me if you need anything
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 52 times

Postby N law » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:27 am

I just read up on the Perch because that story seemed fascinating. It seems that the SS 176 Perch was scuttled after an abandoned ship order was given. Apparently a diving crew stumbled upon the wreckage looking for other wrecks and it was scrapped after that. The wikipedia page definitely said that it was not a war grave since it had been abandoned. That makes me feel better about it, but still raises concern about ships that are a war grave.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter

For this post the author N law was thanked by:
DSUZU
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby Von » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm

The Perch reminded me there's a poll going on at the Zone about the Arizona. PBS sent some cameras down there to peek around. I think it aired in November.

The poll results are overwhelmingly No, let the dead rest in peace.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Postby gwana66 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a push to "do something" about the Arizona, seeing as how it's still polluting the environment. :roll:

My dad was a Marine in WWII and had the same sentiment toward anything Japanese or Chinese (he was stationed in China). I'm always thankful that he and other veterans kept me shielded from the horrors that led them to view another group of people in that sort of light. I never really understood his apparent racism until after he was gone, and I'm forever grateful that he took no steps to instill it in me. He would be 99 now, but passed in '85 - I was 18.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 194 times

Postby DSUZU » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks Nick. I hadn't actually looked into the story of the Perch. I do know that most subs that were lost went with all hands. Yes, this does bring (just a little) relief. Still, hearing about the other wrecks still angers me. Messing with these old wrecks is flat out dangerous as old munitions are usually very unstable and can explode without much movement. The British Ships, and particularly the Houston, should be sacred ground - Just like the Arizona. FWIW, the Houston fought until she was out of ammunition, the last gun, a .50 cal, being fired by a Marine in the foretop.
As to the Arizona, these are documented surveys that are done every few years to determine the condition and deterioration of the remains (ships). The surveys are done with the utmost of discression, and it was explained that if any human remains are still there, they are covered by silt - which was visible in the film. I do know that they looked into trying to do something about the oil leak, but don't know why it never happened. She was topped off with 1 million gallons of fuel the day before the attack. Dennis
EDIT: WWII vets - particularly Pacific vets and "racism". Racism actually got us into that war as the powers that be thought the Japanese to not be capable of what they did. The atrocities that these Veterans witnessed and experienced certainly would leave a lasting bitterness. The Japanese had their own attitudes of racism, which led to much of the atrocities. A friend, whose father was on a US sub, STILL speaks of the Japanese with utter contempt. I am a deep follower of the WWII Pacific theater, but I also realize that it was 75 plus years ago. It is the past - be it the Arizona, or Hiroshima.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 606 times

Return to General Chit Chat